inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: These years are numerically special!

Written By: temaichi on 03/22/21 at 3:31 pm

Since nobody is adressing this, my number of years obsessed self will do it himself. xD

I don't think anyone pays attention to the number of years as much as i do haha.
I just realised that we are sorta getting four aesthetically pleasing numbers of years in a row!

Hear me out.

2019 is cool because it visually looks and sounds like a countdown (20-19)
2020 is perfect because it's symmetrical, nice and round and sounds "futuristic" when you say it (20-20)
2021 is cool because it visually looks and sounds like a count up (20-21)

I also find 2022 pleasing 'cause all the digits have the number "2" in them except from one! Gives me that "glitch in the matrix" type of vibe like 1999. Some people might like to refer that year as "99" which is sonically cool because both of the digits share the same number and so will next year if you refer it in short as "22."

This is rare, guys. You might get one or two aesthetically and sonically pleasing years once in a while (like, 1991 or 2002) but to get them four times in a row like this is pretty cool! Such a shame that they are being wasted in a pandemic of all years but let's try and appreciate the small moments and make the most of what we have.

https://as2.ftcdn.net/jpg/02/10/06/53/500_F_210065373_7wupsVUiAIF5WEUuiJ6OjfF6Lx8zWqUT.jpg

Subject: Re: These years are numerically special!

Written By: kr37 on 03/22/21 at 4:06 pm

All of the years of the 2020s sound nice to say because part of their names are "twenty-twenty," so they sound symmetrical, unlike years like 2005, 2016, or 2036. 2030 is also a nice year to say because it sounds like you are counting up by multiples of ten.

Written By: temaichi on 03/22/21 at 4:27 pm

All of the years of the 2020s sound nice to say because part of their names are "twenty-twenty," so they sound symmetrical, unlike years like 2005, 2016, or 2036. 2030 is also a nice year to say because it sounds like you are counting up by multiples of ten.

That's true. That does sound like you are counting up by multiples of ten! I only thought of that recently actually.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/21 at 7:50 pm

Hopefully 2022 won't be a bad year because it sounds like "2020 too", lol.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/21 at 7:58 pm

"Twenty twenty" in general is fun to say so that's one plus about this decade.

Written By: temaichi on 03/23/21 at 1:14 am

Hopefully 2022 won't be a bad year because it sounds like "2020 too", lol.

Hopefully it won't be a sequel to that horrible year! It makes me sad to even say that because 2020 is such a gorgeous number.
I remember when alot of us were hyped for that year simply because of the number alone.

I think 2022 is the last aesthetically pleasing year. The years after that are a little weird...
They look and sound like a setting coming from a sci-fi movie or something and i love sci-fi but wow.

Written By: temaichi on 03/23/21 at 1:20 am

It has a nice ring to it tbh. Almost like "Nineteen Ninety" before you say the last digit.
The years from the 1990s and the 2020s are fun to say. Honourable mention for the 2000s ofcourse. I like saying "2000 and..."

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/21 at 1:40 am

As 2020 approached we all thought the it would be a clearer year, but... ?

Written By: Howard on 03/23/21 at 7:41 am

As 2020 approached we all thought the it would be a clearer year, but... ?

The pandemic happened. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/21 at 7:42 am

The pandemic happened. :(
Yes the pandemic happen, still is happening, but start in 2019.

Written By: nally on 03/23/21 at 5:03 pm

Of course, you get the occasional pronunciation of "two thousand twenty-" but that seems to be phasing out by now.

Besides, for the four-digit years prior to 2000, the year was always read as two two-digit numbers placed side-by-side (for example, "1999" is always read as "nineteen ninety-nine" rather than "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine", perhaps because the latter was wordy).

Written By: temaichi on 03/23/21 at 6:11 pm

Of course, you get the occasional pronunciation of "two thousand twenty-" but that seems to be phasing out by now.

Besides, for the four-digit years prior to 2000, the year was always read as two two-digit numbers placed side-by-side (for example, "1999" is always read as "nineteen ninety-nine" rather than "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine", perhaps because the latter was wordy).

Hahahahahahah! ;D ;D The "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine" bit got me laughing! It would be funny if people read it like that!!

Written By: nally on 03/23/21 at 11:15 pm

Hahahahahahah! ;D ;D The "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine" bit got me laughing! It would be funny if people read it like that!!

There might be someone out there who actually did say the year like that (in English).

But in certain languages, it's read equivalently. For example, in Spanish 1999 is "mil novecientos noventa y nueve", which translates literally to "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine". (Rather than "diecinueve noventa y nueve".)

Of course, this year in Spanish is "dos mil veinte y uno".

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/21 at 4:15 am

Prince said "two thousand zero zero" and "nineteen ninety nine".

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/21 at 9:30 am

There might be someone out there who actually did say the year like that (in English).

But in certain languages, it's read equivalently. For example, in Spanish 1999 is "mil novecientos noventa y nueve", which translates literally to "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine". (Rather than "diecinueve noventa y nueve".)

Of course, this year in Spanish is "dos mil veinte y uno".

It is the same in French, "mille neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-neuf" for 1999, or "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine". I have also heard people say "dix-neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-neuf" which would translate to "nineteen hundred ninety nine".

"Deux mille vingt-et-un" for 2021.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/24/21 at 9:41 am

It has long been known in marketing that certain numbers appeal, or are more memorable, than others. Didn't you ever wonder why things are ALWAYS priced at the seemingly awkward $99.99 rather than the apparently easier $100? It's called psychological pricing strategy.

Read on:

www.tacticssellshightech.com/2011/09/30/setting-your-price-why-99-99-is-better-than-100/#:~:text=Instead%20of%20ending%20in%20.,%2499.99%2C%20%24999.%2C%20etc.&text=This%20is%20why%20when%20setting,%24100%2C%20and%20instead%20use%20%2499.99.

Excerpt:

Some people often wonder why prices are set at at numerical values that are close to round numbers. Instead of ending in .00, which can be simplified to a simple decimal point “.” – prices are set a little lower and have lots of digits, ending in repeated 9’s – $99.99, $999., etc. The way our brains process information is such that seemingly minor price changes have huge impacts on how they are perceived. This is why when setting price points it is better not to round off to an even number, like $100, and instead use $99.99.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/21 at 10:05 am

It has long been known in marketing that certain numbers appeal, or are more memorable, than others. Didn't you ever wonder why things are ALWAYS priced at the seemingly awkward $99.99 rather than the apparently easier $100? It's called psychological pricing strategy.

Read on:

www.tacticssellshightech.com/2011/09/30/setting-your-price-why-99-99-is-better-than-100/#:~:text=Instead%20of%20ending%20in%20.,%2499.99%2C%20%24999.%2C%20etc.&text=This%20is%20why%20when%20setting,%24100%2C%20and%20instead%20use%20%2499.99.

Excerpt:

Some people often wonder why prices are set at at numerical values that are close to round numbers. Instead of ending in .00, which can be simplified to a simple decimal point “.” – prices are set a little lower and have lots of digits, ending in repeated 9’s – $99.99, $999., etc. The way our brains process information is such that seemingly minor price changes have huge impacts on how they are perceived. This is why when setting price points it is better not to round off to an even number, like $100, and instead use $99.99.
I have not read the report in full, I also believed it centred on proving the honestly the cashier in giving back the change.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 6:57 pm

2022 sounds cool so I think that will be a fun year. Then again I said the same about 2020 and we saw how that turned out.  :P

I agree that is a plus for this decade and that kind of reminds me of the 2000s since 2000 sounded cool. The 2010s didn't have this. The numeric names for each year were very boring.

Written By: kr37 on 04/03/21 at 8:30 pm

Today is an interesting date because it is 4/3/21!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/21 at 10:07 am

Here in the UK, the date reads as 12/5/21!

Check for new replies or respond here...