inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 2019/Early 2020 Nostalgic Already?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/22/21 at 10:00 pm

Think about it, this was the last time everyone in the world remembers life as normal prior to the pandemic. People probably have nostalgic memories of going to the movie theatres at this time and walking maskless in the mall during the holiday rush without distancing. Plus the last Christmas the entire family eas together, etc. Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Late 2019/Early 2020 Nostalgic Already?

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/21 at 10:10 pm

No, at least here in Ontario everythng is open and everyone is acting like the pandemic is over, so it's pretty much the same as 2019 at least superficially.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/21 at 3:13 am

All was open in the Philippines, restaurants, travel, etc, until a few days ago when it was announced of the beckoning third wave.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/21 at 7:32 am

Think about it, this was the last time everyone in the world remembers life as normal prior to the pandemic. People probably have nostalgic memories of going to the movie theatres at this time and walking maskless in the mall during the holiday rush without distancing. Plus the last Christmas the entire family was together, etc. Thoughts?

I can remember when going places without wearing face masks was normal and the neighborhoods were lively, now just about everywhere seems quiet.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 03/25/21 at 2:41 pm

I don't think I would be as nostalgic for 2019, let alone 2015-2018, since I had enough personal problems that I had to deal with back then.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/26/21 at 3:31 pm

More early 2020 than late 2019, but that's more for personal reasons. There was even a brief window during the summer of 2020 that felt relieving. It was like the first taste of freedom after the first wave with many places loosening restrictions.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/21 at 7:46 am

I feel nostalgic cause I can remember a time when we didn't wear face masks at all.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/27/21 at 8:01 am

I don't think I would be as nostalgic for 2019, let alone 2015-2018, since I had enough personal problems that I had to deal with back then.

I'm somewhat nostalgic for the later half of 2018 and even a little bit of 2019 being the last pre-pandemic year. But something about late 2018 had a fun vibe to it.

More early 2020 than late 2019, but that's more for personal reasons. There was even a brief window during the summer of 2020 that felt relieving. It was like the first taste of freedom after the first wave with many places loosening restrictions.

I felt that too. Almost didn't feel right that everything was looking like it was back to normal other than some people wearing masks and social distancing markers. Anything seemed like an improvement from March and April of 2020 when people were literally afraid to leave their homes and breathe the air outside and ran out of toilet paper.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/27/21 at 4:54 pm

The early days of the pandemic I do miss. I realize it was horrible for a lot of people but in my world it was unique and mostly ok. The bad parts being stores being out of stuff and me not allowed to leave the county. But we had little to no cases up here. It was peaceful. The rude tourists stayed home. I had a reason to stay home except for work because I work in essential manufacturing for food plants, power plants, etc. People who were able could work from home. I got a lot done at work because it was quiet. We had split shifts, so I could sleep in every day and work till early evening, that was so nice. We worked 6 hours and got paid for 8 like a hazard pay. Also the company was giving out food vouchers to support local takeout places, $35 a week for like a month. The throwback music was new and exciting. TV was unique with broadcasting raw footage from home in pajamas was the new thing.

Now it seems (not everything) but for the most part things are back to normal. And yet it’s more dangerous than ever out there.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 1:28 am

The early days of the pandemic I do miss. I realize it was horrible for a lot of people but in my world it was unique and mostly ok. The bad parts being stores being out of stuff and me not allowed to leave the county. But we had little to no cases up here. It was peaceful. The rude tourists stayed home. I had a reason to stay home except for work because I work in essential manufacturing for food plants, power plants, etc. People who were able could work from home. I got a lot done at work because it was quiet. We had split shifts, so I could sleep in every day and work till early evening, that was so nice. We worked 6 hours and got paid for 8 like a hazard pay. Also the company was giving out food vouchers to support local takeout places, $35 a week for like a month. The throwback music was new and exciting. TV was unique with broadcasting raw footage from home in pajamas was the new thing.

Now it seems (not everything) but for the most part things are back to normal. And yet it’s more dangerous than ever out there.

Oddly enough I see what you mean. It was a unique situation and there was a lot of mystery around it when the pandemic first started. So the fact that something was changing made it feel special but of course the change wasn't good after all the lives that have been lost.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 1:32 am

I'm somewhat nostalgic for the later half of 2018 and even a little bit of 2019 being the last pre-pandemic year. But something about late 2018 had a fun vibe to it.

I felt that too. Almost didn't feel right that everything was looking like it was back to normal other than some people wearing masks and social distancing markers. Anything seemed like an improvement from March and April of 2020 when people were literally afraid to leave their homes and breathe the air outside and ran out of toilet paper.

I remember early in the summer the media instantly shifted their talk about the pandemic over to BLM as if the pandemic never happened. But it was a false flag and the pandemic did not stop even in the summer at least in my town. You still had people wearing masks, social distancing markers on the floor, reduced hours, and some stores not accepting cash. It did not feel anything like normal. Actually I think last summer was confirmation that the normal we remember won't come back in a long time despite the reducing case numbers, it was pretty depressing honestly. We did not see something the same as late 2019 and early 2020 last summer at least not where I live we never returned back to that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/21 at 10:51 am

I remember early in the summer the media instantly shifted their talk about the pandemic over to BLM as if the pandemic never happened. But it was a false flag and the pandemic did not stop even in the summer at least in my town. You still had people wearing masks, social distancing markers on the floor, reduced hours, and some stores not accepting cash. It did not feel anything like normal. Actually I think last summer was confirmation that the normal we remember won't come back in a long time despite the reducing case numbers, it was pretty depressing honestly. We did not see something the same as late 2019 and early 2020 last summer at least not where I live we never returned back to that.

I remember sharing a meme on FB with a picture of Forrest Gump with the caption "And just like that, people stopped worrying about the pandemic". But in the States when we had a 2nd wave during July and August (at least in the Southern States with all the gatherings during the hotter weather) it became news again. Dealing with both issues it was depressing and frustrating, seeing my city/state deteriorating. If anything it was like 2016 on steroids. Nobody seems to remember or talk about that year since 2020 was way worse.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/28/21 at 12:05 pm

Last summer was pretty normal, if not beyond normal. Restriction enforcement went out the window, I assume to let summer businesses make their money to get them through the winter. People were flooding into my area like I’ve never seen before. Traffic backups on the bridge like I’d never seen. I even saw Guatemala plates. I could sell my house right now for twice what I paid for it, but I’d pay twice that much for another one too. People packing into little tourist shops like sardines. Yet our numbers stayed relatively low for months, we were down to under 100 cases a day at one point. Once we put the kids back in school is when our numbers started to shoot up. They have continued to rise and we are up to 5000 cases a day right now. Yet it’s the dead time of year, not much tourist activity. Too cold to do anything, but not enough snow to do anything. I think the kids are the silent superspreaders.

BLM was all over the news but we don’t have any big cities where the riots are destruction would happen. Would have had no idea it it wasn’t for media.

One thing I miss pre-pandemic is building material prices. There were some things I wanted to build but I couldn’t afford to right now. Hard telling if prices will ever go back down.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 2:06 pm

Last summer was pretty normal, if not beyond normal. Restriction enforcement went out the window, I assume to let summer businesses make their money to get them through the winter. People were flooding into my area like I’ve never seen before. Traffic backups on the bridge like I’d never seen. I even saw Guatemala plates. I could sell my house right now for twice what I paid for it, but I’d pay twice that much for another one too. People packing into little tourist shops like sardines. Yet our numbers stayed relatively low for months, we were down to under 100 cases a day at one point. Once we put the kids back in school is when our numbers started to shoot up. They have continued to rise and we are up to 5000 cases a day right now. Yet it’s the dead time of year, not much tourist activity. Too cold to do anything, but not enough snow to do anything. I think the kids are the silent superspreaders.

BLM was all over the news but we don’t have any big cities where the riots are destruction would happen. Would have had no idea it it wasn’t for media.

One thing I miss pre-pandemic is building material prices. There were some things I wanted to build but I couldn’t afford to right now. Hard telling if prices will ever go back down.

You're lucky then. Restrictions never went away in my city even with fewer than 100 cases. Social distancing markers, masks, border control, etc. It never went back to normal. It was depressing because it seemed like it would end and we were no longer where we were in March. But it never ended.

Check for new replies or respond here...