inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think 2010s holdovers will be completely gone?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 6:53 pm

Most of us can agree this cultural decade started in 2020 with the Coronavirus. But my question is when do you think all of the leftovers from the previous decade will be gone? Last decade it was 2011. Do you think we can see 2010s holdovers completely gone by the end of this year? I myself doubt it. I think we will still be hearing trap music and people will still be on Instagram for a couple of years. I can see 2010s leftovers hanging around until 2023.

Subject: Re: When do you think 2010s holdovers will be completely gone?

Written By: passthegabagool on 03/28/21 at 7:06 pm

IMO it was 2013 when 2000s Holdovers disappeared. Yes, 2009 is when 2010s trends first began and 2011 is when they became more clear, but 2013 is when they took over and killed any 2000s Holdovers. If you look at the transition from the 1990s to the 2000s, its the same, but with 1999, 2001, and 2003 instead...

Now, I consider Spring 2019 - Winter 2020 to be what the Early 2020s years could've been like if COVID-19 hadn't become a pandemic in March 2020. I noticed a change in music, fashion, etc. from 2016-2018 in 2019 (and the 2019 style is what's popular today). So, IMO, 2019 is when the first "2020s" (using lightly because it was pre-COVID) trends started. Later in 2021 I can see them becoming clearer, and in 2023 I can see them killing the 2010s Trends.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/21 at 7:30 pm

Now, I consider Spring 2019 - Winter 2020 to be what the Early 2020s years could've been like if COVID-19 hadn't become a pandemic in March 2020. I noticed a change in music, fashion, etc. from 2017 and 2018 in 2019 (and the 2019 style is what's popular today). So, IMO, 2019 is when the first "2020s" (using lightly because it was pre-COVID) trends started. Later in 2021 I can see them becoming clearer, and in 2023 I can see them killing the 2010s Trends.

I agree but I noticed it more in late 2019.

Written By: passthegabagool on 03/28/21 at 7:44 pm

I agree but I noticed it more in late 2019.
TikTok, DaBaby blowing up, and Old Town Road make Spring 2019 feel different. I do think Fall 2019 cemented the transition though.

Written By: CarCar on 03/28/21 at 7:45 pm

IMO it was 2013 when 2000s Holdovers disappeared. Yes, 2009 is when 2010s trends first began and 2011 is when they became more clear, but 2013 is when they took over and killed any 2000s Holdovers. If you look at the transition from the 1990s to the 2000s, its the same, but with 1999, 2001, and 2003 instead...

Now, I consider Spring 2019 - Winter 2020 to be what the Early 2020s years could've been like if COVID-19 hadn't become a pandemic in March 2020. I noticed a change in music, fashion, etc. from 2016-2018 in 2019 (and the 2019 style is what's popular today). So, IMO, 2019 is when the first "2020s" (using lightly because it was pre-COVID) trends started. Later in 2021 I can see them becoming clearer, and in 2023 I can see them killing the 2010s Trends.

Per your explanation, mid-late 2020s will be peak 2020s

Written By: xenzue on 03/29/21 at 6:31 am

I think somewhere around 2022/2023 is when even late 2010s influence will be seen as very dated. Most of the fate is already written.

Instagram is dying, it’ll take years for it to be what myspace was, but its
monthly user base has been dwindling since late 2019, with tik tok and twitter absorbing most of their users. Tik Tok will probably remain the king of 2020s social media, followed by surprisingly Twitter.

Fahion has largely shifted from the Instagram-based influencer styles pioneered by 2010s millennials to more diverse Gen Z styles: retro indie, y2k, high fashion, cyberpunk, techwear, goth, street wear, maximalism, mid 2000s, etc. Worldwide, a trend is many Gen Zers are reintroducing updated traditional attire with modern accessories. Nowadays broadly speaking you can easily tell a Gen Zer from a Millennial.

Emo Rap has been dead for 3 years now, and that wave of artists are pretty irrelevant now. Music in the mainstream is still very recognizable to the late/mid 2010s, but the underground has shifted entirely to a new 2020s sound. It takes a while for these trends to surface to the mainstream but with tik tok speeding up the process, we’ll get a first “pure 2020s” pop song reach top 10 within 1-2 years.

Slang is very reminiscent of late 2010s but they’re a lot of references/slang/memes now that are alien to someone from 2019. Internet makes things like this move very quickly.

Hipsterism and early 2010s minimalism is now seen as uniquely from the past, they’re fully a part of history now. Pretty soon will be Instagram influencers too, replaced by Tik Tokers which is just as annoying tbh.

Also important to note: People like The Weeknd, Drake, and Nicki Minaj still being popular isn’t a representation of us still being in culturally in the 2010s, they’re cultural behemoths who will be in the public eye for decades to come.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/29/21 at 9:02 am

I think somewhere around 2022/2023 is when even late 2010s influence will be seen as very dated. Most of the fate is already written.

monthly user base has been dwindling since late 2019, with tik tok and twitter absorbing most of their users. Tik Tok will probably remain the king of 2020s social media, followed by surprisingly Twitter.

Fahion has largely shifted from the Instagram-based influencer styles pioneered by 2010s millennials to more diverse Gen Z styles: retro indie, y2k, high fashion, cyberpunk, techwear, goth, street wear, maximalism, mid 2000s, etc. Worldwide, a trend is many Gen Zers are reintroducing updated traditional attire with modern accessories. Nowadays broadly speaking you can easily tell a Gen Zer from a Millennial.

Emo Rap has been dead for 3 years now, and that wave of artists are pretty irrelevant now. Music in the mainstream is still very recognizable to the late/mid 2010s, but the underground has shifted entirely to a new 2020s sound. It takes a while for these trends to surface to the mainstream but with tik tok speeding up the process, we’ll get a first “pure 2020s” pop song reach top 10 within 1-2 years.

Slang is very reminiscent of late 2010s but they’re a lot of references/slang/memes now that are alien to someone from 2019. Internet makes things like this move very quickly.

Hipsterism and early 2010s minimalism is now seen as uniquely from the past, they’re fully a part of history now. Pretty soon will be Instagram influencers too, replaced by Tik Tokers which is just as annoying tbh.

Also important to note: People like The Weeknd, Drake, and Nicki Minaj still being popular isn’t a representation of us still being in culturally in the 2010s, they’re cultural behemoths who will be in the public eye for decades to come.

You are right on the pulse of things!

Written By: passthegabagool on 03/29/21 at 9:25 am

I agree, its the same with Kanye West who's first album debuted in 2004 and is still popular.

Also, in the topic of 2020s sounding hits. IMO that New York Drill sound introduced in 2019 by Pop Smoke (Not to be confused with 2012-2014ish era Drill) does sound like the sound of Early 2020s.

Also, Songs like "Mood" by 24kGoldn sounds new too, pop punk mixed with trap. Hell, even Late 2010s emo rappers like Trippie Redd are moving towards pop punk trap.

I think Hyperpop might stay underground, but who knows. It could become huge.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/21 at 12:17 pm

I'm hoping Tik Tok will only be an early 2020s trend. It's so annoying.

Written By: passthegabagool on 03/29/21 at 2:05 pm

I'm hoping Tik Tok will only be an early 2020s trend. It's so annoying.
Vine was a 2013-2016 thing so I'm hoping TikTok ends up just being just a few years too. I honestly don't see it lasting longer either. It blew up to where it is now in 2019 so I hope that only lasts until 2022 or 2023.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/29/21 at 2:11 pm

I'll never join TikTok. That is sad news about IG dying because I've been enjoying it even though it's also owned by FB. IG is like the one feature I enjoyed about FB (sharing pics) while Twitter is like what I hated about FB (sharing your thoughts). I actually miss MySpace and don't remember ever having a negative feeling about like I do with FB (always hated it as long as I can remember, and plan to deactivate it soon).

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/30/21 at 8:59 am

Probably by 2023. I would also add the likelihood of some 2019 trends dying out by then as well. If you look back at other transitional eras (1989-1991, 1999-2001, 2009-2011), you'll find trends unique solely to those periods. 

I also don't view the start and end of cultural decades in a rigid way like some others do. I tend to follow the "Prelude, Zeitgeist, and Echo" model. Currently, we're in the "2020s Prelude/2010s Echo" period. Both the Prelude & Echo periods overlap, but the Zeitgeist is the true heart and soul of a cultural decade removed from the previous one and too early for the next.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/30/21 at 1:58 pm

I was always hoping Facebook to go the way of MySpace, but that's probably never going to happen. In fact, I see FB becoming more powerful and literally taking over the internet by acquiring Google and Microsoft, or at least competing laterally with them by creating their own OS.

Probably by 2023. I would also add the likelihood of some 2019 trends dying out by then as well. If you look back at other transitional eras (1989-1991, 1999-2001, 2009-2011), you'll find trends unique solely to those periods. 

I also don't view the start and end of cultural decades in a rigid way like some others do. I tend to follow the "Prelude, Zeitgeist, and Echo" model. Currently, we're in the "2020s Prelude/2010s Echo" period. Both the Prelude & Echo periods overlap, but the Zeitgeist is the true heart and soul of a cultural decade removed from the previous one and too early for the next.

I'm not really sure what those words mean, but I see what you're saying. It's just that cultures don't necessarily have to follow numerical rules. 2020 just happen to have the pandemic which abruptly ended the 2010's as we knew it, and hopefully this transitional period we're in will be short lived once the vaccination roll out reduces the number/severity of the cases. Overall this century it seems like the changes between decades are less noticeable and more gradual, at least compared to going from the disco 70's to the new wave/pop 80's and to the grunge/alternative 90's.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/03/21 at 9:52 pm

I still see a lot of Gen Zers who are into that athleisure look. I just wish "street fashion" would die off but it seems like it is gonna be here to say for another decade or two.

I will be very surprised if Nicki Minaj is still charting in 2030

Written By: Slim95 on 04/04/21 at 3:48 am

I will be very surprised if Nicki Minaj is still charting in 2030

Same. I haven't heard from Niki Minaj since 2017. It seems like she's done with music (let's hope!)

Written By: xenzue on 04/04/21 at 5:56 am

As far as I know she has one album left due to her contract, and she earned two number ones last year. I don’t think she’s going anywhere anytime soon. I don’t think Drake or Nicki will be charting in 2030 but they’ll still be very well known and constantly in the public eye, they’ll probably have moved into business much like Jay Z or Akon.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/21 at 7:58 am

I think Nicki was replaced by Cardi B.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/04/21 at 11:17 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Tiktok went the way of Vine. I've never used Tiktok and even I notice how much it's starting to wear out.

Written By: CarCar on 04/04/21 at 11:58 pm

As far as I know she has one album left due to her contract, and she earned two number ones last year. I don’t think she’s going anywhere anytime soon. I don’t think Drake or Nicki will be charting in 2030 but they’ll still be very well known and constantly in the public eye, they’ll probably have moved into business much like Jay Z or Akon.

I feel like Rihanna has already gone this path and her fans are going to have to accept that

Written By: wixness on 04/05/21 at 4:37 am

I'll never join TikTok. That is sad news about IG dying because I've been enjoying it even though it's also owned by FB. IG is like the one feature I enjoyed about FB (sharing pics) while Twitter is like what I hated about FB (sharing your thoughts). I actually miss MySpace and don't remember ever having a negative feeling about like I do with FB (always hated it as long as I can remember, and plan to deactivate it soon).

I'm more sad about Tumblr and deviantArt going the way of the dodo. Never liked IG and TikTok because it felt too 2010s for me. I did wish I had a MySpace when it was well known for its garish user profiles but I was too young to have an account then, and the site changed when I became old enough to be on social media.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/05/21 at 8:10 am

I'm more sad about Tumblr and deviantArt going the way of the dodo. Never liked IG and TikTok because it felt too 2010s for me. I did wish I had a MySpace when it was well known for its garish user profiles but I was too young to have an account then, and the site changed when I became old enough to be on social media.

There is a site friendproject.net which looks more like the old classic MySpace than the current MySpace.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/09/21 at 7:34 am

When the apocalypse/tribulation begins. So probably later this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/09/21 at 5:35 pm

When the apocalypse/tribulation begins. So probably later this year.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8v6Z3YyULB5Q0Skbac/giphy.gif

Written By: wixness on 04/09/21 at 6:09 pm

There is a site friendproject.net which looks more like the old classic MySpace than the current MySpace.
I'm admittedly quite suspicious of it because of its association with a Christian fundamentalist organization.
I did set up a Friendproject account but eventually forgot about it, in small part for similar reasons for why I left Tumblr (envious of people) and in larger part because I found it wasn't for me - it just feels like a sheer imitation of MySpace more than an actual continuation of it, and I got bored of it (the pre-existing community I associated with on Tumblr appealed toi me more, and Friendproject was just seen as a "backup" in case Tumblr's bans on certain content got overboard).

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/10/21 at 3:26 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/8v6Z3YyULB5Q0Skbac/giphy.gif

Don't say I didn't warn ya

Written By: Sman12 on 04/10/21 at 7:31 pm

I'm gonna agree with everyone else here and say 2023 at the latest. We'll still have the pandemic in some form (if vaccines are successful worldwide) by 2022, but hopefully society would've further improved by then. Right now, it does seem like we're in an early 2020s "prelude" (thanks, APDCR) with the societal effects/potential aftermath of COVID (duh) TikTok, the Biden presidency, 9th gen/4K/8K gaming, and newly popular music subgenres such as Brooklyn drill.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/10/21 at 8:47 pm

I'm gonna agree with everyone else here and say 2023 at the latest. We'll still have the pandemic in some form (if vaccines are successful worldwide) by 2022, but hopefully society would've further improved by then. Right now, it does seem like we're in an early 2020s "prelude" (thanks, APDCR) with the societal effects/potential aftermath of COVID (duh) TikTok, the Biden presidency, 9th gen/4K/8K gaming, and newly popular music subgenres such as Brooklyn drill.

We're almost finished the early 2020s. Once the pandemic is done, the early '20s are over and we would be in the mid '20s. But keep in mind just because vaccinations get put out doesn't mean everything gets back to normal. There is still the aftermath and consequences to deal with.

Check for new replies or respond here...