inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This Generation is Over-Sensitive

Written By: Slim95 on 04/04/21 at 9:06 am

Everyone is offended over every little thing. Everyday you hear about another celebrity getting "cancelled". It feels like you're not even allowed to say things anymore or make jokes, free speech is gone.

Subject: Re: This Generation is Over-Sensitive

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/21 at 9:42 am

You're JUST noticing this?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/21 at 10:21 am

It started with Millennials in the Mid-2010's with the SJW culture, but Gen Z took it to a whole new level.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/04/21 at 10:43 am

Seems to me this “sue-happy” culture started in the 90s. But it’s been getting worse all the time.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/21 at 10:48 am

It started with Millennials in the Mid-2010's with the SJW culture, but Gen Z took it to a whole new level.

It pretty much comes out of the schools and the universities. They have become absolute places of indoctrination. Too bad, because colleges used to be bastions of free speech. The entire "free speech movement" of the 1960s came out of Berkeley College in 1964 with people like Mario Savio (look him up). Nowadays one wouldn't dare say a peep that wasn't the "party line" at Berkeley or any other school. You will be shamed, shouted down, cancelled and unpersoned.  A complete turnaround.  So we've now got at least an entire generation who have essentially been indoctrinated since childhood.  What used to be taught as theory, or as one way to look at things, is now taught as absolute fact. And heaven help you if you deviate from it.

By the way, a month or so ago I saw woman on Real Time with Bill Maher that has one of the most insightful explanations of cancel culture I have yet heard. I can't remember her name, but she was a millennial. She said it all stems from "zero tolerance" policies. "Zero tolerance" has been in schools, workplaces, etc for some time now. Millennials grew up with it and most assuredly did Gen Z.  Under "zero tolerance", if you do something against the rules (for example, something that might be interpreted as "hate speech" or something that is a "microagression") just ONCE you are OUT. That's it, case closed. Because they grew up with it, this has carried over into the culture at large. So now, if it is discovered you made an unfortunate remark on your Facebook, even if you were in high school then and you are now 28, you are OUT. One strike and you are out. Cancelled, shamed, unpersoned. Zero tolerance. Zero tolerance is bad.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/04/21 at 11:15 am

I wish George Carlin was still around. He'd be daring these people to try and cancel him. ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/04/21 at 11:43 am

There are literally hundreds of Youtube channels that peddle outright sexism and racism.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/21 at 12:32 pm

There are literally hundreds of Youtube channels that peddle outright sexism and racism.

Youtube, being a private company, can get rid of those if it wants to. People don't have a "right" to be on Youtube.  But in real life, free speech must be protected. Yes, even the vile stuff. The first amendment makes no distinction. It does not say "as long as you play nice your speech is protected".  THIS is what is says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/21 at 1:27 pm

Everyone is offended over every little thing. Everyday you hear about another celebrity getting "cancelled". It feels like you're not even allowed to say things anymore or make jokes, free speech is gone.

I know what you mean, this "cancel culture" is getting way out of hand, they've cancelled products, characters from TV and words you're not even supposed to say.

Written By: wixness on 04/04/21 at 1:50 pm

What are zoomers over-sensitive about?
If it's about race, they're learning more about how people are being othered or are sick of political inaction, or both. If it's about work, they're disillusioned by the supposed wonders of capitalism, either because it's manipulative, destructive to the environment or both.
For me I've always been quite sensitive about gender, and from experience, copyright.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/21 at 3:42 pm

Cher apologizes after being slammed for tweet over George Floyd’s death:

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-cher-divides-twitter-help-george-floyd-maybe-been-there-could-have-helped-20210403-6dyv3usyabh3pckvaxjimbzma4-story.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/04/21 at 5:12 pm

I know what you mean, this "cancel culture" is getting way out of hand, they've cancelled products, characters from TV and words you're not even supposed to say.

Yeah, this “cancel generation” is a bunch of wimps. They get offended by anything. They need to put on their big boy and big girl pants and stop being offended by everything they see.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/21 at 6:15 pm

Yeah, this “cancel generation” is a bunch of wimps. They get offended by anything. They need to put on their big boy and big girl pants and stop being offended by everything they see.

There are two words that are the cause of every bit of this. IDENTITY POLITICS. I wish we could go back to my old hippy Woodstock-era idealism of "we are all one" but identity politics doesn't allow for that either.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/04/21 at 6:52 pm

I'm a very liberal Democrat, and even *I* think cancel culture has gone too far. It's ridiculous. Cancel Dr. Seuss! Cancel Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima. Cancel classic movies. Cancel history.

I just recently watched Delirious and Raw for the first time ever, and while the gay and Asian jokes were a bit much, one has to remember that 1) it was the 80s, and 2) it was Eddie Murphy.

It's one thing to cancel a literal genocidal maniac like Christopher Columbus (He won't be missed) or a racist movie like Birth of a Nation or such isms and things that have caused serious harm. It's another to cancel everything indiscriminately like 1692 Salem. "So and so did/said this? Burn the witch!"

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/04/21 at 8:26 pm

I'm a very liberal Democrat, and even *I* think cancel culture has gone too far. It's ridiculous. Cancel Dr. Seuss! Cancel Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima. Cancel classic movies. Cancel history.

I just recently watched Delirious and Raw for the first time ever, and while the gay and Asian jokes were a bit much, one has to remember that 1) it was the 80s, and 2) it was Eddie Murphy.

It's one thing to cancel a literal genocidal maniac like Christopher Columbus (He won't be missed) or a racist movie like Birth of a Nation or such isms and things that have caused serious harm. It's another to cancel everything indiscriminately like 1692 Salem. "So and so did/said this? Burn the witch!"

The Seuss estate simply stopped printing some of it's least selling Seuss books with problematic or ambiguously problematic imagery. Books I'm willing to bet on my life that you've never heard of. And after announcing cessation, Dr. Seuss books sold more books than they had in years bringing in loads of cash for the Seuss estate.

As for Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima...do you really not see the problem with companies with largely white managements profiting on black imagery that borders on minstrelsy?

If not, then I gotta tell you...you're old news. The world is turning without you no matter how much you huff and puff about it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/21 at 8:39 pm

Even the most liberal people I know personally think this cancel culture is ridiculous.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/04/21 at 11:38 pm

Hmm....about the whole Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima imagery...

That depends on who actually has the slightest nerve to see black and white. Because I never did. Thankfully. To me they were just images of two people making me breakfast every morning. I don't "see" black or white". But I'm from a different generation.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/21 at 3:38 am

Like if you say something in this day and age they'll get offensive. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/05/21 at 3:41 am

That depends on who actually has the slightest nerve to see black and white. Because I never did. Thankfully. To me they were just images of two people making me breakfast every morning. I don't "see" black or white". But I'm from a different generation.

I just saw Uncle Ben as a rice product and Aunt Jemima as a syrup product.

Written By: wixness on 04/05/21 at 4:32 am

Some people are still seeing this as no excuse. I read somewhere about a Black man still wishing things would get better from his past and in more recent times because he's not seeing anything change.
I can't find the right article for this but I did find this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/being-a-black-man-in-america-is-exhausting-one-dads-take/ar-BB1eTzmx
No one generally assumes what white people do as a whole to the level of those who are black are.
Oh, I generally dislike MSN because it reminds me of tabloids here in the UK but this article isn't half bad.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/21 at 9:58 am

It isn't about having nerve to see color (Race/Ethnicity). You must be very fortunate to have lived a life where you weren't judged by your racial characteristics.

Written By: Emman on 04/05/21 at 3:41 pm

It isn't about having nerve to see color (Race/Ethnicity). You must be very fortunate to have lived a life where you weren't judged by your racial characteristics.

Many people, black, white, asian, ect are judged by their racial characteristics depending on the situation. A white person in a predominantly black area might have a hard time, get picked on, harassed, assaulted, murdered, with racial epithets thrown at them, there's many stories like that. 

Social justice types will often react to this by mentioning power imbalances in our society between blacks and whites(so white people can't be oppressed racially) but only singling out race(or gender) in that is extremely simplistic and ironically blind.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/05/21 at 5:54 pm

It can also be because I am mixed...I am of  all ethnicities. That could be why I see everyone as being the same. And, I grew up during a time where nobody really cared about someone's race. I went to public schools, where we all sat together during class and free time. It was nice.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/21 at 6:19 pm

It is all a distraction.

There ARE very offensive icons in our society. Since the beginning of time, those who were offended just had to chalk it up to the times we live in. But today, racism is having a reckoning. Aunt Jemima & Uncle Ben are VERY racist icons. Yeah, they tried to clean up the images over the years but you know what they say about lipstick and a pig. Then there are sport teams who use Native American names. That is VERY offensive and names SHOULD be changed.

As for Confederate statues, yeah, they SHOULD be taken down. They should have never been put up in the first place. They honored people who committed TREASON against this country. They should have been convicted not honored.

But, because the Republicans doesn't have any ideas, they have to convince people that they should be ANGRY over "cancel culture" even when something isn't being cancelled at all.  Republicans yelling "OMG! They are cancelling Mr. Potatohead." or "They are cancelling Dr. Seuss" when in fact, they are NOT being cancelled. The Republicans don't have a platform or any kind of ideas so they have to keep people angry! "Look what the libs are doing! They are cancelling the Muppets!"

To quote Carl Sandburg  “If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell”  And that is what the Republicans are doing. Pounding on the table and yelling like hell to distract everyone.

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/05/21 at 7:52 pm

When I was a kid I didn’t see color either. I watched Cosby Show and others and didn’t see them any different. My area is nearly all white and Native American, but I had a crush on a black girl in school and didn’t see her any different. I even made the comment that my aunt looked like Nell Carter because she did in the face and she was built the same and that’s all I saw. Didn’t go over too well with my bigoted family. It wasn’t until they started poking at people that I started seeing color. But I don’t think anything different of anyone for what they look like. We all got different backgrounds. Had I taken more after my dad I would have darker native skin, but I took more after my mom.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/21 at 7:24 am

Many people, black, white, asian, ect are judged by their racial characteristics depending on the situation. A white person in a predominantly black area might have a hard time, get picked on, harassed, assaulted, murdered, with racial epithets thrown at them, there's many stories like that. 

Social justice types will often react to this by mentioning power imbalances in our society between blacks and whites(so white people can't be oppressed racially) but only singling out race(or gender) in that is extremely simplistic and ironically blind.

And always treat people the way you want to be treated.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/06/21 at 9:23 am

Saw a meme with 2 little girls wearing identical dresses, 1 white the other black.  The white girl says to her father "look dad, I have a twin".  There's a song from South Pacific call "You've Got to be Carefully Taught".  Bigotry is learned, not innate.  But bigotry is personal while racism is structural, its white privilege, its the Ivanka (substitute for "Karen") calling 911 on a black dude, its Jim Crow and all its manifestations, its the chemical factory built in a black neighborhood, its the old Indian Schools and eugenics, its our history.  We all need to own it and not let ourselves repeat it

Written By: Slim95 on 04/10/21 at 5:53 pm

I miss the times when movies were actually funny, when SNL was funny, when comedians weren't silenced and funny parodies were around. I miss the times when people weren't afraid to stretch the limits and not in a weird way.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/21 at 7:24 am

I miss the times when movies were actually funny, when SNL was funny, when comedians weren't silenced and funny parodies were around. I miss the times when people weren't afraid to stretch the limits and not in a weird way.

I miss the times you could call someone a racist name and people would laugh about it without being offended about it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/11/21 at 8:32 am

I miss the times you could call someone a racist name and people would laugh about it without being offended about it.

Someone was always offended

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/14/21 at 7:10 pm

Eddie Murphy's not exactly been cancelled though, and those jokes have been controversial for decades. Gay activists were protesting against Eddie Murphy in the '90s. Can you really blame them? He was only able to make jokes about a deadly disease part of his comedy routine because it was associated with gay men. Now try to imagine being denigrated and dehumanized like that on a regular basis. Like you said, "it was the '80s."

Can identity politics go too far? Yes. I mean, I don't believe that comments from high school or 20+ years ago should necessarily come back to ruin a person's career in 2021, for example. I do think we should all try to be kinder and more understanding, including for past mistakes. But at the same time, a lot of the complaints about "cancel culture" come from people who haven't really had to deal with any of the prejudice or discrimination that they're complaining about getting "cancelled." So... I guess I have mixed feelings, myself.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/21 at 8:18 pm

Eddie Murphy's not exactly been cancelled though, and those jokes have been controversial for decades. Gay activists were protesting against Eddie Murphy in the '90s. Can you really blame them? He was only able to make jokes about a deadly disease part of his comedy routine because it was associated with gay men. Now try to imagine being denigrated and dehumanized like that on a regular basis. Like you said, "it was the '80s."

Can identity politics go too far? Yes. I mean, I don't believe that comments from high school or 20+ years ago should necessarily come back to ruin a person's career in 2021, for example. I do think we should all try to be kinder and more understanding, including for past mistakes. But at the same time, a lot of the complaints about "cancel culture" come from people who haven't really had to deal with any of the prejudice or discrimination that they're complaining about getting "cancelled." So... I guess I have mixed feelings, myself.

Your comments are very reasonable. The only thing I slightly disagree with is that the complaints about cancel culture come largely from people who don't have to deal with discrimination. This isn't entirely accurate. Many people I know of all stripes, including LGBTQ+, Black and Brown people feel cancel culture has gone too far.  Especially when it comes from affluent white people. Like Bill Maher says of such people, "stop being more offended than the victim!".

Written By: Howard on 04/17/21 at 4:41 am

Question is: Why are we being over-sensitive in the first place? ???

Written By: GameXcaper on 04/17/21 at 10:08 am

Question is: Why are we being over-sensitive in the first place? ???

I am of the appropriate age, so maybe I can give a little insight. First, I'd like to mention that it's extremely overblown. Second it is a very loud minority who are making things seem this way. Thirdly, this is due to social media. Notably, one particular website, Twitter. None of this ever happened or could ever happen before the days of the internet or social media. It all started slowly becoming a thing in 2008 and then it really kicked off in 2013. I've been following this since 2015, first came identity politics, then SJWs, then Cancel culture etc. Also, younger generations have gone through less hardships because they were coddled by older generations who did go through those hardships. They lived in a time of helicopter parenting and their parents failed to give them the freedom that they enjoyed in their youth during the decades before the 2000s. Because of this they never had the chance to properly grow up and mature. So, in a way older generations are also responsible for this. Nowadays, everyone is scared of pedophilia, where as before you could just go out and play all day with your friends wherever you wanted, completely unsupervised, as long as you came back by supper time. Also, to point out the elephant in the room. The vast majority of SJWs are female, especially teenage girls.  I watched girls who were in my middle school and high school turn into SJWs around 2014 to 2015, where as before they were normal teenage girls.

But, I think that it is dying out. I have good reason to believe so, since I have seen many signs indicating that it is coming to an end. The pandemic for is a good example of this. I've also taken a course on free speech, in a very liberal university in Toronto. I came in with very low expectations, but it was eye opening. It didn't turn into an echo chamber of far left ideas as I originally though it would and my professor was very kind and supportive and supported ideas from different sides. She told us about the danger of echo chambers, and how social media is basically just that. The reason everyone is like this is because of these echo chambers that we frequent and lock ourselves in online. Further more, I think the west goes through periods where they focus more on social issues and where they focus less on social issues. The last time social issues were a massive deal was during the period from the late 80s to the mid 90s, reaching it's peak in 1992. And the last time before that was during the entire era of the late 60s and early 70s. Each of these are around the same time span apart. With cool down periods in between them which were more conservative, such as the late 70s and most of the 80s, as well as the late 90s, the 2000s and the early 2010s.

I think that the 2020s will see us leaving this stuff behind because the period of social awareness that kicked off in the early/mid 2010s is finally coming to an end.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/21 at 2:12 pm

I am of the appropriate age, so maybe I can give a little insight. First, I'd like to mention that it's extremely overblown. Second it is a very loud minority who are making things seem this way. Thirdly, this is due to social media. Notably, one particular website, Twitter. None of this ever happened or could ever happen before the days of the internet or social media. It all started slowly becoming a thing in 2008 and then it really kicked off in 2013. I've been following this since 2015, first came identity politics, then SJWs, then Cancel culture etc. Also, younger generations have gone through less hardships because they were coddled by older generations who did go through those hardships. They lived in a time of helicopter parenting and their parents failed to give them the freedom that they enjoyed in their youth during the decades before the 2000s. Because of this they never had the chance to properly grow up and mature. So, in a way older generations are also responsible for this. Nowadays, everyone is scared of pedophilia, where as before you could just go out and play all day with your friends wherever you wanted, completely unsupervised, as long as you came back by supper time. Also, to point out the elephant in the room. The vast majority of SJWs are female, especially teenage girls.  I watched girls who were in my middle school and high school turn into SJWs around 2014 to 2015, where as before they were normal teenage girls.

But, I think that it is dying out. I have good reason to believe so, since I have seen many signs indicating that it is coming to an end. The pandemic for is a good example of this. I've also taken a course on free speech, in a very liberal university in Toronto. I came in with very low expectations, but it was eye opening. It didn't turn into an echo chamber of far left ideas as I originally though it would and my professor was very kind and supportive and supported ideas from different sides. She told us about the danger of echo chambers, and how social media is basically just that. The reason everyone is like this is because of these echo chambers that we frequent and lock ourselves in online. Further more, I think the west goes through periods where they focus more on social issues and where they focus less on social issues. The last time social issues were a massive deal was during the period from the late 80s to the mid 90s, reaching it's peak in 1992. And the last time before that was during the entire era of the late 60s and early 70s. Each of these are around the same time span apart. With cool down periods in between them which were more conservative, such as the late 70s and most of the 80s, as well as the late 90s, the 2000s and the early 2010s.

I think that the 2020s will see us leaving this stuff behind because the period of social awareness that kicked off in the early/mid 2010s is finally coming to an end.

I think we're hating things because of the stuff we see on TV or read in the newspaper.

Written By: philbo on 04/17/21 at 4:06 pm

Throwing in my ha'p'orth: I believe people are no different, no more sensitive than they were ten or a hundred years ago.

What we have now are online megaphones for the ones who take easy offence, and a whole bunch of bandwagon jumpers for all sorts of issues - on both sides of the political fence.

What I find most irksome is the right wing pointing at the most extreme left-wingers and saying "they're all like that"; and those on the left saying "we're not like that, the right wingers are all exaggerating" while doing *exactly* the same thing in reverse.

And tbh, most of the examples given of "cancel culture" really aren't.

People just need to lighten up

Written By: Slim95 on 04/17/21 at 9:05 pm

You know cancel culture has went too far when Ellen DeGeneres of all people gets cancelled lol.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/17/21 at 9:15 pm

You know cancel culture has went too far when Ellen DeGeneres of all people gets cancelled lol.

Well Abe Lincoln was canceled in San Francisco.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/17/21 at 9:37 pm

Throwing in my ha'p'orth: I believe people are no different, no more sensitive than they were ten or a hundred years ago.

What we have now are online megaphones for the ones who take easy offence, and a whole bunch of bandwagon jumpers for all sorts of issues - on both sides of the political fence.

What I find most irksome is the right wing pointing at the most extreme left-wingers and saying "they're all like that"; and those on the left saying "we're not like that, the right wingers are all exaggerating" while doing *exactly* the same thing in reverse.

And tbh, most of the examples given of "cancel culture" really aren't.

People just need to lighten up

“They’re all like that”

Last year I watched this documentary I think called The Social Dilemma. They talked about how the internet  actually feeds you “facts” based on your area or or your history or whatever reason. So people who use the internet for all their news, are going to argue against each other.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/21 at 7:48 am

When did they cancel her show?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/18/21 at 2:10 pm

When did they cancel her show?

They cancelled HER not her show necessarily lol (I think her show wasn't cancelled? Or it may have been).

Written By: xenzue on 04/18/21 at 5:47 pm

I hope you’re being sarcastic

Written By: Howard on 04/19/21 at 8:23 am

I was referring back to The 1980's in those stand-up comedy shows.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/19/21 at 8:37 am

I was referring back to The 1980's in those stand-up comedy shows.

I had a buddy at work who used to brag that he could call coworkers the N-word and they had no problem with it.  Probably would not work these days...

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/19/21 at 11:30 am

I had a buddy at work who used to brag that he could call coworkers the N-word and they had no problem with it.  Probably would not work these days...

Even if the coworkers didn’t care, there would inevitably be someone who would overhear it, record it, and report it. Like posted earlier, stop being more offended than the victim.

Back in the day you had to have courage and initiative and usually evidence to report something to the right people. It took work and time so it wasn’t usually worth it. But between the internet and phones for all, anyone can report anything anonymously and without confrontation. Makes it so much easier for all the do gooders out there.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/21 at 2:00 pm

Not today, but back then, some days it was fine.

Written By: philbo on 04/19/21 at 3:47 pm

The sort of person who thinks that his coworkers have no problem with him using the n-word is the sort who wouldn't notice if they were swallowing their annoyance for the sake of keeping a job. Grade-A level insensitivity.

There is no reason to, and every reason not to.

Not today, but back then, some days it was fine.

"Some days"?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/19/21 at 4:30 pm

The sort of person who thinks that his coworkers have no problem with him using the n-word is the sort who wouldn't notice if they were swallowing their annoyance for the sake of keeping a job. Grade-A level insensitivity.

"Some days"?

I believe Howard was talking about stand-up comedians making stereotypical jokes rather than personal racist insults.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/19/21 at 5:45 pm

Demi Lovato Slams Frozen Yogurt Shop For ‘Triggering’ Products

www.huffpost.com/entry/demi-lovato-the-bigg-chill-diet-culture_n_607d8b66e4b0eac48140a68b

Excerpt:

Demi Lovato started a social media war with a beloved frozen yogurt shop over the weekend, prompting many people to call her out for misusing her huge platform.

The pop star took a stand against The Bigg Chill in Los Angeles, slamming the store on her Instagram page for carrying sugar-free options. Lovato said seeing the products was “triggering and awful” for her, as she is in recovery from an eating disorder.

“Finding it extremely hard to order froyo from @thebiggchillofficial when you have to walk past tons of sugar free cookies/other diet foods before you get to the counter. Do better please,” she wrote in an Instagram Story. Her Instagram account has millions of followers.

She included the hashtag #dietculturevultures, which she said she’d be using to call out “harmful messaging from brands or that perpetuate a society that not only enables but praises disordered eating.”

The Bigg Chill, which had just over 6,000 followers on Instagram as of Sunday, pushed back on Lovato’s criticism by noting in an Instagram Story that the shop carries products for customers who have diabetes and celiac disease, options for vegans and “many indulgent items.”

The Bigg Chill’s account also responded to Lovato via Instagram direct message, according to a screenshot the singer posted on her page, writing: “We are not diet vultures. We cater to all of our customers needs for the past 36 years. We are sorry you found this offensive.”

Lovato continued to message the brand and post her replies on her account.

“You can carry things for other people while also caring for another percentage of your customers who struggle DAILY just to even step foot in your store,” she wrote. “You can find a way to provide an inviting environment for all people with different needs. Including eating disorders — one of the deadliest mental illnesses only second to overdoses. Don’t make excuses, just do better.”

“I’m sorry that I may have disappointed some people, but I’m not coming after a small business as someone with a lot of followers. That’s not what I’m doing here. I walked into a situation that didn’t sit right with me, my intuition said speak up about this, so I did and I feel good about that,” said Lovato, who added that she left the shop without frozen yogurt and then “had a hard time the rest of the weekend.”

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/20/21 at 5:54 am

Gwen Stefani's new "Slow Clap" music video is facing accusations of cultural appropriation.

https://www.newsweek.com/gwen-stefani-slow-clap-appropriation-1582457

Written By: Howard on 04/20/21 at 7:33 am

"Some days"?

I was referring to the old school comedians such as Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and maybe a few others that poked fun at ethnicities and joked about it on stage.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/21 at 7:34 am

I believe Howard was talking about stand-up comedians making stereotypical jokes rather than personal racist insults.

That's what I talking about, sorry if it wasn't specific enough.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/20/21 at 9:16 am

Even if the coworkers didn’t care, there would inevitably be someone who would overhear it, record it, and report it. Like posted earlier, stop being more offended than the victim.

Back in the day you had to have courage and initiative and usually evidence to report something to the right people. It took work and time so it wasn’t usually worth it. But between the internet and phones for all, anyone can report anything anonymously and without confrontation. Makes it so much easier for all the do gooders out there.

Yea, like the young who recorded Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/20/21 at 10:20 am

Yea, like the young who recorded Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd

No not like that. That was serious and a life was lost due to hate.

I’m talking about if 2 people are telling dirty jokes or whatever, in agreement it’s a joke. Intended to be private. Nobody is getting hurt. Someone secretly records them and turns them in.

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/21 at 11:48 am

Demi Lovato Slams Frozen Yogurt Shop For ‘Triggering’ Products

www.huffpost.com/entry/demi-lovato-the-bigg-chill-diet-culture_n_607d8b66e4b0eac48140a68b

Excerpt:

Demi Lovato started a social media war with a beloved frozen yogurt shop over the weekend, prompting many people to call her out for misusing her huge platform.

The pop star took a stand against The Bigg Chill in Los Angeles, slamming the store on her Instagram page for carrying sugar-free options. Lovato said seeing the products was “triggering and awful” for her, as she is in recovery from an eating disorder.

“Finding it extremely hard to order froyo from @thebiggchillofficial when you have to walk past tons of sugar free cookies/other diet foods before you get to the counter. Do better please,” she wrote in an Instagram Story. Her Instagram account has millions of followers.

She included the hashtag #dietculturevultures, which she said she’d be using to call out “harmful messaging from brands or that perpetuate a society that not only enables but praises disordered eating.”

The Bigg Chill, which had just over 6,000 followers on Instagram as of Sunday, pushed back on Lovato’s criticism by noting in an Instagram Story that the shop carries products for customers who have diabetes and celiac disease, options for vegans and “many indulgent items.”

The Bigg Chill’s account also responded to Lovato via Instagram direct message, according to a screenshot the singer posted on her page, writing: “We are not diet vultures. We cater to all of our customers needs for the past 36 years. We are sorry you found this offensive.”

Lovato continued to message the brand and post her replies on her account.

“You can carry things for other people while also caring for another percentage of your customers who struggle DAILY just to even step foot in your store,” she wrote. “You can find a way to provide an inviting environment for all people with different needs. Including eating disorders — one of the deadliest mental illnesses only second to overdoses. Don’t make excuses, just do better.”

“I’m sorry that I may have disappointed some people, but I’m not coming after a small business as someone with a lot of followers. That’s not what I’m doing here. I walked into a situation that didn’t sit right with me, my intuition said speak up about this, so I did and I feel good about that,” said Lovato, who added that she left the shop without frozen yogurt and then “had a hard time the rest of the weekend.”

http://static.billboard.com/files/media/demi-lovato-twitlonger-2014-billboard-510.jpg

http://static.billboard.com/files/media/demi-lovato-twitter-dm-2014-billboard-510.jpg

this story was a hoax

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/21 at 12:13 pm

this story was a hoax

the story you quote may be a hoax, but the Lovato yogurt flap certainly isn't. Even the Los Angeles Times is running with  it.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-04-19/demi-lovato-apology-bigg-chill-instagram-diet-culture

Lovato has issued a watered down apology:

“I’m sorry that I got the messaging wrong,” she said Monday. “My intentions were not to come in and bully a small business. That was not it. I walked in, was so triggered that I left without fro-yo, and it made me really sad. That’s all it was, and I wanted to talk about that.”

My God, if her privilege  is such that she is "triggered" by a frozen yogurt shop that offers sugar free treats for people with diabetes, there is really no hope. In fact, I'm STILL not sure what she was "triggered" by. The fact that the treats were sugar free?

Written By: karen on 04/20/21 at 12:24 pm

My God, if her privilege  is such that she is "triggered" by a frozen yogurt shop that offers sugar free treats for people with diabetes, there is really no hope. In fact, I'm STILL not sure what she was "triggered" by. The fact that the treats were sugar free?

I think she will say that it reminded her of diets and dieting. Then feeling guilty about eating something normal when she should (in her head) actually eat the diet version or not eat anything at all ever.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/21 at 12:47 pm

I think she will say that it reminded her of diets and dieting. Then feeling guilty about eating something normal when she should (in her head) actually eat the diet version or not eat anything at all ever.

File under "first world problems" a/k/a "white whine".  :D

Written By: philbo on 04/20/21 at 3:11 pm

But, of course, earlier generations of pop stars and slebs were so much more resilient & reasonable...

Yeah, right.. vu2NK5REvWM

..that's one from an older generation preserved for some kind of posterity, I guess. But today those sorts of entitled idiots get their tantrums spread to their untold numbers of "followers" in a way that doesn't happen today: one of my US relatives for many years would tell people about the time Elvis (I think it was.. it's decades since I've heard the story) was massively abusive because a waitress had brought the wrong burger to the table. Self-centred people with a sense of entitlement have always existed, the latest generation is no worse.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/21 at 1:52 pm

What society needs to do is to stop being so over sensitive, stop taking things so seriously.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/21 at 8:42 am

Justin Bieber accused of cultural appropriation over new dreadlocks:

www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2021/04/27/justin-bieber-accused-cultural-appropriation-over-new-dreadlocks/4861916001/

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/21 at 10:13 am

Here's an article that excellently describes the old Norman Lear comedy TV shows of the 70s and why they were both so politically relevant and yet so FUNNY. the kind of humor that is absolutely not allowed to exist today. I notice the article is from a rather right-leaning website, but still it is very accurate in it's assessment of comedy and TV shows. It takes the classic Norman Lear comedy ""Sanford & Son" and it's irreverent star Redd Foxx as the core of the article.

https://pjmedia.com/culture/stephen-kruiser/2021/04/23/sanford-and-son-and-the-almost-lost-joy-of-brutal-irreverent-comedy-n1441384

Excerpts:

(Sanford & Son) was edgy in a lot of ways. Until Norman Lear began producing comedies, most sitcoms were feel-good affairs. They were called situation comedies because every episode revolved around some ridiculous situation that lent itself to wacky hijinks. The Norman Lear era ushered in deeper societal situations and caustic, biting humor:

Lamont: Forget him Aunt Esther. What can we do for you?
Esther: You can do a lot, Lamont. In fact, you both can make a big donation to charity.
Fred: Oh, you want us to donate you to multiple ugly-osis.

Reading that is funny, but what made lines like that work was Redd Foxx’s perfect timing, which never failed him. In today’s climate, that line would be deemed offensive because it shames a woman and mocks the “differently-abled.”

There was a freedom of subject matter back then that allowed both "Sanford and Son" and "All in the Family" to lampoon and confront bigotry in a way that was still funny. Richard Pryor was just coming into his own with his shift to dealing with deep, deep subject matter and making audiences laugh at it. I’ve always said that Pryor’s genius was that he could make people laugh at things that they didn’t want to laugh at. He was able to do that because he was allowed to talk about anything.

In Lenny Bruce’s day, he only had to deal with undercover police stalking his shows and waiting for him to slip up. Now there are millions of politically correct snitches playing Culture Stasi for the Church of Woke.

If so much as one trigger word is uttered the unhinged woke will try to ruin a career.

The modern sitcom’s proscription of subject matter has neutered the format’s effectiveness in dealing with societal issues. "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" were effective because there were no sacred cows, especially when it came to politics. "All in the Family" could portray both Archie and Meathead as ridiculous, thereby mocking both sides of the aisle. Comedy today isn’t supposed to speak ill of leftist orthodoxy. There is a big difference between lampooning and demonizing. Most popular (wide audience) comedy now does the latter. Sitcoms and late-night shows are cheerleaders for the Left and the main objective is to portray any different way of thinking as evil.

That’s why none of it is funny anymore.

Written By: woahjoey on 04/28/21 at 1:06 pm

While I don't think tweets or blog posts from 10+ years ago should get someone blacklisted (ya know, compared to people who were actually blacklisted for suspected of being communist or socialist, Queer, atheist, etc.), I would ponder the following:

Are people being "cancelled" or are they being held accountable?

Are people being "overly sensitive" or are they no longer putting up with being othered and the butt of a lousy joke?

Are colleges "institutions of indoctrination" or do they each critical thinking skills and have discussions from people of diverse backgrounds on topics that were undervalued/limited in k-12 (like Arizona trying to ban ethnic studies from its statewide curriculum) ?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/21 at 1:25 pm

Are colleges "institutions of indoctrination" or do they each critical thinking skills and have discussions from people of diverse backgrounds on topics that were undervalued/limited in k-12 (like Arizona trying to ban ethnic studies from its statewide curriculum) ?

Unfortunley, this is exactly what is NOT happening. It's what I would love to see happen. From what I can see, far too many universities (and even high schools) are now teaching ideology as FACT and you are penalized (cancelled, shouted down, expelled, fired etc) if you dare to digress from the one and only party line. There is no discussion, no critical thinking. Only "zero tolerance" (from which all this stems).  "Feelings" are everything now it seems. IDENTITY is everything now. More people in  colleges these days would actually BENEFIT from have their feelings hurt a bit.  From being challenged. Even with ideas they do not agree with. ESPECIALLY with ideas they don't agree with. This is what leads to growth. But it isn't really happening anymore.

Written By: woahjoey on 04/28/21 at 2:16 pm

Unfortunley, this is exactly what is NOT happening. It's what I would love to see happen. From what I can see...

When were you last on a college campus as a student? Curious which ideologies you believe are being taught as fact?

Written By: Howard on 04/28/21 at 2:21 pm

Here's an article that excellently describes the old Norman Lear comedy TV shows of the 70s and why they were both so politically relevant and yet so FUNNY. the kind of humor that is absolutely not allowed to exist today. I notice the article is from a rather right-leaning website, but still it is very accurate in it's assessment of comedy and TV shows. It takes the classic Norman Lear comedy ""Sanford & Son" and it's irreverent star Redd Foxx as the core of the article.

https://pjmedia.com/culture/stephen-kruiser/2021/04/23/sanford-and-son-and-the-almost-lost-joy-of-brutal-irreverent-comedy-n1441384

Excerpts:

(Sanford & Son) was edgy in a lot of ways. Until Norman Lear began producing comedies, most sitcoms were feel-good affairs. They were called situation comedies because every episode revolved around some ridiculous situation that lent itself to wacky hijinks. The Norman Lear era ushered in deeper societal situations and caustic, biting humor:

Lamont: Forget him Aunt Esther. What can we do for you?
Esther: You can do a lot, Lamont. In fact, you both can make a big donation to charity.
Fred: Oh, you want us to donate you to multiple ugly-osis.

Reading that is funny, but what made lines like that work was Redd Foxx’s perfect timing, which never failed him. In today’s climate, that line would be deemed offensive because it shames a woman and mocks the “differently-abled.”

There was a freedom of subject matter back then that allowed both "Sanford and Son" and "All in the Family" to lampoon and confront bigotry in a way that was still funny. Richard Pryor was just coming into his own with his shift to dealing with deep, deep subject matter and making audiences laugh at it. I’ve always said that Pryor’s genius was that he could make people laugh at things that they didn’t want to laugh at. He was able to do that because he was allowed to talk about anything.

In Lenny Bruce’s day, he only had to deal with undercover police stalking his shows and waiting for him to slip up. Now there are millions of politically correct snitches playing Culture Stasi for the Church of Woke.

If so much as one trigger word is uttered the unhinged woke will try to ruin a career.

The modern sitcom’s proscription of subject matter has neutered the format’s effectiveness in dealing with societal issues. "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" were effective because there were no sacred cows, especially when it came to politics. "All in the Family" could portray both Archie and Meathead as ridiculous, thereby mocking both sides of the aisle. Comedy today isn’t supposed to speak ill of leftist orthodoxy. There is a big difference between lampooning and demonizing. Most popular (wide audience) comedy now does the latter. Sitcoms and late-night shows are cheerleaders for the Left and the main objective is to portray any different way of thinking as evil.

That’s why none of it is funny anymore.

Shows like that 40 years ago worked but today in 2021, people would start lashing out of how offensive that material is and characters such as George Jefferson, Archie Bunker and Fred Sanford would not work today.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/21 at 3:11 pm

When were you last on a college campus as a student? Curious which ideologies you believe are being taught as fact?

An ideology of identity politics for one. It almost seems to me like the free speech movement of 1964 at Berkeley never even happened. How would a student who wore a Trump campaign button be treated on a campus nowadays? Mind you, not that someone wearing a Nixon button in the 60s would have been treated with kid gloves, but it would not have been considered a microaggression against the feelings of another. Even my old 1960s liberal "we are all one" hippy philosophy seems to be politically incorrect these days. If you're telling me this is not the case and colleges are still bastions of free speech (of all kinds) and open mindedness and intellectual and philosophical challenges, nobody would be happier to hear it than me.

Written By: woahjoey on 04/28/21 at 3:53 pm

"Identity Politics" is not a singular curriculum found in any college because identity politics means different things to different people -- it probably means different things between you and me! :P Anyway, it definitely wasn't taught to me at my liberal college in SF. I did learn about social determinants of health during my health ed program, which helped me gain perspective on how race, sex, economic status, zip code, etc. affects one's health and well being (based on decades of research & data). For some people, that may be considered "identity politics".

This happens with buzzwords like "woke" and "intersectionality" (the latter of which the original theorist, Kimberle Crenshaw, had to tweet out for people to stop misusing the word/theory depending on their narrative/agenda).

As for a student wearing a trump bumper sticker button, if they are strong enough in their beliefs then they should be strong and brave enough to defend trump's policies that could affect many students on that campus (ex: defending the Muslim ban on a campus with a sizable Muslim population). Far right groups have walked our quad before with signs saying bigoted things. While the institution itself did not prohibit them from campus, students were informed via email to avoid the quad if needed. I wasn't in the mood to see "God Hates F@gs" and anti-abortion propaganda while getting coffee before class so I avoided the quad those days.

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/21 at 7:16 pm

"Identity Politics" is not a singular curriculum found in any college because identity politics means different things to different people -- it probably means different things between you and me! :P Anyway, it definitely wasn't taught to me at my liberal college in SF. I did learn about social determinants of health during my health ed program, which helped me gain perspective on how race, sex, economic status, zip code, etc. affects one's health and well being (based on decades of research & data). For some people, that may be considered "identity politics".

This happens with buzzwords like "woke" and "intersectionality" (the latter of which the original theorist, Kimberle Crenshaw, had to tweet out for people to stop misusing the word/theory depending on their narrative/agenda).

As for a student wearing a trump bumper sticker button, if they are strong enough in their beliefs then they should be strong and brave enough to defend trump's policies that could affect many students on that campus (ex: defending the Muslim ban on a campus with a sizable Muslim population). Far right groups have walked our quad before with signs saying bigoted things. While the institution itself did not prohibit them from campus, students were informed via email to avoid the quad if needed. I wasn't in the mood to see "God Hates F@gs" and anti-abortion propaganda while getting coffee before class so I avoided the quad those days.

The whole thing is really overblown. Granted I have a Bachelors of Science, the one time in fall 2015 when a student admitted to supporting Trump, all anyone told him was that Trump is a failed businessman. By the time I had to work with him on a group project I had forgot he was a Trump supporter. That's far from being cancelled or turned into a pariah.

And they do teach critical thinking at universities. "Identity politics" is a type of critical thinking, even if you disagree with the paradigm. If Bieber is going to wear dreadlocks, he should be prepared to be criticized on it. And people are free to defend him and criticize the people criticizing him. It seems the way some people would have it is if people said nothing at all and went along with it. How is that critical thinking? ???

That's not even to say I was "taught" identity politics. I find it funny that someone coming to the conclusion that a country is racist on their own is so unfathomable to some people that they believe you had to be "indoctrinated" into believing it. Instead, being a science degree, I was taught logical thinking, mathematical logic, the scientific method, falsification, statistical analysis, experimentation and testing your hypotheses, defending your thesis etc. and not only did a lot of it challenge my preconceived notions I found it broadly applicable to even non-science spheres of life, including "identity politics". I was not TAUGHT to think anything, indeed I was taught to question everything, even the fundamentals of science and mathematics, and to run experiments to see if it was true. I am glad i went and I am definitely forcing my future kids to go too. Conservatives can stay mad.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/29/21 at 9:50 am

A bit off topic, but all the education "experts" who are constantly pushing "critical thinking" seem to forget that in order to think critically one has to have something to think about, a body of knowledge to examine.  When I was teaching US history to freshmen I assigned a book of essays with three on each of a number of topics/issues (was the election of Jefferson in 1800 a "revolution"?).  Those essays were the basis for writing assignments:  a 1 paragraph precis, an analysis, a comparison, and finally a synthesis.  That, I maintain, was teaching critical thinking

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/29/21 at 10:30 am

A bit off topic, but all the education "experts" who are constantly pushing "critical thinking" seem to forget that in order to think critically one has to have something to think about, a body of knowledge to examine.  When I was teaching US history to freshmen I assigned a book of essays with three on each of a number of topics/issues (was the election of Jefferson in 1800 a "revolution"?).  Those essays were the basis for writing assignments:  a 1 paragraph precis, an analysis, a comparison, and finally a synthesis.  That, I maintain, was teaching critical thinking

Agreed!

Here's something I find quite valid as well. Feminist writer and college humanities professor Camille Paglia contends that comparative religion should be the core curriculum in universities. NOT teaching it  as dogmatic religion that has to be believed in, but as basic knowledge. She said this in an interview in the Wall Street Journal:

"Comparative religion is the true multiculturalism and should be installed as the core curriculum in every undergraduate program. From my perspective as an atheist as well as a career college teacher, secular humanism has been a disastrous failure. Too many young people raised in affluent liberal homes are arriving at elite colleges and universities with skittish, unformed personalities and shockingly narrow views of human existence, confined to inflammatory and divisive identity politics."

She went on to say:

"I contend that every educated person should be conversant with the sacred texts, rituals, and symbol systems of the great world religions—Hinduism, Buddhism, Judeo-Christianity, and Islam—and that true global understanding is impossible without such knowledge. . . . Right now, the campus religion remains nihilist, meaning-destroying post-structuralism, whose pilfering god, the one-note Foucault, had near-zero scholarly knowledge of anything before or beyond the European Enlightenment. (His sparse writing on classical antiquity is risible.)"

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/30/21 at 10:14 am

Agreed!

Here's something I find quite valid as well. Feminist writer and college humanities professor Camille Paglia contends that comparative religion should be the core curriculum in universities. NOT teaching it  as dogmatic religion that has to be believed in, but as basic knowledge. She said this in an interview in the Wall Street Journal:

"Comparative religion is the true multiculturalism and should be installed as the core curriculum in every undergraduate program. From my perspective as an atheist as well as a career college teacher, secular humanism has been a disastrous failure. Too many young people raised in affluent liberal homes are arriving at elite colleges and universities with skittish, unformed personalities and shockingly narrow views of human existence, confined to inflammatory and divisive identity politics."

She went on to say:

"I contend that every educated person should be conversant with the sacred texts, rituals, and symbol systems of the great world religions—Hinduism, Buddhism, Judeo-Christianity, and Islam—and that true global understanding is impossible without such knowledge. . . . Right now, the campus religion remains nihilist, meaning-destroying post-structuralism, whose pilfering god, the one-note Foucault, had near-zero scholarly knowledge of anything before or beyond the European Enlightenment. (His sparse writing on classical antiquity is risible.)"

Yes, but not THE core curriculum but a basic component of a broader 1 connecting it to  World history, economics, and political philosophy, as they are all intertwined

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/30/21 at 10:30 am

Yes, but not THE core curriculum but a basic component of a broader 1 connecting it to  World history, economics, and political philosophy, as they are all intertwined

Yes, EXACTLY.

Check for new replies or respond here...