inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Derek Chauvin George Floyd verdict in

Written By: karen on 04/20/21 at 4:07 pm

Count 1 unintentional murder Guilty

Count 2 third degree murder Guilty

Count 3 second degree manslaughter Guilty

Subject: Re: Derek Chauvin George Floyd verdict in

Written By: nally on 04/20/21 at 11:51 pm

I am not the least bit surprised by this. I figured he was guilty the whole time.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/21/21 at 12:10 am

I am not the least bit surprised by this. I figured he was guilty the whole time.

I am. I mean he was clearly guilty, but sometimes cops get away with murder just because they are cops. Glad he was found guilty on all counts.

Written By: Elor on 04/21/21 at 2:50 am

I think the footage was clear. That was murder. Any other verdict would have been a farce.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/21/21 at 12:34 pm

Count 1 unintentional murder Guilty

Count 2 third degree murder Guilty

Count 3 second degree manslaughter Guilty

Yeea, we got one right - for a change

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/21/21 at 12:44 pm

Good news. I'm hoping this is a step in the right direction.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/21 at 1:47 pm

I am. I mean he was clearly guilty, but sometimes cops get away with murder just because they are cops. Glad he was found guilty on all counts.

Sometimes? Try almost always (with very few exceptions).

I really hope this is the start of cops being held accountable. It just makes me angry that they will kill people for selling cigarettes, having an expired vehicle tag, not using a turn signal, etc. We all know that these are just capital crimes.  ::)

And they usually blame the victims. It was there own fault for dying.  >:( >:( >:(

But the truth be known, cops are not supposed to kill guilty people either!

Cat

Written By: Elor on 04/21/21 at 10:17 pm

Sometimes? Try almost always (with very few exceptions).

I really hope this is the start of cops being held accountable. It just makes me angry that they will kill people for selling cigarettes, having an expired vehicle tag, not using a turn signal, etc. We all know that these are just capital crimes.  ::)

And they usually blame the victims. It was there own fault for dying.  >:( >:( >:(

But the truth be known, cops are not supposed to kill guilty people either!

I don't know. I've seen plenty of body cam footage where cops were attacked out of the blue by people on a traffic stops or when they had to make an arrest leading to a shooting. In at least 85% of the instances I found the shooting to be justified... That's why I'm on the fence here and am all for cops wearing body cams.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/22/21 at 10:16 am

I don't know. I've seen plenty of body cam footage where cops were attacked out of the blue by people on a traffic stops or when they had to make an arrest leading to a shooting. In at least 85% of the instances I found the shooting to be justified... That's why I'm on the fence here and am all for cops wearing body cams.

Sure, sometimes the cop is justified, no question.  But when the cops are in the wrong they need to be held accountable.  All to often they are not

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/23/21 at 9:30 am

Another point re the US.  Compare how many white perps, even mass shooters, are brought in alive while black and Latinos wind up dead for minor offenses

Written By: Elor on 04/23/21 at 11:25 am

Another point re the US.  Compare how many white perps, even mass shooters, are brought in alive while black and Latinos wind up dead for minor offenses
Did those white perps resist arrest with a deadly weapon? Again I don't say it doesn't happen but the footage I've seen so far tells a different story.... maybe I'm in a Youtube echo chamber... ? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/21 at 1:58 pm

Did those white perps resist arrest with a deadly weapon? Again I don't say it doesn't happen but the footage I've seen so far tells a different story.... maybe I'm in a Youtube echo chamber... ? ???

Resisting arrest is NOT a capital offense and should not end in a death sentence before being brought to trial. And many of them who were resisting arrest were NOT armed and many were shot in the back as they were running away.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 04/23/21 at 3:50 pm

Resisting arrest is NOT a capital offense and should not end in a death sentence before being brought to trial.

You didn't read my full sentence. I said resisting arrest with a deadly weapon a.k.a trying to kill the cops.

And many of them who were resisting arrest were NOT armed and many were shot in the back as they were running away.

Perhaps. Again the stuff I've seen speaks a different language but I might be living in a bubble.
I think it's a good thing that more and more cops are getting body cams to prove what went really on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/21 at 4:38 pm

You didn't read my full sentence. I said resisting arrest with a deadly weapon a.k.a trying to kill the cops.Perhaps. Again the stuff I've seen speaks a different language but I might be living in a bubble.
I think it's a good thing that more and more cops are getting body cams to prove what went really on.

I did read that you wrote "with a deadly weapon." But it seems like 9 times out of 10, the people they shoot do not have weapons at all.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/21 at 5:56 pm

Well last year 457 whites boys were killed by the popo compared to 241 blacks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Which is certainly a higher proportion (for Blacks) than their representation in the population.

But bottom line, more whites are offed by cops than blacks.

My view... you go swinging a knife around like that chick in West Columbus who was throwing her tantrum... you will get what’s coming to you, and it does not matter white or black.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/24/21 at 9:14 am

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Which is certainly a higher proportion (for Blacks) than their representation in the population.

My view... you go swinging a knife around like that chick in West Columbus who was throwing her tantrum... you will get what’s coming to you, and it does not matter white or black.

I mostly agree, but why 4 shots?  Is that normal cop training?  Seems like over kill to me

Written By: Elor on 04/24/21 at 9:48 am

I mostly agree, but why 4 shots?  Is that normal cop training?  Seems like over kill to me
Because sometimes people who are high on Adrenalin and/or drugs don't succumb instantly to just a single shot. If you feel your life or the life of others threatened you do whatever it takes to end that threat. It's a split second decision and if you hesitate you or someone else ends up dead (and yes, that leads to cops having itchy trigger fingers but I can understand that in a country where every idiot and his mom have access to military grade weapons). There are a lot of body cam videos on youtube. Things are usually not as cut and clean as the media wants us to believe.

Written By: philbo on 04/24/21 at 10:40 am

By your own figures, with a black population of 13.4% from a quick google, that means black people are more than four times as likely to be killed.

Bottom line: if you think that matters less than the absolute number of people killed, you're either basically innumerate or racist.

I bet your view is also that if multiple people were threatening you (to the extent that you'd already called the police), you'd be well within your rights to attack them with whatever weapon came to hand

Frankly, I think you're *exactly* the problem the US has right now.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/24/21 at 11:31 am

Just because a population exists doesn’t mean they are equally likely to be involved in a shooting or violent crime.

Blacks statistically occupy more of the central city areas, where more violent crime happens. More population density, more people living in the streets. It’s the conditions to brew violent crime and you’re more likely to be shot by police or someone else.

Compared to rural areas and small cities like my area. They just ran a news story in December that we had our first murder in 14 years and I remember the last one too. In both cases someone was beaten with a baseball bat in their home. The black population up here is less than 1%. I work with a couple blacks and one of my neighbors is black. I get along with them no different than anyone else.

It’s just a result of where people live. I’m sure that if whites dominated the inner city streets and blacks dominated the rural areas, there would be a much higher percentage of whites than blacks killed by cops.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/25/21 at 8:55 am

By your own figures, with a black population of 13.4% from a quick google, that means black people are more than four times as likely to be killed.

Bottom line: if you think that matters less than the absolute number of people killed, you're either basically innumerate or racist.
I bet your view is also that if multiple people were threatening you (to the extent that you'd already called the police), you'd be well within your rights to attack them with whatever weapon came to hand

Frankly, I think you're *exactly* the problem the US has right now.

As far as I know it is unclear who called 911.  The film shows one women on the ground getting licked in the head and the soon dead woman holding the other in a head lock ready to stab/slash her, so whoever started the fight, the one in pink was about to get real hurt.

This from the Washington Post:

Opinion by the Editorial Board
April 23, 2021 at 4:21 p.m. EDT

ON THE same day that a Minneapolis jury found a former police officer guilty of the murder of George Floyd, a 16-year-old girl was shot and killed by an officer in Columbus, Ohio. She, like Floyd, was Black and both officers are White, and so an immediate connection was made between the two cases. Both are unspeakable tragedies, and it is especially heart-rending that a teenage girl died just when her life should have been starting. But what happened in Columbus was different from the incident at that now-infamous street corner in Minneapolis — and so it is important that the investigation proceed without a rush to judgment.

Ma’Khia Bryant was shot Tuesday afternoon by a Columbus police officer responding to a call for help at her foster home. Authorities quickly released body cam footage and the 911 calls, and they identified the officer as Nicholas Reardon. “We need a police officer here now,” a frantic caller tells 911, reporting that someone is “trying to stab us.” Video footage released by police authorities shows a chaotic scene when police arrive. A group of young people is standing and arguing in the driveway, and a person identified as Ma’Khia pushes or swings at a person who falls to the ground and then is kicked by an unidentified man. Ma’Khia — with a knife in her hand — then rushes toward a young woman in pink who is leaning on a car, and it appears that she pulls back her arm as if to stab her.

“Hey! Hey!” Officer Reardon yelled as he pulled his gun, “Get down! Get down!” He fired four shots and Ma’Khia fell to the ground. Asked by a bystander why he shot her, the officer said “she came at her with a knife.” The young woman in pink is later heard saying “She came after me . . . so he got her.” The incident happened in a matter of mere seconds, and the second-guessing is inevitable: Why didn’t the officer just grab her? Or use a Taser? Or a baton? Or try talking to her?
Advertisement

Whether the officer had realistic alternatives — something many police experts doubt — will be examined in the independent investigation by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. That probe will also need to address the what-ifs: What if the officer hadn’t fired his gun? Would there still have been the loss of life — not of Ma’Khia but of that young woman in pink? There are also deeper questions: Could different strategies of fostering public safety head off violent incidents such as this one before they happen?

Since the death of George Floyd last May, there have been other alarming incidents of Black lives lost at the hands of police, and they have underscored the need for policing reform. But it is unfair and dangerous, particularly for public officials who should know better, to jump to conclusions and paint every officer and every use of force with the same broad brush.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/21 at 9:15 am

Hard to tell. It did seem to me that after, say, the first 2 shots (always “double tap”) the perp was on the ground and likely incapacitated. But you do have a whole split-second thing going on. I was just amazed that he knocked out those 4 shots without grazing the girl who was in the sweatsuit.

One thing is for sure.  There would not have been any shots fired if that chick had not been swinging wildly at the other girls with a knife within a few feet of the popo.

Written By: karen on 02/25/22 at 1:00 am

Tou Thao, J Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane have been found guilty of showing deliberate indifference to George Floyd’s medical needs (a violation of civil rights)

They have each been sentenced to serve 25 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60512531

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/22 at 5:27 am

Tou Thao, J Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane have been found guilty of showing deliberate indifference to George Floyd’s medical needs (a violation of civil rights)

They have each been sentenced to serve 25 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60512531

The article says the prosecutors asked for 25 years. They’ve not been sentenced yet.

According to a CNN article, ”Federal sentencing guidelines suggest the officers could receive a lesser sentence.”

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/22 at 9:36 am

The article says the prosecutors asked for 25 years. They’ve not been sentenced yet.

According to a CNN article, Federal sentencing guidelines suggest the officers could receive a lesser sentence.”

I hope not

Written By: karen on 02/25/22 at 1:10 pm

According to a CNN article, ”Federal sentencing guidelines suggest the officers could receive a lesser sentence.”

My bad.

In my defence I hadn’t had my first cup of tea of the day when I read it

Check for new replies or respond here...