inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies in the 2020s

Written By: Slim95 on 05/05/21 at 2:18 pm

I'm not a big movie guy but I had a peek at the Oscars this year and it seems like action movies are completely dead now... All the popular movies from 2020 were some indie-looking films based on life. No more Marvel or any of that. So is that what movies are like in the 2020s? The movies seemed kind of boring but I guess that's how it is these days.

I am happy the superhero movie trend is dying though.

Subject: Re: Movies in the 2020s

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/21 at 2:31 pm

The key reason why the current available to view recent movies is that the distributors are holding back on the blockbusters for when the cinemas re-open when restrictions are lifted. The three major films I can think of are Steven Spielberg's remake of "West Side Story", Disney's live action "Cruella" (the younger teenage years of Cruella), and the next James Bond "No Time to Die".

On the whole I was not impressed of the Academy Awards films I had seen, but enjoyed "Soul" (Best Animation Winner), which is available on Disney+.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/21 at 2:37 pm

Who knows what movie theaters will look like in the 2020's, what do you guys they'll look like?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/05/21 at 3:24 pm

Pretty much straight to streaming HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. The box office on the big screen as we knew pre-pandemic has become a thing of the past. Major titles are fewer such as recent ones like Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Without Remorse, Tom & Jerry, etc. You can't compare movies of now to the past, they are just not the same. At the same time I'm also glad the Avengers era is over. I am looking forward to the new Batman though, of course.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/21 at 4:27 pm

I'm not a big movie guy but I had a peek at the Oscars this year and it seems like action movies are completely dead now... All the popular movies from 2020 were some indie-looking films based on life. No more Marvel or any of that. So is that what movies are like in the 2020s? The movies seemed kind of boring but I guess that's how it is these days.

I am happy the superhero movie trend is dying though.
There is at least one superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters due to be released, "Morbius" it is scheduled to be released in the United States on January 28, 2022, delayed from an initial July 2020 date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

...btw, I saw some of the location shooting here in London, back in 2019.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/05/21 at 10:33 pm

I saw a bunch of the Oscar nominees on Netflix, and literally the only one  I hated was The Midnight Sky (VFX). Impressive LED rear projection (which they also use on The Mandalorian), but it was painfully boring, like watching paint dry. I almost bailed.

:o @ all the superhero hate in here. One of the greatest movies to be released this year was, in fact, a superhero movie, one that I feel elevated the genre, all four hours of it. ;) ...Which actually just breeze by.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/06/21 at 3:58 am

I saw MORTAL KOMBAT the other day (2021) -- What a piece of senseless trash!!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/21 at 4:07 am

I saw MORTAL KOMBAT the other day (2021) -- What a piece of senseless trash!!!!!
Rotten Tomatoes agree with you, they give it 54%.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/21 at 7:49 am

Pretty much straight to streaming HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. The box office on the big screen as we knew pre-pandemic has become a thing of the past. Major titles are fewer such as recent ones like Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Without Remorse, Tom & Jerry, etc. You can't compare movies of now to the past, they are just not the same. At the same time I'm also glad the Avengers era is over. I am looking forward to the new Batman though, of course.

I think when theaters die out, more people will be doing more streaming.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/06/21 at 8:11 am

I think when theaters die out, more people will be doing more streaming.

You've got it backwards. Theaters are dying out because people are doing more streaming.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/06/21 at 8:27 am

Thank you. I won't have to risk wasting 2 hours of my life on it. One thing I noticed is the quality of movies has gone downhill. Especially during the pandemic the production has been relying more on CG than live action/stunts. Movies like Godzilla vs Kong and WW84 almost look like animations. I watched the 2020 film Tenet recently and it was ok, not Nolan's best work. It was an interesting concept though, it felt like a 3 hour long boomerang video on Instagram, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/21 at 8:52 am

Theaters are dying out because people are doing more streaming.
With a life of living in and out of cinemas, that is the day I am dreading.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/21 at 2:12 pm

You've got it backwards. Theaters are dying out because people are doing more streaming.

Will there still be movie theaters in the mid 2020's?

Written By: Dude111 on 05/06/21 at 3:02 pm

Thank you. I won't have to risk wasting 2 hours of my life on it.

There was some funny parts in it but it mostly all crap.....Yes its sad how bad stuff has gotton......

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/21 at 3:18 pm

There was some funny parts in it but it mostly all crap.....Yes its sad how bad stuff has gotton......
Worthy of Razzie Award?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/06/21 at 4:47 pm

If things get back to normal, cinemas will not die out. But you will probably need some covid passport proving that you got the vaccine in order to enter the cinema.

It could go straight to streaming though. That's a possibility. Either way, even if there are way less than there were before, cinemas will not completely die out and go away. There is always a market for every niche.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 7:39 am

If things get back to normal, cinemas will not die out. But you will probably need some covid passport proving that you got the vaccine in order to enter the cinema.

It could go straight to streaming though. That's a possibility. Either way, even if there are way less than there were before, cinemas will not completely die out and go away. There is always a market for every niche.

I think in the next few years you might need to show a passport to get in theater.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/21 at 11:44 am

I saw "Nomadland" earlier today, it won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress for McDormand, from a total of six nominations; Zhao became the first woman of color to win Best Director, while McDormand became the first person in history to win Academy Awards as both producer and performer for the same film.

I was not impressed by it.

Check for new replies or respond here...