inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you guys think late 00s and 10s nostalgia will kick in?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/07/21 at 11:16 am

We had a lot of 80s nostalgia in the 00s and plenty of 90s and early 00s nostalgia last decade. So I wonder if this decade will see late 00s or 10s nostalgia. And by nostalgia I mean it permeates internet culture like how 90s nostalgia did in the early/mid 10s and early 00s did in the mid/late 10s. I wouldn't say a handful of YT videos counts.

My best bet would be mid 20s for late 00s nostalgia since late 00s will look ancient by then and Zoomers will be mostly in their 20s and reminiscing their childhoods. Early 10s would either be lumped in with late 00s and looked back on with rose tinted goggles at the same time or lumped in with the rest of the 10s and have a nostalgia season or revival in the late 20s or 30s. Or maybe it wouldn't happen at all. Who knows?

Subject: Re: When do you guys think late 00s and 10s nostalgia will kick in?

Written By: CarCar on 05/07/21 at 10:34 pm

We had a lot of 80s nostalgia in the 00s and plenty of 90s and early 00s nostalgia last decade. So I wonder if this decade will see late 00s or 10s nostalgia. And by nostalgia I mean it permeates internet culture like how 90s nostalgia did in the early/mid 10s and early 00s did in the mid/late 10s. I wouldn't say a handful of YT videos counts.

My best bet would be mid 20s for late 00s nostalgia since late 00s will look ancient by then and Zoomers will be mostly in their 20s and reminiscing their childhoods. Early 10s would either be lumped in with late 00s and looked back on with rose tinted goggles at the same time or lumped in with the rest of the 10s and have a nostalgia season or revival in the late 20s or 30s. Or maybe it wouldn't happen at all. Who knows?

I thought nostalgia was cyclical ? Unless all Zoomers had terrible childhoods I don’t see it not happening. Besides we replaced 60s nostalgia for the 80s now anyways considering the decade is close to being 50 years old now

I think people will view 2000/2010s(early 2010s) as the era when the internet wasn’t so complicated as it is now. Considering people on Twitter brag about getting away with being bullies in the early 2010s

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/08/21 at 1:12 am

I thought nostalgia was cyclical ? Unless all Zoomers had terrible childhoods I don’t see it not happening. Besides we replaced 60s nostalgia for the 80s now anyways considering the decade is close to being 50 years old now

I think people will view 2000/2010s(early 2010s) as the era when the internet wasn’t so complicated as it is now. Considering people on Twitter brag about getting away with being bullies in the early 2010s

It is cyclical although late 00s/10s is unpopular compared to previous eras which is why it might not happen.

Written By: CarCar on 05/08/21 at 6:06 am

It is cyclical although late 00s/10s is unpopular compared to previous eras which is why it might not happen.

It’s really unpopular amongst people who weren’t even kids during that era. Considering it’s close to almost turning 15 years old and kids born in 2008 are almost in high school it shouldn’t be too far off now. Even the IPhones that came in that time are starting to look a little vintage

Gotta wait for people who graduated in 2009 to start feeling that “I’m old” vibe for it too hold some nostalgic value. I give it until about 2026

Besides to many Hannah Montana lovers for it to not become nostalgic at some point. Miley is not gonna young and looking like that forever. Justin Bieber, Drake, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Adele, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry’s earliest hits will be 16/17 by then. That’s gotta count for something lol

2000s nostalgia is already happening with the early side buts understandable since it already turned 20

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/08/21 at 7:59 am

I always thought that the nostalgia cycle was around 16 years. Right now there's a lot of nostalgia for the Mid 00's c. 2005. I think the late 00's nostalgia will kick in in the mid 2020's.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/08/21 at 8:03 am

I always thought that the nostalgia cycle was around 16 years. Right now there's a lot of nostalgia for the Mid 00's c. 2005. I think the late 00's nostalgia will kick in in the mid 2020's.

Really? From what i've seen it's mostly early 00s but with mid 00s creeping in.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/08/21 at 9:20 am

Whenever the economy gets better, and therefore, more employers won't have the ridiculous "standards" for the appearance of their employees by then.

I would imagine not for another ten years, and even then, I'm pessimistic.

Some may be confused by me wanting it to happen, because I may have said before that I considered November 2007 a border between the mid 2000s and late 2000s, but I still like the era November 2007 - December 2012, I guess, "enough". Yeah, I like the era enough.

Written By: CarCar on 05/08/21 at 1:04 pm

But also who is this mid 2000s nostalgia even coming from ? I doubt it’s people in they’re 50s and 60s

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/08/21 at 1:46 pm

But also who is this mid 2000s nostalgia even coming from ? I doubt it’s people in they’re 50s and 60s

i've only seen it on the internet so it's hard to tell. mostly zoomers, maybe a few millenials i think.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/21 at 1:54 pm

Whenever the economy gets better, and therefore, more employers won't have the ridiculous "standards" for the appearance of their employees by then.

I would imagine not for another ten years, and even then, I'm pessimistic.

Some may be confused by me wanting it to happen, because I may have said before that I considered November 2007 a border between the mid 2000s and late 2000s, but I still like the era November 2007 - December 2012, I guess, "enough". Yeah, I like the era enough.

I would think so too, Is there enough nostalgia yet or should we still wait? ???

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/08/21 at 1:55 pm

Still wait, most likely.

Written By: CarCar on 05/08/21 at 3:53 pm

i've only seen it on the internet so it's hard to tell. mostly zoomers, maybe a few millenials i think.

Okay well Zoomers were either born during that era or very small children who weren’t even old enough too enjoy it. So when they become teenagers/young adults, they’ll be the ones asking for content that represents that era more then people who actually lived it

You wanna see a boom, I’ll give until we’re in the late 2020s, cause by then kids born in the late 2000s and early 2020s will be young adults and teenagers and those of us born in the late 90s and early 2000s will be in our 30s/late 20s. Youth doesn’t last forever. At some point we’ll be the elders who complain about today’s music

prmmCg5bKxA

Besides music videos from that era have aged a bit

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/08/21 at 4:06 pm

Okay well Zoomers were either born during that era or very small children who weren’t even old enough too enjoy it. So when they become teenagers/young adults, they’ll be the ones asking for content that represents that era more then people who actually lived it

You wanna see a boom, I’ll give until we’re in the late 2020s, cause by then kids born in the late 2000s and early 2020s will be young adults and teenagers and those of us born in the late 90s and early 2000s will be in our 30s/late 20s. Youth doesn’t last forever. At some point we’ll be the elders who complain about today’s music

prmmCg5bKxA

Besides music videos from that era have aged a bit

why would they have more nostalgia for it than kids or teens who lived during the era?

Written By: CarCar on 05/08/21 at 5:27 pm

why would they have more nostalgia for it than kids or teens who lived during the era?

Well I meant like more of a fascination for the era once it becomes retro/vintage kinda like we do with the 90s/early 2000s. People our age will feel the nostalgia since we will be older.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/21 at 11:58 am

IMO, I think it's now mostly mid 00s with some early 00s left over. Some of the recent songs on my playlist have the 2001 sound, like "What You Know Bout Love" by Pop Smoke and "Summertime" by KURUPT FM feat. Craig David. But overall I noticed a lot more music samples of mid 00s song like Chris Brown's "Go Crazy" that samples T-Pain's "I'm Sprung".

Many Zoomers are emulating the emo look as the Millenials back when they were their age back in the mid 00s.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/10/21 at 12:31 pm

Many Zoomers are emulating the emo look as the Millenials back when they were their age back in the mid 00s.

I haven't seen this at all. Is this a new tiktok fad or something?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/21 at 3:05 pm

I haven't seen this at all. Is this a new tiktok fad or something?

I'm not on TikTok so I wouldn't know. I've just noticed this on FriendProject which looks like the classic MySpace, but maybe they've always looked like that on there. Anyhow I noticed it mainly in music styles as mentioned before. Also Gwen Stefani's new "Slow Clap" song is reminiscent of "Hollaback Girl" (even referenced by Saweetie in the remix). Also there's an upcoming sequel/spin-off to "How I Met Your Mother".

I meant to mention this earlier but I felt early 00's nostalgia peaked in the late 10's, like with the "2002" song in 2018.

Written By: wixness on 05/10/21 at 3:31 pm

Late this decade. For now, the 90s and the years 2000-2005 are the target years of nostalgia.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/11/21 at 4:04 am

Late this decade. For now, the 90s and the years 2000-2005 are the target years of nostalgia.

Seems about right. Anything 1990s, and I'd actually extend it to around 2000-2008. Basically I think anything between GW Bush and just before Obama. I don't think we're at the point where the Obama era is nostalgic yet, to most people who are let's say Zoomers, he was their first President and still seems relevant and modern, not a far-off nostalgic figure. Millenials still dominate marketing I would say, so you'll probably still get 90s nostalgia being around for the next 5-10 years. I don't think nostalgia will continue to be as strictly cyclical as it was historically.

Also, I don't think Zoomers are a sentimental generation in the way Boomers, Gen X and Millenials were or are. I don't think Zoomers tend to mythologize the time of their childhoods as much.

They might turn out like the GI Generation, who if they were nostalgic, became so for some quaint time prior to their birth (Example, how Rod Serling, who was born in 1924, glamorized the 1890s as this simple, quaint time).

Written By: CarCar on 05/11/21 at 7:04 am

IMO, I think it's now mostly mid 00s with some early 00s left over. Some of the recent songs on my playlist have the 2001 sound, like "What You Know Bout Love" by Pop Smoke and "Summertime" by KURUPT FM feat. Craig David. But overall I noticed a lot more music samples of mid 00s song like Chris Brown's "Go Crazy" that samples T-Pain's "I'm Sprung".

Mid 2000s nostalgia is kinda recent. Songs like Mood by 24kGoldn kinda use a mid 2000s sound over they’re song, so this is ongoing.

Written By: wixness on 05/18/21 at 4:27 pm

Seems about right. Anything 1990s, and I'd actually extend it to around 2000-2008. Basically I think anything between GW Bush and just before Obama. I don't think we're at the point where the Obama era is nostalgic yet, to most people who are let's say Zoomers, he was their first President and still seems relevant and modern, not a far-off nostalgic figure. Millenials still dominate marketing I would say, so you'll probably still get 90s nostalgia being around for the next 5-10 years. I don't think nostalgia will continue to be as strictly cyclical as it was historically.

Also, I don't think Zoomers are a sentimental generation in the way Boomers, Gen X and Millenials were or are. I don't think Zoomers tend to mythologize the time of their childhoods as much.

They might turn out like the GI Generation, who if they were nostalgic, became so for some quaint time prior to their birth (Example, how Rod Serling, who was born in 1924, glamorized the 1890s as this simple, quaint time).

I do find it a bit depressing though that I'll be 30 when the stuff I love is in.

Written By: CarCar on 05/18/21 at 6:31 pm

Olivia Rodrigo just recently did it in her recent video along as channeling “Jennifer’s Body” which came out in 2009

Check for new replies or respond here...