inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does this seem like a reasonable theory as far as Zoomers and nostalgia?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/11/21 at 4:13 am

I don't think Zoomers are a sentimental generation in the same way Boomers, Gen X and Millenials were or are. Which is to say that I don't think Zoomers tend to mythologize the time of their childhoods or the past in general as much.

They might turn out like the GI Generation, who if they were nostalgic, became so for some quaint time prior to their birth (Example, how Rod Serling, who was born in 1924, glamorized the 1890s as this simple, quaint time).

But I think Zoomers live more in the present and future and don't dwell as much on the bygone past, or if they do think of it, see more flaws than things worth glamorizing (whereas Boomers, and their offspring, are prone to longing for yesteryear).

When I speak of Zoomers, I speak more of the younger tier, those born in the early-mid 00s, the ones who are between let us say 13 and 21 now; they're the most distinct group, culturally; the older Zoomers tend to blend with Millenials in some ways having been raised alongside them.

When I was growing up (I'm 30), I didn't consider the 1970s (IE 20 years before I was born) some far off time ago that was utterly alien or irrelevant to me, and I don't think a lot of my peers did either. It was maybe a little weird in terms of fashion, but only when you got to the Hippie 60s was it laughable, and then anything before the 1960s really held no relevance to people my age (when we were teens, I mean). The Kennedy era wasn't cool to Millenials until Mad Men, Elvis was a punchline.

Now to Zoomers, the 1990s for example were an ancient, primitive age, and really anything before then is considered to be either just sort of laughably dismissed as old, irrelevant as ancient history, or held as despicable. Their own childhoods depending on their age group ranged from the late 90s to the early 00s.

The older tier of Zoomers, those being born around/after 1996 to 2000, MAY have some 90s nostalgia (for that roughly let's say 1998-2004 era of Nick and things), but I feel the younger tier (who I am focusing on in this thread) is more culturally distinct from Millenials than the older tier are, do not have the same nostalgia (outside of their personal memories, of course) for their childhoods as in pop culture or aesthetics. They are more based in the present and with thoughts to the future.

Subject: Re: Does this seem like a reasonable theory as far as Zoomers and nostalgia?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 4:15 am

I don't think Zoomers are a sentimental generation in the same way Boomers, Gen X and Millenials were or are. Which is to say that I don't think Zoomers tend to mythologize the time of their childhoods as much.

They might turn out like the GI Generation, who if they were nostalgic, became so for some quaint time prior to their birth (Example, how Rod Serling, who was born in 1924, glamorized the 1890s as this simple, quaint time).

But I think Zoomers live more in the present and future and don't dwell as much on the bygone past, or if they do think of it, see more flaws than things worth glamorizing (whereas Boomers, and their offspring, are prone to longing for yesteryear).

When I was growing up (I'm 30), I didn't consider the 1970s (IE 20 years before I was born) some far off time ago that was utterly alien or irrelevant to me, and I don't think a lot of my peers did either. It was maybe a little weird in terms of fashion, but only when you got to the Hippie 60s was it laughable, and then anything before the 1960s really held no relevance to people my age (when we were teens, I mean). The Kennedy era wasn't cool to Millenials until Mad Men, Elvis was a punchline.

Now to Zoomers, the 1990s for example were an ancient, primitive age, and really anything before then is considered to be either just sort of laughably dismissed as old, irrelevant as ancient history, or held as despicable. Their own childhoods depending on their age group ranged from the late 90s to the early 00s.

The older tier of Zoomers, those being born around/after 1996 to 2000, MAY have some 90s nostalgia (for that roughly let's say 1998-2004 era of Nick and things) but when I speak of Zoomers, I speak more of the younger tier, those born in the early-mid 00s, the ones who are between let us say 13 and 21 now; they're the most distinct group, culturally; the older Zoomers tend to blend with Millenials in some ways having been raised alongside them.
Are Zoomers the new Generation Z, the generation of people born in the late 1990s and early 2000?

Subject: Re: Does this seem like a reasonable theory as far as Zoomers and nostalgia?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/11/21 at 4:16 am

Are Zoomers the new Generation Z, the generation of people born in the late 1990s and early 2000?

That's what they tend to be called. It's blurry, the same way the term Boomer has been misused beyond recognition.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 4:24 am

That's what they tend to be called. It's blurry, the same way the term Boomer has been misused beyond recognition.
I though Zoomers was a collective word for people that use the modern enterprise video communication Zoom.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/11/21 at 4:33 am

I though Zoomers was a collective word for people that use the modern enterprise video communication Zoom.

I go on Discord, and there is a mix of people my age (and some older than I), but more often people who trend younger, the "teenyboppers" as my parents called them. They tend to call themselves Zoomers. In one Discord I am in, there is literally a separate room called "The Zoomer Room" for the kids.

Written By: wixness on 05/11/21 at 5:46 am

Born in 97, largely prefer the 2000s and early 2010s.

Written By: CarCar on 05/11/21 at 7:07 am

I don't think Zoomers are a sentimental generation in the same way Boomers, Gen X and Millenials were or are. Which is to say that I don't think Zoomers tend to mythologize the time of their childhoods or the past in general as much.

When I speak of Zoomers, I speak more of the younger tier, those born in the early-mid 00s, the ones who are between let us say 13 and 21 now; they're the most distinct group, culturally; the older Zoomers tend to blend with Millenials in some ways having been raised alongside them.

The older tier of Zoomers, those being born around/after 1996 to 2000, MAY have some 90s nostalgia (for that roughly let's say 1998-2004 era of Nick and things), but I feel the younger tier (who I am focusing on in this thread) is more culturally distinct from Millenials than the older tier are, do not have the same nostalgia (outside of their personal memories, of course) for their childhoods as in pop culture or aesthetics. They are more based in the present and with thoughts to the future.

Doesn’t Gen Z go all the into the early 2010s as far as birth years ?, if that’s the case then they’re still in they’re childhoods lol

Too soon to say now, besides if Gen Z started in the mid 90s that means many were kids in the early 2000s which means they’re nostalgia is given

Written By: Howard on 05/11/21 at 7:23 am

Then what would today's generation of kids be called?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 7:28 am

Then what would today's generation of kids be called?
The Blurs?

Written By: karen on 05/11/21 at 7:43 am

I think my kids are zoomers. Quite frankly I think they are too young to have any sense of nostalgia for anything yet. People feel nostalgic for their teenage years in my experience. How can someone in their late teens/early twenties long for something that they have only just been experiencing?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/11/21 at 9:06 am

I think my kids are zoomers. Quite frankly I think they are too young to have any sense of nostalgia for anything yet. People feel nostalgic for their teenage years in my experience. How can someone in their late teens/early twenties long for something that they have only just been experiencing?

Exactly!  And I think there is a difference between memory and nostalgia.  My memory goes back to the 1950's but I don't see the past as in any way idealic, it was what it was, some good, some not so good.  I think that's how most people deal with their past

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 9:25 am

Children, while learning the experience of life and educating themselves, are to busy to feel nostalgia, especially remembering past years, but yearn for the day, like breakfast, etc.

Written By: CarCar on 05/11/21 at 10:04 am

That’s why I thought. Why would young people and kids have nostalgia for they’re youth when they are the youth. It just doesn’t make any sense

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 10:36 am

Also, there is another factor, the older you get, the more years there are to be nostalgic with.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/21 at 1:38 pm

Also, there is another factor, the older you get, the more years there are to be nostalgic with.

I am nearing 50 years of age, I am nostalgic with The 1980's.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/12/21 at 3:53 am

Zoomed here, albeit an older one:

No, you're wrong. We do have nostalgia, but it's primarily for our childhood decade, which is the 2000s. We think older decades are dated, but give them the respect they deserve but don't like it when older generations trash more recent decades with blatant generalizations and refuse to understand our point of view. The older zoomers (1997/1998 to 2002/2003) are all nostalgic for the 2000s, or more specifically the cultural period between 1997 to 2013. Which is technically the entire span of Gen Zs birth years. We're especially nostalgic for the late 2000s and early 2010s, meaning 2008 to 2013. The last time period before things went downhill. My younger siblings also think the 2000s were better than the 2010s despite barely rembering them. The 2000s were the last normal decade. As much as millennials hate it, it has more in common with the other decades of the late 20th century then it does with the 2010s. Unlike now, social media and the internet didn't have a strong impact on culture. Smartphones, which should actually be called pocket computers, weren't everywhere. Teenagers still did the same reckless things teenagers did before. Social media, cancel culture, sjws, social justice, identity politics, the politicization of culture, and risk aversness were not around then. Even as late as 2015, I remember my civics teacher telling us she couldn't tell us her political opinion or influence us in anyway, but after 2015, all everyone ever spoke about was politics. Politics in school, politics in games, movies, music and all other forms of entertainment. Political talk was everywhere. Before 2013, politics was a boring topic only adults ever cared about, but now everyone has to have an opinion. I want to go back to that world, the pre 2013 world. But it's gone, and never coming back. My younger brothers also feel nostalgia for the mid 2010s as well. Which weren't too bad. But, I don't know too many people who feel anything at all towards the late 2010s. That is a period most of us want to forget. I'd say if the 2020s turn out to be a very good decade then it will become the decade that defines our generation and the one we'll feel the most nostalgia for. The same way many Boomers and Xers feel about the 80s, and older generations did about the 50s.

Written By: CarCar on 05/12/21 at 12:34 pm

Zoomed here, albeit an older one:

No, you're wrong. We do have nostalgia, but it's primarily for our childhood decade, which is the 2000s. We think older decades are dated, but give them the respect they deserve but don't like it when older generations trash more recent decades with blatant generalizations and refuse to understand our point of view. The older zoomers (1997/1998 to 2002/2003) are all nostalgic for the 2000s, or more specifically the cultural period between 1997 to 2013. Which is technically the entire span of Gen Zs birth years. We're especially nostalgic for the late 2000s and early 2010s, meaning 2008 to 2013. The last time period before things went downhill. My younger siblings also think the 2000s were better than the 2010s despite barely rembering them. The 2000s were the last normal decade. As much as millennials hate it, it has more in common with the other decades of the late 20th century then it does with the 2010s. Unlike now, social media and the internet didn't have a strong impact on culture. Smartphones, which should actually be called pocket computers, weren't everywhere. Teenagers still did the same reckless things teenagers did before. Social media, cancel culture, sjws, social justice, identity politics, the politicization of culture, and risk aversness were not around then. Even as late as 2015, I remember my civics teacher telling us she couldn't tell us her political opinion or influence us in anyway, but after 2015, all everyone ever spoke about was politics. Politics in school, politics in games, movies, music and all other forms of entertainment. Political talk was everywhere. Before 2013, politics was a boring topic only adults ever cared about, but now everyone has to have an opinion. I want to go back to that world, the pre 2013 world. But it's gone, and never coming back. My younger brothers also feel nostalgia for the mid 2010s as well. Which weren't too bad. But, I don't know too many people who feel anything at all towards the late 2010s. That is a period most of us want to forget. I'd say if the 2020s turn out to be a very good decade then it will become the decade that defines our generation and the one we'll feel the most nostalgia for. The same way many Boomers and Xers feel about the 80s, and older generations did about the 50s.

It sounds to me like you just started understanding “grownup” talk in 2013. Guess that’s when you’re innocence died

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/12/21 at 1:48 pm

Zoomers are extremely nostalgic. Probably even more so than other generations were at our current ages.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/21 at 1:55 pm

Zoomers are extremely nostalgic. Probably even more so than other generations were at our current ages.
I would say that older people are more nostalgic, for they have more years experienced to be nostalgic with.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/12/21 at 2:03 pm

I would say that older people are more nostalgic, for they have more years experienced to be nostalgic with.

Yes, which is why I said we are more nostalgic then they were at our current age.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/21 at 12:09 pm

I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/10/21 at 9:05 pm

Zoomers listen to a lot of classic rock. They are also less reactionary than other generations, and less apt to romanticize the good old days.

Check for new replies or respond here...