inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Gen Z Really Talk Like This?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/21 at 4:49 pm

JF2Mf6HxIi0

???

Subject: Re: Does Gen Z Really Talk Like This?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/21 at 5:33 pm

I'm not sure about Zoomers, but many Millennials, female and male, speak like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY

Written By: Howard on 05/16/21 at 7:27 am

I'm not sure about Zoomers, but many Millennials, female and male, speak like this:

The way she talks sounds funny.  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/21 at 7:41 am

Makes me almost wish we could go back to this, lol.

pZsLPdVfir0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/21 at 9:41 am

pZsLPdVfir0

The thing is, "Valleyspeak" was never really a pervasive nationwide phenomenon, though everybody started saying things like "gag me with a spoon" on the strength of Frank Zappa's hit song.  But today's vocal fry and uptalk are all-pervasive, entrenched, and, unfortunately, here to stay. When even high ranking people like White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki use uptalk to the extreme, we are beyond the point of no return. 

Written By: Slim95 on 05/16/21 at 11:01 am

Thr thing that annoys me though is the younger generation just uses recycled terms from the '90s. No more originality. Back then, an older time would be considered uncool. But today the older generations are seen as cool since the current one is so bad.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/21 at 12:27 pm

He's an interesting version of uptalk from a Chime commercial. This one is kind of unique in that it seems to make a declarative statement with the word "trust" and then becomes uptalk in the extreme with  "...my bank???". It's like the sentence is split into two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXrQd83Mkw

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/21 at 1:32 pm

He's an interesting version of uptalk from a Chime commercial. This one is kind of unique in that it seems to make a declarative statement with the word "trust" and then becomes uptalk in the extreme with  "...my bank???". It's like the sentence is split into two parts.

Or this Chime commercial where the chick brags about getting her “pee check” two days early (with “early” being the uptalk).  ::)

fHQsZwLQB1k

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/21 at 1:54 pm

Or this Chime commercial where the chick brags about getting her “pee check” two days early (with “early” being the uptalk).  ::)

Chime is definitely going for the uptalking demographic.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/21 at 1:59 pm

pZsLPdVfir0

I don't think we should go back to this kind of language, it should stay In The 80's.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/21 at 2:03 pm

fHQsZwLQB1k

She's actually saying "paycheck" but your mind is hearing "pee check".

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/21 at 2:19 pm

She's actually saying "paycheck" but your mind is hearing "pee check".

Sounds like pee check to me.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/16/21 at 6:06 pm

Not IRL, but they talk just like that online

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/16/21 at 7:14 pm

Thr thing that annoys me though is the younger generation just uses recycled terms from the '90s. No more originality. Back then, an older time would be considered uncool. But today the older generations are seen as cool since the current one is so bad.

Not a fan of gen z culture but i've seen a lot of original lingo over the past couple years like "lit" or "lowkey".

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/17/21 at 3:09 pm

The thing is, "Valleyspeak" was never really a pervasive nationwide phenomenon, though everybody started saying things like "gag me with a spoon" on the strength of Frank Zappa's hit song.  But today's vocal fry and uptalk are all-pervasive, entrenched, and, unfortunately, here to stay. When even high ranking people like White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki use uptalk to the extreme, we are beyond the point of no return.

I thought the surfer dude/Valley girl talk did catch on nationwide around the late 1980's/early 90's with Bill and Ted and TMNT, and even Wayne's World, though the latter was more 90's and used some of the same phrases in the movie Clueless such as "as if!"

Yeah, I noticed from the SNL skit and I was wondering do Zoomers really use the word "bro" that much? I don't think that word ever really went out of style as me and my friends addressed each other as such in the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/17/21 at 4:28 pm

I thought the surfer dude/Valley girl talk did catch on nationwide around the late 1980's/early 90's with Bill and Ted and TMNT, and even Wayne's World, though the latter was more 90's and used some of the same phrases in the movie Clueless such as "as if!"

But not nearly as pervasive or entrenched or as----dare I say----, RESPECTABLE. You've got high ranking officials like Millennial Jen Psaki who is the WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY for heaven's sake, who is such an uptalker that she ends every single sentence on an upslide.  Every. Single. Sentence. You neve saw an 80s Valley Girl or a 90s surfer dude as White House Press Secretary. Newscasters and other broadcasters on the local and national level now speak in vocal fry. Again, you never saw newscasters use valley talk in the 80s. Teachers, college professors all use vocal fry and uptalk. Pete Buttigieg uses uptalk. It has insidiously invaded every nook and cranny in a way that valleyspeak never did.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/21 at 12:17 pm

Nobody I know talks like that and I've never heard Gen Z talk like the SNL video either. There was a big stink made over it too.  ::)

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/18/21 at 2:12 pm

All those words are basically just memes used by Kpop Twitter and Tik Tok commenters

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/18/21 at 4:33 pm

One minute of Kim Kardashian vocal frying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mcBdBL-t0

In this unintentionally ironic video, every one of the females and many of the males use uptalk at the end of sentences. The hilarious thing is this video is supposed to be about speech patterns that annoy people.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YkgEQlVCk

Written By: Howard on 05/19/21 at 8:06 am

One minute of Kim Kardashian vocal frying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mcBdBL-t0

In this unintentionally ironic video, every one of the females and many of the males use uptalk at the end of sentences. The hilarious thing is this video is supposed to be about speech patterns that annoy people.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YkgEQlVCk

Kim sounds like a robot.  ;D

Written By: karen on 05/19/21 at 11:21 am

My daughter used to do the uptalk thing when we lived in the US. On one memorable occasion she was filmed for some local news thing and they asked her name. When she answered “Elizabeth?” I was so annoyed. It made her sound so unsure of her own identity !

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/21 at 11:47 am

My daughter used to do the uptalk thing when we lived in the US. On one memorable occasion she was filmed for some local news thing and they asked her name. When she answered “Elizabeth?” I was so annoyed. It made her sound so unsure of her own identity !
Is the Gen Z Talk available on Google Translate?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/20/21 at 2:36 am

Yeah, I noticed from the SNL skit and I was wondering do Zoomers really use the word "bro" that much? I don't think that word ever really went out of style as me and my friends addressed each other as such in the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's.

Bruh is the zoomer equivalent of bro.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/21 at 4:01 am

As for brother?

What would be the plural for 'bruh'?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/20/21 at 4:28 am

As for brother?

What would be the plural for 'bruh'?

Dunno. Bruhs, maybe? Lol.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 7:24 am

It's the cool way of saying "brother".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/21 at 10:21 am

It's the cool way of saying "brother".
Why not say brother in the first place, then everyone will know the word that is spoken?

...or is it words of only one syllable that the Gen Z speaks?

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 2:42 pm

Why not say brother in the first place, then everyone will know the word that is spoken?

That's the way they speak, it's their own lingo.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/21/21 at 7:00 pm

"Brother" is a noun. "Bruh" is a way of showing surprise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/21 at 7:48 am

"Bruh" is a way of showing surprise.
Which is correct?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/22/21 at 1:15 pm

Both. You're showing surprise by saying "whoa, brother..."

Written By: Howard on 05/22/21 at 2:16 pm

Which is correct?

The bottom.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/22/21 at 2:17 pm

In my experience, for the most part, sadly, yes.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/22/21 at 2:19 pm

Not a fan of gen z culture but i've seen a lot of original lingo over the past couple years like "lit" or "lowkey".

"lit" may be new, but "lowkey" definitely isn't new. It's in some old dictionaries, and you can catch that word in quite a few episodes of Frasier.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/22/21 at 5:14 pm

JF2Mf6HxIi0

???

This just shows just how much African American culture is now a part of of pop culture/youth culture now. I mean, it's been a thing since the late 80s but it's become so cemented at this point.

Written By: xenzue on 05/23/21 at 2:59 am

Yes and no (To OP). It's significantly toned down. Also depends who you are, women tend to use words that originated from the Black LGBT community, straight men use words that originate from hip hop cultures. Pretty much 80% of the words originated from sort of POC community. They're often used incorrectly, especially bussin, slaps, etc or unnaturally overused to the point of exhaustion (sus, chile, etc.). A ton of these are really old too. Like 80s-2000s old.

Check for new replies or respond here...