inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does it kind of feel like pop culture doesn't really exist anymore?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 5:38 am

What I mean is....

I was thinking about how at one time, let's say when I was a teen in the mid 2000s. You had dedicated scenes. Some things were cool, some things weren't. People dressed certain ways which gave an insight into what subculture they were into. A PlayStation 2 was almost like a status symbol and the more games you had the cooler it was. There was a varied mainstream musical scene where Eminem and 50 Cent led Rap (other artists as well of course) battled against Linkin Park, Evanescence, Green Day and the like. There was a distinct pop music sound that was separate from these other two. There was a dedicated Emo scene.

Even later in the 00s, having an XBOX 360 was a big deal, even for like, the 30 somethings I was around. It was an expensive way to show off.

Today it doesn't feel like "scenes" exist. It doesn't seem to be like having a PS5 is a status symbol or a cultural marker of whether you're "with the times" or not, it's just something some have and others don't. Pop, rock, and rap have since the 2010s kind of all blended into one sort of genre that isn't very distinct. There's not really subcultures anymore. Even markers of identity that would've been still risque or counter cultural markers as of say 2003 (tattoos, piercings, colored hair) are just sort of accepted today (not that that's a bad thing). Geek culture nowadays is mainstream whereas in 2003 say, being a geek was well, still a thing, and not in a necessarly good way.

Or going back even further, let's say in the 90s. A Grunge fan dressed a certain way, which was different from how a Rap fan dressed, which was different from your average American person. RPGs and such were still confined to the tabletops and not really accepted. Now, The Witcher was recently a massive Netflix show. Computing was more of a luxury than anything whereas now they're so much a part of daily life we don't even think of them, and some don't even use a computer for much but use their Tablet or IPhone or Android (and everyone has at least one of those devices - but even now, having the latest Tablet or IPhone isn't a status symbol the way it was say, 5 years ago - I know a lot of people who still use IPhone 7s and they aren't considered culturally backward for it. Whereas in 2002/2003 I was lame for still having a portable CD player).

I just feel like the pop culture of old doesn't exist anymore.

Subject: Re: Does it kind of feel like pop culture doesn't really exist anymore?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/22/21 at 9:55 am

I say give it time. It’s easier to look back and see what defined the era, as opposed to currently living in it. Some current things we see will be applicable and other things not much.

Things do change faster now due to internet and social media.

Subject: Re: Does it kind of feel like pop culture doesn't really exist anymore?

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/22/21 at 10:10 am

No, you’re just not in high school anymore so it’s not as visible to you as it may have been back then.

Written By: Emman on 05/22/21 at 12:08 pm

What I mean is....

I was thinking about how at one time, let's say when I was a teen in the mid 2000s. You had dedicated scenes. Some things were cool, some things weren't. People dressed certain ways which gave an insight into what subculture they were into. A PlayStation 2 was almost like a status symbol and the more games you had the cooler it was. There was a varied mainstream musical scene where Eminem and 50 Cent led Rap (other artists as well of course) battled against Linkin Park, Evanescence, Green Day and the like. There was a distinct pop music sound that was separate from these other two. There was a dedicated Emo scene.

Even later in the 00s, having an XBOX 360 was a big deal, even for like, the 30 somethings I was around. It was an expensive way to show off.

Today it doesn't feel like "scenes" exist. It doesn't seem to be like having a PS5 is a status symbol or a cultural marker of whether you're "with the times" or not, it's just something some have and others don't. Pop, rock, and rap have since the 2010s kind of all blended into one sort of genre that isn't very distinct. There's not really subcultures anymore. Even markers of identity that would've been still risque or counter cultural markers as of say 2003 (tattoos, piercings, colored hair) are just sort of accepted today (not that that's a bad thing). Geek culture nowadays is mainstream whereas in 2003 say, being a geek was well, still a thing, and not in a necessarly good way.

Or going back even further, let's say in the 90s. A Grunge fan dressed a certain way, which was different from how a Rap fan dressed, which was different from your average American person. RPGs and such were still confined to the tabletops and not really accepted. Now, The Witcher was recently a massive Netflix show. Computing was more of a luxury than anything whereas now they're so much a part of daily life we don't even think of them, and some don't even use a computer for much but use their Tablet or IPhone or Android (and everyone has at least one of those devices - but even now, having the latest Tablet or IPhone isn't a status symbol the way it was say, 5 years ago - I know a lot of people who still use IPhone 7s and they aren't considered culturally backward for it. Whereas in 2002/2003 I was lame for still having a portable CD player).

I've observed many of the same things you have, the whole early 21st century has gradually been revealing a "end of history"-like stasis, the constant turnover of stylistic movements has ended, this basically defined modernism, I guess this is the final realization of post-modernism.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/22/21 at 4:28 pm

I've observed many of the same things you have, the whole early 21st century has gradually been revealing a "end of history"-like stasis, the constant turnover of stylistic movements has ended, this basically defined modernism, I guess this is the final realization of post-modernism.

Oh, absolutely. When I first read the original post, "the end of history" was the first thing that came to my mind. "the constant turnover of stylistic movements" has indeed ended as such. There is simply no way to "measure" culture anymore. Back in 1992, Leonard Cohen released an album called "The Future". One of the lines in the title cut, talking of the future, said "there won't be nothing you can measure anymore". It turned out to be most prophetic. I didn't get that line in 1992, but, double negative aside,  I most certainly get it now.

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 5:05 pm

I say give it time. It’s easier to look back and see what defined the era, as opposed to currently living in it. Some current things we see will be applicable and other things not much.

Things do change faster now due to internet and social media.

I agree with this, but I also as people get older the less in tune they are with pop culture. My 9 year old niece loves everything there is today on pop culture, she loves roblox, YouTube content creators, Ariana grande while I just feel indifferent towards it

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 5:18 pm

I agree with this, but I also as people get older the less in tune they are with pop culture. My 9 year old niece loves everything there is today on pop culture, she loves roblox, YouTube content creators, Ariana grande while I just feel indifferent towards it

Thing is where at one time say, a 9 year old would like their own things (like say, Nick and Gameboy back in the day), someone who was 30 would be into their own things. Whereas now, to use your examples, most 30 somethings watch youtube personalities and like arianna grande and similar artists.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/22/21 at 5:44 pm

Thing is where at one time say, a 9 year old would like their own things (like say, Nick and Gameboy back in the day), someone who was 30 would be into their own things. Whereas now, to use your examples, most 30 somethings watch youtube personalities and like arianna grande and similar artists.

Eh...I get what you're saying but even back in the 90s and 2000s, I saw 30-40 yr olds and even some 50 yr olds paying attention to and liking artists of those days. And 9 year olds back the 90s loved Cobain and Tupac believe it or not. And YouTube is a platform that has personalities that can appeal to most age groups currently living, if not all. Many personalities are about content and ideas and those contents and ideas has slowly seeped into the minds of older generations. Even Boomers are big on memes...even if those memes are lame.

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 6:46 pm

Eh...I get what you're saying but even back in the 90s and 2000s, I saw 30-40 yr olds and even some 50 yr olds paying attention to and liking artists of those days. And 9 year olds back the 90s loved Cobain and Tupac believe it or not. And YouTube is a platform that has personalities that can appeal to most age groups currently living, if not all. Many personalities are about content and ideas and those contents and ideas has slowly seeped into the minds of older generations. Even Boomers are big on memes...even if those memes are lame.

I see 12 year olds who go crazy for all those big YouTube personalities, PS5, Olivia Rodrigo, Ariana Grande, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Baby etc way more then actual adults who are the same age these personalities.

They have adult fans but let’s be honest they’re target demographic is Kids and Pre-Teens why ? Because they look up to them in a way adults just can’t.

We’re the adults now just watching them enjoy they’re childhood

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 6:48 pm

What I mean is....

Olivia Rodrigo stans don’t dress like Drake stans

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 6:54 pm

Most of Ariana fan base isn’t made up of people in they’re 30s though, it’s mainly teenagers and kids

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/22/21 at 6:57 pm

I see 12 year olds who go crazy for all those big YouTube personalities, PS5, Olivia Rodrigo, Ariana Grande, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Baby etc way more then actual adults who are the same age these personalities.

They have adult fans but let’s be honest they’re target demographic is Kids and Pre-Teens why ? Because they look up to them in a way adults just can’t.

We’re the adults now just watching them enjoy they’re childhood

Yep to all of this. It's crazy how people are so blind that the millennial popular culture era is over with. There are remnants but it's at the edge of decline.

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 8:10 pm

Yep to all of this. It's crazy how people are so blind that the millennial popular culture era is over with. There are remnants but it's at the edge of decline.

It’s been over with, all the millennials I watched as teenagers in the 2000s are I’m sorry to say this but old. They’re the parents now. Like Lady Gaga may have been cool with the kids in 2008 but now her aesthetic has changed for her fan base of people mainly in they’re 40s, 30s and 20s.

Millennials especially the ones born in the 80s can’t see it but yeah they’re not what I would call the youth anymore. It’s probably why they think pop culture is dead. I’ve seen many who are obsessed with Britney Spears and act like she isn’t far removed past her prime in the 2000s.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 8:12 pm

It’s been over with, all the millennials I watched as teenagers in the 2000s are I’m sorry to say this but old. They’re the parents now. Like Lady Gaga may have been cool with the kids in 2008 but now her aesthetic has changed for her fan base of people mainly in they’re 40s, 30s and 20s.

Millennials especially the ones born in the 80s can’t see it but yeah they’re not what I would call the youth anymore.

I will have you know, I am a very youthful 30.

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 8:39 pm

I will have you know, I am a very youthful 30.

Lol and I don’t deny it but try explaining to other 30 year olds what they relate to in Olivia Rodrigo and Ariana Grande lyrics

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/22/21 at 9:12 pm

Millennials especially the ones born in the 80s can’t see it but yeah they’re not what I would call the youth anymore. It’s probably why they think pop culture is dead. I’ve seen many who are obsessed with Britney Spears and act like she isn’t far removed past her prime in the 2000s.

lol. I disagree with all of this because all the millennials I've met born in the 80s laugh about how we're all OLD. But maybe you've been bumping into different 80s born millennials. I just know in my circle and other 80s born circles I've encountered, we're completely aware our time is over. However, this seems to be different with the youngest millennials outside of the Zillennial range. They seem to be going through the adult pains right now.

Also, I would say Ariana Grande is a late-core millennial/Zillinnial/Z pop icon. Drake is even more expansive. He is a core millennial/Zinnennial/Z icon.

Written By: CarCar on 05/22/21 at 9:54 pm

lol. I disagree with all of this because all the millennials I've met born in the 80s laugh about how we're all OLD. But maybe you've been bumping into different 80s born millennials. I just know in my circle and other 80s born circles I've encountered, we're completely aware our time is over. However, this seems to be different with the youngest millennials outside of the Zillennial range. They seem to be going through the adult pains right now.

Also, I would say Ariana Grande is a late-core millennial/Zillinnial/Z pop icon. Drake is even more expansive. He is a core millennial/Zinnennial/Z icon.

Oh I’m talking the current times, even kids who were born in 2008-2011 love them. They’re more into his current aesthetic though. Hard to say when they’re domain will end. Since they’re practically babies and more impressionable they’ll probably consider them legends in the years to come. Gen Z after all is the generation after Millennials and the gap is only by a year so it makes sense that both generations have more or less the same icons but I’m different eras aesthetic.

Yeah 90s babies are being hit hard with that reality especially the ones on the older end. Actually a lot of the annoying people who hate what pop culture has turned into now were probably born in the 90s. 80s borns seem to have already moved passed it now that I think about it. I think I might actually meant that age group.

I also think little girls like my niece seem to adore Ariana grande. In a few years when Ari turns old and her youngest fans are adults. She’ll probably be like Britney Spears except with less of a traumatic experience. Sharing pictures of when they met her when they were young

Written By: Howard on 05/23/21 at 6:43 am

As I'm nearing 50 years old, I'm not much into pop culture as I once was.

Written By: Emman on 05/23/21 at 2:20 pm

Lol and I don’t deny it but try explaining to other 30 year olds what they relate to in Olivia Rodrigo and Ariana Grande lyrics

Can you explain how these two are any different than some of the other female pop/R&B singers of the past 20 years?

Ariana Grande in particular just seems like a Mariah Carrey knockoff like Lady Gaga is a Madonna knockoff.

Written By: CarCar on 05/23/21 at 3:17 pm

Can you explain how these two are any different than some of the other female pop/R&B singers of the past 20 years?

Ariana Grande in particular just seems like a Mariah Carrey knockoff like Lady Gaga is a Madonna knockoff.

Who cares if people think they’re knock-offs of past decades icons the point of the matter is kids love them.

They’re old and less appealing to kids and teenagers. Sure they got a few fans here and there who are kids of this generation but for the most part they only see them as icons of they’re parents generation.

Also just because someone draws inspiration from some past icon doesn’t mean they’re a knockoff.

I don’t really pay attention to eithers music like that, I just know who they’re fan bases are. But it seems that Olivia and Ariana use 2000s style music on they’re sound while Mariah/Madonna pretty much is the sound since they’re from that era.

Check for new replies or respond here...