inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gen Z's anti-Millennial backlash - 2010s officially uncool?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/23/21 at 8:04 pm

https://www.newsweek.com/tiktok-twitter-social-media-gen-z-millennials-1510835

Subject: Re: Gen Z's anti-Millennial backlash - 2010s officially uncool?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 05/24/21 at 11:28 am

"Gen Z and millennials are at war with each other on social media after a TikTok user asked boomers to stop saying the younger generations are the same.

The video that kicked off an inter-generational social media battle was made by TikTok user mayalepa, who said: "Tired of boomers bunching gen z and millennials together? Because personally I don't want to be associated with people who still think that Harry Potter movies are a personality trait."

Then, Twitter user @local__celeb shared screenshots of the comment section of the video and said in a viral tweet: "I'm awake at 3 am and I just want everyone to know what gen z says about millennials on TikTok..."

Some of the comments mocked millennials' love of Harry Potter with one TikTok user saying: "They be 34 talking about 'I'm a Hufflepuff' like grow up and do a line of coke already" and another saying "Millennials will attack you if you disrespect their Harry Potter house."

Gen Z, also known as Zoomers, is also making fun of millennials and Buzzfeed quizzes with comments including "or that Buzzfeed knows their favorite wine" and "What Taylor Swift song are you based on your Starbucks order."

Another characteristic of millennial culture, as declared by Gen Z, is embarrassing slogan T-shirts, which make up part of the comment section too: "They think shirts that say 'I'm fluent I'm sarcasm' is peak comedy" and "they're the reason forever 21 had shirts that said 'IT'S FINALLY FRY-YAY' and 'rosé all day' for so long."

TikTok user @mayalepa said her video was inspired by a post from @wholesam, who made fun of the 2012 mustache trend, millennials' love of coffee and Starbucks, and the phrase "adulting."

Following the viral tweet, millennials and Gen Z joined in on Twitter, each making fun of the other generation.

In response to millennials taking offense at the TikTok video, one Twitter user said: "gen z will make a harmless joke about millennials and millennials will legit take that s*** seriously like go read ur damn buzzfeed article and stop beefin with teenagers online u old b******."

Another said: "i thought millennials would've learned from boomers' toothless avocado jokes but everyone's upset about gen z accurately roasting them?? & now we've got adult millennials trying to lash back out at 14 years olds via twitter lol. let them razz you for having a harry potter tumblr."

The definition of millennials and Gen Z varies, with some sources claiming millennials are born between 1986 and 2000 and others suggesting that people born as early as 1993 are defined as Gen Z.

Millennials, also known as Generation Y, are typically defined by working in the gig economy, living at home with their parents for longer, and starting families later than previous generations.

Generation Z is known for being tech-savvy, having grown up with social media, and for being activists, like the School Strike for Climate inspired by Greta Thunberg, in which teenagers skipped school once a week to campaign for leaders to fight against global warming."

Written By: CarCar on 05/24/21 at 11:54 am

https://www.newsweek.com/tiktok-twitter-social-media-gen-z-millennials-1510835

Well the year 2010 is officially cheesy to them then

Written By: NightmareFarm on 05/24/21 at 2:30 pm

Zoomers do the same ship

Written By: aja675 on 05/26/21 at 5:13 am

This reminds me of the gelled hair banter I get from early '00s babies.  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/26/21 at 10:30 am

Things from the 2010's I find uncool:

- "Lamebook" and having to share every single thing about your life
- Twitter (same reason as above)
- iPhones and the lame phrase "there's an app for that" and those random apps like lightsaber and the one that makes your mouth look different
- SJW culture

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/26/21 at 10:40 am

Things from the 2010's I find uncool:

- "Lamebook" and having to share every single thing about your life
- Twitter (same reason as above)
- iPhones and the lame phrase "there's an app for that" and those random apps like lightsaber and the one that makes your mouth look different
- SJW culture

But none of those are gone, except maybe the silly apps. If anything SJW culture (though it may not be called that) has intensified and broadened.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/27/21 at 1:59 am

There's even a word for the unhip 2010's and that word is "cheugy." I've always just done my own thing and don't check off too many of the cheugy criteria.

-Find Rose wine disagreeable.
-Don't wear leggings with Uggs
-Don't even own Uggs
-Don't own cheesy decor with cheesy sayings
-Own more than just skinny jeans for pants
-Know that Starbucks is not the top coffee shop
-Left the 2000's fandoms in the 2000's

Pretty safe to say I'm not a stereotypical basic Millennial. But I'm not wearing mom jeans.

Check for new replies or respond here...