inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charlie Bit My Finger video to be taken off YouTube after selling for £500,000

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/21 at 6:25 am

As one of the original viral videos, the Charlie Bit My Finger clip is a little piece of internet history.

But now the much-loved clip of baby Charlie gnawing on his brother Harry's finger will be taken off YouTube after it was sold for $760,999 (£538,000).

The Davies-Carr family auctioned the clip as an NFT, a non-fungible token.

Bids came into their auction page throughout the weekend, but the price dramatically increased in its final hours on Sunday.

The bidding battle was between two anonymous accounts.

"3fmusic" eventually outbid "mememaster" for the video, which has been watched more than 880 million times since it was put on YouTube in 2007.

The clip had been due to be removed from the video sharing platform on 23 May, following the auction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57227290

Subject: Re: Charlie Bit My Finger video to be taken off YouTube after selling for £500,000

Written By: Ripley on 05/25/21 at 2:54 pm

Okay I know that this new NFT thing may benefit the original video posters but, it’s kind of sad in a way. There’s a good chance we as viewers we’ll never get to see it again. The same can be said for people who delete their videos and/or account. While others could have potentially re-uploaded or downloaded them, how long til they’re gone for good? This is NOT a rant lol. I’m just super nostalgic for these old videos and it’s sad to see them go.

Subject: Re: Charlie Bit My Finger video to be taken off YouTube after selling for £500,000

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/25/21 at 10:09 pm

When are people going to realize (or accept) that NFTs harm the environment? This trend needs to stop for the sake of our planet.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/21 at 6:27 am

As one of the original viral videos, the Charlie Bit My Finger clip is a little piece of internet history.

But now the much-loved clip of baby Charlie gnawing on his brother Harry's finger will be taken off YouTube after it was sold for $760,999 (£538,000).

The Davies-Carr family auctioned the clip as an NFT, a non-fungible token.

Bids came into their auction page throughout the weekend, but the price dramatically increased in its final hours on Sunday.

The bidding battle was between two anonymous accounts.

"3fmusic" eventually outbid "mememaster" for the video, which has been watched more than 880 million times since it was put on YouTube in 2007.

The clip had been due to be removed from the video sharing platform on 23 May, following the auction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57227290

That was dumb to even sell the video, I'd keep the video and then take the money for myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...