inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How To Find Out If You're a Geriatric Millennial

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/28/21 at 8:38 am

A new micro-gen term just dropped but many of those categorized in it are pissed:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7eda9/are-you-a-geriatric-millennial

Excerpts:
(by the way, notice that somebody already trademarked the term "original millennials").

Now though, the older millennials born in the early 1980s have been triggered all over again, thanks to a new term defining this micro generation: “geriatric millennials”.

The term gained popularity online from a Medium piece by author and teamwork expert Erica Dhawan. Here, she argued that geriatric millennials are the best to lead hybrid workforces, thanks to their expertise in both digital and analog communication.

While Dhawan — a geriatric millennial herself — only wrote positively about those born between 1980 and 1985, the internet wasn’t quite pleased with being equated with a word full of medical and elderly connotations.

Famous geriatric millennials include Beyoncé (born in 1981), Seth Rogen (1982) and Mark Zuckerberg (1984). Previously, this generation was also known as the “Cuspers” or “Xennials” because of their age proximity to Gen X.

After the article went viral, Medium conducted a poll on Twitter asking users to vote for an alternative term. “Original Millennial™” got the most votes followed by “Seasoned Millennials”, “Millennial Emeritus”, and “Preeminent Millennials”.

Subject: Re: How To Find Out If You're a Geriatric Millennial

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/21 at 11:07 am

A new micro-gen term just dropped but many of those categorized in it are pissed:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7eda9/are-you-a-geriatric-millennial

Excerpts:
(by the way, notice that somebody already trademarked the term "original millennials").

Now though, the older millennials born in the early 1980s have been triggered all over again, thanks to a new term defining this micro generation: “geriatric millennials”.

The term gained popularity online from a Medium piece by author and teamwork expert Erica Dhawan. Here, she argued that geriatric millennials are the best to lead hybrid workforces, thanks to their expertise in both digital and analog communication.

While Dhawan — a geriatric millennial herself — only wrote positively about those born between 1980 and 1985, the internet wasn’t quite pleased with being equated with a word full of medical and elderly connotations.

Famous geriatric millennials include Beyoncé (born in 1981), Seth Rogen (1982) and Mark Zuckerberg (1984). Previously, this generation was also known as the “Cuspers” or “Xennials” because of their age proximity to Gen X.

After the article went viral, Medium conducted a poll on Twitter asking users to vote for an alternative term. “Original Millennial™” got the most votes followed by “Seasoned Millennials”, “Millennial Emeritus”, and “Preeminent Millennials”.

I just finally figured out what "Xennials" means, now they're dropping this garbage on us too?  Enough already!  >:(

Written By: exodus08 on 05/28/21 at 1:39 pm

Early 80s babies are always trying to start a new Micro Generation while those of us born in the Early 90s just accept that we're Millennials.

Written By: Emman on 05/29/21 at 3:13 pm

I remember when we were called Gen Y backed in the late '90s and 2000s, we were just seen as an extension of Gen X back then, with all those wild, rebellious teenagers on the Jerry Springer show and all the school shootings.

Then around 2010 the name Millennial kind of stuck and the image changed, now it meant being a special little snowflake.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/29/21 at 10:11 pm

I just finally figured out what "Xennials" means, now they're dropping this garbage on us too?  Enough already!  >:(

Seriously. Geriatric Millennial is such a stupid term. I can't believe people are actually entertaining this.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/21 at 11:51 am

Early 80s babies are always trying to start a new Micro Generation while those of us born in the Early 90s just accept that we're Millennials.

I only call myself millennial because that's what the media labels me as. I don't really relate to the growing experience of most people born before 1990 or so tbh. I've been on the Internet since I was 4, carried a laptop everyday to school at 12, made my Twitter account at 15, and got my first smartphone at 17. I'm a through and through digital native.

And like @Emman said, Generation Y around the year 2000 had the reputation of being rebellious, drugs, teenage pregnancy, school shootings etc. and that was my impression of teenage behaviour when I was a kid too, and I dreaded becoming a teenager. But by the time I was a teenager in 2010, being cool was all about being geeky/alternative/indie "snowflake". Environmental consciousness was a big thing and you couldn't call anyone a "gay retard" anymore. Teenage pregnancy, drug abuse rates all bottomed out, and in 2014 during my early 20s the violent crime and homicide rates hit their lowest since the 1950s. We were the best behaved generation on record. I was celebrated for being able to play Japanese video games, getting good grades, being part of the Math club, when even 5 years prior that would have put me at the very bottom of the social ladder.

And as an adult, I only minimally relate to their experience. I graduated into the late 2010s economic boom rather than the late 2000s recession. In fact, I got a job before I even graduated.

Yes I know saying I'm not a millennial and thinking myself as special is the most millennial thing ever but I feel like the only reason this label exists is because the grand daddy of Generationology (Strauss), before I was even born, decided 1982-2004 was going to be the "millennial generation". Those latter years had to be chopped off, but that just proves how dumb the original theory was. These generations don't exist and are not based on anything real. It is literally the same logic behind astrology, and the only reason we're talking about it is because astrology is 100% BS compared to generationology's 98% BS. 

Boomers and early Gen X aren't even based on personality traits, it was based on birth rates, but people made up the personality traits post-hoc. Bernie Sanders born 1941 is more of a hippie than anyone born after 1955 could ever be, yet he is a "silent generation" relating to people who were teenagers during the Depression. Someone make it make sense. ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/30/21 at 12:42 pm

Yes I know saying I'm not a millennial and thinking myself as special is the most millennial thing ever

;D  ;D    ;D

Boomers and early Gen X aren't even based on personality traits, it was based on birth rates, but people made up the personality traits post-hoc.

Basically correct. The Baby Boom (later known as "Boomers") Generation was the first quantified, measurable generation. The ONLY qualification (qualified) you had to have to be a "boomer" was to be born between the years of 1946 to 1964 (and 1964 is pushing it a bit, if you ask me) when there was a LITERAL "baby boom", post WW2. There were no "personality traits" involved. "Boomers" are/were everything from spaced out hippies to gung-ho soldiers.  Deeply creative artists to buttoned up businessmen. So much time has passed now that people seem to have a blurry image of what a "Boomer" really is. People seem to think it's anybody "old" (and, by extension, to blame for everything bad that came before) and that it's all one thing. I still can't believe that somebody once posted here somewhere that the Boomers were terrible because "they sent all those young men to die in Vietnam". I almost fell off my chair! Is THAT how blurry things have gotten?  The Boomers were the ones sent to the slaughter by the so-called "greatest generation". We lost (approx)  58,318 American Boomers in Vietnam, average age 19 years old. Maybe that gives people a little perspective.

The only thing for CERTAIN is that us Boomers had the greatest music. Case closed, I will not argue the point.  ;D  8)  ;D  8)

Written By: Elor on 05/30/21 at 1:30 pm

We lost (approx) 300,000 American Boomers in Vietnam, average age 19 years old. Maybe that gives people a little perspective.

According to Wikipedia it was actually "only" 58,318 (of which 47,334 in combat).
There were however about 300.000 wounded.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/30/21 at 1:36 pm

According to Wikipedia it was actually "only" 58,318 (of which 47,334 in combat).
There were however about 300.000 wounded.

Correct. I made a typo. I strongly suspect however, as do many, that it was higher than the 58, 318 figure, and remember, no official body count was ever filed.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/21 at 2:12 pm

What's so "geriatric" about being a millennial? ???

Written By: CarCar on 05/30/21 at 6:21 pm

I only call myself millennial because that's what the media labels me as. I don't really relate to the growing experience of most people born before 1990 or so tbh. I've been on the Internet since I was 4, carried a laptop everyday to school at 12, made my Twitter account at 15, and got my first smartphone at 17. I'm a through and through digital native.

And like @Emman said, Generation Y around the year 2000 had the reputation of being rebellious, drugs, teenage pregnancy, school shootings etc. and that was my impression of teenage behaviour when I was a kid too, and I dreaded becoming a teenager. But by the time I was a teenager in 2010, being cool was all about being geeky/alternative/indie "snowflake". Environmental consciousness was a big thing and you couldn't call anyone a "gay retard" anymore. Teenage pregnancy, drug abuse rates all bottomed out, and in 2014 during my early 20s the violent crime and homicide rates hit their lowest since the 1950s. We were the best behaved generation on record. I was celebrated for being able to play Japanese video games, getting good grades, being part of the Math club, when even 5 years prior that would have put me at the very bottom of the social ladder.

And as an adult, I only minimally relate to their experience. I graduated into the late 2010s economic boom rather than the late 2000s recession. In fact, I got a job before I even graduated.

Yes I know saying I'm not a millennial and thinking myself as special is the most millennial thing ever but I feel like the only reason this label exists is because the grand daddy of Generationology (Strauss), before I was even born, decided 1982-2004 was going to be the "millennial generation". Those latter years had to be chopped off, but that just proves how dumb the original theory was. These generations don't exist and are not based on anything real. It is literally the same logic behind astrology, and the only reason we're talking about it is because astrology is 100% BS compared to generationology's 98% BS. 

Boomers and early Gen X aren't even based on personality traits, it was based on birth rates, but people made up the personality traits post-hoc. Bernie Sanders born 1941 is more of a hippie than anyone born after 1955 could ever be, yet he is a "silent generation" relating to people who were teenagers during the Depression. Someone make it make sense. ;D

Bernie was in his 20s at the height of the whole Hippie sub culture phase while people born 1960-1964 are labeled actual Boomers LMAO

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/30/21 at 7:04 pm

Bernie was in his 20s at the height of the whole Hippie sub culture phase while people born 1960-1964 are labeled actual Boomers LMAO

It sounds to me like you're bringing "personality traits" or "cultural traits" into it. We have already established (see my previous post) that the ONLY qualification to be a Boomer is to be born between the years 1946-1964. The ONLY qualification.  Those are the post WW2 years when the physical "boom" of births took place. They tapered off after that. So it doesn't matter if somebody was a hippie or a baby, they were Boomers. Boomers can be QUALIFIED as being born during the parameters of a very specific period of time when there was a boom of babies. It's pretty iron clad. No other generation can be qualified so specifically, so people tend to go by their so-called personality traits.

People will forever identify Boomers as "hippies", but technically Boomers are ANYONE born between 1946-1964, however they act.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/21 at 8:05 pm

People will forever identify Boomers as "hippies", but technically Boomers are ANYONE born between 1946-1964, however they act.

Some of us "late Boomers" were too young to be hippies (though I do recall around age 10 I aspired to be a hippie, since they were cool).

Written By: CarCar on 05/30/21 at 9:48 pm

It sounds to me like you're bringing "personality traits" or "cultural traits" into it. We have already established (see my previous post) that the ONLY qualification to be a Boomer is to be born between the years 1946-1964. The ONLY qualification.  Those are the post WW2 years when the physical "boom" of births took place. They tapered off after that. So it doesn't matter if somebody was a hippie or a baby, they were Boomers. Boomers can be QUALIFIED as being born during the parameters of a very specific period of time when there was a boom of babies. It's pretty iron clad. No other generation can be qualified so specifically, so people tend to go by their so-called personality traits.

That’s not what I meant, I just meant it’s ironic that Boomers are labeled as the hippie generation while some actual Boomers weren’t even born yet for it.

I already knew that so please save me a lecture

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/30/21 at 9:53 pm

That’s not what I meant, I just meant it’s ironic that Boomers are labeled as the hippie generation while some actual Boomers weren’t even born yet for it.

Basically correct. And another thing to keep in mind is that many of the greatest heroes of the Boomer Generation technically pre-date it. For example, John Lennon was born in 1940. Bob Dylan, who turned 80 last Monday, was born in 1941. Yet the cultural 60s are inconceivable without them. Though it works both ways. They are inconceivable without the 60s.

Written By: Ripley on 06/01/21 at 12:14 pm

I remember when we were called Gen Y backed in the late '90s and 2000s, we were just seen as an extension of Gen X back then, with all those wild, rebellious teenagers on the Jerry Springer show and all the school shootings.

Then around 2010 the name Millennial kind of stuck and the image changed, now it meant being a special little snowflake.
Yes! I actually call myself Gen x-y as  I fit in both with x and y. I was born in ‘85 btw.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/01/21 at 12:15 pm

Yes! I actually call myself Gen x-y as  I fit in both with x and y. I was born in ‘85 btw.

You are generation fluid.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 1:46 pm

I am Generation X.

Written By: karen on 06/01/21 at 2:09 pm

I am Generation X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6TSe1Gqfo

Written By: Ripley on 06/01/21 at 2:32 pm

You are generation fluid.  ;D

I guess lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/21 at 2:33 pm

People try to put me down, talking about my generation.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/01/21 at 2:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6TSe1Gqfo

And to add to the confusion, Generation X are a Boomer band. (Billy Idol born 1955). I remember them from the late 70s when they had that song about watching Ready, Steady Go and loving "the Beatles, Stones and Bobby Dylan".

Check for new replies or respond here...