inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s Nostalgia is Here

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/21 at 1:11 am

I feel the 2000s in the air. Radio stations are playing hits from 2002 now. Pastel colours are very reminiscent of Y2K. It's not all 2000s though, there's some '80s in there with the aesthetic. Still, it's nice to see my childhood making a comeback.

Subject: Re: 2000s Nostalgia is Here

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/07/21 at 3:15 am

I've noticed the radio has been playing a crapload of 2000s songs recently. Smart since Zoomers are coming of age and getting very nostalgic for that time period atm.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/21 at 6:44 am

I've noticed the radio has been playing a crapload of 2000s songs recently. Smart since Zoomers are coming of age and getting very nostalgic for that time period atm.

My radio station that I've been listening to has been playing some 2000's songs sometimes, it used to be an "oldies" station but I guess they're trying to move away from much of the nostalgia.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/07/21 at 6:48 am

My radio station that I've been listening to has been playing some 2000's songs sometimes, it used to be an "oldies" station but I guess they're trying to move away from much of the nostalgia.

Maybe they're trying to bring in the younger crowd.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/21 at 1:09 pm

But why would Zoomers who are becoming of age be nostalgic when they weren't even alive while the 2000s were going on?  ??? At least not in the early 2000s, which is what the radio is playing now (songs like Complicated by Avril Lavigne and other songs from that era).

Written By: Howard on 06/07/21 at 1:22 pm

Maybe they're trying to bring in the younger crowd.

It's a station called WCBS-FM 101.1 here in New York and they used to play a whole variety of "oldies" music till they started playing some 90's and a bit of 00's, that's when I couldn't stand listening to them that much anymore, they must've changed their format years ago to appeal to a younger crowd.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/21 at 1:23 pm

There's also the whole early 00s punk vibe in the air. And Olivia Rodrigo's song good for u sounds just like Skater Boi.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/07/21 at 1:32 pm

But why would Zoomers who are becoming of age be nostalgic when they weren't even alive while the 2000s were going on?  ??? At least not in the early 2000s, which is what the radio is playing now (songs like Complicated by Avril Lavigne and other songs from that era).

It's the new thing. People are "nostalgic" (in it's new definition, as used on this site) for times they weren't around in. This was unheard of in my youth. I think it all started with hipsters, when they were around. I remember at the time reading a definition of hipster as "being nostalgic for things they did not experience in the first place", which is kind of an oxymoron, but, like I said, it's the new definition. The thing with hipsters though, is that they viewed all this nostalgia through an "ironic" lens, which strikes me as a sad way to live life. Like "ironic glasses". How sad to wear something you think it is ironically satirical instead of something you genuinely and sincerely like. But it seems to have progressed from there into this mutated "nostalgia" as we know it now. No longer, it seems, does one have to have been there in the first place to be "nostalgic" for it. One simply picks and choses. That's progress for you.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/07/21 at 1:35 pm

There are 2 major 2000s revivals I see right now:

*Y2k fashion: a revival of women's fashion from the early/mid 2000s

*Y2k aesthetics: art inspired by the futuristic graphics from the turn of the century (stuff like this)

https://i--d--images-vice-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/i-d-images.vice.com/images/2016/06/06/the-a-z-of-y2k-body-image-1465206090.jpg?crop=1xw%3A0.5625xh%3Bcenter%2Ccenter&resize=2000%3A*

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/21 at 1:42 pm

Yes and the new IMacs with all the colour options to choose from is very reminiscent to Y2K (2000s) as well.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/07/21 at 1:52 pm

Pen15 is a new drama set in the year 2000. It's fashion style is very accurate for time and probably disappointing to Zoomers who think the 2000s looked like this

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/65/f3/b0/65f3b0bfaa3037219d7a9edf084f5662.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/21 at 1:59 pm

It's crazy to think how we as kids in the 2000s viewed the unique '80s aesthetic is the same as how kids today view this unique 2000s aesthetic. But the nostalgia isny yet near that level I guess, maybe it will never be to the same xtent.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/07/21 at 4:07 pm

I've heard them play mid/late 00s more than early.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/07/21 at 4:21 pm

I've heard them play mid/late 00s more than early.

early/mid 00s pop is the popular chocie for stations but I've been hearing more mid/late 00s rap on the radio from Rich Boy, Young Dro, Rick Ross, 50 Cent and Kanye so far

Written By: kr37 on 06/08/21 at 10:42 am

This website is perfect for 2000s nostalgia because it's called inthe00s.com! :D ;D
I'm looking forward to more 2000s nostalgia because it's the first decade I remember.

Written By: CarCar on 06/08/21 at 1:05 pm

It's crazy to think how we as kids in the 2000s viewed the unique '80s aesthetic is the same as how kids today view this unique 2000s aesthetic. But the nostalgia isny yet near that level I guess, maybe it will never be to the same xtent.

I’ve noticed a lot of zoomers especially on the younger end have parents born in the 80s who were in they’re teens and 20s during that time. Similar to us 2000s kids who had parents who were in  they’re teens in the 80s and always played 80s music in the house and made us fall in love with it. I guess the same will happen with them over time when they think of 2000s music. The music of they’re parents, and it will have some sort of sentimental value.

The difference is many of our parents are much older and reaching retirement age while they’re parents are much younger and honestly closer in age to us. Probably why we fail to see it the way they do

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/21 at 3:56 pm

I’ve noticed a lot of zoomers especially on the younger end have parents born in the 80s who were in they’re teens and 20s during that time. Similar to us 2000s kids who had parents who were in  they’re teens in the 80s and always played 80s music in the house and made us fall in love with it. I guess the same will happen with them over time when they think of 2000s music. The music of they’re parents, and it will have some sort of sentimental value.

The difference is many of our parents are much older and reaching retirement age while they’re parents are much younger and honestly closer in age to us. Probably why we fail to see it the way they do

I think also because of the internet and less changes in the same timespan.

Written By: CarCar on 06/08/21 at 4:16 pm

I think also because of the internet and less changes in the same timespan.

True it does make everything much more accessible even to decades prior to the 80s. Although I haven’t seen that much nostalgia in current music for decades prior to the 80s either

I mean how many changes people close in our age assuming you were born in 95 ? Have you seen that someone born in let’s say 2020 will not see. If they have a similar mindset as you do seeing minimal changes from 2020 and forth from 2000-2020.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/21 at 4:17 pm

True it does make everything much more accessible even to decades prior to the 80s. Although I haven’t seen that much nostalgia in current music for decades prior to the 80s either

I mean how many changes people close in our age assuming you were born in 95 ? Have you seen that someone born in let’s say 2020 will not.

Someone born 10 years younger than me witnessed way more changes though.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/08/21 at 4:32 pm

That highlights another difference from us Boomers. Growing up in the 60s and the 70s we rejected the pre-60s music of our parents. There was so much that was incredibly new and groundbreaking and amazing that we had of our own. So much that was "mind blowing", as we used to say.:)  It seemed that every single day there was some brilliant new song and album. Every single day! :D

Written By: CarCar on 06/08/21 at 7:38 pm

That highlights another difference from us Boomers. Growing up in the 60s and the 70s we rejected the pre-60s music of our parents. There was so much that was incredibly new and groundbreaking and amazing that we had of our own. So much that was "mind blowing", as we used to say.:)  It seemed that every single day there was some brilliant new song and album. Every single day! :D

Which is funny because all 60s songs sound the same and 70s songs sound the same aswell. They have a distinct sounds from today

Written By: CarCar on 06/08/21 at 7:39 pm

Someone born 10 years younger than me witnessed way more changes though.

What do you mean someone born 10 years younger then you witnessed more changes if you were born first ?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/21 at 8:21 pm

What do you mean someone born 10 years younger then you witnessed more changes if you were born first ?

I meant older, sorry. Someone born 10 years earlier witnessed more changes since the '90s were more changeful.

Written By: CarCar on 06/08/21 at 9:03 pm

I meant older, sorry. Someone born 10 years earlier witnessed more changes since the '90s were more changeful.

Right to ur e talking in relation to somebody older then you but what i mean is somebody hypothetical 20 or 10 years you get them you. For them the world has always been this way but not for since you saw all these changes happen with your own eyes and remember a time before them.

The difference between someone born in 1995 and 2005 is one remembers a pre-smartphone dominant world while the other doesn’t. For someone born in 2005 that’s a pretty big leap in experience but not for you since you know that there’s people who came before you experienced shifts in time and too you this is nothings

Like in a another hypothetical situation you’re 45 years old talking to your 25/15 year old kids about you’re childhood and youth and they’re in awe that you lived through so many time periods they only know through history books but for you it just feels like another day since you have pretty clear picture of those events.

Since according to you we have already reached a point in society that there is no innovation left to reach that when we’re in 2040 the 2010s will seem more changeful then in the future

Check for new replies or respond here...