inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will 2022 Mark The Beginning of Mid 2020s Culture?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/21 at 4:03 pm

With the pandemic dying down in 2021, do you believe the mid 2020s will start earlier and we will start to see mid 2020s culture arise in 2022?

Subject: Re: Will 2022 Mark The Beginning of Mid 2020s Culture?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/10/21 at 4:21 pm

Assuming the covid situation ends in '22, you could mark that as the beginning of the mid 20s but I don't think anything pop culturally will change besides gaming since next gen will start becoming the norm then and the supply issue with PS5s should be gone that year. I don't see music going anywhere soon as it's been stagnant for a while with no signs of change. Same goes for fashion, internet culture and such. Or maybe masks will become an ironic fashion statement or something who knows.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/21 at 4:28 pm

With the pandemic dying down in 2021, do you believe the mid 2020s will start earlier and we will start to see mid 2020s culture arise in 2022?
The pandemic is still ripe out there, take note in the UK, in the last seven days, there have been 44,008 new positive coronavirus tests in the UK. That's a rise of 17,036 - or 63.2% - from the previous week.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/21 at 5:50 pm

The pandemic is still ripe out there, take note in the UK, in the last seven days, there have been 44,008 new positive coronavirus tests in the UK. That's a rise of 17,036 - or 63.2% - from the previous week.

Yeah I know. But I think at least by late 2022 the pandemic will be old news at least I hope.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/21 at 5:50 pm

Assuming the covid situation ends in '22, you could mark that as the beginning of the mid 20s but I don't think anything pop culturally will change besides gaming since next gen will start becoming the norm then and the supply issue with PS5s should be gone that year. I don't see music going anywhere soon as it's been stagnant for a while with no signs of change. Same goes for fashion, internet culture and such. Or maybe masks will become an ironic fashion statement or something who knows.

I really hope it ends by then.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/21 at 7:08 am

Yeah I know. But I think at least by late 2022 the pandemic will be old news at least I hope.

I really hope so, they're must be something to talk about besides the pandemic, that's all I've been hearing on the news lately.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/21 at 7:38 am

I'm actually hoping that 2021 would be the start of the (numerically wouldn't be mid so early) 2020's culture. 2020 would be cut off and isolated so it would be neither 2010's nor 2020's culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/21 at 10:56 am

I'm actually hoping that 2021 would be the start of the (numerically wouldn't be mid so early) 2020's culture. 2020 would be cut off and isolated so it would be neither 2010's nor 2020's culture.

Since when? You always agreed with me 2020 and the pandemic was the early 2020s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/21 at 11:44 am

Since when? You always agreed with me 2020 and the pandemic was the early 2020s.

Yes, I'm not one that thinks 2020 was late 2010's culturally, but at the same time I like to think that 2021 isn't a continuation of 2020. With the vaccination and case numbers dropping, it seems like the pandemic is about to be behind us for good. Now you have mentioned some long term effects caused by pandemic which might be around for awhile which I can see, like with the rising crime rates in the US cities. But the economy has recovered and unemployment is back to near pre-pandemic levels. Overall the vibe of 2021 is much more positive and back to normal. Of course earlier it was hard to see how this year was going to play out but now we're almost halfway through it.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/13/21 at 12:08 pm

But the economy has recovered and unemployment is back to near pre-pandemic levels.

It has? Got a source for this?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/21 at 1:57 pm

Yeah I would have to disagree BatFan. Maybe in the southern states there is some normality there. But here in Canada there is a new Delta-9 variant making constant headlines. There are no signs of it going away despite the lower Covid cases. You will still see a ton of people with masks on this year and maybe even next year. The economy hasn't recovered even if it is improving from 2020 levels but nowhere near pre-pandemic levels. Covid-19 is totally early 2020s and I would not say it is a separate era like Y2K. Unless by fall of this year it really will be old news which I highly doubt and people said the same thing last year.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/21 at 1:32 pm

I think so after the discussion of the pandemic is gone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/14/21 at 6:14 pm

Yeah I would have to disagree BatFan. Maybe in the southern states there is some normality there. But here in Canada there is a new Delta-9 variant making constant headlines. There are no signs of it going away despite the lower Covid cases. You will still see a ton of people with masks on this year and maybe even next year. The economy hasn't recovered even if it is improving from 2020 levels but nowhere near pre-pandemic levels. Covid-19 is totally early 2020s and I would not say it is a separate era like Y2K. Unless by fall of this year it really will be old news which I highly doubt and people said the same thing last year.

I live in Georgia so that's why I feel that way. Hardly anyone wears a mask anymore, and I rarely wear one unless I'm going to a crowded place or the business has a policy. OK, as for the economy maybe not that close to pre-pandemic but unemployment is in the single digits and definitely much lower than 2020. Only restaurants are struggling to bring workers back or hire new ones since the unemployment pay is higher than the wages for a difficult job.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/14/21 at 6:24 pm

I live in Georgia so that's why I feel that way. Hardly anyone wears a mask anymore, and I rarely wear one unless I'm going to a crowded place or the business has a policy. OK, as for the economy maybe not that close to pre-pandemic but unemployment is in the single digits and definitely much lower than 2020. Only restaurants are struggling to bring workers back or hire new ones since the unemployment pay is higher than the wages for a difficult job.

That makes sense. You are lucky. Canada is apperently one of the world leaders now for vaccine adoption and yet we still have restrictions in place like there's no tomorrow. Masks, social distancing, etc are still in effect everywhere.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/16/21 at 8:20 pm

I may have spoken too soon about the vibe of 2021 being different or even better than 2020. In addition to skyrocketing crime rates, there's a lot of behavior that are psychological impacts from the pandemic as we are reopening and trying to readjust to normal life, such as unruly passengers on airlines causing flights to divert. Also spectators in sporting events throwing objects at the athletes.

Written By: passthegabagool on 06/18/21 at 6:16 pm

2022 will probably be the definitive Early 2020s year, if not this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/21 at 6:18 pm

2022 will probably be the definitive Early 2020s year, if not this year.

2020 has already won the title for most definitive early 2020s year. 2022 will begin the mid 2020s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/21 at 4:15 pm

Seeing that 2022 is six months and some change away, I'm bracing for it to be a continuation of Early 2020's culture if not worse. Issues like rising crime rates, craziness, mental disorders, drugs, and general rude and antisocial behavior will continue to rise as people start to reintegrate.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/21 at 5:37 pm

Seeing that 2022 is six months and some change away, I'm bracing for it to be a continuation of Early 2020's culture if not worse. Issues like rising crime rates, craziness, mental disorders, drugs, and general rude and antisocial behavior will continue to rise as people start to reintegrate.

It is easy to agree with this without being one of the "the word is ending, everything is bad" people. What this boils down to is a basic LACK OF DECORUM among people that his been a trend for some time BEFORE the pandemic. The pandemic may have worsened it, but it was already trending. People always act now like they are in their own private bedrooms. People talk and yell loudly on cell phones about highly personal matters (almost always nasty) in the midst of other people. In urban areas on public transportation I have witnessed people clipping their toenails, flossing their teeth (and throwing the floss on the ground), eating pungent food. I have seen women on public transportation apply full faces of makeup with elaborate makeup kits. Isn't this something that should be done at home with one's other ablutions? People always act now like their every immediate little insignificant need takes precedence over the greater good. This is why the whole mask thing was such a big deal. People talking about how their "freedoms" are being taken away. I mean, seriously. Do your "freedoms" really include eating a full course meal on a crowded city subway train surrounded by people?  Or putting on an elaborate face of makeup or cutting your toenails on that same train? Well, I suppose your "freedoms" DO include these things, and there is nothing inherently WRONG with doing these things, but it would still probably be better, or at least more dignified,  and more considerate of your fellow human, to do it someplace more private.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/21 at 7:26 am

Crime will go up, shootings and stabbings will continue and lunatics will continue to punch random people for no apparent reason.

Check for new replies or respond here...