inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Positives of the Pandemic

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/21 at 3:23 pm

This thread may be a shocker coming from me. But I thought I would list some positives that came out of the pandemic :

- Very acceptable and common place to work from home. Before the pandemic, working from home was considered a luxury. Now it is common and standard

- Outdoor dining. You only saw outdoor dining in European cities. Now it is everywhere in Canada so Canadian cities (and American cities I would assume) look a little more European with the culture of outdoor dining being mainstream. It would be nice for this to continue after the pandemic as a nice choice since it is nice and enjoyable in warm weather

- Since many people are jobless, they do have more time on their hands to work on creative projects (this one is a bit of a stretch though)

Subject: Re: Positives of the Pandemic

Written By: Howard on 06/12/21 at 1:47 pm

This thread may be a shocker coming from me. But I thought I would list some positives that came out of the pandemic :

- Very acceptable and common place to work from home. Before the pandemic, working from home was considered a luxury. Now it is common and standard

- Outdoor dining. You only saw outdoor dining in European cities. Now it is everywhere in Canada so Canadian cities (and American cities I would assume) look a little more European with the culture of outdoor dining being mainstream. It would be nice for this to continue after the pandemic as a nice choice since it is nice and enjoyable in warm weather

- Since many people are jobless, they do have more time on their hands to work on creative projects (this one is a bit of a stretch though)

How about cutting your own hair?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/21 at 1:49 pm

That's a negative. I still go to the barber even in the pandemic.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/12/21 at 3:00 pm

Definitely the third one you listed. Also, I'm still enjoying the relative solitude. Nobody expects me to meet them, at least, even though I leave the house for groceries.

Written By: nally on 06/12/21 at 3:34 pm

For me: saving wear-and-tear on my car (including gas consumption) by being able to work from home, for the most part.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/21 at 3:57 pm

Working from home, not having to deal with traffic. Not having to be around people.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/21 at 5:16 pm

I’m an “essential worker” (trucking) so I had to go to work every day.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/12/21 at 5:35 pm

Not having to show your face in public

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/12/21 at 5:41 pm

Working from home, not having to deal with traffic. Not having to be around people.

We seem to have a trend of people here who do not want to be around people or show their face in public, if they had their preference. Is this a generational thing or is it just the personal choice of a few people? I bring this up because there was a time this would have been thought of as "anti-social behavior", but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/12/21 at 5:55 pm

We seem to have a trend of people here who do not want to be around people or show their face in public, if they had their preference. Is this a generational thing or is it just the personal choice of a few people? I bring this up because there was a time this would have been thought of as "anti-social behavior", but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

I'm just self conscious about my facial hair

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/12/21 at 6:01 pm

I'm just self conscious about my facial hair

Because you have it or don't have it?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/12/21 at 7:26 pm

Because you have it or don't have it?

I have it and it's ugly and annoying to shave

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/12/21 at 7:43 pm

Like... anti-social in psychological terms? Or just layman's terms? I'd be worried if it was once thought of as anti-social in psychological terms, like I'd hope nobody is held prisoner to this day in a mental hospital because of it, is all I'm getting at.

For me, the reason is that I think if I were to go out more often, seeing more people than I currently do, it would grant the knowledge to me that Emohood has not grown in its members at all recently, leading me to become depressed.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/12/21 at 8:24 pm

I lost over 60 lbs in the past year. I'm certain it never would have happened had the pandemic not disrupted my life.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/12/21 at 8:27 pm

Like... anti-social in psychological terms? Or just layman's terms? I'd be worried if it was once thought of as anti-social in psychological terms, like I'd hope nobody is held prisoner to this day in a mental hospital because of it, is all I'm getting at.

For me, the reason is that I think if I were to go out more often, seeing more people than I currently do, it would grant the knowledge to me that Emohood has not grown in its members at all recently, leading me to become depressed.

Oh, I definitely meant in layman's terms.  Like the person who has no social skills because they have grown up spending all their time dealing with people through social media, etc, and not face to face. Having to interact with people directly can lead to social anxiety. That's why I wondered if it was a generational thing.  As old of a thing as it is now, I STILL can't get over how when I see a group of young people together, or, even worse, two people on a date, all they are doing is looking into their own phones. They aren't actually WITH each other at all.  The clinical definition of anti-social behavior is far more severe.

As for the emo thing, you can't reverse the current of time. It would be like if I let myself be bummed out because music isn't like it was in the 60s and 70s anymore. I'd be glum all the time! All you can do it carry it inside of you and carry on.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/21 at 8:49 pm

I lost over 60 lbs in the past year. I'm certain it never would have happened had the pandemic not disrupted my life.

I think I gained that much since the pandemic happened. All the gyms are closed now.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/12/21 at 9:04 pm

As for the emo thing, you can't reverse the current of time. It would be like if I let myself be bummed out because music isn't like it was in the 60s and 70s anymore. I'd be glum all the time! All you can do it carry it inside of you and carry on.

It wouldn't be so bad for me if I were straight. Maybe. I may be telling you something you already know, but when you can't even find someone desirable enough to lose your virginity to, let alone have anything long-term with them, it really screws with you, psychologically.

I've almost gotten framed by the po-po before, and even if it's true that other prisoners don't turn to newcomers to get their fix, with female guards available in many facilities, I figure some white is going to want to r4pe me anyway. JUST for the sake of it, to see what they can get away with. That's been the general pattern my life has fallen into.

I know all about being glum all the time because that's pretty much what 2017-19 were about for me.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/21 at 6:47 am

That's a negative. I still go to the barber even in the pandemic.

I had to wait till my barber opened up for business.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/21 at 6:48 am

Definitely the third one you listed. Also, I'm still enjoying the relative solitude. Nobody expects me to meet them, at least, even though I leave the house for groceries.

It's pretty quiet in my neighborhood, nobody comes to see us unless if it's of some importance.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/21 at 6:49 am

And not having to go out either.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/21 at 6:52 am

I think I gained that much since the pandemic happened. All the gyms are closed now.

When do you think they'll be opening up again?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/21 at 7:34 am

It's not generational at all. It's a personality trait as you have introverts and extroverts of all ages. I've just never been a social person, which may be labeled as "anti-social" by some. I also have anxiety so that doesn't help.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/13/21 at 8:20 am

Oh, I definitely meant in layman's terms.  Like the person who has no social skills because they have grown up spending all their time dealing with people through social media, etc, and not face to face. Having to interact with people directly can lead to social anxiety. That's why I wondered if it was a generational thing.  As old of a thing as it is now, I STILL can't get over how when I see a group of young people together, or, even worse, two people on a date, all they are doing is looking into their own phones. They aren't actually WITH each other at all.  The clinical definition of anti-social behavior is far more severe.

I think it’s more “armchair antisocial” for lack of a better term. If you were truly antisocial you wouldn’t be online talking to people all day telling them you are that way. You would just be unplugged except for essentials. The true antisocial people you don’t hear about except through other people.

As time goes on, the world keeps getting crazier. More extremists of all sorts. Everyone has full access to be that way. In the past there were pockets of crazy in the world, now it’s almost everywhere. The result of that is more people choosing to conduct their lives without personal interaction, and now we have to technology to allow that. Covid was just the frosting on the cake and made it the in-thing.

If I was on a date, the phones stay away unless there’s some emergency call, or we are showing each other pictures. If she’s more interested in her Facebook than me then there won’t be a second date. Plenty of time for that when she gets home. I can’t just go out and pick up someone, no skills for that. I have to meet online initially then once theres shared interest, we meet and have plenty to talk about.

I grew up without much for social skills because of being essentially a dwarf kid for medical reasons, in a tiny town (pop 400) where I wouldn’t have initially fit in because I wasn’t Dutch and wasn’t related. Even when I finally grew to normal size and had a chance to be normal, I was already labeled, you can’t just start over with the same people you’ve been with every day for 10 years. Not like there was another clique to join. Our band only had wind instruments which I couldn’t do, if they offered strings I’d have played. Basketball was the only sport offered, no thanks. There were just no options but to be a loner and be happy with my life the way I made it. Which was different than everyone else because I had no incentive to play along with groups and follow trends together. I just did my own thing. Which is exactly what I do to this day.

This forum is the most interaction I have online. No social media accounts or anything else.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/21 at 9:28 am

I think it’s more “armchair antisocial” for lack of a better term. If you were truly antisocial you wouldn’t be online talking to people all day telling them you are that way. You would just be unplugged except for essentials. The true antisocial people you don’t hear about except through other people.

As time goes on, the world keeps getting crazier. More extremists of all sorts. Everyone has full access to be that way. In the past there were pockets of crazy in the world, now it’s almost everywhere. The result of that is more people choosing to conduct their lives without personal interaction, and now we have to technology to allow that. Covid was just the frosting on the cake and made it the in-thing.

If I was on a date, the phones stay away unless there’s some emergency call, or we are showing each other pictures. If she’s more interested in her Facebook than me then there won’t be a second date. Plenty of time for that when she gets home. I can’t just go out and pick up someone, no skills for that. I have to meet online initially then once theres shared interest, we meet and have plenty to talk about.

I grew up without much for social skills because of being essentially a dwarf kid for medical reasons, in a tiny town (pop 400) where I wouldn’t have initially fit in because I wasn’t Dutch and wasn’t related. Even when I finally grew to normal size and had a chance to be normal, I was already labeled, you can’t just start over with the same people you’ve been with every day for 10 years. Not like there was another clique to join. Our band only had wind instruments which I couldn’t do, if they offered strings I’d have played. Basketball was the only sport offered, no thanks. There were just no options but to be a loner and be happy with my life the way I made it. Which was different than everyone else because I had no incentive to play along with groups and follow trends together. I just did my own thing. Which is exactly what I do to this day.

This forum is the most interaction I have online. No social media accounts or anything else.

I finally deactivated my Facebook because I it's become too toxic. Maybe that's why I feel like 2021 is much better. I still have Instagram as I like that much better. I like this site to express my thoughts and opinions, and City-Data (where it's mostly geographical places while this site is for times and pop culture, but also for general discussions similar to Reddit). Only the latter does have more mod censorship and can get as bad as FB sometimes.

Written By: nally on 06/13/21 at 11:44 am

When do you think they'll be opening up again?

It may depend on the region. Various regions have varying positivity rates of covid, with some having fewer cases per day than others. And when such facilities do open, there will be safety protocols in place, I'm sure.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/21 at 1:39 pm

So you like face to face conversations? I agree that if a woman was on her Facebook rather than to be with me, then she doesn't deserve a second date.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/21 at 3:11 pm

I finally deactivated my Facebook because I it's become too toxic. Maybe that's why I feel like 2021 is much better. I still have Instagram as I like that much better. I like this site to express my thoughts and opinions, and City-Data (where it's mostly geographical places while this site is for times and pop culture, but also for general discussions similar to Reddit). Only the latter does have more mod censorship and can get as bad as FB sometimes.

It’s not just Facebook. There are other boards (like InThe00s although we don’t have this problem) where members hurl insults and name calling of fellow board members and others, with impunity.

Sad… makes you wonder how some people were raised.

You do that kind of stuff here and you get banned and a farewell thread (sometimes).

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/13/21 at 8:56 pm

So you like face to face conversations? I agree that if a woman was on her Facebook rather than to be with me, then she doesn't deserve a second date.

Yes, with one person at a time, and with a meaningful or central focus. It can be really great that way. The whole mingle and small talk thing I’m not good at and don’t even like doing.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/21 at 6:56 am

Yes, with one person at a time, and with a meaningful or central focus. It can be really great that way. The whole mingle and small talk thing I’m not good at and don’t even like doing.

That's how I work with people sometimes, one person.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/21 at 4:58 am

With many people out of work, or stuck at home. Many a person has discovered a hidden talent, or even started up an online business.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/21 at 7:22 am

With many people out of work, or stuck at home. Many a person has discovered a hidden talent, or even started up an online business.

Exactly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/21 at 1:06 pm

I am confident to have my haircut by someone who has started cutting hair to cope with the closure of barbers over the pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/21 at 1:40 pm

I am confident to have my haircut by someone who has started cutting hair to cope with the closure of barbers over the pandemic.

Was it someone in your family?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/21 at 1:44 pm

Was it someone in your family?  ???
Yes, I have to admit, one of my family bubble.

Written By: nally on 06/15/21 at 8:30 pm

Exactly.

Yeah... that's certainly noteworthy. O0

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/15/21 at 10:51 pm

If you’re in the market to sell your house, there couldn’t be a better time to get top dollar. House prices were out of reach before the pandemic, now they’re out of sight. Houses sell in hours for well over asking price, that is if they don’t get snapped up before they’re even listed. If I was selling I could easily double my money on this place, but no way I’m letting this place go.

If you’re looking to buy, it’s completely hopeless. It’s not a fair playing field anymore with the work from home acceptance. People with big city incomes can now buy up everything in lower cost rural areas, leaving would-be local workers no choice but to leave. Locals trying to finance can’t do it because banks won’t loan more than the house is appraised for and it also takes time, meanwhile cash bidding wars are happening.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/21 at 4:30 am

For me as soon as I knew that I would have to shield at the start of the pandemic, I restart on the novel I was writing several years back, but had to stop due to lack of inspiration. In the meantime, I has been other work on building up a database?

Written By: Howard on 06/16/21 at 7:03 am

My Family And I started to order in our meals and order from Doordash, Grubhub and other apps that were available.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/21 at 4:08 pm

I was just talking to someone in the office the other day about how we were spoiled during the pandemic/working from home. Not having to wake up early and deal with traffic, and again driving home after a hard day at work, and dealing with people's attitudes and personality. The transition of getting people back in the office hasn't been smooth, and it's about to get worse. My company has always had a toxic culture, and I wouldn't be surprised to have incidents of physical fights. I'm really close to just walking out of the job, and won't be the first time I felt this way, but it's risky with the current job market. This is kind of a stretch but you know it's bad when you look back at 2020 and think it was better and start missing it. While living through 2020 it seemed the only way to go was up from there, but some people might be in for a disappointment.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/21 at 2:00 pm

Ordering in meals from home instead of having to go out and eating in there.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/20/21 at 2:09 pm

Ordering in meals from home instead of having to go out and eating in there.

Yeah but you could've done that before the pandemic as well.

Written By: karen on 06/20/21 at 4:08 pm

My husband is working from home instead of his weekly commute 3 hours north.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/21 at 7:01 am

Zooming with friends and family.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 1:14 pm

Zooming with friends and family.
Not a positive for me, my computer has no microphone.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/21 at 2:17 pm

My Father zooms with friends and family all the time.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/22/21 at 2:47 pm

More of a positive than you think.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 2:59 pm

More of a positive than you think.  ;D  ;D
O0

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/22/21 at 4:37 pm

Gi6yGuvKv_E
Who’s Zooming Who?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/21 at 7:23 am

Gi6yGuvKv_E
Who’s Zooming Who?
"Zoom" by Fat Larry's Band?

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/23/21 at 11:22 am

I would say the pandemic and lockdown made people appreciate little things more, and made some people a bit more health conscious. Maybe even taking up new hobbies, or reconnecting with old friends.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:22 pm

I would say the pandemic and lockdown made people appreciate little things more, and made some people a bit more health conscious. Maybe even taking up new hobbies, or reconnecting with old friends.

People are washing their hands more often, probably more often than usual.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/21 at 3:23 pm

I find that I am communicating with family and friends now.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/23/21 at 3:24 pm

People are washing their hands more often, probably more often than usual.

More than before the pandemic. To me, that's a good thing.

Written By: nally on 06/23/21 at 8:10 pm

I would say the pandemic and lockdown made people appreciate little things more, and made some people a bit more health conscious.

Those are some great points. O0 I for one started to do this.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/21 at 4:47 am

Those are some great points. O0 I for one started to do this.

People are continuing to avoid people's spaces like not getting in their faces a lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...