inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Fake Early 2020s

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 4:03 pm

There was a little 'secret' mini sub era of this decade many people overlooked and forgot about. I like to call it the "fake early 2020s". What do I mean by this? I'm talking about the first two months of 2020 before the pandemic began. I'm actually already nostalgic for this time since it was before masks and social distancing. When Post Malone was on the radio non-stop with his song Circles, when everyone on these boards were so excited and optimistic for this decade, when the wildfires in Australia were going on (not a good thing though), when people were meming the Coronavirus and making jokes about it and not making a big deal of it since they thought there was no way it would spread, when "Covid" didn't exist and it was known as Corona, and when Donald Trump was extremely popular (as the American economy was in amazing shape). I see this intriguing era as the Fake early 2020s since it was before the pandemic began which was when we really realized what the early '20s would be like. I really liked the fake early '20s though. I was very optimistic during this time before everything came crashing down and the entire world changed for the worst.

Subject: Re: The Fake Early 2020s

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 4:36 pm

This is the 'vibe' of the fake early 2020s era I'm talking about (and no it is not the late 2010s, a song and video like this wouldn't dare top the charts in 2018).

oygrmJFKYZY

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 5:22 pm

This song also reminds me of that time. It was always on the radio.

EzKkl64rRbM

Written By: violet_shy on 06/17/21 at 6:18 pm

I remember this time period well. It went by so fast! I remember during that time when they first started covering news stories about Covid.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/17/21 at 8:12 pm

This is the song that stands out when I think of that time.

pok8H_KF1FA

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 8:22 pm

This is the song that stands out when I think of that time.

pok8H_KF1FA

That song came out right near the end of the fake early 2020s. But it got popular during the pandemic I found, rather than in the fake early '20s.

Written By: passthegabagool on 06/17/21 at 10:24 pm

I wish it wasn't cut short. Imagine the rest of 2020 and 2021 having that vibe. The world is slowly getting back to normal step-by-step, but the vibe 2019 and early 2020 had is gone forever :(

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/21 at 10:35 pm

I wish it wasn't cut short. Imagine the rest of 2020 and 2021 having that vibe. The world is slowly getting back to normal step-by-step, but the vibe 2019 and early 2020 had is gone forever :(

I agree. It was very optomistic.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 10:06 am

It could be that December, 2019 belongs in this era. Maybe even the last two weeks of November, 2019.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/21 at 10:08 am

It could be that December, 2019 belongs in this era. Maybe even the last two weeks of November, 2019.
How about New Year's Eve?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 10:27 am

How about New Year's Eve?

Yes, probably most of all because that is when turn-of-decade optimism is at fever pitch.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/21 at 10:28 am

Yes, probably most of all because that is when turn-of-decade optimism is at fever pitch.
After ditching the 2020 commemorative glasses?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/21 at 4:48 pm

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what I meant. We are not in the fake early '20s now, this is 100% the early 2020s. The fake early '20s was in January and February of 2020. This was the new cultural era without the pandemic attached to it pretty much and it was pretty optimistic until we got hit with the pandemic in mid March.

In 2022, it will be a transitional year from the early 2020s (covid era) into the mid 2020s. I think we will be fully immersed into mid 2020s culture by January 1, 2023. So the mid 2020s will begin earlier this year. The 2021 - 2022 school year will see this transition into the mid '20s. Next summer 2022 we will pretty much know what mid '20s culture is.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/21 at 5:08 pm

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what I meant. We are not in the fake early '20s now, this is 100% the early 2020s. The fake early '20s was in January and February of 2020. This was the new cultural era without the pandemic attached to it pretty much and it was pretty optimistic until we got hit with the pandemic in mid March.

In 2022, it will be a transitional year from the early 2020s (covid era) into the mid 2020s. I think we will be fully immersed into mid 2020s culture by January 1, 2023. So the mid 2020s will begin earlier this year. The 2021 - 2022 school year will see this transition into the mid '20s. Next summer 2022 we will pretty much know what mid '20s culture is.

Does this plan taking into consideration any unforeseen things that might happen or is it with unforeseen things that might throw it off? And what about people that don't have "school years"? Are we still part of that pattern or does the "school year" dictate the pattern regardless? Looking at things through a lens of "school years" rather limits things, wouldn't you say?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/21 at 5:11 pm

If it wasn’t for the pandemic, the rest of 2020 would have been more like that (January and February). It would have been like reliving 2004, a feel good year.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/21 at 6:01 pm

If it wasn’t for the pandemic, the rest of 2020 would have been more like that (January and February). It would have been like reliving 2004, a feel good year.

I agree.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/21 at 7:23 am

And there wouldn't be any mask wearing? ???

Written By: duenas8 on 06/23/21 at 4:29 pm

Many songs disappeared from the charts after March, because people stopped to party. Those tracks remind me of that little era.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 06/27/21 at 1:40 pm

From a UK perspective, there was a very short mini-era from 12 December 2019 (general election) to 22 March 2020 (last day before full lockdown)! Another major event in that time was when we fully cut our ties with the EU on 31 January.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/28/21 at 4:14 am

What a crazy, historic time 2020 was. February of that year was easily the "calmest" month out of them all with the presidential primaries, Trump getting acquitted, Sonic movie being released, Parasite winning most of the Oscars, Pop Smoke dying, etc. People knew about COVID but it was mostly seen as a non-life altering outbreak for the majority of the world. Like what someone said, it was basically an extension of late 2019 culture.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/21 at 4:28 am

What a crazy, historic time 2020 was. February of that year was easily the "calmest" month out of them all with the presidential primaries, Trump getting acquitted, Sonic movie being released, Parasite winning most of the Oscars, Pop Smoke dying, etc. People knew about COVID but it was mostly seen as a non-life altering outbreak for the majority of the world. Like what someone said, it was basically an extension of late 2019 culture.
Yes, a strange month then, February 2020. We knew what was happening abroad, rising fatalities and cases in China, people bringing the virus into the country, and nothing being done to stop them.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/21 at 6:59 am

Yes, a strange month then, February 2020. We knew what was happening abroad, rising fatalities and cases in China, people bringing the virus into the country, and nothing being done to stop them.

It was the calm before the storm, Then March 2020 happened.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/29/21 at 1:25 pm

I remember in February 2020 people were making jokes and memes about the virus, then known as Corona. Nobody knew what would come of it. In early March it began to get more serious and handshaking got phased out as the virus started to spread. But then in mid march all hell broke loose more or less and the world completely changed from how we knew it. It was kind of scary because no one knew what was going on. All we were told was "stay at home". It was a weird time and I will never forget it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/21 at 2:47 pm

I remember when the only downer was mourning the loss of Kobe in late January. There were so many emotional tributes for him especially the first Lakers game at Staples Center following and during the pre-kickoff of the Superbowl. Speaking of SB, that's another thing I remember about February. It was in Miami and the Halftime Show had performances by Shakira and J-Lo (I remember all the "Karens" complaining about that, how it's inappropriate for family TV). I also remember seeing "Bad Boys For Life" and "Sonic the Hedgehog", the last movies I watched in the theater.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/21 at 11:44 pm

I remember when the only downer was mourning the loss of Kobe in late January. There were so many emotional tributes for him especially the first Lakers game at Staples Center following and during the pre-kickoff of the Superbowl. Speaking of SB, that's another thing I remember about February. It was in Miami and the Halftime Show had performances by Shakira and J-Lo (I remember all the "Karens" complaining about that, how it's inappropriate for family TV). I also remember seeing "Bad Boys For Life" and "Sonic the Hedgehog", the last movies I watched in the theater.

It's funny and a little eerie I remember during this time going out to so many places, cafes, movie theatres, etc. More than I've ever gone in the past. All the while having no idea it would be my last time doing those activities before the pandemic.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/21 at 9:13 pm

This song reminds me of that time too

C5RrNaCfUXE&ab_channel=justintimberlakeVEVO

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/20/21 at 11:12 am

There was a little 'secret' mini sub era of this decade many people overlooked and forgot about. I like to call it the "fake early 2020s". What do I mean by this? I'm talking about the first two months of 2020 before the pandemic began. I'm actually already nostalgic for this time since it was before masks and social distancing. When Post Malone was on the radio non-stop with his song Circles, when everyone on these boards were so excited and optimistic for this decade, when the wildfires in Australia were going on (not a good thing though), when people were meming the Coronavirus and making jokes about it and not making a big deal of it since they thought there was no way it would spread, when "Covid" didn't exist and it was known as Corona, and when Donald Trump was extremely popular (as the American economy was in amazing shape). I see this intriguing era as the Fake early 2020s since it was before the pandemic began which was when we really realized what the early '20s would be like. I really liked the fake early '20s though. I was very optimistic during this time before everything came crashing down and the entire world changed for the worst.

The ironic thing is if it had not been for the pandemic and everything else that went wrong in 2020, then Donald Trump probably would have been reelected, and easily. We would just have darker days ahead though. Then again, we still might. Like I was saying how in 2004 when GWB was reelected during the feel good vibes and the future seemed bright, but a few years later the economy went from boom to bust.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/21 at 7:50 pm

The ironic thing is if it had not been for the pandemic and everything else that went wrong in 2020, then Donald Trump probably would have been reelected, and easily. We would just have darker days ahead though. Then again, we still might. Like I was saying how in 2004 when GWB was reelected during the feel good vibes and the future seemed bright, but a few years later the economy went from boom to bust.

I think Trump would have won for sure if the pandemic didn't happen. As for how bad things would be, not sure.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/22/21 at 3:09 am

It was still very 2019. Good As H3ll, Trampoline, & Only Human were still big on radio!

Written By: Howard on 07/22/21 at 5:48 am

I think Trump would have won for sure if the pandemic didn't happen. As for how bad things would be, not sure.

Then what happens with Joe Biden? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/21 at 7:59 am

Then what happens with Joe Biden? ???

What do you mean?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/21 at 8:03 am

It was still very 2019. Good As H3ll, Trampoline, & Only Human were still big on radio!

Late 2019 was not late '10s though, nothing like 2018. We were in a different era for pop culture, that's my point. Mandelorean, Billie Eilish, throwback upbeat pop, foldable phones, this was nothing like 2018. The pandemic didn't start yet which is why it's the fake early '20s.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 6:10 am

What do you mean?

If the pandemic didn't happen what would've happened with Joe Biden?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/23/21 at 7:15 am

If the pandemic didn't happen what would've happened with Joe Biden?

He might have still ran, but would have lost. The electoral votes would have looked more like the 2016 election give or take a few states.

Check for new replies or respond here...