inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jamie Spears Steps Down as Britney’s Conservator

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/21 at 5:55 pm

(Subject title changed on 8-12 to reflect current case status)

Songbird Britney Spears, :-* who has been subject to a conservatorship for the past 13 years since a psychiatric breakdown back in the 2000s, finally got her chance to testify in open court regarding the conservatorship arrangement.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-speaks-conservatorship-hearing

Amongst other things she apparently at one point had an IED implanted and wants it to be taken out so she can have more kids.

It’s hard to tell how the proceeding is going, because from the transcripts you really can’t judge her “state of mind” in court.

I can’t get the back story to this because one of Brit’s close relatives no longer works at my company. But heck, he never spilled anything to us even when he did work here.  :P

Subject: Re: Britney’s Day in Court Arrives

Written By: woahjoey on 06/24/21 at 8:17 pm

Yay I'm so glad there's a thread for this!

I have no idea how I am feeling after listening to the leaked 30min audio. I'm devastated for The Legendary Miss Britney Spears. I'm angry for her. And I'm so sad to learn that this conservatorship is WORSE than what many of us had been suspecting (forced to take lithium; unable to take out her IUD; super punitive management and family). This is probably the most honest Britney has been -- in public -- in a very long time, and way overdue!

I do believe this is a critical pop culture moment. I also wouldn't be surprised if this leads to updated conservatorship laws here in California.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/24/21 at 8:56 pm

Disabled rights will be the next big social justice movement

Written By: Ripley on 06/25/21 at 10:00 am

Jamie Spears is an abusive piece of scum. From what I’ve heard, he was always trying to control her even before that conservatorship. And I believe he and former managers, etc. are part of the reason she had her break down in the first place. This thing started before 2008. Yes artists work a lot but she rarely rarely has gotten days off! And it’s bad enough he can control her money but her body? She is long overdue for freedom. #freebritney

Written By: Slim95 on 06/25/21 at 2:39 pm

Britney Spears isn't the only celebrity who had a breakdown. So I don't see how it is fair that she has no personal freedom when other celebrities who have done a lot worse things do. Something is very off.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/21 at 5:55 pm

Disabled rights will be the next big social justice movement

I believe the PC term is “differently abled” or “physically challenged”.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/21 at 5:57 pm

I can tell you this, Brit’s extended family has not been taking financial advantage of her. As an example, her sis Jamie Lynn (and Jamie Lynn’s husband Jamie) were living in a modest apartment on top of a Louisiana truck repair shop just 3-4 years ago.

Reason I know this is because I was there.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/25/21 at 7:41 pm

I believe the PC term is “differently abled” or “physically challenged”.

They've switched back to "disabled" now. It's better to destigmatize lacking a common ability than euphemize.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/25/21 at 7:50 pm

Reminder that this is only the first celebrity conservatorship controversy in the social media era. In the past, there was also Brian Wilson, Mickey Rooney and Casey Kasem.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/25/21 at 8:47 pm

The Australian ABC showed the clip of ten year old Britney being sexualised by the host of Star Search in 1992.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/26/21 at 12:22 am

It is a very sad reality when a human being can be screwed over for years upon years due to their mental health from when their prefrontal cortex was not fully developed.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/26/21 at 1:37 am

Johnny Carson once asked a child actress he was interviewing on Carson what kind of wedding did she want and what kind of man did she want to marry.

Oh, Johnny…

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/21 at 6:52 am

They've switched back to "disabled" now. It's better to destigmatize lacking a common ability than euphemize.

Does that mean that “retarded” is also coming back as a clinical term? ???

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/26/21 at 9:54 am

Does that mean that “retarded” is also coming back as a clinical term? ???

No. Though the modern term is "intellectual disability," which has the word "disability" in it. Euphemisms like "special" are taboo.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/21 at 11:39 am

No. Though the modern term is "intellectual disability," which has the word "disability" in it. Euphemisms like "special" are taboo.

No more “special education programs” then? ???

How about the Special Olympics? ???

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/26/21 at 11:59 am

I'm not sure. You shouldn't call a person "special needs" though

Written By: Redhairkid on 06/26/21 at 12:34 pm

I am no fan of Britney. But I side with her on this because, apart from it not being fair, I know how it feels to have controlling parents. They wouldn't even let me leave home and live independently. I was still living with my parents at the age of 45 because of this. It isn't a nice thing to say but the death of my mother finally liberated me.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/21 at 3:14 pm

Or "mentally challenged".

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/26/21 at 3:20 pm

I'm just talking about referring to a person. AFAIK everything else is fine.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/26/21 at 5:18 pm

I am no fan of Britney. But I side with her on this because, apart from it not being fair, I know how it feels to have controlling parents. They wouldn't even let me leave home and live independently. I was still living with my parents at the age of 45 because of this. It isn't a nice thing to say but the death of my mother finally liberated me.

Seeing that grown arse male host ask ten year old Britney on Star Search whether she had a boyfriend reminded me that a ten year old little boy contestant would NOT have have been asked right there on national television if he had a girlfriend.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/29/21 at 11:22 pm

But I side with her on this because, apart from it not being fair, I know how it feels to have controlling parents. They wouldn't even let me leave home and live independently. I was still living with my parents at the age of 45 because of this. It isn't a nice thing to say but the death of my mother finally liberated me.

I concur. This was my grandmother, who raised me, to a T. I was literally her personal slave, spending approx. 75 percent of my waking day doing chores by the time I was 30. She dictated my clothes and my hair length. She was a Scorpio, so you know what that means. She was almost always in a foul mood, very contentious, violent mood swings. I was walking on eggshells every single day. She abused/mistreated me, Grandpa and my mom. She was a helicopter who called me constantly when she was out and about.

For nearly 14 years, she restricted how many leisure hours I could spend in my room. First 30 minutes, then an hour. Eventually three, though I deliberately cheated whenever I (felt like I) could get away with it. It may have been because I lashed out, but 14 years punishment for it?

Her death in 2018 from CHF may have been the best thing that ever happened to me. Even when I moved in with my aunt and family (which she herself orchestrated), she still couldn't let me go. She criticized my aunt and uncle for not "taking good enough care of " and said that if something happened to Grandpa before her, she'd move in with us.  >:( Over my dead body, you will. I lived with her for almost the entire first 31 1/2 years of my life. I felt like a heavy burden had been lifted.  A year later, her already crappy health got worse and she died. Another burden lifted.

Every once in a while I see news articles and How to Tell lists about abusive/controlling/toxic parents, and Grandma ticked most of the boxes on each one. But the abuse goes back at least two generations earlier.

So I've been there. I know what it's like. The end of this nightmare is long overdue and I hope it does end.

I am no fan of Britney.

Shame on you.  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/21 at 5:10 am

I am no fan of Britney.

I’m a fan.

She is hotter than ever.  :-*

Written By: Howard on 06/30/21 at 3:04 pm

I’m a fan.

She is hotter than ever.  :-*

I'll be happy when she poses nude for Playboy.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/21 at 6:28 pm

Jamie Spears (father of Britney, not to be confused with Jamie, Britney’s sister or Jamie, Jamie’s husband) has come out and categorically denied that he stood in the way of Britney marrying her boyfriend or forcing her to have an IED implanted and then not removed.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-conservator-jodi-montgomery-responds-jamie-spears-claims

Britney’s other conservator is saying much the same.

If all of this is true (that the conservators did not stand in her way), Britney probably stuck her foot in her mouth and will cause the conservatorship to perpetuate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/21 at 5:20 am

The judge in the case has denied Britney’s request to remove Jamie (her father) from being her financial conservator.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/britney-spears-conservatorship-request-denied-remove-father-1235009486/

He has not been her “personal affairs” conservator since 2019. So all the business about her IED (if it even happened at all) does not fall on his shoulders.

She can, however, formally file for the conservatorship to end. For some off reason despite her recent testimony, she never actually filed a court request to end the conservatorship.

Written By: Ripley on 07/01/21 at 4:41 pm

The judge in the case has denied Britney’s request to remove Jamie (her father) from being her financial conservator.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/britney-spears-conservatorship-request-denied-remove-father-1235009486/

He has not been her “personal affairs” conservator since 2019. So all the business about her IED (if it even happened at all) does not fall on his shoulders.

She can, however, formally file for the conservatorship to end. For some off reason despite her recent testimony, she never actually filed a court request to end the conservatorship.

Another hearing is happening on the 14th in regards to her new statement.

Subject: Re: Jamie Spears Will Continue as Britney’s Financial Conservator

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/21 at 4:45 pm

So Britney Spears isn't free yet?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/21 at 5:07 pm

So Britney Spears isn't free yet?  ???

Nope. Of course what none of us know is what transpired in the sealed proceedings of her case. It could well be that the elevator does not go up to the top floor.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/03/21 at 1:14 am

A lawyer suggests that the conservatorship's days are "numbered" now that Bessemer Trust has withdrawn from its planned co-conservatorship role in the wake of #BritneySpeaks.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/free-britney-spears-conservatorship-end-lawyer-182100604.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/21 at 9:32 am

And it’s bad enough he can control her money but her body? She is long overdue for freedom. #freebritney

Jamie has not been her personal conservator for two years. So it would not be him standing in the way of her removing her IED.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/21 at 10:38 am

I just saw in the news where the judge in the case granted Bessemer Trust’s request to walk away from its role in the conservatorship.

This now leaves Jamie (Britney’s father) as the sole financial conservator.

What’s-her-name is still Britney’s personal conservatrix.

Subject: Re: Jamie Spears Will Continue as Britney’s Financial Conservator; Bessemer is Out

Written By: Howard on 07/04/21 at 2:14 pm

Doesn't Britney have another sister besides Jamie?

Subject: Re: Jamie Spears Will Continue as Britney’s Financial Conservator; Bessemer is Out

Written By: Ripley on 07/05/21 at 3:23 pm

Doesn't Britney have another sister besides Jamie?

She has an older brother, Bryan.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/05/21 at 10:02 pm

I just saw in the news where the judge in the case granted Bessemer Trust’s request to walk away from its role in the conservatorship.

This now leaves Jamie (Britney’s father) as the sole financial conservator.

What’s-her-name is still Britney’s personal conservatrix.

"What's-her-name" is Jodi Montgomery, who has blood on her hands (figurately speaking) from at least one other conservatorship case. #NameAndShame

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/who-is-jodi-montgomery-britney-spears-co-conservator/

Update July 6, 2021: ...And Larry Rudolph is out. Good riddance. Don't believe the BS that Britney is retiring, unless she -- and only she -- says so herself.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/21 at 6:20 pm

Looks like what’s-her-name will be sticking around for a while longer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9762301/Britney-Spears-conservator-Jodi-Montgomery-refuses-step-down.html

Jodi Montgomery says that Britney contacted her in the past day or so, and wants Jodi to remain as her personal Conservatrix.

Meanwhile Britney’s lawyer, Sam Ingram, has resigned.

If it turns out that Britney really is bat sh*t crazy, lots of people will have egg on their faces.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/21 at 5:30 am

In other recent developments….

Britney has posted a topless photo to the internet.  :o

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-topless-photo-instagram

Jamie (Britney’s sister) tells the media to leave her alone, and states that she is “the only family member not on Britney’s payroll” (to which I can attest).

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-sister-jamie-lynn-conservatorship-left-alone

Written By: Howard on 07/09/21 at 3:02 pm

In other recent developments….

Britney has posted a topless photo to the internet.  :o

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-topless-photo-instagram

Jamie (Britney’s sister) tells the media to leave her alone, and states that she is “the only family member not on Britney’s payroll” (to which I can attest).

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-sister-jamie-lynn-conservatorship-left-alone

That doesn't surprise me!  ::)

Subject: Re: New Lawyer for Britney

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/21 at 5:25 am

Looks like Britney has a new lawyer. Her conservatorship judge will issue a ruling in that, presumably today.

https://pagesix.com/2021/07/13/mathew-rosengart-now-repping-britney-spears-in-conservatorship-case/

Subject: Re: New Lawyer for Britney Spears

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/14/21 at 10:05 am

As far as I am concerned, Britney Spears is as dumb as a post. It's not entirely her fault, she was groomed since birth to be in the exact position she is in right now. Nonetheless, it is an abomination that she is surrounded by this Elvis-like "Memphis Mafia" of people who are living high off the hog with her as the cash cow while she remains a virtual prisoner, not allowed to make any decisions for herself. Truly a case of celebrity/showbiz run amok!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/21 at 5:14 am

Britney’s new lawyer has been approved by the judge.

IT’S GAME ON…  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/21 at 7:04 pm

Britney is really amping up the pressure on her conservatorship, in her recent expletive and F-bomb laden post at Instagram. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-tears-into-father-jamie-conservatorship-instagram

In her most recent statement, she rips into Jamie (her father) and even Jamie (her sister). Only Jamie (her brother in law, Jamie’s husband) seems to have been spared.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/21 at 6:02 pm

Looks like Britney is getting out of control again.  :-\\

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-topless-denim-shorts-conservatorship

She posted another topless photo of herself on the ‘net.  :o

Written By: Elor on 07/27/21 at 5:43 am

So? Why is nudity such a problem in the US? Are the Taliban in charge already? ::)

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/27/21 at 6:26 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/britney-spears-topless-denim-shorts-conservatorship

I don't understand what the problem is. Unless nudity is just part of what she did, rather than the whole of what she did (I didn't click on the link).

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/28/21 at 5:33 am

Jamie Lynn Spears-Watson’s husband Jamie Watson was photographed gawking at Britney’s recent pics.  :o

https://pagesix.com/2021/07/26/jamie-lynn-spears-husband-caught-looking-at-britneys-instagram/?_ga=2.202007444.442368969.1627468137-274160861.1627212389

Looking at the pic, I never realized that Jamie (Lynn) was so well stacked.

https://pagesix.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/07/jamie-lynn-spears.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/21 at 7:39 am

Britney has posted yet another social media post with a topless pic.  :-https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/britney-spears-posts-fourth-topless-picture-in-a-week-to-instagram/ar-AAMMJOE?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

At the rate things are going there might be a full-frontal shot in the future.  I wonder what's up with this nudity spree? ???

Written By: Elor on 08/01/21 at 9:37 am

Britney has posted yet another social media post with a topless pic.  :-https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/britney-spears-posts-fourth-topless-picture-in-a-week-to-instagram/ar-AAMMJOE?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

At the rate things are going there might be a full-frontal shot in the future.  I wonder what's up with this nudity spree? ???
My god, she even had her hands in front of her boobs so nothing could be seen. Just as with the pictures. A huge nothing burger.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/21 at 1:30 pm

My god, she even had her hands in front of her boobs so nothing could be seen. Just as with the pictures. A huge nothing burger.

Well if she follows the path that Miley Cyrus did, you don’t know what will come next…  :-\\

Written By: Elor on 08/01/21 at 1:32 pm

Well if she follows the path that Miley Cyrus did, you don’t know what will come next…  :-\\
Being a super successful star? ???

Subject: Jamie Spears Steps Down

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/21 at 4:43 pm

It is finished.

Today, Jamie Spears (father of Britney, not to be confused with her sister Jamie, or Jamie’s husband Jamie) has elected to step down as Britney’s conservator.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/britney-spears-father-jamie-spears-quits-conservator-1235040690/

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/21 at 8:40 am

Jamie Spears is an abusive piece of scum. From what I’ve heard, he was always trying to control her even before that conservatorship. And I believe he and former managers, etc. are part of the reason she had her break down in the first place. This thing started before 2008. Yes artists work a lot but she rarely rarely has gotten days off! And it’s bad enough he can control her money but her body? She is long overdue for freedom. #freebritney

I don't know enough of the details, but couldn't have Britney said no to many of the things in the past? I know this is kind of a unpopular opinion, but she could have taken a longer break back in 2002/2003, that would have lessened her change of breakdown later on (like in 2007/2008), and I also have this feeling that Britney wasn't direct enough in saying no, sometimes!

I wonder if she was under contract, and was forced to do some of the things she did pre-2008! Britney Spears is such a nice, and kind, person, and that's why she's so well liked by a lot of people, but her over-niceness also played a part in her meltdown back in 2007!

Subject: Re: Jamie Spears Steps Down as Britney’s Conservator

Written By: Slim95 on 08/17/21 at 8:50 am

Britney Spears posing nude isn't a new thing at all. She actually started the nudity thing all the way back in 2001. Miley Cyrus followed her example, not the other way around. So this isn't a new thing at all. I will say she is too old for this kind of thing now though.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/21 at 6:55 pm

Britney Spears posing nude isn't a new thing at all. She actually started the nudity thing all the way back in 2001. Miley Cyrus followed her example, not the other way around. So this isn't a new thing at all. I will say she is too old for this kind of thing now though.

She’s done a few more pseudo-topless (hand bra) shots in Instagram in the past few days.

Fairly mild stuff, it’s not like she’s doing full-frontal pictorial. Yet.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/17/21 at 6:57 pm

She’s done a few more pseudo-topless (hand bra) shots in Instagram in the past few days.

Fairly mild stuff, it’s not like she’s doing full-frontal pictorial. Yet.

She already did that in her prime, didn't she?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/21 at 7:03 pm

She already did that in her prime, didn't she?

I think those were some spy photos at her house, which my opinion would not count. And then there was a wardrobe malfunction or two whilst she was exiting a limo.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/21 at 5:57 pm

It seems the worst of her conservatorship is over, she's just waiting out the rest of it the next few years!  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/18/21 at 6:09 pm

I think those were some spy photos at her house, which my opinion would not count. And then there was a wardrobe malfunction or two whilst she was exiting a limo.

I see. I thought she posed nude for a bunch of magaizes and stuff too but I may be wrong.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/21 at 10:06 pm

I wonder if she's ever gonna make a comeback album!  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/21 at 5:20 am

Britney is now under investigation by the local constabulary for the alleged misdemeanor battery of an employee.

https://people.com/music/britney-spears-under-investigation-allegedly-striking-employee-dispute-police/

According to the report, there was some sort of dispute. About a veterinarian visit for a Britney’s dog that precipitated whatever went down.  :-\\

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/30/21 at 12:19 am

Judge Brenda Penny has suspended Jamie from the conservatorship. John Zabel CPA is Britney's new temporary co-conservator with Jody Montgomery.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/29/1041473650/britney-spears-conservatorship-dad-jamie-spears-suspended

A hearing on whether to terminate the conservatorship altogether has been set for November 12.

There have also been 5 billion documentaries, including the NYT/FX/Hulu sequel Controlling Britney Spears, Netflix's Britney Vs. SPears, and CNN's Toxic.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/30/21 at 12:59 am

Hopefully Britney better not get into any more trouble before she needs a conservator again. But great for her regardless.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/21 at 4:23 pm

Hopefully Britney better not get into any more trouble before she needs a conservator again. But great for her regardless.

She’s continuing to post nudie pics at Instagram.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/21 at 8:51 pm

I haven't heard this much news about Britney Spears since 2007.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/21 at 6:41 pm

I haven't heard this much news about Britney Spears since 2007.

It’s a return of 90s acts… the usual cycle of nostalgia.

Even Limp Biscuit is making a comeback with their Dad Vibes video.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...