inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years are the latest years you would consider old, dated and a bit dated?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/30/21 at 6:25 pm

READ BEFORE COMMENTING OR DONT COMMENT

Because of the text limit I couldn't complete the title so here's the full title:

Which latest individual years in the 21st century alone would you consider ancient, old, dated and slightly dated within the context of this century alone?

Remember, only from this century and only within the context of this century. Just pretend as if the world began in 2001 for the sake of this topic. Even if in the grand scheme of things with previous centuries taken into account the years in this century don't seem old to you.

Ancient: 2003 since that seemed to be the last of the early 00s before everything got edgier pop culturally and before next gen consoles, emos, web 2.0, youtube, myspace, etc became a thing or got popular. I'm going by a combination of quick research and anecdotes of people who were adults or teens during the time so i'm aware this could be wrong.

Old: 2009. Electropop was starting to dominate but it didn't sound the same as early 10s electropop until august and it wasn't until fall that you had a lot big 10s artists making their debut hits such as Kesha, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj and Jason Derulo. You still had a bit of rock here and there whereas it instantly became extinct in 2010 and there were still plenty of songs popular that year that would fit in with the mid 00s. Camera quality for professionally shot music videos still looked a bit grainy. There were a lot of games this year which blatantly show their age like inFAMOUS, Batman Arkham Asylum, Prototype, Assassins Creed 2, etc. Also last year of the old YT layout with stars if memory serves me well. I'd say August 2009 is the cutoff point where it stops feeling old but that's about 2/3 through the year anyway.

Dated: 2012. Last year before the biggest cultural shift of the 10s. Nuff said.

A bit dated: 2015. The last full mid 10s year where memes were still in an experimental renaissance phase, gaming was in transition from 7th to 8th gen, post-electropop mainstream music hadn't found an identity yet, trump wasn't taken that seriously as a candidate. 2016 is the start of pretty much everything we have today.

Subject: Re: What years are the latest years you would consider old, dated and a bit dated?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/30/21 at 7:15 pm

Latest: 2012

Subject: Re: What years are the latest years you would consider old, dated and a bit dated?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/30/21 at 7:22 pm

Latest: 2012

Read the bio

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/30/21 at 7:35 pm

Sorry. I wanted to be the first person to reply. I actually read in full before commenting, but I'll elaborate right now.

Ancient: 2001-2
I still would've been... extremely poorly-adjusted had I been in my double digits these years.

Old: 2003
I would have felt a glimmer of hope starting this year, I think. This episode of Frasier was released called "Enemy At the Gate" that I consider utterly hilarious. Definitely in my top 5 of that show's episodes.

Dated: 2004-6
Emohood became popular. Had I been 16 in 2004, I think I would've had a blast that year. Gaming graphics were already relatively modern.

A bit dated: 2007-12
I view 2007 as a year that is unbeaten in terms of technological advancement compared to the year previous (in this case, 2006) in contemporary history.

Written By: Contigo on 07/01/21 at 12:37 pm

Ancient: Before the 1960s
Old: Before the 1970s
Dated: Anything before 1990
A Bit Dated: Before the late 1990s

The late 1990s to today (for me) have gone by like that (snaps fingers) Seems like 1998 is 2 or 3 years ago at most, very recent to me.
Beware as you get older, time flies exponentially fast.  :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/21 at 1:04 pm

...don't remind me!

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/01/21 at 1:06 pm

Ancient: Before the 1960s
Old: Before the 1970s
Dated: Anything before 1990
A Bit Dated: Before the late 1990s

The late 1990s to today (for me) have gone by like that (snaps fingers) Seems like 1998 is 2 or 3 years ago at most, very recent to me.

*****21st century years*******

Why does no one read the bio? I give up.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/01/21 at 1:49 pm

Maybe if enough people see this information in later posts, giving up won't be necessary. I would hope that that's the case, anyway.

Written By: Contigo on 07/01/21 at 2:36 pm

Ah sorry  NightmareFarm , should have read it in more closer detail.
Don't be discouraged , eventually we will get it right :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/01/21 at 4:13 pm

I understand your frustration to some degree, but to say, in bold letters, "read before commenting or don't comment", which in this context is essentially saying "don't go off topic", i.e. "post what I want you to post" is a bit contrary to the spirit of this board. Once a topic is posted it is essentially fair game.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/01/21 at 6:38 pm

I understand your frustration to some degree, but to say, in bold letters, "read before commenting or don't comment", which in this context is essentially saying "don't go off topic", i.e. "post what I want you to post" is a bit contrary to the spirit of this board. Once a topic is posted it is essentially fair game.

I'm not saying go off topic I included that because the title had a letter cap so I couldn't get the full message out. It's not like I was going full reddit moderator mode I was just briefly making it clear was the thread was about.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/21 at 8:30 pm

Ancient: 2004. Before MySpace became popular, before The Office, Friends was still on even though it was the big finale. Before Youtube we were watching videos on ebaumsworld or Yahoo Music.

Old: 2008. Even though Obama was elected and Lady Gaga made her debut, it still felt old but in a good/nostalgic way.

Dated: 2012. Still part of the early 10's EDM and early iPhone/Android era with Angry Birds and Facebook/Twitter still being the dominant social media apps.

Slightly dated: 2016. Even though Trump was elected, a lot of the music was dated.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/02/21 at 12:49 am

A Bit Dated: 2015
Dated: 2010
Old: 2001
Ancient: Pre-2000

Check for new replies or respond here...