inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Flying Cars Have Arrived!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/21 at 5:24 pm

A prototype flying car has completed a 35-minute flight between international airports in Nitra and Bratislava, Slovakia.  8)

https://bbc.in/3y4jsAb?fbclid=IwAR25aguNZGttG80xLlFKr7OGgaJPNyo03gPzJWqLe9-ggQOvb7BCEI1lKQA

This is so cool.

Subject: Re: Flying Cars Have Arrived!

Written By: violet_shy on 07/03/21 at 6:23 pm

Wow it's beautiful!  :) It must be very expensive to own one.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/21 at 7:42 am

A prototype flying car has completed a 35-minute flight between international airports in Nitra and Bratislava, Slovakia.  8)

https://bbc.in/3y4jsAb?fbclid=IwAR25aguNZGttG80xLlFKr7OGgaJPNyo03gPzJWqLe9-ggQOvb7BCEI1lKQA

This is so cool.

When did they say this would be available?  ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/04/21 at 7:54 am

I’d say it’s more of a street legal airplane. As you still need a runway to takeoff and land.

Would be handy for some applications. Like going from one small airport to another, where driving would take forever or is not possible, like many places in Alaska.

Or something like this. 20 miles as the crow flies, and no island is more than a few miles apart. Could probably take a kayak across. 5 1/2 hours drive time.

https://goo.gl/maps/aJiVw2ZPvc1aoKu17

Or something more in my area. 12 or 13 miles as the crow flies. Hour and 15 minutes by car and Traverse City is no picnic especially in the summer. Otherwise it would be from one quiet pretty place to another.

https://goo.gl/maps/G96GPviviWppSF9U8

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/21 at 10:36 am

I’d say it’s more of a street legal airplane. As you still need a runway to takeoff and land.

https://goo.gl/maps/G96GPviviWppSF9U8

Well you could park alongside the road somewhere, and when there’s no traffic coming, pull out and take off.

Similarly for a landing, circle the area until you see an opening in traffic, then swoop in. And then quickly retract your wings.

4-lane high way preferred.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/21 at 10:42 am

It's just a car with wings aka a small airplane...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 10:49 am

This is a small plane, nothing more, nothing less. As I have said for YEARS to people who have the irrational fantasy of Jetsons-like "flying cars", "we already have them, they're called planes", and this proves it.  By definition, a flying car can be nothing but a plane. I don't know what people don't get about this. And think of the license that would be required to operate this conveyance. It would surely be akin to a pilot's license combined with a driver's license.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/21 at 10:50 am

This is a small plane, nothing more, nothing less. As I have said for YEARS to people who have the irrational fantasy of Jetsons-like "flying cars", "we already have them, they're called planes", and this proves it.  By definition, a flying car can be nothing but a plane. I don't know what people don't get about this. And think of the license that would be required to operate this conveyance. It would surely be akin to a pilot's license combined with a driver's license.

Until we get a car without wings that hovers and flies without a runway I won't be impressed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 11:00 am

Until we get a car without wings that hovers and flies without a runway I won't be impressed.

And the infrastructure it would require to accommodate tens of thousands of personal "flying cars" in constant use on land and in air would be overwhelming. Do people think traffic jams in the sky are any less annoying than traffic jams on the ground? Ask any air traffic controller for the answer.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/04/21 at 1:34 pm

And the infrastructure it would require to accommodate tens of thousands of personal "flying cars" in constant use on land and in air would be overwhelming. Do people think traffic jams in the sky are any less annoying than traffic jams on the ground? Ask any air traffic controller for the answer.

I agree, I’ve said the same thing.

As with many things that are new, it seems like a great idea until everyone starts doing it.

I was thinking more for places in the sticks, a little used 2 lane road, or a little used or abandoned runway.

If there’s a there’s a huge time savings like crossing the inlet of a bay, a modern amphicar would be very handy. Each side is almost guaranteed to have it’s own boat launch ramp.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/21 at 2:10 pm

Well you could park alongside the road somewhere, and when there’s no traffic coming, pull out and take off.

Similarly for a landing, circle the area until you see an opening in traffic, then swoop in. And then quickly retract your wings.

4-lane high way preferred.

Where would you deposit the gas, does it have a gas tank?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/05/21 at 9:58 pm

Where would deposit the gas, does it have a gas tank?

I would certainly hope it's electric. I'm curious about this too.

Glad to see we're finally making progress on flying cars.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/21 at 10:07 pm

Where would deposit the gas, does it have a gas tank?

The very first sentence of the article reads as follows:

"The hybrid car-aircraft, AirCar, is equipped with a BMW engine and runs on regular petrol-pump fuel."

If it runs on petrol there is a tank to put it in.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/21 at 10:09 pm

This is what real flying cars look like. Not that clunky airplane thing.

https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/897/1017/221/cyberpunk-science-fiction-flying-car-night-city-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/21 at 10:17 pm

https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/897/1017/221/cyberpunk-science-fiction-flying-car-night-city-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

That illustration is not realistic. It looks like fantasy. The vehicle as depicted could not fly.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/21 at 10:22 pm

That illustration is not realistic. It looks like fantasy. The vehicle as depicted could not fly.

That's what a true flying car is. People said 200 years ago that planes were impossible. So no it isn't impossible, just far, far away from us and we don't have the technology today to make it (it doesn't exist today). Maybe in 200 years this could be a reality though. Then we will have real flying cars like the ones in this picture. But it will probably be another couple hundreds of years for that to happen and for people to have the tech to make this a reality, but THIS is what I am waiting for.. Not that clunky mini-plane.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/21 at 10:31 pm

That's what a true flying car is. People said 200 years ago that planes were impossible. So no it isn't impossible, just far, far away from us and we don't have the technology today to make it (it doesn't exist today). Maybe in 200 years this could be a reality though. Then we will have real flying cars like the ones in this picture. But it will probably be another couple hundreds of years for that to happen and for people to have the tech to make this a reality, but THIS is what I am waiting for.. Not that clunky mini-plane.

That is anachronistic thinking. You think in 200 years cars are going to look like they look now? Do we know there will even be cars? Let alone that they will be up in the air, looking exactly like they looked in 2021. That's like people who still call stuff that looks like it came straight out of "Lost In Space" or "The Jetsons" in 1965 "futuristic". Silver suits and all. Call it what it is. A mid 20th century vision of the future that has since become outdated.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/21 at 10:41 pm

Right now it can't fly but in the future it can and I hope it does! This is what a real flying car is. If someone made something like this only then would I be impressed.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/21 at 11:09 pm

Not that clunky airplane thing.

Haha Lol. After studying the photos and video of that airplane car, I agree with you. 

Written By: duenas8 on 07/06/21 at 4:47 am

Finally the meme “People in 1950: We will have flying cars in ” is over

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/21 at 5:02 am

Finally the meme “People in 1950: We will have flying cars in ” is over
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need... roads!"

Written By: Howard on 07/06/21 at 7:48 am

Glad to see we're finally making progress on flying cars.

Would we need to plug it in after each use?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/21 at 7:49 am

Will we be like The Jetsons?

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/21 at 2:05 am

Flying Cars may eventually exist, but I doubt it will ever be like The Jetsons.  If your car breaks down on the side of the road, you call a tow truck.  If your flying car breaks down in mid-air, you fall to your death

And plus, what about all the bad or drunk drivers out there?  They can barely drive their car on roads.  Could you imagine them flying through the air?  The government will never have 100% trust in average citizens to get behind the wheel of a flying personal vehicle unsupervised lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/21 at 2:10 am

Flying Cars may eventually exist, but I doubt it will ever be like The Jetsons.  If your car breaks down on the side of the road, you call a tow truck.  If your flying car breaks down in mid-air, you fall to your death

And plus, what about all the bad or drunk drivers out there?  They can barely drive their car on roads.  Could you imagine them flying through the air?  The government will never have 100% trust in average citizens to get behind the wheel of a flying personal vehicle unsupervised lol
No doubt, a new form of Driver's Licence will be required, a Pilot's Licence?

Written By: Howard on 07/07/21 at 4:42 am

Couldn't you call an air-traffic controller? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...