inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is Olivia Rodrigo so popular?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/21 at 11:02 am

Her sound isn't new. Her style is recycled from the past and there's nothing new or unique about her or her music. So why do people like her so much? Is that the point now that people don't want something new and instead cling to genres from the past? Her last two popular songs sounded like they were from the 2010s (Driver's License) and 2000s (Good for You). Very stale and unoriginal and nothing good or exciting about her music. I wouldn't be surprised if her next hit sounded like it was from the '90s.. So why is Olivia Rodrigo so popular?  ???

Subject: Re: Why is Olivia Rodrigo so popular?

Written By: J. Rob on 07/04/21 at 11:57 am

I don't get the hype either.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/04/21 at 12:42 pm

Idk but if she's bringing pop punk back then it's a good thing. The current musical landscape of mumble rap, trap and generic pop is nauseating.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/21 at 12:59 pm

Idk but if she's bringing pop punk back then it's a good thing. The current musical landscape of mumble rap, trap and generic pop is nauseating.

How about something new that we didn't hear before? Why does everyone need to bring things back? What about originality?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/04/21 at 1:03 pm

How about something new that we didn't hear before? Why does everyone need to bring things back? What about originality?

I don't think thats possible now unless you want hyperpop. I'll take rehashed good music over new but crappy music.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 1:36 pm

I've said that here for years now. Everybody here  is always saying "when is this coming back, when is that coming back", "when will there be nostalgia for February 2009 to April 2012"? (Yes, it gets that weirdly specific). I think it may be the way younger people operate now. The theory is that possibly we have come to the end of ideas. Or at least GOOD ideas.  :o

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/21 at 2:25 pm

I had to look her up. I wasn't familiar with her. She's beautiful. And I haven't listened to her music, but it can't be that bad. I will listen to some of it and come back here to comment.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/04/21 at 4:31 pm

She was in that iCarly knockoff show with Jake Paul.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/04/21 at 4:45 pm

She's popular because she's captured so well the feelings of being a teenager and people in the real world don't care if music "sounds" new

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/21 at 4:52 pm

She sounds very mature for an 17 year old.

My voice is so small, lol. Everyone else sounds mature when compared to me.

Anyway her songs are nice.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 4:53 pm

She's popular because she's captured so well the feelings of being a teenager and people in the real world don't care if music "sounds" new

I think you may have hit on something. Consider:

People don't hear what they like. They like what they hear.

I thought this was just the province of oldsters, which is why you have those corporate "classic rock" stations that play, almost as if by law, the exact same 15 songs all the time. From "Sweet Home Alabama" to "Hotel California" to "Don't Stop Believin''", ad nauseum.  But apparently this is the way of young people now too. I was almost going to say the huger for the new, the unknown, the different, is gone. But I don't know if that's actually the case. Youth, especially, might still respond to the new, the unknown, the different, the OUT THERE, if it actually came along. And if it was good. But it doesn't come along.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 4:44 am

Her name does not ring a bell with me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/21 at 6:42 am

Ditto.

Written By: karen on 07/05/21 at 7:32 am

I didn’t recognise the name but Slim mentioned that she sang Driver’s License. I heard that song on the radio loads a couple of months back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 7:36 am

I didn’t recognise the name but Slim mentioned that she sang Driver’s License. I heard that song on the radio loads a couple of months back.
I cannot say if I have heard "Driver’s License" song, on or off the radio.

Written By: CarCar on 07/08/21 at 9:22 am

I just think her music is catchy. I don’t really care if she recycled it from some past era no one young remembers.

Besides recycling is caring.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/09/21 at 1:05 am

I mean...she has other songs that are original. I think her music is catchy. Besides, even if pop punk does come back into style, it wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. One could argue that grunge in the '90s was derived from rock in the '70s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/12/21 at 1:17 pm

I've been liking her songs tbh, they're so catchy and full of life compared to Billie Eilish

Written By: CarCar on 07/13/21 at 1:15 pm

I've been liking her songs tbh, they're so catchy and full of life compared to Billie Eilish

Yeah, Billie ellish is so apathetic, Olivia is an emotional softie

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/21 at 9:28 pm

The only Billie Eilish song I liked was Everything I Wanted. But at least she has more creativity and originality than this Olivia Rodrigo chick.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/15/21 at 11:40 am

Olivia Rodrigo has officially replaced Jen Psaki as White House Press Secretary

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/v5fhay/picture252785763/alternates/FREE_1140/Olivia%20Rodrigo

Written By: RG1995 on 07/17/21 at 4:21 pm

2000s pop punk is itself a commercialized rehash of music from prior decades

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/22/21 at 3:15 am

I guess you could say her music style gives you Deja Vu haahahahhahaha sorry anyway I can't explain it but she just fits the vibe of things rn. She's very gen Z. As for her 3 big hits so far, Driver's License is meh. Deja Vu sounds more advanced than 2010's pop to me. It has the distorted guitar thing going on & her vocals are clearly influenced by Billie. Good 4 U (other than clean production) sounds like something straight outta 2006 but once again for some reason it still fits our current culture to me. I'm pretty sure rock is making some kind of comeback.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/22/21 at 2:40 pm

I'm not sure it's fair to say punk pop sounds 2006. Punk pop is still made now and AFAIK it sounds the same. It's a genre not a fad

Check for new replies or respond here...