inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It would be great if this type of music would be the norm for the 20s

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/08/21 at 12:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI8X4OXluQ&ab_channel=TheWeekndVEVO

And before you say it's just 80s style music, it takes a lot of inspiration from 80s music but it most certainly doesn't sound like something that would release in the 80s. The production quality is just way too advanced in comparison and also other things which make it feel more modern.

Other songs like "Say So" and "Physical" had a similar thing going on with retro music inspiring it but with modern technological advancements making it feel richer and more advanced but unfortunately that died down very shortly and we went back to 10s style music after Covid hit.

Subject: Re: It would be great if this type of music would be the norm for the 20s

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 2:34 am

Me personally, I feel they should come up with something new and original. It's a new decade. We should have some new music to go with the times. That's what I tried to achieve on my song "Sunflower". Its a dance track but its modern Dance it sounds very modern and new. If you haven't listened to my song theres a link on my signature. It's a snippet, but it's worth listening to.

Subject: Re: It would be great if this type of music would be the norm for the 20s

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 8:33 am

Bring back Rock n Roll, and the music of the Swinging Sixties.

Written By: CarCar on 07/08/21 at 9:23 am

Me personally, I feel they should come up with something new and original. It's a new decade. We should have some new music to go with the times. That's what I tried to achieve on my song "Sunflower". Its a dance track but its modern Dance it sounds very modern and new. If you haven't listened to my song theres a link on my signature. It's a snippet, but it's worth listening to.

How exactly do you even come up with something original ? Like how does that even happen ?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 9:28 am

How exactly do you even come up with something original ? Like how does that even happen ?

There are so many artists that do come up with original music. Charlie Puth is one if them. It just takes a lot of creativity and studio time but its possible.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 9:53 am

There are so many artists that do come up with original music. Charlie Puth is one if them. It just takes a lot of creativity and studio time but its possible.

You said you were mad at Charlie Puth and cancelled your date with him because you didn't want to marry somebody famous.
Is it back on?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 9:57 am

Do you mean NOW or EVER? It used to be a daily occurrence with music in the 60s and 70s. But as to HOW it happened, that's a combination of many factors. I certainly would like to have been a fly on the wall at a Beatles recording session.

As for NOW...that theory keeps rearing it's head that we have come to "the end of ideas". Is that what you are referring to?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 9:59 am

Potential duet on the offering?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 10:02 am

Potential duet on the offering?

We think the summer date might be back on.  :-*

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 10:32 am

We think the summer date might be back on.  :-*
Can we wait, for this summer date?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 10:55 am

Can we wait, for this summer date?

Jess broke off from the dating game
because she did not want to marry fame
But summer comes from winter rain
The date with Charlie is on again!

Written By: Emman on 07/08/21 at 11:02 am

Do you mean NOW or EVER? It used to be a daily occurrence with music in the 60s and 70s. But as to HOW it happened, that's a combination of many factors. I certainly would like to have been a fly on the wall at a Beatles recording session.

As for NOW...that theory keeps rearing it's head that we have come to "the end of ideas". Is that what you are referring to?

Isn't it something that older people(like over 30) are chastising younger people now for being uncreative, conformist, and nonrebellious. ;D
It used to be don't trust anyone over 30 because they're too set in familiar ways and risk averse, now look at all these people in their teens/early 20s going on obsessively about nostalgia for their childhoods, a completely backwards gaze.

There was a time when US culture had more vitality and creativity, this seemed to be the arch of the whole 20th century.

The "how do you come up with something new" question would have rarely applied to most of the 20th century decades, it's during this cultural stasis when many people can't even imagine something novel coming along. You have to remember this stagnant period started around the late 1990s, many people were born into this, they have little direct experiential references points from before, their expectations are different.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 11:14 am

Jess broke off from the dating game
because she did not want to marry fame
But summer comes from winter rain
The date with Charlie is on again!

A date has come,
With summer done,
To shake off the winter blues,
A date, a meet,
With a bite to eat,
She may even wear her Jelly Shoes?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/08/21 at 11:15 am

Well, the date is off. We're just too busy. He's more of the mainstream musician. I'm Indie. Musicians are always busy. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 11:40 am

In order for a music survival
There should be a Beatles revival,
Which Paul and Ringo can both play
Guitar strumming, drums hit hard
And for Sir Richard,
Birthday wishes for yesterday.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/08/21 at 11:45 am

I think it’s harder to come up with something new, because you’re exposed to so much. Most things you make are going to be influenced by the things you’ve heard. Now with a few clicks you can draw comparisons to things that have out of circulation for decades. That little known song you heard as a kid and hasn’t been played on the radio in 40 years, it’s out there now. Of course for the most part you gotta be young to become a star, so those people never heard that rare stuff anyway. Anything made in the last 20 years was circulated over the internet from day one.

I think record companies have a lot to do with it too. If you do come up with something totally different, they’re like “that won’t sell”. For stuff new and experimental you probably gotta look for local artists or indie artists.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 12:10 pm

Well, the date is off. We're just too busy. He's more of the mainstream musician. I'm Indie. Musicians are always busy. :\'(

Well that would certainly explain it!

It looks like we have at last cleared up all the mysteries Jessica has presented us with here in the past few months:

1) The engagement---OFF

2) The adoption of an Indian child---clarified to be a sponsorship (or potential sponsorship) of an Indian child already residing in the US.

3) The date with 29 year old musician Charlie Puth---cancelled due to conflicting schedules and artistic differences.

Whew! It's quite a chore to keep us with Jess's social calendar as presented to us here.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 12:18 pm

Well that would certainly explain it!

It looks like we have at last cleared up all the mysteries Jessica has presented us with here in the past few months:

1) The engagement---OFF

2) The adoption of an Indian child---clarified to be a sponsorship (or potential sponsorship) of an Indian child already residing in the US.

3) The date with 29 year old musician Charlie Puth---cancelled due to conflicting schedules and artistic differences.

Whew! It's quite a chore to keep us with Jess's social calendar as presented to us here.  :D

It is all falling into place now, especially when two of Charlie Puth's singles are "One Call Away" and "We Don't Talk Anymore" (not to be confused with the Cliff Richard 1979 hit).

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/08/21 at 3:05 pm

This is original. You can tell this would be impossible to be released in the 80s. And music from pretty much every decade after like the 80s or so is inspired by something in one way or another.

Seriously, the only thing left at this point is hyperpop or perhaps robot vocals music. There's no new ground to break.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 3:29 pm

This is original. You can tell this would be impossible to be released in the 80s. And music from pretty much every decade after like the 80s or so is inspired by something in one way or another.

Seriously, the only thing left at this point is hyperpop or perhaps robot vocals music. There's no new ground to break.

You fall on the side of the "end of history" theory.

The end of history is a political and philosophical concept that supposes that a particular political, economic, or social system may develop that would constitute the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution .

A postmodern understanding of the term differs in that:

The idea of an "end of history" does not imply that nothing more will ever happen. Rather, what the postmodern sense of an end of history tends to signify is, in the words of contemporary historian Keith Jenkins, the idea that "the peculiar ways in which the past was historicized (was conceptualized in modernist, linear and essentially metanarrative forms) has now come to an end of its productive life; the all-encompassing 'experiment of modernity' ... is passing away into our postmodern condition".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_history

DEFINIELY sounds lie what you are saying! Did you study it in school? I wouldn't be surprised if you came tot he conclusion yourself.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/08/21 at 3:34 pm

The end of history is a political and philosophical concept that supposes that a particular political, economic, or social system may develop that would constitute the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution .

The idea of an "end of history" does not imply that nothing more will ever happen. Rather, what the postmodern sense of an end of history tends to signify is, in the words of contemporary historian Keith Jenkins, the idea that "the peculiar ways in which the past was historicized (was conceptualized in modernist, linear and essentially metanarrative forms) has now come to an end of its productive life; the all-encompassing 'experiment of modernity' ... is passing away into our postmodern condition".

DEFINIELY sounds lie what you are saying! Did you study it in school? I wouldn't be surprised if you came tot he conclusion yourself.

I never said culture as a whole has stagnated. But pop music definitely seems to have.

How do you think pop music can change then? Hyperpop?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 3:37 pm

I never said culture as a whole has stagnated. But pop music definitely seems to have.

How do you think pop music can change then? Hyperpop?

You're hedging your bets. Pop music is a symptom of culture as a whole.

Hyperpop cannot BE the change since it already exists. It would likely be something that has no name yet.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/08/21 at 3:42 pm

You're hedging your bets. Pop music is a symptom of culture as a whole.

Hyperpop cannot BE the change since it already exists. It would likely be something that has no name yet.

Culture as a whole can refer to fashion, tech, politics, gaming, etc. Which are completely different topics that are separated from music.

Hyperpop exists but isn't technically pop right now since it isn't mainstream.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/21 at 3:43 pm

Bring back Rock n Roll, and the music of the Swinging Sixties.

Bring back disco.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/21 at 3:45 pm

So I guess he'll start going out with others?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 3:59 pm

Culture as a whole can refer to fashion, tech, politics, gaming, etc. Which are completely different topics that are separated from music.

Hyperpop exists but isn't technically pop right now since it isn't mainstream.

Oh, I see you're only talking about mainstream pop. You're right about that, it's toast. It has essentially consumed itself. It will go. Start thinking outside the box about what will replace it, but it won't be under the umbrella of "pop". That's what I mean about no name yet.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/08/21 at 3:59 pm

Why I don’t play in a band anymore. Between playing and practice, it’s a full time job in itself. I already have a full time job. I would like to attend some occasional jam sessions when things bet back closer to normal.

Written By: Contigo on 07/08/21 at 4:17 pm

It did seem like a daily occurrence back in the 60s and 70s, 80s as well but not as much.  Yes, being a fly on the wall for any of those 60s/70s bands would have been glorious!

This is new to me "End of ideas" theory.  Will take a look

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/21 at 4:40 pm

Isn't it something that older people(like over 30) are chastising younger people now for being uncreative, conformist, and nonrebellious. ;D
It used to be don't trust anyone over 30 because they're too set in familiar ways and risk averse, now look at all these people in their teens/early 20s going on obsessively about nostalgia for their childhoods, a completely backwards gaze.

There was a time when US culture had more vitality and creativity, this seemed to be the arch of the whole 20th century.

The "how do you come up with something new" question would have rarely applied to most of the 20th century decades, it's during this cultural stasis when many people can't even imagine something novel coming along. You have to remember this stagnant period started around the late 1990s, many people were born into this, they have little direct experiential references points from before, their expectations are different.

So true, so true!! So true!! You don't post a lot here, but when you do it is always intelligent.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/21 at 8:14 pm

No, '20s music needs to be unique and new. Some genre we have never heard before. People need to invent some new and creative music.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/14/21 at 1:43 am

No, '20s music needs to be unique and new. Some genre we have never heard before. People need to invent some new and creative music.

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/217074539_531307861446814_3368019290290929986_n.png?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=Z-q57ElF-AIAX8jp7Fk&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-2.fna&oh=17a679991528e2e4ed1b3511e3a5774d&oe=60F3E205

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/21 at 10:12 pm

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/217074539_531307861446814_3368019290290929986_n.png?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=Z-q57ElF-AIAX8jp7Fk&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-2.fna&oh=17a679991528e2e4ed1b3511e3a5774d&oe=60F3E205

Why do you always act like hyper pop is the only genre in existence?  ???

Written By: CarCar on 07/15/21 at 12:38 am

How exactly do you think people create new and unique things ?

Even music genres like grunge was technically based off of 70s rock

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/15/21 at 1:55 am

Why do you always act like hyper pop is the only genre in existence?  ???

What other genres haven't been in the mainstream yet(not saying hyperpop should btw, it's garbage)? Pretty much everything has been exhausted at this point.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/15/21 at 11:09 am

What other genres haven't been in the mainstream yet(not saying hyperpop should btw, it's garbage)? Pretty much everything has been exhausted at this point.

"What other genres haven't been in the mainstream yet?" Umm... A new genre that doesn't exist yet? That's my whole point.

Check for new replies or respond here...