inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Microsoft to Bring Back Clippy

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/21 at 7:32 pm

Clippy, the much beloved Microsoft Windows help device, is coming back.  8)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/15/tech/microsoft-clippy-emoji/index.html

Subject: Re: Microsoft to Bring Back Clippy

Written By: nally on 07/15/21 at 8:20 pm

What? No! I didn't think Mr. Paperclip was that popular. :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/21 at 8:48 pm

I did my best to get rid of that silly thing. Wow to think it was 20 years ago when I was writing manuals for the same company I am at now.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/15/21 at 9:48 pm

I never used it. What exactly is it for?

Written By: nally on 07/15/21 at 10:41 pm

I never used it. What exactly is it for?

It was supposed to be something that could help you out with learning to use MS Word. If you were unsure how to do something, you could type the question in the little speech bubble that pops up with it.

Written By: karen on 07/16/21 at 4:37 am

“I see you are writing a letter. Would you like help with that?”

Written By: Howard on 07/16/21 at 4:40 am

It was supposed to be something that could help you out with learning to use MS Word. If you were unsure how to do something, you could type the question in the little speech bubble that pops up with it.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vRlXjKiEwMs0ShyHKvuc_nxSyW8=/1400x1050/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/15979182/clippy.jpg
You type a question for him to answer and he'll give you his response as best as possible.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/21 at 4:42 am

Had it one, hardly used it, never noticed it had gone.

Written By: nally on 07/16/21 at 8:45 am

Yeah, that was it. Sometimes he'd pop up against my will. I'd be like: No thank you, I'm fine with writing my letter; when I want your help I'll let you know!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/21 at 9:50 am

In writing a letter so long,
Would Clippy inform a word spelt wrong,
He kept popping up from day to day,
So you ended up sending him away!

Written By: Howard on 07/16/21 at 3:23 pm

https://office-watch.com/fredagg/uploads/add-office-clippy-to-your-web-page-15703.png
You can also have a magician, cat or dog as your office assistant too.

Written By: nally on 07/16/21 at 8:50 pm

https://office-watch.com/fredagg/uploads/add-office-clippy-to-your-web-page-15703.png
You can also have a magician, cat or dog as your office assistant too.

Yeah, those were the alternate characters. The dog is kinda cute though. :D

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/17/21 at 1:04 am

Yeah, those were the alternate characters. The dog is kinda cute though. :D

I remember seeing the dog before, but not the others besides clippy.

Written By: nally on 07/17/21 at 1:24 am

I remember seeing the dog before, but not the others besides clippy.

Merlin the wizard does look vaguely familiar, but he wasn't as popular/well-known as the dog and the clippy.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/21 at 7:07 am

Merlin the wizard does look vaguely familiar, but he wasn't as popular/well-known as the dog and the clippy.

I think I remember seeing Merlin The Wizard too.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/21 at 5:45 am

They need to think of something other than clippy.  I mean with the way technology is moving, paper and paperclips will one day become the 8-Track Tape of music lol

Written By: Howard on 07/19/21 at 7:07 am

They need to think of something other than clippy.  I mean with the way technology is moving, paper and paperclips will one day become the 8-Track Tape of music lol

They need to get new icons to represent the pop culture of today.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/19/21 at 11:11 am

My company tried to go paperless. Didn’t work. Might work for other companies though.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/21 at 1:19 am

My company tried to go paperless. Didn’t work. Might work for other companies though.

I used to work in a call centre and they went 100% paperless under orders from the client who were afraid that agents would write down customer credit card numbers.  By going paperless, this meant we were no longer allowed to read books in between calls and any pictures we had on our cubicle walls had to be laminated.  It was so ridiculous

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/20/21 at 7:41 pm

I used to work in a call centre and they went 100% paperless under orders from the client who were afraid that agents would write down customer credit card numbers.  By going paperless, this meant we were no longer allowed to read books in between calls and any pictures we had on our cubicle walls had to be laminated.  It was so ridiculous

The owner wanted to go paperless like 20 years ago. Well for one, it makes for a lot of costly rework because the human mind can’t see as much engineering detail on a screen as on a paper layout. Also they tried it with order documents, and most were scanned so poorly you couldn’t read them. Nobody checked anything, they just blindly scanned and dumped a bunch of stuff. Increasing the resolution would increase server size. To this day they won’t buy required server space or hardware so we can’t go 3D like customers want us to.

Check for new replies or respond here...