inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Tme in 7 years That Every Song in Billboard Top 10 is Pop (and not trap)?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/21 at 7:57 pm

Look

KBJL67QEBgg&ab_channel=BillboardTopSongs

Subject: Re: First Tme in 7 years That Every Song in Billboard Top 10 is Pop (and not trap)?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/21 at 3:11 pm

That's a good sign, although I'm not a fan of most of those songs much more than I am of trap. It seems to be for a younger audience, especially Olivia Rodrigo. Some of those songs are 2020 holdovers, like The Weekend's and Dua Lipa's. I really like Doja Cat's new album, it sounds a lot different from her previous album and I liked that one as well.

Subject: Re: First Tme in 7 years That Every Song in Billboard Top 10 is Pop (and not trap)?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/21/21 at 6:34 pm

Not a fan of current music but thank fu** that's dying down. Hopefully it stays that way.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/22/21 at 3:02 am

I follow the charts every week & didn't even realize this! I'm personally not sick of trap just yet but I'm still happy to see culture moving on. Altho most of this new pop is like trap-infused.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/22/21 at 3:01 pm

If it wasn't for pandemic last year I think 2021 would have been seen as the changeful/pivotal/transitional year from the late 2010's to early 2020's culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/21 at 3:14 pm

If it wasn't for pandemic last year I think 2021 would have been seen as the changeful/pivotal/transitional year from the late 2010's to early 2020's culture.

I still think pandemic or not, 2020 would have been the pivotal transitional year. But in all honestly 2019 was when most pop culture changed (Mandelorean, Billie Eilish, fast music, etc.)

Written By: passthegabagool on 07/27/21 at 2:54 pm

I prefer the relatively new Melodic Trap over the same old throwback pop tracks we've had for the past decade. All I'ma say.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/21 at 3:43 pm

I still think pandemic or not, 2020 would have been the pivotal transitional year. But in all honestly 2019 was when most pop culture changed (Mandelorean, Billie Eilish, fast music, etc.)

I just don't get how this "Mandalorian" thing is a signifier of anything. A TV show on the Disney streaming service, of all things. Hardly a game changer by any means.  It will come and go. Most people have never even seen it. I think you're grasping at straws with that one.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/21 at 7:28 pm

I just don't get how this "Mandalorian" thing is a signifier of anything. A TV show on the Disney streaming service, of all things. Hardly a game changer by any means.  It will come and go. Most people have never even seen it. I think you're grasping at straws with that one.

Umm it's like the number 1 show in America.. And the characters of the show have become pop culture references.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/21 at 7:39 pm

Umm it's like the number 1 show in America.. And the characters of the show have become pop culture references.

It's simply not a game changer. It's not "All In The Family". It's not even "The Sopranos". There is no monoculture anymore and because something might be a #1 streaming show does not mean everybody is familiar with it, just like having a #1 song these days is pretty meaningless. In fact, it means nothing. There is no center these days. The Mandalorian will come and go. It won't leave an impact. It's not "Star Trek".

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/21 at 7:43 pm

It's simply not a game changer. It's not "All In The Family". It's not even "The Sopranos". There is no monoculture anymore and because something might be a #1 streaming show does not mean everybody is familiar with it, just like having a #1 song these days is pretty meaningless. In fact, it means nothing. There is no center these days. The Mandalorian will come and go. It won't leave an impact. It's not "Star Trek".

It's a very big deal and it was the mark of cultural change.. That TV show is huge... Every kid in America practically has a Grogu/Baby Yoda doll... No offense but you must be living under a rock.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/21 at 8:05 pm

2019 and 2020 brought changes for EARLY 2020s culture NOT core 2020s.

Written By: CarCar on 07/30/21 at 8:45 am

It's a very big deal and it was the mark of cultural change.. That TV show is huge... Every kid in America practically has a Grogu/Baby Yoda doll... No offense but you must be living under a rock.

Disney+ was released in 2019 and ever since then many movies that were eventually gonna go to the big screen ended becoming streamable.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/21 at 10:33 am

Disney+ was released in 2019 and ever since then many movies that were eventually gonna go to the big screen ended becoming streamable.

Yeah I forgot to mention Disney+ and other streaming services apart from Netflix also kicked off in 2019. People completely miss all of the cultural changes that occurred in 2019. Not a generational change, but definitely an era change like going from mid '10s to late '10s. In 2019 we started going from late '10s to early '20s culture-wise. And I predict the next generational change when it comes to pop culture (we already had it in 2020 when it came to everything else because of the pandemic) I predict it will be for the mid '20s in 2023 or 2024, hopefully earlier though.

Written By: CarCar on 07/30/21 at 11:59 am

Yeah I forgot to mention Disney+ and other streaming services apart from Netflix also kicked off in 2019. People completely miss all of the cultural changes that occurred in 2019. Not a generational change, but definitely an era change like going from mid '10s to late '10s. In 2019 we started going from late '10s to early '20s culture-wise. And I predict the next generational change when it comes to pop culture (we already had it in 2020 when it came to everything else because of the pandemic) I predict it will be for the mid '20s in 2023 or 2024, hopefully earlier though.

2019 marked the transition into the 2020s. Idk why nobody else sees it, we’re definitely in a new decade now.

Pop stars like Pop Smoke(dead but more popular now then ever in the late 2010s) became more familiar in the early part of the decade, Billie Ellish, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Doha Cat, Lil Nas X and Olivia Rodrigo marked a departure from the 2010s style music.

There’s a clear aesthetic to the decade now that’s pretty visible in music videos such as Mood by 24kgolden, the 2000s now feel like a world apart from the beginning to end, the Paino melody used in songs at the time make it so dated.

m60XKqEEnfg
2000s vibe

GrAchTdepsU
2020s vibe

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/21 at 8:42 pm

2019 marked the transition into the 2020s. Idk why nobody else sees it, we’re definitely in a new decade now.

Pop stars like Pop Smoke(dead but more popular now then ever in the late 2010s) became more familiar in the early part of the decade, Billie Ellish, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Doha Cat, Lil Nas X and Olivia Rodrigo marked a departure from the 2010s style music.

There’s a clear aesthetic to the decade now that’s pretty visible in music videos such as Mood by 24kgolden, the 2000s now feel like a world apart from the beginning to end, the Paino melody used in songs at the time make it so dated.

m60XKqEEnfg
2000s vibe

GrAchTdepsU
2020s vibe

I prefer the first video. Even though the lyrics aren't great in either one, I do like the beat more in the first over the second one.

Written By: CarCar on 08/17/21 at 11:22 am

I prefer the first video. Even though the lyrics aren't great in either one, I do like the beat more in the first over the second one.

Depends on you’re taste, the first one has a classical vibe too it now, the piano really helps with that. The second video is more fun and vibrant.

Check for new replies or respond here...