inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hyperloop: The Future of Travel

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/21 at 8:09 pm

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/all-aboard-hyperloop-how-your-commute-could-be-changing-2021-07-19/

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/19/hyperloop-question-and-answer-latest-updates/

I AM SO PUMPED! They say this could come out as early as 2025... Welcome to the future folks.  8)

Subject: Re: Hyperloop: The Future of Travel

Written By: violet_shy on 07/20/21 at 9:27 pm

Finally something that looks promising for the present/future! I like it. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/21 at 9:39 pm

No mention of cost. Will it be affordable to take this conveyance?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/21 at 10:33 pm

No mention of cost. Will it be affordable to take this conveyance?

It shouldn't be more than a plane ticket.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/21 at 10:33 pm

This is what the passenger experience will be like

-zSWagCyWio

Written By: Howard on 07/21/21 at 5:54 am

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/all-aboard-hyperloop-how-your-commute-could-be-changing-2021-07-19/

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/19/hyperloop-question-and-answer-latest-updates/

I AM SO PUMPED! They say this could come out as early as 2025... Welcome to the future folks.  8)

That would be so cool.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/21/21 at 10:54 am

Sounds interesting but I get the feeling that nothing will happen in 2027 and it will either be delayed until the 30s or 40s or be scrapped. I remember when people predicted google glasses to be the next smartphone, AI and other advancements to happen in the 10s which haven't came to pass.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/21/21 at 11:04 am

Sounds interesting but I get the feeling that nothing will happen in 2027 and it will either be delayed until the 30s or 40s or be scrapped. I remember when people predicted google glasses to be the next smartphone, AI and other advancements to happen in the 10s which haven't came to pass.

Google Glass tanked. 

Why Did Google Glass Fail?
www.vizaca.com/google-glass-things/

Excerpt:

Unfortunately, the Glass failed because the inventors excluded defining and validating the users and what difficulties it was solving for them. Instead, they determined the product would sell itself even without actual solutions or importance, that its hype would be sufficient to appeal to everyone.

There was no unity among the inventors about the core use cases of Google Glass. One group claimed that it could be worn all day as a popular device while another thought it should be worn for particular utilitarian functions. Either way, both assumed that Glass’ publicity would urge users to believe in the product and use it accordingly.

The designers failed to completely define what development they were providing for their target users. Once Google Glass was released, it did not provide meaningful benefits to its first users, a select group that paid to be early adopters. Google Glass did not provide enough advancement for users compared to older technologies making the product a useless supplementation to their daily lives.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/21 at 1:35 pm

You can't compare this to Google Glass lol

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/21/21 at 10:51 pm

Sounds cool but I don’t see it happening. We can’t even afford to fix a mile of road or bridge in most places. Could only imagine the cost of this per mile.

Also what happens if something happens, the ground shifts or something becomes misaligned, and you come to a sudden halt at that speed. G forces you probably wouldn’t survive.

I could see them doing this in Europe. If they haven’t already. They always seem to do the high tech stuff before us.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/21 at 11:02 pm

Sounds cool but I don’t see it happening. We can’t even afford to fix a mile of road or bridge in most places. Could only imagine the cost of this per mile.

Also what happens if something happens, the ground shifts or something becomes misaligned, and you come to a sudden halt at that speed. G forces you probably wouldn’t survive.

I could see them doing this in Europe. If they haven’t already. They always seem to do the high tech stuff before us.

You sound like the people in the 1900s who thought airplanes couldn't possibly work because it was too dangerous and expensive lol.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/21/21 at 11:26 pm

You sound like the people in the 1900s who thought airplanes couldn't possibly work because it was too dangerous and expensive lol.

Airplanes don’t require precision tubes built the length of the trip, in order to function.

Supersonic flight for passengers would be more viable. We already can do that.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/21 at 5:51 am

Google Glass tanked. 

www.vizaca.com/google-glass-things/

Excerpt:

Unfortunately, the Glass failed because the inventors excluded defining and validating the users and what difficulties it was solving for them. Instead, they determined the product would sell itself even without actual solutions or importance, that its hype would be sufficient to appeal to everyone.

There was no unity among the inventors about the core use cases of Google Glass. One group claimed that it could be worn all day as a popular device while another thought it should be worn for particular utilitarian functions. Either way, both assumed that Glass’ publicity would urge users to believe in the product and use it accordingly.

The designers failed to completely define what development they were providing for their target users. Once Google Glass was released, it did not provide meaningful benefits to its first users, a select group that paid to be early adopters. Google Glass did not provide enough advancement for users compared to older technologies making the product a useless supplementation to their daily lives.

Wasn't Google Glass like spy glasses?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/21 at 7:57 am

Airplanes don’t require precision tubes built the length of the trip, in order to function.

Supersonic flight for passengers would be more viable. We already can do that.

Sitting in a tube thousands of miles above the ground is more dangerous and less viable than sitting in a tube on the ground.

Anyways, your comment will not age well years from now when we have these as the main transportation source.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/21 at 1:18 pm

Sitting in a tube thousands of miles above the ground is more dangerous and less viable than sitting in a tube on the ground.

Anyways, your comment will not age well years from now when we have these as the main transportation source.

They might work for awhile, but everything requires regular maintenance. Which would shut down the whole thing. It would work better in space where you don’t have weather and other things degrading it constantly.

Airplanes only became viable because of a strict maintenance schedule. And enough of them to stay in rotation. If they were built to last, they would never get off the ground.

You’re free to laugh at my comments all you want. I’ve been an engineer for 25 years so I do know a thing or two.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/22/21 at 1:29 pm

They might work for awhile, but everything requires regular maintenance. Which would shut down the whole thing. It would work better in space where you don’t have weather and other things degrading it constantly.

Airplanes only became viable because of a strict maintenance schedule. And enough of them to stay in rotation. If they were built to last, they would never get off the ground.

You’re free to laugh at my comments all you want. I’ve been an engineer for 25 years so I do know a thing or two.

I agree with you completely. All modes of transportation need constant maintenance and have a tendency to break down, and all are subject to weather. This new mode is no different. 

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/21 at 3:12 pm

I think everyone will laugh at your comments once this becomes the main form of transport a couple of years from now.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/21 at 4:28 pm

I think everyone will laugh at your comments once this becomes the main form of transport a couple of years from now.

Looking forward to it. ;D I’ve been on here almost 20 years, what’s a few more.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 6:07 am

In what ways?

Check for new replies or respond here...