inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ways 2021 is different from 2020

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/22/21 at 3:09 pm

Just to be clear, I didn't mean for this to be a discussion on whether or not 2021 is changeful, but rather specific things that are different about this year. You can discuss events, culture, or personal life.

I'll start it off with events and culture since they kind of go hand-in-hand:

- President Joe Biden
- Vaccine rollouts
- Returning to normal though not the same as pre-pandemic
- More pop music and less trap as mentioned in another thread

In my personal life:

- No longer have Facebook (best decision I made!)
- Getting vaccinated (other best decision I made)
- No #socialdistancing posts
- No mask selfies (just to show I'm wearing one)
- No arguing politics on social media (also because I deactivated FB)
- No longer renting Netflix DVD's (a little late but I was still doing that) thanks to more streaming apps with available movies
- No longer watching shows on my Direct TV app (also thanks to more streaming apps with available shows)

Subject: Re: Ways 2021 is different from 2020

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/22/21 at 6:20 pm

2020:

- Chaotic and crazy(this isn't just referring to COVID btw. BLM Riots, Seattle temporarily becoming it's own de-facto country ruled by a gangbanger warlord under an anarchist regime. The $h** flinging presidential debate, trump getting 'rona, lil "pimp" endorsing trump in one of his rallies, WW3 threats at the very start, Australia on fire, etc)

- Pessimistic

- Far left BLM Riots

- Covid shock(remember when people were completely freaking out when lockdown started and then started panic buying toilet paper?)

- President Trump

- Everyone locked indoors and many people had to put their job on hold

- Trap/Mumble Rap is still kind of popular although not to the same extent as the late 10s.

- Gamers are excited over next gen consoles

2021:

- More stable feel as we've gotten used to the "new normal"

- Less shocking events

- People are optimistic because of the vaccine rollout

- Far right capital hill riots

- President Biden

- Covid doesn't seem to be seen as much as a threat now and more people are getting sick of lockdown

- Trap/Mumble Rap is pretty much dead now

- Next gen consoles are here

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/23/21 at 3:35 am

Musically things are shifting toward... something. It's not hyperpop (yet) but it's definitely not the same trap stuff that was still thriving last year. I dropped politics since the election (I suspect many others did too) b/c things were just too toxic. So this year's felt so much nicer without all the political discourse.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 6:05 am

2020 was a painful and terrible year as for 2021 we're starting to get back to normal.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/26/21 at 1:01 pm

2020 was a painful and terrible year as for 2021 we're starting to get back to normal.

Starting to get back to normal or getting used to the new "normal", but it hasn't all been a smooth transition. Also some circumstances are the same if not worse than in 2020. With the Delta variant, the COVID case numbers are looking like they did this time last year, particularly in the Southern states, especially Florida. Also in the US, gun violence is even worse with more shootings and killings.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/558768-2021-now-on-track-to-be-the-deadliest-year-of-gun

Written By: Howard on 07/26/21 at 3:23 pm

Starting to get back to normal or getting used to the new "normal", but it hasn't all been a smooth transition. Also some circumstances are the same if not worse than in 2020. With the Delta variant, the COVID case numbers are looking like they did this time last year, particularly in the Southern states, especially Florida. Also in the US, gun violence is even worse with more shootings and killings.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/558768-2021-now-on-track-to-be-the-deadliest-year-of-gun

I guess some people are trying to get used to the new normal and some of them don't like the new normal.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/28/21 at 3:19 pm

I guess some people are trying to get used to the new normal and some of them don't like the new normal.

There's one thing from the old and new normal that I don't care for which is commuting in traffic as most companies insist on everyone coming back to the office. I miss just walking down the stairs to the home office in the basement and having meetings on Zoom.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/21 at 7:10 am

There's one thing from the old and new normal that I don't care for which is commuting in traffic as most companies insist on everyone coming back to the office. I miss just walking down the stairs to the home office in the basement and having meetings on Zoom.

I just miss having face to face conversations instead of talking to people on Zoom.

Check for new replies or respond here...