inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What’s the oldest device that you still use?

Written By: duenas8 on 07/22/21 at 9:59 pm

My CRT Daewoo TV from 2003-05 is still operative to this day in my kitchen. What’s yours?

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_965996-MLV42438886719_072020-O.jpg

Subject: Re: What’s the oldest device that you still use?

Written By: kr37 on 07/22/21 at 10:22 pm

Good question!  :) I'm sure there are some devices I use that are quite old, like furniture, but talking just about devices like computers/TVs/tablets/phones etc., I don't think any of them are older than about 5 years. Both my computer and my type of phone are from 2017. I have an iPod Touch from about 2009 but I don't use it much, though it still works.

We used to have a Daewoo TV too. I remember one of my teachers had a Daewoo car. I was really interested in cars at the time, so I remember Daewoo cars even though they were only sold for a few years in the US, in the late 1990s and early 2000s. So, I noticed that the TV had the same brand as a car!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/22/21 at 10:54 pm

Fun question! I've got a Sony cassette Walkman from the 80s that I use. Sometimes I even hook it up to a larger stereo system. I've got a Technics double cassette deck also from the 80s or maybe 90s. That's just off the top of my head. If I look around I know I've got some older stuff. I don't know if all my albums count, which I started collecting in the 1960s.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/23/21 at 3:30 am

I've been playing the Wii a lot lately! Over the Hedge (GameCube) & Rhythm Heaven Fever recently

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/21 at 4:24 am

The other day I hooked up my original Atari 7800 that I've had since around 1986 or so and was  disappointed to learn my cartridge of Food Fight does not work anymore. 

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 5:57 am

The other day I hooked up my original Atari 7800 that I've had since around 1986 or so and was  disappointed to learn my cartridge of Food Fight does not work anymore.

Maybe it could be time to sell it?  ???

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 5:59 am

I don't use it but I still have it, it's my Gameboy from 30 years ago, I doubt that it still works from all the wear and tear that occurred.
https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/images/article/magazine/test2007/gg_greatestgadget_f.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/21 at 2:35 am

Maybe it could be time to sell it?  ???

I'm a hardcore game collector.  I keep just about everything, even if it doesn't work because one day I might be able to get it working

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/21 at 7:57 am

I have a Grid laptop from ‘87.  8)

https://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/gridcase-2/CIMG3364.JPG

Written By: violet_shy on 07/24/21 at 8:51 am

I still have and use my mini CD/cassette player/radio once in a while. My parents gave it to me as a Christmas gift in 1997. It's the oldest device I own.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/21 at 8:56 am

This was a tough one. We are talking devices. That I still use.

I have an Ampeg bass amp and 3 Hammond organs from the 60s in the garage, but I don’t really use them anymore, at least right now.

I thought my c-band receiver was older, but after checking I was disappointed to find it’s only 1992.

2 of my cars including my wagon are 1989.

So probably the winner is my Peavey Mark IV bass amp, which I use in the house and if I ever go play with anyone. From 1982.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63152.0;attach=33671

Written By: Wink-182 on 07/24/21 at 9:15 am

Probably the plasma TV in my room, a 2011 model Sanyo that my family bought back in 2012 when were moving into our new house.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/21 at 9:35 am

This was a tough one. We are talking devices. That I still use.

3 Hammond organs from the 60s in the garage

You have 3 Hammond organs in the garage?  :o  :o  :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/21 at 10:14 am

You have 3 Hammond organs in the garage?  :o  :o  :o

Yes unfortunately none are a B3 or any of the highly sought after ones. Just some spinets but they do have the real tonewheels. They all work. Two L-100s with tubes that I got for free. And a T-422, solid state, that I got for $50. It was my baby. I redid the internal foam. I built a preamp with Russian vacuum tubes from plans online to give it a little sizzle. Tweaked the heck out of it. I had all 3 of these in my old house as I had a music room downstairs. This house isn’t so conducive to that. Everything is upstairs or in the basement so I haven’t hauled any of them in.

I also have a bunch of Leslie parts because at one time I was going to build my own cabinet. Still might sometime.

And I have the guts of a Kimball Temptation from about 1980 wired up in a crate that I would play sometimes at home. The only reason I kept it is because it sounds closer to a Solina String Ensemble than anything else I got.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/21 at 11:39 am

Yes unfortunately none are a B3 or any of the highly sought after ones. Just some spinets but they do have the real tonewheels. They all work. Two L-100s with tubes that I got for free. And a T-422, solid state, that I got for $50. It was my baby. I redid the internal foam. I built a preamp with Russian vacuum tubes from plans online to give it a little sizzle. Tweaked the heck out of it. I had all 3 of these in my old house as I had a music room downstairs. This house isn’t so conducive to that. Everything is upstairs or in the basement so I haven’t hauled any of them in.

I also have a bunch of Leslie parts because at one time I was going to build my own cabinet. Still might sometime.

And I have the guts of a Kimball Temptation from about 1980 wired up in a crate that I would play sometimes at home. The only reason I kept it is because it sounds closer to a Solina String Ensemble than anything else I got.

I just may have to pay you a visit soon to see what else you have hanging around there. Has American Pickers ever come to see you?  ;D

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/24/21 at 12:38 pm

Not device but I’ve got lots of files on my EHD that have
Been decanted from computer to computer since 1995 when I first got on the web. WBS chat was my real find online.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/21 at 2:19 pm

I'm a hardcore game collector.  I keep just about everything, even if it doesn't work because one day I might be able to get it working

I'm keeping my Gameboy console for many years I probably won't sell it because of the condition it's been in for almost 30 years.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/21 at 2:20 pm

I have a Grid laptop from ‘87.  8)

https://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/gridcase-2/CIMG3364.JPG

And you still use it after 34 years? :o

Written By: nally on 07/24/21 at 3:37 pm

I'm keeping my Gameboy console for many years I probably won't sell it because of the condition it's been in for almost 30 years.

I've had mine for exactly 30 years (this month) and I intend to keep it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/21 at 4:11 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention I have an iPod Classic that dates back to at least 2004. By far not the oldest device I have, but one I use regularly. It's vastly superior to the rigamarole of listening to music on a phone with Spotify or some such. With the wheel it's extremely easy to manipulate with one hand while in one's pocket. You can be standing on a bus, train, etc, or just strolling down the boulevard.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/24/21 at 5:23 pm

I haven’t used it in a while, but I guess it’s still technically “in use,” namely my Gameboy Advance from 2002.

If that doesn’t count, the runner-up would be my wife’s DVD player from when we were still dating. So that’s at least 2009. She doesn’t know how old it is exactly, but we’ve had it at least since then.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/21 at 6:51 pm

And you still use it after 34 years? :o

I use it to show the youngsters how we computed “back in the day”.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/24/21 at 7:28 pm

I use it to show the youngsters how we computed “back in the day”.  ;D

Speaking of back in the day, I remember the old pre-Windows DOS system computers. What a pain. No mouse, a lot of arrowing back and forth and up and down. Tedious. And those old dot matrix printers that took forever to print anything out with that unattractive green and white striped paper.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/21 at 7:32 pm

I just may have to pay you a visit soon to see what else you have hanging around there. Has American Pickers ever come to see you?  ;D

Haha nope. But I don’t have old sheds full of old stuff. Now maybe by the time I get to the age of some of the homeowners on the show….

Most of my music stuff is from the late 80s or early 90s. A handful of keyboards I picked up for cheap, just to play around with the sounds, all from the 80s. Peavey Minx practice amp from 1986, use that one upstairs. 3 of my basses. Some pedals.

Even my newest vehicle is a 1996 Jeep.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/21 at 7:36 pm

Speaking of back in the day, I remember the old pre-Windows DOS system computers. What a pain. No mouse, a lot of arrowing back and forth and up and down. Tedious. And those old dot matrix printers that took forever to print anything out with that unattractive green and white striped paper.

Yes and having to type all the commands, and doing it perfectly. There was no suggestion or autocorrect.

I got pretty good at it in the late 90s when I got my first computer, because Windows 3.1 was just a pretty face that rode on top of DOS.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/24/21 at 7:49 pm

Yes and having to type all the commands, and doing it perfectly. There was no suggestion or autocorrect.

I got pretty good at it in the late 90s when I got my first computer, because Windows 3.1 was just a pretty face that rode on top of DOS.

Not DOS, but I really loved loved loved the 80's-/early 90's- versions of the DEC VAX/VMS systems.  (Perhaps I was biased - I was employed as a co-op student by their parent company Digital Equipment Corporation, and came to know their systems really well as a result.)  Even as a computer professional myself, Windows systems took some getting used to.  I always thought the early Windows versions looked like Apple Macintosh ripoffs.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/21 at 9:00 pm

Not DOS, but I really loved loved loved the 80's-/early 90's- versions of the DEC VAX/VMS systems.  (Perhaps I was biased - I was employed as a co-op student by their parent company Digital Equipment Corporation, and came to know their systems really well as a result.)  Even as a computer professional myself, Windows systems took some getting used to.  I always thought the early Windows versions looked like Apple Macintosh ripoffs.

It pretty much was a ripoff as far as interface. I believe Microsoft got sued but “look and feel” wasn’t something that could be copyrighted or patented.

But it wasn’t Apple’s idea either. It came from an OS by Xerox I think, in the 70s, that never really came to fruition.

I loved IBM CADAM which I used at my last job. It ran off a mainframe. It did everything you needed for mechanical engineering and nothing more.

At my current job we use a flat pattern layout software called TransPak. DOS program from 1990. When we went to Windows 7 at first we couldn’t use it. Just for kicks I called up the number on the software and got something like “hey sexy guy, wanna have some fun tonight”. So I ended up using DOSBOX so we could run it, and we still do.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/21 at 7:17 am

I've had mine for exactly 30 years (this month) and I intend to keep it.

I can't remember the last I tried it to see if it still works.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/21 at 5:33 pm

I don't keep old devices. All of the tech I use is fairly new.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/25/21 at 5:34 pm

I've been playing the Wii a lot lately! Over the Hedge (GameCube) & Rhythm Heaven Fever recently

That's probably it. I've been playing mostly Gamecube games on there. I also have a PS2 but I rarely use it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/25/21 at 5:41 pm

A clock radio made in the 1980s. It still functions well after all these years.

I had a Radio Shack clock radio from the 80s that I used for an alarm clock  that only bit the dust last year. Actually the radio and the clock parts still worked, only the alarm function died.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/21 at 5:55 pm

On second thought I do keep an old watch from the 2000s in my drawe just in case.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/25/21 at 7:38 pm

Do they have to be electronic devices?

Written By: Sman12 on 07/26/21 at 4:05 am

I got an original PS1, but it doesn't work anymore.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/26/21 at 4:30 am

I still have my clock radio but I don't know if it's from The 1980's.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/21 at 4:32 am

That's probably it. I've been playing mostly Gamecube games on there. I also have a PS2 but I rarely use it.

I had a PS2 but I traded it in for a PS3.

Written By: karen on 07/26/21 at 1:09 pm

We recently came across an old HewlettPackard ipaq palmtop thing. Don’t use it any more, but I bet it still works. That would date from late 99 or maybe early 00s.

One thing we still use include the stereo system. I think we bought a new amp for it in the early 90s when the original stopped working. The turntable is my husbands from the mid 80s, and the cassette player is probably a similar vintage.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/26/21 at 1:24 pm

I got an original PS1, but it doesn't work anymore.  :\'(

I actually have an N64, but it also doesn't work so I didn't count it since I'm not technically using it.

I had a PS2 but I traded it in for a PS3.

I think I did the same when I got the original PS3. However when I had to replace it, the newer PS3 models were not backward compatible with PS2 games so I had to buy one from Amazon.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/21 at 3:20 pm

I actually have an N64, but it also doesn't work so I didn't count it since I'm not technically using it.

I think I did the same when I got the original PS3. However when I had to replace it, the newer PS3 models were not backward compatible with PS2 games so I had to buy one from Amazon.

Was it the big fat notebook version?

Written By: nally on 08/07/21 at 3:06 pm

I can't remember the last I tried it to see if it still works.

I last used my Gameboy ten years ago.

All you gotta do is pop in some fresh batteries, stick in a game cartridge, and turn it on.

Written By: nally on 08/07/21 at 3:08 pm

That's great!

I have a clock radio that was new in the 1990s (I got it as a Christmas gift in 1994) and it still seems to work fairly well. However, the radio part seems to be on full blast, even if I turn the volume dial down all the way. But it keeps time perfectly fine.

Written By: nally on 08/07/21 at 3:09 pm

Do they have to be electronic devices?

Good question. I'm trying to think of a non-electronic device that I own.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/21 at 6:49 pm

My Kobo eReader from 2013. I go to sleep with it every night!

I also use my 3DS from 2011 every now and then. There are a lot of games I still haven't played.

In terms of oldest device I have, it would be my Nintendo 64 from 1998. I'm not sure when I last used it, must've been the mid-2000s.

edit: I just remembered the TV in my office is from 2010. I don't watch any TV though; rather I programmed my Chromecast to display a dashboard with my productivity stats onto my TV. It keeps me motivated.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/21 at 6:55 am

I last used my Gameboy ten years ago.

All you gotta do is pop in some fresh batteries, stick in a game cartridge, and turn it on.

I need some fresh batteries myself too for The Gameboy.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/08/21 at 4:21 pm

I found this picture on the internet. I think a transistor radio collection would be a cool thing to have. I thought of it for this thread because I have a couple of old radios (not transistors), but I never use them because I don't really listen to the radio anymore. But these are cool.

https://keener13.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Mike-Thomas-Vintage-Transistor-Radio-Collection-Close-Up-768x385.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/09/21 at 4:14 am

I found this picture on the internet. I think a transistor radio collection would be a cool thing to have. I thought of it for this thread because I have a couple of old radios (not transistors), but I never use them because I don't really listen to the radio anymore. But these are cool.

https://keener13.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Mike-Thomas-Vintage-Transistor-Radio-Collection-Close-Up-768x385.jpg

Wow, that's really cool to have a collection of old radios. O0

Check for new replies or respond here...