inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dababy in Hot Water over HIV comments made at rolling loud

Written By: CarCar on 07/30/21 at 12:08 pm

https://www.billboard.com/photos/9608086/dababy-rolling-loud-homophobic-comments-controversy-timeline/

With stigma around hiv/aids having lessened over the decades since the 80s, something like this just seems very unlikely to happen in the US but when it happens the ignorance is astounding. Dababy has recently come into hot waters with his former collaborator Dua Lipa as far as even unfollowing him on Instagram over his recent comments.

Subject: Re: Dababy in Hot Water over HIV comments made at rolling loud

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/21 at 12:19 pm

Oh, this guy sounds like a real charmer.  8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/21 at 5:31 pm

Looks like his new name is gonna be DaCANCELLED.  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/02/21 at 10:31 am

People need to stop being so thin skinned. No he doesn't need to be "cancelled" over this.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/02/21 at 10:47 am

People need to stop being so thin skinned. No he doesn't need to be "cancelled" over this.

No, he doesn't need to be "cancelled", nor does anybody, but people need to realize on their own that this guy is a moron and that they might be better off without him. That's a far more organic way to do things.

Written By: CarCar on 08/02/21 at 1:06 pm

No, he doesn't need to be "cancelled", nor does anybody, but people need to realize on their own that this guy is a moron and that they might be better off without him. That's a far more organic way to do things.

Cancel culture is just a myth, plenty of celebrities have bad records and are still getting booked for jobs and such

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/21 at 4:14 pm

Cancel culture is just a myth, plenty of celebrities have bad records and are still getting booked for jobs and such

Tell that to Bill Cosby.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/02/21 at 6:15 pm

Tell that to Bill Cosby.

Or Roseanne Barr. Tossed off her own show. The show called "Roseanne".

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/21 at 1:59 am

Or OJ Simpson.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/03/21 at 8:45 am

Or OJ Simpson.

OJ Simpson is not really a good example. He murdered people. I know he was never convicted, but it's pretty obvious. And even so, his situation took place before the whole cancel culture craze. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/21 at 9:28 am

Or OJ Simpson.

OJ Simpson is not really a good example. He murdered people. I know he was never convicted, but it's pretty obvious. And even so, his situation took place before the whole cancel culture craze. 
Watch a television program called "Autopsy", the edition featuring the murders connected with OJ, it may change your mind.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/21 at 1:44 pm

Watch a television program called "Autopsy", the edition featuring the murders connected with OJ, it may change your mind.

That doctor on “Autopsy” is a world class douche bag.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/21 at 1:52 pm

That doctor on “Autopsy” is a world class douche bag.
The leading Forensic pathologist, Dr Richard Shepherd has performed over 23,000 autopsies and been involved in some of the most high-profile cases of recent times: the Hungerford Massacre, the Princess Diana Inquiry and 9/11. He has faced serial killers, natural disaster, ‘perfect murders’ and freak accidents. His evidence has put killers behind bars, freed the innocent, and turned open-and-shut cases on their heads. Yet this has not come without personal cost.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/21 at 2:02 pm

The leading Forensic pathologist, Dr Richard Shepherd has performed over 23,000 autopsies and been involved in some of the most high-profile cases of recent times: the Hungerford Massacre, the Princess Diana Inquiry and 9/11. He has faced serial killers, natural disaster, ‘perfect murders’ and freak accidents. His evidence has put killers behind bars, freed the innocent, and turned open-and-shut cases on their heads. Yet this has not come without personal cost.

Must be a different Autopsy show then. The one I am talking about is on the Reelz Network.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/21 at 2:04 pm

Must be a different Autopsy show then. The one I am talking about is on the Reelz Network.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3468046/?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/21 at 2:33 pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3468046/?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Yeah that’s the guy, Michael Hunter.

Total D-bag.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/21 at 2:43 pm

Yeah that’s the guy, Michael Hunter.

Total D-bag.
..different forensic pathologist?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/03/21 at 7:27 pm

Tell that to Bill Cosby.

Or Kevin Spacey.

Or Kramer.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/03/21 at 7:36 pm

Or Kevin Spacey.

Or Kramer.  ::)

Don't forget Al Franken. That was a big one, and one that seems unjustified. And Woody Allen, who has consistently been cleared of all accusations against him, but has been convicted in the "court of public opinion" and can no longer get his movies released in this country.

Kevin Spacey seems like a real creep to me. But again, I don't believe he has ever been convicted of anything.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/21 at 8:35 am

Don't forget Al Franken. That was a big one, and one that seems unjustified. And Woody Allen, who has consistently been cleared of all accusations against him, but has been convicted in the "court of public opinion" and can no longer get his movies released in this country.

Kevin Spacey seems like a real creep to me. But again, I don't believe he has ever been convicted of anything.

And next up to bat… Andrew Cuomo.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/21 at 8:47 am

Dababy has recently come into hot waters with his former collaborator Dua Lipa as far as even unfollowing him on Instagram over his recent comments.

This is quite a surprise.  Their collaboration with the song Levitating apparently gave her the title of longest running hit in the US Top 10 by a female artist (31 weeks to date in both the US and Canada).  It also peaked at #2 in the US and #1 in Canada, making it her biggest hit to date in North America. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/09/21 at 1:50 pm

Rocker Ryan Adams has also suffered the effects of being severely cancelled.

New article here:

www.lamag.com/culturefiles/ryan-adams/

Excerpts:

"Adams has done no interviews in the years since the Times article appeared. At first, he was content to post public statements of apology in the hope of mollifying the music world that immediately shunned him. These messages were not well-received, and the music press that had frequently praised him no longer gave him any attention at all."

“I felt like they were asking me to die,” Adams says now of the accusations and immediate fallout, the loss of friends and professional support, the presumption of guilt. “So I’m losing my life’s work, and my dream of who I am, my ability to provide for myself. And I now don’t have the emotional support to help fix this. The door has slammed and what am I going to do?”

"Immediately after the Times article was published, Adams’s world began to crumble. Friends and colleagues he’d spoken to just days before were simply gone. He compares the exodus to the movements of a 'swarm of birds, and they all turn at the same time'."

Written By: Emman on 08/09/21 at 7:18 pm

Rocker Ryan Adams has also suffered the effects of being severely cancelled.

New article here:

www.lamag.com/culturefiles/ryan-adams/

Excerpts:

"Adams has done no interviews in the years since the Times article appeared. At first, he was content to post public statements of apology in the hope of mollifying the music world that immediately shunned him. These messages were not well-received, and the music press that had frequently praised him no longer gave him any attention at all."

“I felt like they were asking me to die,” Adams says now of the accusations and immediate fallout, the loss of friends and professional support, the presumption of guilt. “So I’m losing my life’s work, and my dream of who I am, my ability to provide for myself. And I now don’t have the emotional support to help fix this. The door has slammed and what am I going to do?”

"Immediately after the Times article was published, Adams’s world began to crumble. Friends and colleagues he’d spoken to just days before were simply gone. He compares the exodus to the movements of a 'swarm of birds, and they all turn at the same time'."

Here's a quote from that article
If there is misogyny in his lyrics, it’s just as easily found throughout the history of a chauvinistic music category that includes Neil Young’s “Stupid Girl” (“You really got a lot to learn”) or the Rolling Stones’ “Stupid Girl” (“She’s the worst thing in this world”) or Dylan’s “Idiot Wind” (“You’re an idiot, babe /It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe“).

Really, this crap is ridiculous, those lyrics are not examples of misogyny, they're all referring to a specific woman, it's emotional honesty.

A lot of old blues songs are about a cheating woman who did the singer wrong, that's emotional honesty, they're talking about their actual experiences, the same thing with (straight)female singers singing about a man who did them wrong. They're channeling their heartbreak into their music and art, I thought feminist wanted men to be more emotionally honest and open, I guess only when they can manipulate them. 

Phony people like this writer want everybody to engage in a kind of performative social justice signaling. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/21 at 7:54 pm

Really, this crap is ridiculous, those lyrics are not examples of misogyny, they're all referring to a specific woman, it's emotional honesty.

I don’t see people “cancelling” Dr. Dre over this classic lyric of his from an Eminem tune:

You must have a mental disease
Assume the position and get back down on your knees,

Apparently “cancellation” is selective.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/09/21 at 7:56 pm

A lot of old blues songs are about a cheating woman who did the singer wrong, that's emotional honesty, they're talking about their actual experiences, the same thing with (straight)female singers singing about a man who did them wrong. They're channeling their heartbreak into their music and art, I thought feminist wanted men to be more emotionally honest and open, I guess only when they can manipulate them. 

Phony people like this writer want everybody to engage in a kind of performative social justice signaling.

Agreed. Especially the brilliant and complex  "Idiot Wind". Dylan calls the subject of the song (and he is never really clear if it's a man or a woman) an "idiot" and goes on to call HIMSELF one:

"I  been double-crossed now
For the very last time and now I'm finally free
I kissed goodbye the howling beast
On the borderline which separated you from me
You'll never know the hurt I suffered
Nor the pain I rise above
And I'll never know the same about you
Your holiness or your kind of love
And it makes me feel so sorry

Idiot wind
Blowing through the buttons of our coats
Blowing through the letters that we wrote
Idiot wind
Blowing through the dust upon our shelves
We're idiots, babe
It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves"

Check for new replies or respond here...