inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV VMAs’ return to Barclays Center

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/11/21 at 11:59 am

Justin Bieber, Megan Thee Stallion and Olivia Rodrigo among top nominees in MTV VMAs’ return to Barclays Center

www.aol.com/news/justin-bieber-megan-thee-stallion-160139307.html

How, oh how, in the name of all that is good, does this thing still exist? And WHY? How can a station that shows no music videos present awards for music videos? Exactly where are these "nominated" videos being shown and what right does MTV have to give out awards for them? At this point shouldn't it be presented on Youtube as the "Youtube Video Awards" (YVA) or something? It's almost like a satire to have a video awards show on a network that shows no music videos, and really hasn't in any great capacity for over 20 years. Nobody that is hip will show up for this joke of a thing. I give it a big thumbs down.

Subject: Re: MTV VMAs’ return to Barclays Center

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/13/21 at 1:16 am

It doesn't mean that much to me anymore.  MTV used to be about talent vs now which is about who's the most popular.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/21 at 5:10 am

Looks like Music Television is rebuilding the brand, what with this and the return of Cribs.

Maybe they will bring back VJ Martha Quinn :-*.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/13/21 at 8:27 am

Looks like Music Television is rebuilding the brand, what with this and the return of Cribs.

Not really, because the VMAs never went away in the first place, They just ceased to be relevant, like the rest of MTV.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/13/21 at 1:02 pm

Not really, because the VMAs never went away in the first place, They just ceased to be relevant, like the rest of MTV.

I think so too.  They've been trying to be relevant ever since they stopped playing actual music on their channel. ::)  ::)  ::)  ::) Much Music, christened Much, is trying to stay relevant as well.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/21 at 5:59 pm

I sense some disdain for mTV in these boards.  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/13/21 at 6:01 pm

Ya think?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/13/21 at 11:12 pm

Not disdain really.  MTV and the advent of music video haven't been relevant for a very long time.  I'm more disappointed in MTV that their music video awards were about who had the best music videos and now their music video awards reek of who's the most popular?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/13/21 at 11:33 pm

There are very few things I bother with on MTV anymore (VMA, Movie Awards, Unplugged, the TRL reboot that ended up going nowhere). My cousin, who's more into that sort of thing, will show me the occasional episode or viral video from the Ridiculousness "franchise." (Rob Dyrdek is no Bob Saget.  ;D) Even when I do watch something like Wild'n Out, it's usually on VH1, which I seldom watch anymore (Nowadays, I've only really watched Martin reruns).

These are sometimes the only music-adjacent shows on MTV anymore, so I'll take what I can get. The mother station might not show music videos anymore, but MTV Live and MTV Classic still do.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/14/21 at 12:32 am

I don't get MTV, or MTV 2 simply because it's all Reality TV and has nothing at all to do with music.

Check for new replies or respond here...