inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Film buff rescues more than 20,000 VHS tapes

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/21/21 at 7:43 am

Be sure to click on the link, because it shows photos of the massive collection. This collection  is in the UK so I am assuming the tapes are on the PAL system rather than NTSC which was in use here in the USA.

Film buff rescues more than 20,000 VHS tapes set for dump

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-58261702

Excerpt:

A movie buff has rescued more than 20,000 VHS tapes from landfill after travelling 300 miles to collect them.

Andy Johnson, who runs what is said to be the UK's last video shop, drove from Liverpool to Dundee to pick up the mammoth haul. The vast collection, which filled three lock-up garages, was amassed by George McInnes over decades from car boot sales. Mr Johnson, who owns VideOdyssey, said: "I've never seen anything this big."

Mr Johnson told BBC Scotland: "I was just absolutely amazed when I got the phone call.

"The guy who got these lock-ups told me it could be more than 20,000 so we are quite excited."
If he had been unable to take the tapes, they would have been destined for landfill as VHS tapes cannot be recycled.

Mr Johnson believes young people brought up in the age of live streaming are keen to experience movies on tape.
He said: "VHS is starting to have a similar comeback seen with vinyl. People want that physical connection to their favourite films, rather than the cold experience of playing something from the cloud."

Having worked as a clerk in a video shop as a teenager, Mr Johnson now finds himself travelling across the country on his days off to gather people's collections of old gems and save films, which never came out on a digital format, from oblivion.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/103DA/production/_120022566_vhs1.png

Subject: Re: Film buff rescues more than 20,000 VHS tapes

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/21 at 7:52 am

I’d like to see video tapes make a comeback. There’s nothing like the excitement and expectation of rewinding a tape so you can play it.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/22/21 at 7:20 am

I’d like to see video tapes make a comeback. There’s nothing like the excitement and expectation of rewinding a tape so you can play it.  8)

And then having it get stuck in the machine. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/21 at 6:14 am

I saw a news report on him last week, I have some tapes he can have.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 08/23/21 at 7:18 am

I wish I could contact that film buff and tell him to post digitized versions of the tapes he found to this online treasure trove I found a few years back.

Written By: karen on 08/23/21 at 10:15 am

I wish I could contact that film buff and tell him to post digitized versions of the tapes he found to this online treasure trove I found a few years back.

https://www.videodyssey.com/

Website has links to Facebook and Twitter so you might be able to contact him via one of those methods.

Edited to add

He may not be interested of course, because he doesn’t agree with people scrolling through online lists of movies and using streaming services

Written By: Ripley on 08/23/21 at 5:16 pm

So cool! I remember fondly the days of renting at Blockbuster. Now there isn’t any video store near me. It’s awesome he not only has a store open but that he saved all of these!

Written By: Ripley on 08/23/21 at 5:17 pm

Me too!

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/21 at 2:14 am

I used to have over a thousand VHS movies.  When I decided to get rid of them, I kept a few music related ones and some Playboy ones (lol), but over the course of like 2 years through pawn shops, yard sales and an ad in the newspaper, I sold 'em all

I never ever had the space for them, but I liked to collect, so they sat in big white boxes for years

Written By: Howard on 08/24/21 at 7:00 am

I saw a news report on him last week, I have some tapes he can have.

He can have some of mine too.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/21 at 7:01 am

So cool! I remember fondly the days of renting at Blockbuster. Now there isn’t any video store near me. It’s awesome he not only has a store open but that he saved all of these!

I miss the days of going to a video store and renting a tape.

Check for new replies or respond here...