inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Younger Generation is so Lazy

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/21 at 10:11 pm

Modern day writing that the younger generation uses is so lazy. Instead of writing "What's up?", It's "Sup". Instead of writing "What's your favourite restaurant?', It's "Fav resto?"...

Subject: Re: The Younger Generation is so Lazy

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 08/30/21 at 10:35 pm

Am a core Gen Z'er, can attest to this.  :\'(

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/30/21 at 11:55 pm

Really glad this wasn't about unemployment, because that has the economy written all over it.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/31/21 at 5:01 am

That applies to millennials as well as zoomers. Possibly X'ers as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/21 at 5:07 am

The is a if the younger generation do write, they are on the phone all day long.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/21 at 7:03 am

The is a if the younger generation do write, they are on the phone all day long.

Our generation back then had push button and rotary phones, there was no such thing as smartphones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/21 at 8:20 am

Our generation back then had push button and rotary phones, there was no such thing as smartphones.
Back for written communication would be pen, paper and an envelope.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/21 at 8:52 am

Please move this thread to the 2020s section. I posted in the wrong section by mistake.

Modern day writing that the younger generation uses is so lazy. Instead of writing "What's up?", It's "Sup". Instead of writing "What's your favourite restaurant?', It's "Fav resto?"...

What you're really talking about is the devaluation of the English language. Yes, a large part of it is due to texting, where letters and numerals are used to replace words ("I'm waiting 4 you"), as well as Twitter, where one is limited as to how many characters they can use. But, truthfully, this has been going on for years, so I am not completely blaming Millennials or Gen Z. I bet even the people here complaining about all this say "veggies", for example. THAT'S when it all started, and that was long before Millennials. The reduction of everything to a two syllable diminutive. "Veggies", "undies". Or "OJ" for orange juice, "TP" for toilet paper, "AC" for air conditioner. All that was going on even when I was young. Saying "veggies" is all pervasive. That's all you hear on TV, in articles, etc. Is it really that hard to say "vegetables"? Or "underwear"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/21 at 12:51 pm

"Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be.
It killed the ancient Romans
And now it’s killing me."

Written By: Howard on 08/31/21 at 1:19 pm

Back for written communication would be pen, paper and an envelope.

It was the only way for communication back then and to talk to one another, we did face to face conversations.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/04/21 at 8:09 pm

Um...

I can honestly say that not all of the younger generation are lazy. I know why I'm saying this. I know a 15 year old young man who actually works and speaks like an adult. Sometimes I forget that he's only 15 years old. He seems older.

Anyway, he writes me love letters every single day. It's so adorable! And he doesn't speak slang or anything like that. He's very mature for his age.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/04/21 at 9:21 pm

Um...

I can honestly say that not all of the younger generation are lazy. I know why I'm saying this. I know a 15 year old young man who actually works and speaks like an adult. Sometimes I forget that he's only 15 years old. He seems older.

Anyway, he writes me love letters every single day. It's so adorable! And he doesn't speak slang or anything like that. He's very mature for his age.

Should we think it odd that a mature woman like yourself is receiving daily "love letters" (electronic or paper?) from a 15 year old? I'm sure you are quite flattered but perhaps you should be gently encouraging him to direct his affections to someone closer to his own age. If you are not already doing that. I can't imagine you would want to let this go too far.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/04/21 at 9:30 pm

Should we think it odd that a mature woman like yourself is receiving daily "love letters" (electronic or paper?) from a 15 year old? I'm sure you are quite flattered but perhaps you should be gently encouraging him to direct his affections to someone closer to his own age. If you are not already doing that. I can't imagine you would want to let this go too far.

Aw, I know better than that. Lol. They're kids and still developing. I have two nephews close to his age. Do you know what asking him to stop writing love letters would do to him? I simply take the letters and thank him. I do not lead him on God forbid. I treat him in the same manner I treat my nephews. They love their aunt!

Written By: karen on 09/05/21 at 2:19 am

In the U.K. this would be considered illegal. Since I work in education I would be required to report this situation to the authorities (the boys school for example) as part of the safeguarding children in education

Written By: Howard on 09/05/21 at 6:48 am

Um...

But you're in your 40's and he's 15 years of age.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/21 at 7:55 am

My cousin married a dude 29 years older than her.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/21 at 8:41 am

But was she 15 when she married him? 15 is below the age of consent in all 50 states.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/05/21 at 9:01 am

In the U.K. this would be considered illegal. Since I work in education I would be required to report this situation to the authorities (the boys school for example) as part of the safeguarding children in education

Yes. It is the same here. But nothing has happened to that extent. Thankfully. I have spoken to the boy's parents about it and asked. They seem ok with their son having a crush. They said they feel that everyone goes through that.

He's a young man with a crush. That's all it is. I have spoken to his parents. What do I look like to you, Howard an old maid!?  ;D Lol.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/21 at 9:54 am

But was she 15 when she married him? 15 is below the age of consent in all 50 states.

No, she was 29 and her hubs was 58 when they got married. My Mum used to tell me the story of when my Dad took Mum to meet my cuz when they got engaged. As they drove away from my cuz’ house, Mum asked Dad “who’s the old guy?” And Dad replied “that’s Maggie’s husband”.

Fast forward to 2019… I had to explain to my cuz’ two 24-year-old twin granddaughters how it came to be that their grandfather was born in 1881.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/05/21 at 1:30 pm

How old is your cousin?

Written By: Howard on 09/05/21 at 1:31 pm

Yes. It is the same here. But nothing has happened to that extent. Thankfully. I have spoken to the boy's parents about it and asked. They seem ok with their son having a crush. They said they feel that everyone goes through that.

He's a young man with a crush. That's all it is. I have spoken to his parents. What do I look like to you, Howard an old maid!?  ;D Lol.

I don't think I ever had a crush on a woman, can't remember if I did.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/21 at 1:38 pm

Even Howard is flipped out by this. 

Written By: Howard on 09/05/21 at 1:46 pm

Even Howard is flipped out by this.

I know, right.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/21 at 1:51 pm

Aw, I know better than that. Lol. They're kids and still developing. I have two nephews close to his age. Do you know what asking him to stop writing love letters would do to him? I simply take the letters and thank him. I do not lead him on God forbid. I treat him in the same manner I treat my nephews. They love their aunt!

By taking the letters IS leading him on and it is illegal.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/21 at 2:56 pm

By taking the letters IS leading him on and it is illegal.

Cat

I also wonder what Jess's fiancé thinks of all this. You will recall she told us 3-4 weeks ago that she was getting married and all the plans were being made. She was brimming with excitement. We haven't heard much more news about it since.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/21 at 3:44 pm

How old is your cousin?

Well if she were still alive, she’d be 111. :o She was my Dad’s first cousin.

In have a first cuz who would be 102 years old this year if she were still alive. Generations in my family are a bit disjointed!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/21 at 12:43 am

I also wonder what Jess's fiancé thinks of all this. You will recall she told us 3-4 weeks ago that she was getting married and all the plans were being made. She was brimming with excitement. We haven't heard much more news about it since.
...getting married, this is news for me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/21 at 1:10 am

Um...

Have you considered that it is an older man posing as a 15 year old?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/21 at 4:31 am

I was trying to figure that one out myself.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/21 at 4:32 am

Have you considered that it is an older man posing as a 15 year old?

That could happen a lot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/21 at 5:08 am

Um...

Only letters, have you heard him speak yet, and have you check the metadata on any photos sent?

Written By: Contigo on 09/06/21 at 5:43 am

She's been too busy adopting her child and posting photos of her dad from the internet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/21 at 8:05 am

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Chris-Hansen-Take-A-Seat-Meme.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/06/21 at 12:31 pm

She's been too busy adopting her child and posting photos of her dad from the internet.

Turns out she didn't adopt a child. She informed us she made plans to sponsor a child already living int he US but she never made it clear if she followed through. Right now she's presumably making plans for the wedding she told us about a few weeks back and was very excited about. I hope it works out because last year she also had wedding plans, but they fell  through. I don't know if it's with he same person again this time. That's a lot of up and down. People need to be careful with those online dating sites, you don't know what you're getting into.

Written By: Contigo on 09/06/21 at 1:00 pm

Turns out she didn't adopt a child. She informed us she made plans to sponsor a child already living int he US but she never made it clear if she followed through. Right now she's presumably making plans for the wedding she told us about a few weeks back and was very excited about. I hope it works out because last year she also had wedding plans, but they fell  through. I don't know if it's with he same person again this time. That's a lot of up and down. People need to be careful with those online dating sites, you don't know what you're getting into.

Shame on me for not keeping up with this soap opera as much as you are. I must learn to pay attention better than I ...oh look, a squirrel! (chases squirrel)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/06/21 at 1:03 pm

Shame on me for not keeping up with this soap opera as much as you are. I must learn to pay attention better than I ...oh look, a squirrel! (chases squirrel)

;D

Written By: violet_shy on 09/06/21 at 1:20 pm

Lol! This is off topic, and I had been so busy with my music career I don't really have much time to post on in the 00s. I do have time now though since my current single is being released. Anyway, yes my fiancé is really nice wish you could all meet him!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/06/21 at 1:29 pm

Lol! This is off topic, and I had been so busy with my music career I don't really have much time to post on in the 00s. I do have time now though since my current single is being released. Anyway, yes my fiancé is really nice wish you could all meet him!

This is certainly good news! We were worried, since you hadn't said much about it. We thought maybe your situation with the obsessed 15 year old was causing friction with your wedding plans.

Written By: passthegabagool on 09/06/21 at 5:44 pm

Im Gen Z. No one says "fav resto", that sounds like a person from an older generation trying to sound cool.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/06/21 at 5:54 pm

Im Gen Z. No one says "fav resto", that sounds like a person from an older generation trying to sound cool.

It actually sounds like faux-journalese, like some idiot writing restaurant reviews in an upscale magazine. 

Written By: violet_shy on 09/06/21 at 8:08 pm

It actually sounds like faux-journalese, like some idiot writing restaurant reviews in an upscale magazine. 

HA HA HA!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/07/21 at 7:42 am

Cause sometimes it's not the person who you think it might turn out to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/21 at 8:48 am

Cause sometimes it's not the person who you think it might turn out to be.
Exactly so.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/21 at 1:38 pm

Exactly so.

Sometimes on the other end could be the police, you just never know.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/21 at 8:35 pm

I was just thinking, even though I don't "stand on ceremony" as the saying goes, and though I come from the freewheelin' 60s and 70s when we broke down a lot of old and stuffy conventions, and Lord knows, I wouldn't want to see things return to any kind of rigid formality...if a certain ELEGANCE, a civility, if you will,  were to creep back into our speech, into our writing, and into our demeanor, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.  :)

Written By: CarCar on 09/12/21 at 12:42 am

I think they meant to say “what’s your fave/fav restaurant” I hear that a lot. Just goes to show how language is always evolving lol

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/12/21 at 7:27 am

Old man yells at cloud.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/21 at 1:08 pm

Old man yells at cloud.

;D

Written By: Sman12 on 09/15/21 at 7:09 pm

Old man yells at cloud.

Agreed. Young generations tend to have criticism from past generation cohorts just because of their new trends and attitudes. It's been happening since ever.

Check for new replies or respond here...