inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artists Ditching the VMA Awards this Year

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/21 at 6:50 am

Tonight the annual VMA awards are going to be presented, but two notable artists have decided to ditch the show.  :-\\

Nicky Minaj has dropped out, without giving any reason:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/10/nicki-minaj-cancels-2021-mtv-vmas-performance/

Kiwi sensation song siren Lorde has also bailed, due to Covid related issues. According to Lorde, “We were planning this insanely amazing many-bodied intimate dance performance, not fully understanding the (very necessary!) safety protocols that are in place,” she wrote. “I can’t make something less than outstanding for you guys.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/10/lorde-bails-on-the-2021-mtv-vmas-due-to-covid-19-protocols/

Here’s a link to a list of who will be performing… at least as of this writing…

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9626265/here-are-all-the-performers-presenters-for-the-2021-mtv-vmas

Hopefully next year, Britney will make a triumphant return to the show.  :)

Subject: Re: Artists Ditching the VMA Awards this Year

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/21 at 8:56 am

If I've asked it once I've asked it a million times on a million threads that all end up the same. Why, oh why does this thing still exist? Where exactly does one see these "MTV videos"? On Youtube perhaps, but certainly nor on MTV.

I have come to a conclusion that it's sort of a postmodern thing. It only exists because of itself.     :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/21 at 2:48 pm

If I've asked it once I've asked it a million times on a million threads that all end up the same. Why, oh why does this thing still exist? Where exactly does one see these "MTV videos"? On Youtube perhaps, but certainly nor on MTV.

I have come to a conclusion that it's sort of a postmodern thing. It only exists because of itself.     :o

I’ve been thinking the same thing. MTV no longer shows videos, so why have this ceremony?  VH-1 stopped showing videos a few years ago too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/21 at 3:05 pm

I’ve been thinking the same thing. MTV no longer shows videos, so why have this ceremony?  VH-1 stopped showing videos a few years ago too.

Quite a bit more than a FEW years ago. Videos aren't even really a thing anymore and haven't been for years.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/21 at 3:35 pm

It's ridiculous now why even bother, There's rarely enough artists these days.

Subject: MTV's VMAs Score Less Than a Million Viewers

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/15/21 at 9:44 am

The show that nobody can figure out the reason for why it exists has sunk to a new high of lowness. Sunday’s show had a mere 900,000 viewers on the main channel, and a smattering elsewhere on channels like VH1 and BET. On MTV itself it was a 31% drop from last year’s 1.3 million.

As if to cement the fact that it is in no way in touch with the current zeitgeist, the show opened with elderly, former star Madonna. When was the last time SHE was relevant? The 80s?

Read it here:

www.showbiz411.com/2021/09/14/mtvs-video-music-awards-scored-less-than-a-million-viewers-on-mtv-and-not-much-more-anywhere-else

Excerpt:

You know things are bad when MTV’s Video Music Awards barely score ratings on MTV.

Sunday’s show had 900,000 viewers on the main channel, and a smattering elsewhere on channels like VH1 and BET. On MTV itself it was a 31% drop from last year’s 1.3 million.

The VH1 numbers were 149,000. The Paramount channel was 159,000. Nick-at-Nite and BET were better, around 200,000 each. TV Land came in at 186,000. Total viewers for the show were probably 3 million.

On the CW Network, the VMAs scored just 606,000 viewers, down from last year’s 871,000. That’s a 31% drop.

The good news for Viacom was that the key demo was high. Half of those MTV watchers were 18 to 49, But what else would they be? The Video Music Awards are not a tolerable experience for anyone over 20, frankly.

The show opened with a “surprise” performance by Madonna, who turned to show the camera her robustly manufactured derriere.

Other acts included the usual customers: Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, Doja Cat, and old timers like Foo Fighters and Alicia Keys. No Gaga, Taylor Swift or Miley. Ed Sheeran was there. But nothing really exceptional. And no Beyonce or Adele, Drake or Kanye.

Subject: Re: MTV's VMAs Score Less Than a Million Viewers

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/21 at 5:04 pm

On the CW Network, the VMAs scored just 606,000 viewers, down from last year’s 871,000. That’s a 31% drop.

I didn’t even know The CW existed anymore.  :-[

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/15/21 at 10:22 pm

elderly, former star Madonna. When was the last time SHE was relevant? The 80s?

and old timers like Foo Fighters and Alicia Keys.

How old is this author, 12? The last time I remember Madonna being relevant was in the 2000s, maybe 2010s. The Foos are still consistently popular, though not pop radio mainstays. Alicia is still fairly popular in some circles.

Cyndi Lauper is still fairly known, and appears in prescription drug commercials.

If you really want to talk about older or washed-up celebrities, they had Ja Rule and Ashanti, and strangely David Lee Roth. And "Video Killed the Radio Star" played over the end credits. But some of these can be justified because it was MTV's 40th anniversary.

It was... decent, but nothing to write home about. Foo Fighters, Camila and Chloe had the best performances of the night.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/21 at 10:27 pm

I have not watched the VMA's since I was a teen.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/15/21 at 10:45 pm

How old is this author, 12? The last time I remember Madonna being relevant was in the 2000s, maybe 2010s. The Foos are still consistently popular, though not pop radio mainstays. Alicia is still fairly popular in some circles.

Cyndi Lauper is still fairly known, and appears in prescription drug commercials.

If you really want to talk about older or washed-up celebrities, they had Ja Rule and Ashanti, and strangely David Lee Roth. And "Video Killed the Radio Star" played over the end credits. But some of these can be justified because it was MTV's 40th anniversary.

It was... decent, but nothing to write home about. Foo Fighters, Camila and Chloe had the best performances of the night.

Faded star Madonna is 63, the same age Bea Arthur was when she started on The Golden Girls. Cyndi Lauper is 68 and doing television commercials for income. They should star in a revival of Golden Girls.

Check for new replies or respond here...