inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This Song is the Perfect Representation of Early 2020s Music...

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/21 at 4:02 pm

This song is the perfect representation of early 2020s pop music. It defines the general vibe of the music of the early 2020s. In the future,, if people hear this song they will think of the early 2020s since the sound represents it so well.

rhTl_OyehF8&ab_channel=TheWeekndVEVO

Subject: Re: This Song is the Perfect Representation of Early 2020s Music...

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/28/21 at 12:53 pm

Music at the moment seems like a fusion between the 80s and 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/28/21 at 12:54 pm

Music at the moment seems like a fusion between the 80s and 10s.

I agree. That's a good way of putting it.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/20/21 at 5:06 pm

I disagree. It's gotta be something with at least some trap influence. I'd say Mood by 24kGoldn is a better choice

Written By: Emman on 11/22/21 at 3:53 pm

That song is part of a now 20 year old '80s revival, you might as well say The Killers and Shiny Toy Guns are early 2020s music. ;D

At least in the early 2000s when the '80s revival started it was differentiated enough from the 1980s to make sense, whereas much of the last 20 years blur in together with little distinction.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/22/21 at 3:58 pm

That song is part of a now 20 year old '80s revival, you might as well say The Killers and Shiny Toy Guns are early 2020s music. ;D

At least in the early 2000s when the '80s revival started it was differentiated enough from the 1980s to make sense, whereas much of the last 20 years blur in together with little distinction.

Correct!

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 4:02 pm

The difference is in the early '00s 80s throwbacks weren't charting as high as they are now.

Written By: Emman on 11/22/21 at 4:16 pm

The difference is in the early '00s 80s throwbacks weren't charting as high as they are now.

What, The Killers weren't charting, they weren't all over MTV back in 2004?

There's countless examples from the 2000s(and 2010s), The Weekend isn't pioneering anything different, it's the same old, same old.

Freakin Bulletproof by La Roux charted in the Billboard top ten in 2009, 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 4:20 pm

What, The Killers weren't charting, they weren't all over MTV back in 2004?

There's countless examples from the 2000s(and 2010s), The Weekend isn't pioneering anything different, it's the same old, same old.

It's not the same. The Killers didn't have the '80s synth. They were more rock.

Written By: Emman on 11/22/21 at 4:28 pm

It's not the same. The Killers didn't have the '80s synth. They were more rock.

Well you already replied before I edited but Bulletproof is full on '80s synth pop and it was very popular in 2009.

You're nitpicking is like saying Duran Duran is different from the Human League because Duran Duran used more rock guitar(The Killers were directly influenced by Duran Duran).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/22/21 at 4:30 pm

Because the charts were different then. There was no Spotify, people were still buying physical. Or downloading. EVERYTHING charts higher now.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 4:33 pm

Well you already replied before I edited but Bulletproof is full on '80s synth pop and it was very popular in 2009.

You're nitpicking is like saying Duran Duran is different from the Human League because Duran Duran used more rock guitar(The Killers were directly influenced by Duran Duran).

Bulletproof was the only one in 2009. A bunch of other artists released 80s pop this year and in 2020. It was nowhere near as big as it is today.

Also bulletproof was nowhere near as 80s sounding as this song...

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 4:38 pm

You guys may not agree and that's ok but when I think of the era I think of this song.  :)

Written By: Emman on 11/22/21 at 4:40 pm

Bulletproof was the only one in 2009. A bunch of other artists released 80s pop this year and in 2020. It was nowhere near as big as it is today.

Also bulletproof wax nowhere near as 80s sounding as this song...

You're clearly in denial, it wasn't just that song, the entire synth pop genre was revived.

You want that to be the distinctive marker of our era, it's a sound beaten to death just like '70s disco.

This era is so lame and uncreative that people are arguing that 40 year old styles represent the "now".

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 4:43 pm

You're clearly in denial, it wasn't just that song, the entire synth pop genre was revived.

You want that to be the distinctive marker of our era, it's a sound beaten to death just like '70s disco.

This era is so lame and uncreative that people are arguing that 40 year old styles represent the "now".

No it wasn't lol it was mainly elecctropop and that didn't sound 80s at all. That was a unique genre.

Written By: Emman on 11/22/21 at 4:52 pm

No it wasn't lol it was mainly elecctropop and that didn't sound 80s at all. That was a unique genre.

Like I said you're in denial, Bulletproof sounds like it came straight outta 1982 while you deny that, are you really that biased?

I'm not going to convince you but synthpop/electropop are interchangeable, both those terms were used during their new wave heyday in the early 1980s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/22/21 at 5:23 pm

Like I said you're in denial, Bulletproof sounds like it came straight outta 1982 while you deny that, are you really that biased?

I'm not going to convince you but synthpop/electropop are interchangeable, both those terms were used during their new wave heyday in the early 1980s.

Whatever man

Check for new replies or respond here...