inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will fashion ever change in a major way again?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/01/21 at 5:48 am

Fashion was weird in the late 20th century and early 00s but then it seems like everyone just started wearing more basic clothing and it's been pretty much the same since.

I wonder if fashion will ever get weird again.

Subject: Re: Will fashion ever change in a major way again?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/01/21 at 5:53 am

I'd say the hipster fashion was pretty weird. I noticed the dressing up look has been popular again as people have been coming out of quarantine/isolation. Before that and especially during the pandemic the athleisure style was popular.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/01/21 at 6:16 am

I'd say the hipster fashion was pretty weird. I noticed the dressing up look has been popular again as people have been coming out of quarantine/isolation. Before that and especially during the pandemic the athleisure style was popular.

Hipster fashion is an emulation of early 20th century clothing which was very basic. Athleisure fashion is also basic since a lot of people use the gym or work out nowadays.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 9:03 am

Fashion was weird in the late 20th century and early 00s but then it seems like everyone just started wearing more basic clothing and it's been pretty much the same since.

I think you may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Waiting for "weird" fashion. Keep in mind, when "weird" fashion is actually in fashion people generally think it is normal. Or at least they get used to it after a while. When miniskirts were first introduced in the 60s they were considered scandalous and weird, but then they became mainstream right away.

In the 70s and throughout the 80s, very short shorts for men were simply the norm. We didn't even call them "short shorts", which would designate they were somehow out of the ordinary and needed an adjective, we simply called them "shorts". Everyone from teens to fat old men wore them and nobody gave it a second thought. Wearing extremely short shorts in professional basketball was the norm for decades, until Michael Jordan single handedly put an end to it in the early 90s and thus killed off short shorts for men in general, seemingly forever. To today's sensibility, they would look "weird". If someone were to wear them, males would snicker nastily,  females would tsk tsk. Do you think they could ever come back? Because by today's standards they are "weird". And when I say "come back", I don't mean to a handful of fashion forward people on designer runways. I mean INTO THE MAINSTREAM. I don't think they ever could. Which also proves my longstanding point that once something goes away, it never truly "comes back" INTO THE MAINSTREAM. I get a chuckle out of all the 80s worshippers here who weren't actually born back then. because I wonder, if push comes to shove, if they would actually wear short shorts like males in the 80s actually, un-self consciously, did.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiZ6FNrEEKN4-haDYCxFMYDn7CvtkeSlWCnOucn8PTfWtTMlHhoSxf5uRGWk5zTQvrTmk&usqp=CAU

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ac/93/38/ac93382909924bae7f7013becd1ed2f4.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/16/53/9416532b9ab4d5d13b41c64a80a16ee4--andy-gibb-on-the-beach.jpg

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/01/21 at 10:35 am

I think you may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Waiting for "weird" fashion. Keep in mind, when "weird" fashion is actually in fashion people generally think it is normal. Or at least they get used to it after a while. When miniskirts were first introduced in the 60s they were considered scandalous and weird, but then they became mainstream right away.

In the 70s and throughout the 80s, very short shorts for men were simply the norm. We didn't even call them "short shorts", which would designate they were somehow out of the ordinary and needed an adjective, we simply called them "shorts". Everyone from teens to fat old men wore them and nobody gave it a second thought. Wearing extremely short shorts in professional basketball was the norm for decades, until Michael Jordan single handedly put an end to it in the early 90s and thus killed off short shorts for men in general, seemingly forever. To today's sensibility, they would look "weird". If someone were to wear them, males would snicker nastily,  females would tsk tsk. Do you think they could ever come back? Because by today's standards they are "weird". And when I say "come back", I don't mean to a handful of fashion forward people on designer runways. I mean INTO THE MAINSTREAM. I don't think they ever could. Which also proves my longstanding point that once something goes away, it never truly "comes back" INTO THE MAINSTREAM. I get a chuckle out of all the 80s worshippers here who weren't actually born back then. because I wonder, if push comes to shove, if they would actually wear short shorts like males in the 80s actually, un-self consciously, did.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiZ6FNrEEKN4-haDYCxFMYDn7CvtkeSlWCnOucn8PTfWtTMlHhoSxf5uRGWk5zTQvrTmk&usqp=CAU

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ac/93/38/ac93382909924bae7f7013becd1ed2f4.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/16/53/9416532b9ab4d5d13b41c64a80a16ee4--andy-gibb-on-the-beach.jpg

They look like instagram girls in those shorts lmao

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 10:48 am

Then you answered your own question. Fashion once considered normal, now considered "weird", cannot return. You have made fun of it, so why would you want it to return? If you were simply talking about bizarre, "weird" fashion for the sake of bizarre fashion, that doesn't count. That's cosplay.

Also, I'm not sure if you're one of the "80s aficionados" here, but for those who are, they have to take this along with everything else, or how serious are they about the 80s.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/01/21 at 11:02 am

Then you answered your own question. Fashion once considered normal, now considered "weird", cannot return. You have made fun of it, so why would you want it to return? If you were simply talking about bizarre, "weird" fashion for the sake of bizarre fashion, that doesn't count. That's cosplay.

Also, I'm not sure if you're one of the "80s aficionados" here, but for those who are, they have to take this along with everything else, or how serious are they about the 80s.

Well that isn't the only fashion in the 80s. Back then they also had those heavy metal jackets and weird hair and other eccentric outfits and styles. And i'm not saying for 80s fashion to return. I'm saying it would be nice if new weird fashion styles came about that haven't been a thing before.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 11:18 am

Well that isn't the only fashion in the 80s. Back then they also had those heavy metal jackets and weird hair and other eccentric outfits and styles. And i'm not saying for 80s fashion to return. I'm saying it would be nice if new weird fashion styles came about that haven't been a thing before.

No it wasn't the only style, but it's what people wore when it was hot. Nobody was really wearing them to be "fashionable". Things that people wear without trying to be "fashionable" is the true meter of culture. Incidentally, back then males wore shorts only when it was hot. Nowadays males wear the long baggy things that pass for "shorts" all year round. It's annoying. This is a direct result of the early 90s grunge/rap axis, and it has never gone away since.

Ys it  it would be interesting if new weird fashion styles came about that haven't been a thing before. But they have to be new. You'd be surprised how many people refer to "futuristic" fashion here and all it is is the 1960s Lost In Space/Jetsons conception of the "future". Silver space suit type things. It's so ingrained in them that this is "futuristic" that they can't see that future has already passed.  ;D

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 11:27 am

No it wasn't the only style, but it's what people wore when it was hot. Nobody was really wearing them to be "fashionable". Things that people wear without trying to be "fashionable" is the true meter of culture. Incidentally, back then males wore shorts only when it was hot. Nowadays males wear the long baggy things that pass for "shorts" all year round. It's annoying. This is a direct result of the early 90s grunge/rap axis, and it has never gone away since.

Ys it  it would be interesting if new weird fashion styles came about that haven't been a thing before. But they have to be new. You'd be surprised how many people refer to "futuristic" fashion here and all it is is the 1960s Lost In Space/Jetsons conception of the "future". Silver space suit type things. It's so ingrained in them that this is "futuristic" that they can't see that future has already passed.  ;D

I agree with this, lot of fashion styles today I see on the street from places like New York would totally out of place in the 70s for example

A lot of this is based on a general consciousness about what our society considers normal fashion to weird styles that look like a costume or a mockery of some existing style

Some set pieces from pervious decades will probably come back again like mom jeans in the mid 2010s but they weren’t worn in the same way they were in the 90s as back in 2016 they were just seen mostly on trendy teenagers

A lot of normcore, atheisure and snap back hats would probably look out of place in the 1970s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 11:33 am

I agree with this, lot of fashion styles today I see on the street from places like New York would totally out of place in the 70s for example

A lot of normcore, atheisure and snap back hats would probably look out of place in the 1970s

Oh, how right you are. In the 1970s baseball caps were seen only on baseball players and 8 year old kids. And one would never have seen someone in the street wearing sweatpants.

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 11:34 am

I think most of 2010s to 2021 fashion is a result of the hip hop popularization of the 1990s along with all the flannel people wear now. Of course it’s now modernized and the style has become more refined and cleaner.

I always hated the hipster look, it was so pretentious. Rim horned glasses, snap back and neon colored shoes. Ugh

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 11:36 am

2010s fashion will become weird on its own, I wish people on this forum would stop acting like it has no identity because it doesn’t seem that outdated.

Edit: who’s to say your everyday clothes won’t be weird in 20 years from now

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 11:38 am

So Normcore, Athelisure, trendy Instagram girls styles, Hipster look and most importantly hip hop fashion isn’t unique ? Who was wearing clothes like that in the 70s, 60s or even 80s tbh

Mom jeans and a crop top we’re not a look in 1965

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 11:54 am

I created a separate topic for the short shorts on men discussion. It seemed like it needed it's own. It's a big subject.  ;D  ;D  ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=63388.0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/01/21 at 12:01 pm

I think most of 2010s to 2021 fashion is a result of the hip hop popularization of the 1990s along with all the flannel people wear now. Of course it’s now modernized and the style has become more refined and cleaner.

You hit the nail on the head! I have been saying it here for AGES. A lot of the grunge/hip hop axis style of the early 90s NEVER LEFT, but nobody really noticed. Long baggy shorts on men year round, people wearing stupid wool caps (now ridiculously and childishly referred to as "beanies") all year round, regardless of how swelteringly hot it might be. The "schlub look" that all American males ages 10 through late middle age have adopted as a constant wardrobe, consisting of baggy shorts, bulky T shirt, baseball cap and big sneakers, comes DIRECTLY from the early 90s. All the flannel comes from grunge of that period too, and they took it in the first place from the Neil Young look of the early 70s. And Neil Young is Canadian where flannel shirts had always been more commonplace, even before they were a fashion.

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 12:52 pm

You hit the nail on the head! I have been saying it here for AGES. A lot of the grunge/hip hop axis style of the early 90s NEVER LEFT, but nobody really noticed. Long baggy shorts on men year round, people wearing stupid wool caps (now ridiculously and childishly referred to as "beanies") all year round, regardless of how swelteringly hot it might be. The "schlub look" that all American males ages 10 through late middle age have adopted as a constant wardrobe, consisting of baggy shorts, bulky T shirt, baseball cap and big sneakers, comes DIRECTLY from the early 90s. All the flannel comes from grunge of that period too, and they took it in the first place from the Neil Young look of the early 70s. And Neil Young is Canadian where flannel shirts had always been more commonplace, even before they were a fashion.

Of course there was the introduction of skinny jeans and fitted clothing in the early 2010s changed the fashion landscape so I wouldn’t call the era an exact carbon copy, it’s just not that much time had passed from the 90s back then, hell 1999 was only 11 years ago in 2010.

We hadn’t moved on yet fully from the 1990s. And on some level we still haven’t really. There’s still many people who don’t consider the 90s vintage yet.

Written By: CarCar on 10/01/21 at 12:56 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/shootermcgavin_/status/1430346610840645634

This is what people dressed like when I was in high school, I know people 40 years ago weren’t dressed like this and I have a feeling people 20 years from now are gonna cosplay this, mock it and somehow manage to refine it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/YYmQDDFEx5nMrDmFA

Written By: Howard on 10/02/21 at 7:12 am

It looks a bit too effeminate on them.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/21 at 7:15 am

There was a time when people dressed according to trends during the decades like the 60's, 70's and 1980's. I don't think dressing weird will go back in style but you never know what people might wear these days.

Check for new replies or respond here...