inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Captain Kirk: Bezos' Blue Origin to send William Shatner into space

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 10:01 am

The actor who played Captain Kirk in the Star Trek series is set to embark on a real-life journey into space.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58792761

Subject: Re: Captain Kirk: Bezos' Blue Origin to send William Shatner into space

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/21 at 11:13 pm

So Shatner will now boldly go where many others have gone before? :D

Subject: Re: Captain Kirk: Bezos' Blue Origin to send William Shatner into space

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/05/21 at 12:54 am

He should send Mike Myers dressed as Dr. Evil up there.  ;D

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/rocket.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/05/21 at 4:32 am

He should send Mike Myers dressed as Dr. Evil up there.  ;D

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/rocket.jpg

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/21 at 2:43 pm

So Shatner will now boldly go where many others have gone before? :D
Set to be the oldest astronaut in space at the age of 90, surpassing Wally Funk, age 82, who holds the current record of being the oldest person into space.

Subject: Star Trek star William Shatner ready to boldly go into space

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 7:11 am

Hollywood actor William Shatner will later become the oldest person to go to space when he takes a ride in the Blue Origin sub-orbital capsule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58885555

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 9:19 am

Hollywood actor William Shatner will later become the oldest person to go to space when he takes a ride in the Blue Origin sub-orbital capsule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58885555
He is only going to be in space for around 11 minutes, I ask you?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 10:30 am

Hollywood actor William Shatner has now done it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 11:55 am

He is only going to be in space for around 11 minutes, I ask you?
...not quite exploring strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before!

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/14/21 at 5:23 am

Shatner: "What you have done- if... everybody in the world, needs to do this. Everybody in the world needs to see the- It was unbelievable. Unbelievable."
“I mean, the little things, the weightlessness, and to see the blue colour whip by and now you’re staring into blackness. That’s the thing. This covering of blue is this sheet, this blanket, this comforter of blue that we have around us.
"We think ‘Oh, that’s blue sky’ and suddenly you shoot right through it. All of a sudden, like you whip a sheet off you when you’re asleep, and you’re looking into blackness – into black ugliness. And you look down, there’s the blue down there, and the black up there, and there is Mother Earth and comfort and – is there death? Is that the way death is?”
“It was so moving to me... This experience; it was something unbelievable . Yeah, weightlessness, my stomach went out, that was weird, but not as weird as the covering of blue – this is what I never expected.
It’s one thing to say 'Oh the sky ... it’s fragile,' it’s all true. But what isn’t true, what is unknown, until you do is... is this pillar, there's this soft blue. 'Look at the beauty of that colour!' and it’s so thin and you’re through it in an instant. How thick is it? Is it a mile?”
Bezos: “... maybe 50 miles.”
Shatner: “So you through 50 miles ... suddenly you’re through the blue and you’re into the black ... it’s mysterious and galaxies and things, but what you see is black, and what you see down there is light, and that’s the difference.”
Shatner: “...What you’ve given me is the most profound experience I can imagine . I am so filled with emotion about what just happened. It’s extraordinary. Extraordinary. I hope I never recover from this. I hope that I can maintain what I feel now, I don’t want to lose it. It’s so... much larger than me and life; it hasn’t got anything to do with the little green men and blue orb. It has to do with the enormity and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death. Oh my god, it’s unbelievable.”
Bezos: “It’s so beautiful.”
Shatner: “...What I would love to do is communicate as much as possible is the jeopardy. The moment you see the vulnerability of everything; it’s so small. This air, which is keeping us alive, is thinner than your skin. It’s a sliver; it’s immeasurably small when you think in terms of the universe. It’s negligible, this air. Mars doesn’t have it, nothing. I mean, when you think of when carbon dioxide changes to oxygen and what is 20% that sustains our life? It’s so thin. To- to dirty it...”
Bezos: “And you shoot through it so fast.”
Shatner: “So quickly! 50 miles.”
Bezos: “And then you’re just in blackness.”
Shatner: “You’re in death.”
Bezos: “This is life.”
Shatner: “And that’s death. this is life and that’s death. In an instant you go ‘wow, that’s death.’ That’s what I saw.”
Bezos: That’s amazing.”
Shatner: “I am overwhelmed. I had no idea. ... We were talking earlier before going. : ‘Well, you know, it’s going to be different.’ What is that phrase you have, that you have a different view of things? That doesn’t begin to explain, to describe it for me.”
“It would be so important for everybody to have that experience, through one means or another – maybe you put on 3D goggles to have that experience, that’s certainly a technical possibility.
"... By the way, the simulation ... it’s only a simulation, everything else is much more involved.”
Bezos: “Doesn’t capture it.”
Shatner: “Doesn’t capture it ... and BANG this thing hits. That wasn’t anything like the simulation!”
Bezos: “It’s the G forces!”
Shatner: “It’s the G forces. And you’re thinking ‘what’s going to happen to me? Am I going to be able to survive the G forces?’ You feel that? Am I going to survive it? ...
"Oh my god, what an experience.”

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/21 at 5:26 am

Thank you.

Last night I was searching for quotes on his interviews, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...