inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your predictions for the next big technology that impacts society?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/05/21 at 4:59 am

Emphasis on "society", so not just some super advanced tech demo shown on facebook that isn't even mentioned after that.

I think we will be seeing a lot of AI integration this decade due to the immense popularity of AI speakers like alexa. AI pets, AI workplace automation, Self driving AI cars, AI gaming(kind of like amiibos), hell even AI music lol. I don't see the AI boom taking off until 2024 at the earliest however.

Subject: Re: What are your predictions for the next big technology that impacts society?

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/18/21 at 1:52 pm

I think VR will eventually take off once it's easily accessible to the GP

Subject: Re: What are your predictions for the next big technology that impacts society?

Written By: NightmareFarm on 11/18/21 at 2:07 pm

I think VR will eventually take off once it's easily accessible to the GP

I'm not so sure about that. It's been available for about half a decade now. I just don't think it's going to take off with gamers and that most gamers don't want another sensory gimmick after the Wii and Xbox Kinect.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/21 at 1:46 pm

Well, we have gadgets that talk, Virtual Reality, hands free cars and robots, to name a few.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/21 at 2:56 pm

Flying cars, and tasty pills that you can take to get nutrition instead of conventional food.

Written By: duenas8 on 11/20/21 at 7:27 pm

NFTs are growing at a unexpected rate. I can see them being incorporated in big tech ecosystems and massively used in virtual worlds. While cryptocurrency won’t stop growing and more countries will adopt it as El Salvador did.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/21 at 12:26 am

In August I bought an electric scooter mainly for recreational purposes and I really enjoy riding it. I also think it's going to be quite a long time before the infrastructure is in place for electric cars to replace cars powered by fossil fuels.

I can remember gas powered mopeds being popular during the energy crisis in the late 1970s and, as gas prices increase and battery technology advances, I can see a similar growth in the popularity of personal electric vehicles such as e-scooters and electric unicycles occurring over the next decade.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/21 at 6:42 am

Flying cars, and tasty pills that you can take to get nutrition instead of conventional food.

Food that comes in squeeze tubes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/21 at 7:32 am

Yeah that would be awesome.

Or maybe a smartphone that you could load with the nutritious snack. “Siri, give me some cheese Whiz”…  :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/21 at 9:55 am

You guys are fun, and I see where you're coming from, but it has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with coming technology. What you are talking about is a very OLD vision, from mid-20th Century, of what the "future' would be like, and, in essence, is a "future that has already passed".  Trust me, there's nobody more "mid-century" than me. :D  You're just longing for things in very old science fiction movies that you saw. They are things out of the past now, NOT the future. I mean, what exactly is "awesome" about eating paste out of a tube instead of actual food?  Not to mention it was already done in the early days of space flight in the early 1960s and was a spectacular flop:

"In space travel's early years, astronauts used straws to suck dehydrated, paste-like food out of tubes. Today, astronauts on the space shuttle eat food in much the same way as they do here on Earth."
-www.science.howstuffworks.com

Written By: Howard on 11/21/21 at 1:56 pm

Or maybe a smartphone that you could load with the nutritious snack. “Siri, give me some cheese Whiz”…  :P

And maybe some crackers too.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/21/21 at 4:44 pm

VR/AR since it will be more realistic and user-friendly. Facebook just announced their Meta thing and they said they will compensate the costs so that everyone could get their hands on a headset. Business meetings, socializing, commerce, etc. will all be switched to the meta universe. It will probably happen later on in the decade though. This will impact society greatly but I myself want no part of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...