inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dave Chappelle Next to be CANCELLED

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/21 at 3:10 pm

Looks like Dave will soon join the ranks of “those whose names shall not be spoken”.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/dave-chapelle-netflix-special-facing-cancellation-trans-comments-critics-irate?cmpid=fb_fnc&fbclid=IwAR2b9W2eY_K-OSbHbQssJAV5i1cXZah16O62DvyJ9nj1UCpm6KxkuGAmtx4

”Let the name of Dave Chappelle be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of Egypt. Let the name of Dave Chappelle be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.”

Subject: Re: Dave Chappelle Next to be CANCELLED

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/08/21 at 5:22 pm

Dave played to a standing room only audience at the Hollywood Bowl last night and received several; standing O’s.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dave-chappelle-gets-standing-ovation-amid-backlash-171631150.html

Said Dave… 'If this is what being canceled is like, I love it'.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/21 at 7:16 am

Trans showrunner (whatever that is) Jaclyn Moore (born John Patrick Moore) is quitting Netflix over the Chappelle kerfuffle.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jaclyn-moore-showrunner-wont-work-netflix-dave-chappelle-jokes

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of Moore. Until now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/21 at 9:03 am

Even the mighty Rolling Stones, perhaps the most politically incorrect of all bands, have bowed to pressure and have cancelled their classic "Brown Sugar" from their current setlist. 

https://consequence.net/2021/10/rolling-stones-slavery-references-brown-sugar/

Excerpt:

“You picked up on that, huh?” Richards said when asked why they’re not playing the tune. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it. At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this s—t.” He laughed in his signature raspy fashion. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

Jagger, as usual, was more circumspect than his freewheeling counterpart. “We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970, so sometimes you think, We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes,” he said. “We might put it back in."

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/10/21 at 11:39 am

“Brown Sugar” was not the originally penned title or lyric, the original being NSFW.  :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/10/21 at 9:47 pm

“Brown Sugar” was not the originally penned title or lyric, the original being NSFW.  :o

Well, don't leave us hanging...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/21 at 10:00 pm

Well, don't leave us hanging...

Well, let's just say that some people may have thought the original title referred to a black cat. 

Written By: CarCar on 10/11/21 at 11:44 pm

Dave played to a standing room only audience at the Hollywood Bowl last night and received several; standing O’s.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dave-chappelle-gets-standing-ovation-amid-backlash-171631150.html

Said Dave… 'If this is what being canceled is like, I love it'.  ;D

If he was truly cancelled he wouldn’t have gotten a special to begin with, also I think that trans woman show got suspended anyways. 

This whole cancel culture outrage is just dumb, it just ultimately means a celebrity loses fans who have chosen not to enjoy they’re work anymore for stances the celebrity has taken more or less that fans feel offends them

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/12/21 at 5:20 am

This whole cancel culture outrage is just dumb, it just ultimately means a celebrity loses fans who have chosen not to enjoy they’re work anymore for stances the celebrity has taken more or less that fans feel offends them

Tell that to Michael Richard’s or Roseanne Barr.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/21 at 10:22 am

Nope. It means more than celebrities losing fans. it means celebrities losing WORK. It is also happening to people who are not celebrities. People getting fired from jobs and whatnot for not following the politically correct party line, or for something they said on Facebook when they were 15, etc, etc. It's HAPPENING.

Written By: CarCar on 10/12/21 at 4:03 pm

Tell that to Michael Richard’s or Roseanne Barr.

Roseanne Barr ? Didn’t she get her a whole spin off series ? Sounds like she got rewarded

Her bigotry made her lose fans and arguable a strained relationship with networks

Written By: CarCar on 10/12/21 at 4:05 pm

I see more people defending Dave Chappell actually. The only people who seem upset are the LGBT community.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/21 at 6:54 pm

Roseanne Barr ? Didn’t she get her a whole spin off series ? Sounds like she got rewarded

Her bigotry made her lose fans and arguable a strained relationship with networks

Your timeline is incorrect. Roseanne Barr got cancelled AFTER she got the reboot. The fired her from the reboot named "Roseanne" and renamed it the Connors. She lost her job. She was severely cancelled.  Her "bigotry", if indeed that,  did not make her "lose fans" it made her lose WORK.

Written By: CarCar on 10/12/21 at 7:00 pm

Your timeline is incorrect. Roseanne Barr got cancelled AFTER she got the reboot. The fired her from the reboot named "Roseanne" and renamed it the Connors. She lost her job. She was severely cancelled.  Her "bigotry", if indeed that,  did not make her "lose fans" it made her lose WORK.

Ok well regardless, she lost both, she lost fans and work for her views.

I don’t feel bad for that bigot

Written By: CarCar on 10/12/21 at 7:05 pm

Is being held accountable for things someone said in the past really all that bad ?

Also a lot of these celebrities that have been cancelled for even worse things still have careers. A lot of the entertainers  that have been successfully cancelled probably just lost popularity and they’re actions put the nail on the coffin in they’re careers lol

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/16/21 at 7:07 am

The head honcho at Netflix recently defended Chappelle publicly. And he's said he won't pull the show: https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/latest-netflix-boss-says-they-wont-remove-dave-chappelles-standup-show-20211011

One of the trans employees who organized a protest has been fired (for leaking confidential company information): https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/oct/15/netflix-fires-employee-trans-activist-for-allegedly-leaking-internal-documents

So Dave Chappelle's show is not being "cancelled." It's facing criticism and controversy - which is absolutely nothing new in human history. I get that there are people who miss the days when they could contemptuously ridicule gay and trans people without any blowback at all, but those days are (thankfully, in my opinion) gone. Now you can still do it, and you get to rake in your millions while people criticize you (which is their right to do).

Some cancellation. Boo hoo.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/22/21 at 8:30 pm

Do any of you have any idea what T.E.R.F. stands for? 

Trans
Exclusionary
Radical
Feminist

He basically said that he was on the side of excluding trans women from radical feminism because they're not "real" women.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/22/21 at 8:42 pm

Do any of you have any idea what T.E.R.F. stands for? 

Trans
Exclusionary
Radical
Feminist

He basically said that he was on the side of excluding trans women from radical feminism because they're not "real" women.

Just to be clear. the term TERF was coined for feminists who exclude the rights of transgender women from their advocacy of women's rights because they do not consider them "real women". Hence "Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist". I.E. Radical feminists who exclude transwomen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/23/21 at 7:26 am

Just to be clear. the term TERF was coined for feminists who exclude the rights of transgender women from their advocacy of women's rights because they do not consider them "real women". Hence "Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist". I.E. Radical feminists who exclude transwomen.

They got an either entitlement-oriented or cancellation-oriented subgroup for anything these days.

I myself am a P. O. C. W. M. T.  (Plain Old Catholic White Man Trucker)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/23/21 at 11:58 pm

Honestly? I think that Mr. Chappelle should be stripped of his Emmy.  The Television Academy should never be supportive of transphobic and homophobic people.  I never thought that Dave Chappelle was funny in the first place.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 6:22 am

I never thought that Dave Chappelle was funny in the first place.

You should watch his True Hollywood Stories:Rick James.  It’s hilarious.  ;D

ry2XlLKctiI

ff8LEx9Mw54

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 2:56 pm

Then there’s his hilarious take on R Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafRE74JGZ8

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/24/21 at 10:40 pm

Then there’s his hilarious take on R Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafRE74JGZ8

My favorite is the Player Hater's Ball.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIwj1TQmFs

Subject: Caitlyn Jenner says Dave Chappelle is '100% right'

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/21 at 5:27 pm

Caitlyn Jenner says Dave Chappelle is '100% right' to face down angry transgender mob over his new Netflix special and says backlash against him is 'woke cancel culture run amok, trying to silence free speech'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10136147/Caitlyn-Jenner-says-Dave-Chappelle-100-right-face-angry-transgender-mob.html

Excerpt:

Caitlyn Jenner has come to Dave Chappelle's defense amid controversy over his Netflix special The Closer, saying the comic is '100% right' to stand up to transgender protesters angered by his gags. Jenner, the world's most famous transgender woman, tweeted Tuesday: 'Dave Chappelle is 100% right. 'This isn't about the LGBTQ movement. It's about woke cancel culture run amok, trying to silence free speech.'

Written By: Emman on 10/29/21 at 10:00 pm

I've had the misfortune to talk to one of these "gender critical feminists", that's what they call themselves, she was batsheesh insane, like seriously.

Transmen wanted to change the venus symbol on some product and she went on an unhinged rant against cis men wanting to invade womyn's spaces. She just rage reacted and assumed the controversy was about transwomen, when I confronted her man hating rant she accused me of basically being a radical trans activist. Her strawman was I was saying that cismen and transmen were women :o, like what.

They strike me as a kind of insular cult or something.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 10:10 pm

I've had the misfortune to talk to one of these "gender critical feminists", that's what they call themselves, she was batsheesh insane, like seriously.

Transmen wanted to change the venus symbol on some product and she went on an unhinged rant against cis men wanting to invade womyn's spaces. She just rage reacted and assumed the controversy was about transwomen, when I confronted her man hating rant she accused me of basically being a radical trans activist. Her strawman was I was saying that cismen and transmen were women :o, like what.

They strike me as a kind of insular cult or something.

Reminds me of this letter from a student at Oberlin College in Ohio that  has gone viral. It seems there is a dorm set aside specifically as a "safe space" for women and trans people only. When cisgender men had to enter to install radiators, the residents of the dorm flipped out and a great hue and cry arose.  All I can say is that if they waited until they could get transgender contractors and plumbers to install the radiators it would have been a long, cold winter in Ohio.

Here's the letter that went viral:

https://oberlinreview.org/25000/opinions/male-workers-allowed-into-baldwin-unsettling-residents/

Excerpt:

In general, I am very averse to people entering my personal space. This anxiety was compounded by the fact that the crew would be strangers, and they were more than likely to be cisgender men.

Baldwin Cottage is the home of the Women and Trans Collective. The College website describes the dorm as “a close-knit community that provides women and transgendered persons with a safe space for discussion, communal living, and personal development.” Cisgender men are not allowed to live on the second and third floors, and many residents choose not to invite cisgender men to that space.

I was angry, scared, and confused.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/30/21 at 1:08 am

Reminds me of this letter from a student at Oberlin College in Ohio that  has gone viral. It seems there is a dorm set aside specifically as a "safe space" for women and trans people only. When cisgender men had to enter to install radiators, the residents of the dorm flipped out and a great hue and cry arose.  All I can say is that if they waited until they could get transgender contractors and plumbers to install the radiators it would have been a long, cold winter in Ohio.

Here's the letter that went viral:

https://oberlinreview.org/25000/opinions/male-workers-allowed-into-baldwin-unsettling-residents/

Excerpt:

In general, I am very averse to people entering my personal space. This anxiety was compounded by the fact that the crew would be strangers, and they were more than likely to be cisgender men.

Baldwin Cottage is the home of the Women and Trans Collective. The College website describes the dorm as “a close-knit community that provides women and transgendered persons with a safe space for discussion, communal living, and personal development.” Cisgender men are not allowed to live on the second and third floors, and many residents choose not to invite cisgender men to that space.

I was angry, scared, and confused.

F*ck 'em, let 'em freeze, that's what I say.

What I want to know is, why is fragility and weakness and helplessness considered to be so virtuous by the radical left? And seriously, who the hell actually uses the word "cisgender" in normal, everyday conversation?

That's one reason I like having a blue-collar job where I pretty much work by myself for most of the night, so I don't ever have to worry about running into any nonsense like this.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/30/21 at 1:10 am

Also, back to the original topic at hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ290aGmVFY

Tell 'em Dave.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/21 at 7:11 am

F*ck 'em, let 'em freeze, that's what I say.

What I want to know is, why is fragility and weakness and helplessness considered to be so virtuous by the radical left? And seriously, who the hell actually uses the word "cisgender" in normal, everyday conversation?

That's one reason I like having a blue-collar job where I pretty much work by myself for most of the night, so I don't ever have to worry about running into any nonsense like this.

We currently live in a victim culture. Victims are the new celebrities. People now don't even feel justified in being alive unless they can show you they are "oppressed" in some way or have somehow been victimized. It comes from academia. It all basically started circa the 90s but has roots much deeper. I recall back in the 70s people did not have this mentality. People who were indeed victims or a part of an oppressed group didn't label themselves as victims. They strove to overcome and felt a sense of purpose. It's not for nothing that "We Shall Overcome" was the theme song of the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Today's theme song might as well be "we shall run to our safe space".

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/21 at 7:36 am

We currently live in a victim culture. Victims are the new celebrities. People now don't even feel justified in being alive unless they can show you they are "oppressed" in some way or have somehow been victimized. It comes from academia. It all basically started circa the 90s but has roots much deeper. I recall back in the 70s people did not have this mentality. People who were indeed victims or a part of an oppressed group didn't label themselves as victims. They strove to overcome and felt a sense of purpose. It's not for nothing that "We Shall Overcome" was the theme song of the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Today's theme song might as well be "we shall run to our safe space".

Amen. Today’s self-manufactured victims are wimps, crying out to the world “Validate me!” 

Hey, don’t get me wrong. If some dude with a schlong wants to wear a bra and pretend he’s a woman, I say go ahead, knock yourself out. Free country and all. Just don’t expect for me to go along with the charade, that’s all.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/21 at 3:56 pm

Looks like the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame is bucking to get canceled as well.

Chappelle served as presenter for Jay Z’s induction ceremony last night.  8)

https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/rock-hall-2021-dave-chappelle-inducts-jay-z-full-speech.html

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/31/21 at 4:26 pm

https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/rock-hall-2021-dave-chappelle-inducts-jay-z-full-speech.html

Yup, never let a good crisis go to waste.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/01/21 at 3:52 am

Why would he be a presenter, Isn't it supposed to be someone like his wife or someone that he knows like a friend or someone that knows his music? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/21 at 4:59 am

Why would he be a presenter, Isn't it supposed to be someone like his wife or someone that he knows like a friend or someone that knows his music? ???

Maybe Chappelle and Z are pals?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/01/21 at 8:33 am

Why are you assuming that Chapelle doesn't know Jay Z's music?

Written By: Howard on 11/02/21 at 3:53 am

Maybe Chappelle and Z are pals?

That could be, maybe you're right.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/02/21 at 5:36 am

Dave and Jay go way back…

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jay-z-why-dave-chappelle-131722582.html

Check for new replies or respond here...