inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The new Superman comes out as bisexual in an upcoming comic

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/11/21 at 3:38 pm

www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/entertainment/superman-comes-out-bisexual-jon-kent-cec/index.html

Excerpts:

Superman's done since he first appeared in comic books 80 years ago, almost. He's saved the world more than a few times. He's died and come back to life. He dodged punches from Muhammad Ali and even faced off against White supremacists.

Until this year, though, every comic iteration of Superman has been besotted with longtime love Lois Lane. But in an upcoming issue of a new "Superman" series, the Man of Steel enters into a queer relationship.
The fifth issue of the DC comic series "Superman: Son of Kal-El" will confirm that the new Superman -- Jon Kent, child of Clark Kent and Lane -- is bisexual after falling for Jay Nakamura, a male reporter, DC announced this week.

Series writer Tom Taylor said the evolution of this new Superman is keeping with the values the character has always represented -- and, importantly, reflects the experiences of many comic fans.
"Superman's symbol has always stood for hope, for truth and for justice," Taylor said in a statement. "Today, that symbol represents something more. Today, more people can see themselves in the most powerful superhero in comics."
In an August interview with Nerdist, Taylor teased that Kent would find a "very good friend very early on ... and they're going to have a big role in this."

NPR's Glen Weldon, who's written a book on Batman and regularly writes about comics, said that the queering of characters like Robin and Superman is "progress," but because the characters who come out are not the canonical iterations of heroes -- Drake isn't the only Robin in the DC Universe, and Jon Kent's father will always be the best-known Superman -- the plot developments aren't as significant or genre-shifting as they seem, Weldon wrote this week.
Still, Weldon said, a bisexual Superman and queer Robin are worth celebrating -- they're not a one-dimensional villain or side character who's quickly killed off, but the "heroes of their own stories."
Fans can read more about Kent's burgeoning romance when the fifth issue of "Superman: Son of Kal-El" is released on November 9.

Subject: Re: The new Superman comes out as bisexual in an upcoming comic

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/21 at 4:53 pm

This is weird.  In today's times though, it's understandable that it is the son of Clark and Lois.  If it was Clark Kent coming out as Bi-Sexual, I am sure many DC Comics fans would be super pissed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/11/21 at 4:58 pm

This is weird.  In today's times though, it's understandable that it is the son of Clark and Lois.  If it was Clark Kent coming out as Bi-Sexual, I am sure many DC Comics fans would be super pissed.

They made him look like Shawn Mendes.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/21 at 8:43 pm

They made him look like Shawn Mendes.  :D

Superman is Canadian, so why not make him look like a Canadian pop star :D

Written By: Howard on 10/12/21 at 4:15 am

Why do cartoon superheros have to have a label? No one cares if Superman is gay or lesbian or whatever just be yourself, that's it. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/21 at 7:40 am

Why do cartoon superheros have to have a label? No one cares if Superman is gay or lesbian or whatever just be yourself, that's it. ::)

They want to appeal to the masses, but he wouldn't be the only character like that in DC.  Batwoman is a lesbian, and the TV show based on that character just got renewed for a 3rd Season

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/21 at 10:19 am

Superman is Canadian, so why not make him look like a Canadian pop star :D

Superman is Canadian? I thought he came from Krypton.  ???

Written By: CarCar on 10/12/21 at 7:09 pm

Well his a comic book character, people can rewrite the traditional Superman story any way they want. Fan fiction is a thing for a reason lol.

There’s no reason to be upset or have any outrage over this

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/21 at 8:38 pm

ScFwRoLhR2s

Written By: Howard on 10/13/21 at 4:14 am

They want to appeal to the masses, but he wouldn't be the only character like that in DC.  Batwoman is a lesbian, and the TV show based on that character just got renewed for a 3rd Season

So why doesn't Batwoman have any lesbian encounters?

Written By: Howard on 10/13/21 at 4:15 am

Krypton is his superpower.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/13/21 at 9:13 am

Krypton is his superpower.

Krypton is the PLANET Superman came from, Howard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 9:21 am

So why doesn't Batwoman have any lesbian encounters?
It was off camera...

Subject: Re: Dean Cain slams DC Comics over new Superman coming out

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/13/21 at 4:44 pm

Dean Cain slams DC Comics over new Superman coming out

www.aol.com/dean-cain-slams-dc-comics-220408513.html

Excerpts:

Dean Cain says there's nothing "bold or brave" about the current Superman coming out as bisexual. The actor, best known for playing Superman in the '90s, appeared on Fox & Friends where he criticized the types of issues tackled in the new comic book series.

"It's hard for me to keep track of all the different Supermen and the different worlds and adventures that he has in the comics," he began on Tuesday's show. "They said it's a bold new direction, I say they're bandwagoning."

Cain continued, "Robin just came out as bi — who's really shocked about that one? The new Captain America is gay. My daughter in Supergirl, where I played the father, was gay. So I don't think it's bold or brave or some crazy new direction. If they had done this 20 years ago, perhaps that would be bold or brave."

"Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they'll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay," Cain continued. "They're talking about having him fight climate change and the deportation of refugees and he's dating a hacktivist — whatever a hactivist is."

"Why don't they have him fight the injustices that created the refugees whose deportation he's protesting?" Cain asked. "That would be brave, I'd read that. Or fighting for the rights of women to attend school and have the ability to work and live and boys not to be raped by men under the new warm and fuzzy Taliban — that would be brave. There's real evil in this world today, real corruption and government overreach, plenty of things to fight against. Human trafficking — real and actual slavery going on … It'd be great to tackle those issues."

Written By: Howard on 10/14/21 at 4:08 am

Krypton is the PLANET Superman came from, Howard.

Wait, wasn't it Kryptonite?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/14/21 at 5:17 am

Have they determined which, uh, *position* Superman will play, so to speak? ???  :-X

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/14/21 at 8:33 am

Wait, wasn't it Kryptonite?  ???

Kryptonite is the substance that cause Superman to lose his powers. It's pieces of the planet Krypton that fell to Earth when it blew up. At least that's how it used t be. I don't know if they changed all that now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/21 at 8:36 am

Kryptonite is the substance that cause Superman to lose his powers. It's pieces of the planet Krypton that fell to Earth when it blew up. At least that's how it used t be. I don't know if they changed all that now.
As listed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite , Kryptonite, over the years has taken many forms, but I only know it as green.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/21 at 4:17 am

Have they determined which, uh, *position* Superman will play, so to speak? ???  :-X

That's for them to determine.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/15/21 at 9:21 am

That's for them to determine.

For whom to determine?

Written By: Howard on 10/16/21 at 6:45 am

For whom to determine?

The people who write the comic.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/21 at 10:36 am

Amber Ruffin Tells Fanboys Panicking About Bisexual Superman To Get a Grip

www.themarysue.com/amber-ruffin-tells-fanboys-panicking-about-bisexual-superman-to-get-a-grip/

Excerpt:

In response to the this fanboy meltdown, comedian Amber Ruffin delved into the issue in her segment “Bitch Please” on The Amber Ruffin Show. She calls out the folks claiming that the revelation ruined their childhood by quipping, “If a comic book character being bisexual ruined your childhood, your childhood was trash to begin with.”

Ruffin advises these people to focus on things that are “literally ruining childhoods’, such as school shootings, anti-maskers, and anti-vaxxers who are endangering childhoods across the country. Also, Ruffin notes “Superman is an alien from an alien planet. Humans are a whole other species from him. And you’re okay with his inter-species love affair with Lois Lane but his son can’t get his groove on with a male reporter?!? Bitch please!”

Now only one question remains. WHO THE HELL IS AMBER RUFFIN?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...