inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Film Director

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/22/21 at 5:14 am

Actor Alec Baldwin, in some sort of freak accident, has shot and killed film director Halyna Hutchins using a prop gun.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-rust-incident-santa-fe-1235094931/

Oddly, in the film, Baldwin plays the role of an infamous outlaw, whose 13-year-old grandson is convicted of an accidental murder.

This is weirdly reminiscent of the story of Jon-Erik Hexum, who died back in ‘84 when he held a .44 Magnum prop gun up against his temple, and let go with the trigger. The chamber pressure pushed a quarter-sized pice of Hexum’s skull into his brain and he never recovered. In that film, Hexum’s role was as a weapons expert.

Subject: Re: Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Film Director

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/22/21 at 8:31 am

This is weirdly reminiscent of the story of Jon-Erik Hexum, who died back in ‘84 when he held a .44 Magnum prop gun up against his temple, and let go with the trigger. The chamber pressure pushed a quarter-sized pice of Hexum’s skull into his brain and he never recovered. In that film, Hexum’s role was as a weapons expert.

Also reminiscent of Brandon Lee.

Written By: Ripley on 10/22/21 at 10:24 am

Also reminiscent of Brandon Lee.

That’s what I was thinking.

Written By: Elor on 10/22/21 at 10:36 am

How does that even work? I mean seriously how can there even be live ammo at the set and how can someone load a prop gun without noticing the difference? A live round is heavier, and has a bullet on top. No way someone with half a brain can confuse it for a blank. https://www.smiliesuche.de/smileys/kopf-gegen-wand/banghead.gif

BTW German media says he killed the camera woman and injured the director.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/22/21 at 10:45 am

How does that even work? I mean seriously how can there even be live ammo at the set and how can someone load a prop gun without noticing the difference? A live round is heavier, and has a bullet on top. No way someone with half a brain can confuse it for a blank. https://www.smiliesuche.de/smileys/kopf-gegen-wand/banghead.gif

I always suspect that there is more to these things than meet the eye. With Brandon Lee especially, conspiracy theories abounded.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/22/21 at 11:49 am

My understanding is, Halyna Hutchins was the cinematographer.  The director who was wounded is Joel Souza.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/22/21 at 11:50 am

Actor Alec Baldwin, in some sort of freak accident, has shot and killed film director Halyna Hutchins using a prop gun.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-rust-incident-santa-fe-1235094931/

So very tragic  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(    R.I.P. Halyna Hutchins

Written By: Wink-182 on 10/22/21 at 5:08 pm

I can only imagine how horrible he must feel, prayers to his family and the family of Halyna Hutchins.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/22/21 at 7:50 pm

I can only imagine how horrible he must feel, prayers to his family and the family of Halyna Hutchins.

And now there's an 8-year-old little boy who's without his mother.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/23/21 at 2:38 am

Unlike Brandon Lee you cant really sorry for Hexum who was a fool basically going "What Does This Button Do?".

Written By: Howard on 10/23/21 at 4:02 am

It wasn't on purpose like he had a reason to shoot, it was just an accident.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/24/21 at 12:05 am

How does that even work? I mean seriously how can there even be live ammo at the set and how can someone load a prop gun without noticing the difference? A live round is heavier and has a bullet on top. No way someone with half a brain can confuse it for a blank. https://www.smiliesuche.de/smileys/kopf-gegen-wand/banghead.gif

BTW German media says he killed the camerawoman and injured the director.

Nobody knows how a prop gun loaded with live ammo even got on to the set? The associate director thought that it was loaded with blanks and didn't know that it wasn't loaded with blanks until Alec fired the gun.
My god I have a feeling that this incident is going to haunt Alec for the rest of his life.

Written By: Elor on 10/24/21 at 1:25 am

Nobody knows how a prop gun loaded with live ammo even got on to the set? The associate director thought that it was loaded with blanks and didn't know that it wasn't loaded with blanks until Alec fired the gun.
My god I have a feeling that this incident is going to haunt Alec for the rest of his life.
The question still remains: Why was there live ammo at the set readily available to be loaded into a prop gun. It must have been in the same place as the blanks. And can a loader be so incompetent that he/she can't tell the difference?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 6:02 am

The question still remains: Why was there live ammo at the set readily available to be loaded into a prop gun. It must have been in the same place as the blanks. And can a loader be so incompetent that he/she can't tell the difference?

Whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/21 at 7:28 am

And why couldn't it be a small play gun you sometimes find at those candy stores?

Written By: Elor on 10/24/21 at 10:37 am

And why couldn't it be a small play gun you sometimes find at those candy stores?
Because those don't look real in a movie....

Written By: Howard on 10/24/21 at 1:35 pm

Will Alec go to jail because of this? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 2:07 pm

Not likely. But the family of the deceased person are gonna sue his brains out because if I recall correctly, he owns the company making the movie.

If he’s smart the case will never go to trial, and a settlement will be worked out quickly. This is an absolute clear cut case of incompetence on the part of the film production team.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/24/21 at 2:22 pm

No, it's very unlikely that Alec will go the jail for this because he's fully cooperating with the police so that they can investigate what happened and how they can keep mishaps like this from happening again.  It's very likely that whoever didn't follow safety protocols will likely have to pay for this. 

Written By: karen on 10/24/21 at 3:59 pm

Was it definitely live ammo?

Because I heard that it was some debris in the gun barrel that hit something (maybe the camera?) and broke off a piece of plastic. Said piece of plastic did the damage.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/21 at 5:15 pm

Because I heard that it was some debris in the gun barrel that hit something (maybe the camera?) and broke off a piece of plastic. Said piece of plastic did the damage.

As I understand things the projectile traveled clear through the shoulder of the deceased and hit the other guy.

.44 Magnum makes one hell of a mess.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/24/21 at 9:31 pm

It's all so shocking and weird. When I heard about it yesterday, I thought about it for a long time.

Well, may she rest in peace now.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/24/21 at 11:04 pm

According to this article, https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-prop-gun-shooting-everything-we-know/6132795001/, the assistant director has been accused of violating safety protocols on other movie sets besides this one.  So, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he wound up being held responsible for this.

He shouted out "COLD GUN!"! before he handed the gun to Alec.  COLD GUN means that there aren't live bullets in the chamber and that it's safe to use.  He apparently didn't check to make sure that the chamber was free of live bullets before he handed the gun off to Alec.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/24/21 at 11:12 pm

According to this article, https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-prop-gun-shooting-everything-we-know/6132795001/, the assistant director has been accused of violating safety protocols on other movie sets besides this one.  So, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he wound up being held responsible for this.

He shouted out "COLD GUN!"! before he handed the gun to Alec.  COLD GUN means that there aren't live bullets in the chamber and that it's safe to use.  He apparently didn't check to make sure that the chamber was free of live bullets before he handed the gun off to Alec.

It can be argued that Alec could/should have checked the gun himself before firing it. I imagine that he followed the current safety protocol concerning firearms on movie sets and therefore won't be held responsible for this tragic accident, but I also imagine that this protocol may change after this incident, which would require actors to do one final safety check before handling the firearm themselves.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/25/21 at 2:06 am

It can be argued that Alec could/should have checked the gun himself before firing it. I imagine that he followed the current safety protocol concerning firearms on movie sets and therefore won't be held responsible for this tragic accident, but I also imagine that this protocol may change after this incident, which would require actors to do one final safety check before handling the firearm themselves.

It's already happening.  The people on the set of the ABC show The Rookie have already banned live guns from their set.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/abcs-the-rookie-bans-live-guns-on-set.html?#comments

Written By: Howard on 10/25/21 at 4:27 am

Not likely. But the family of the deceased person are gonna sue his brains out because if I recall correctly, he owns the company making the movie.

If he’s smart the case will never go to trial, and a settlement will be worked out quickly. This is an absolute clear cut case of incompetence on the part of the film production team.

This isn't looking good.  :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/25/21 at 6:08 am

I think it was the assistant director who should be held responsible for this because he didn't check the chamber before he handed the gun off to Alec so I think it would be very likely that he would be held responsible for this woman's death.
But I also think that Alec Baldwin had a responsibility to make sure that the gun wasn't loaded with live ammo.  So, we'll see who's going to be held responsible for this mishap, I absolutely refuse to call this an "accident." 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/21 at 1:51 pm

So, we'll see who's going to be held responsible for this mishap, I absolutely refuse to call this an "accident."

You're absolutely right, it wasn't an accident as much as it was a catastrophic f....foul up.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/25/21 at 2:05 pm

You're absolutely right, it wasn't an accident as much as it was a catastrophic f....foul up.

Definitely gross negligence. Especially since people knew even before the gun incident that safety procedures were lax and stormed off the set. It sounds to me like they were cutting corners.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/25/21 at 2:36 pm

Definitely gross negligence. Especially since people knew even before the gun incident that safety procedures were lax and stormed off the set. It sounds to me like they were cutting corners.

I think that's exactly right.  The cutting of corners is unacceptable.  This incident is going to haunt Alec Baldwin for the rest of his life.  Shannon Lee, Brandon Lee's sister, said that nobody should die on a movie set....period."
But Alec had no idea that there were live bullets in the chamber of the gun and how could he have known because nobody told him?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/25/21 at 4:34 pm

It sounds like everybody who's ever worked with David Halls doesn't have a very high opinion of him.  Cutting corners left and right lead him to be fired and removed from the set of Freedom"s Path in 2019 for a similar incident in which a film crew member was wounded.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10129781/Assistant-director-Alec-Baldwin-movie-fired-Freedoms-Path-gun-accident.html?ito=push-notification&ci=VGSFBbDGz0&cri=tFJr_Q8Jxc&si=43485817&xi=2ac4997b-1bf0-4c19-974b-482a0de52564&ai=10129781

I mean who does that in the first place? Doesn't check the chamber of a gun for live ammo and then hands it off to someone else who doesn't check the chamber of the gun and then doesn't tell them that the gun is loaded with live ammo? Who does that?

Written By: Howard on 10/26/21 at 3:33 am

I think that's exactly right.  The cutting of corners is unacceptable.  This incident is going to haunt Alec Baldwin for the rest of his life.  Shannon Lee, Brandon Lee's sister, said that nobody should die on a movie set....period."
But Alec had no idea that there were live bullets in the chamber of the gun and how could he have known because nobody told him?

Well, someone should've told him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/21 at 3:39 am

I cannot understand the need to have guns on the film set, when with the use of CGI and special effects can easier be employed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/26/21 at 4:52 am

I cannot understand the need to have guns on the film set, when with the use of CGI and special effects can easier be employed.

Guns are lots cheaper than paying somebody to do CGI. Well, unless somebody actually gets shot by the gun.

What I do not understand is (a) what idiot would have been bringing .44 magnum ammo anywhere near that set. And (b) why do they simply “demil” the gun so that even if you wanted to fire real ammo, you couldn’t?  It’s easy enough to do and the gun would still look 100% realistic.

The so-called “armorer” is up to her neck in culpability here.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/26/21 at 8:50 am

Guns are lots cheaper than paying somebody to do CGI. Well, unless somebody actually gets shot by the gun.

What I do not understand is (a) what idiot would have been bringing .44 magnum ammo anywhere near that set. And (b) why do they simply “demil” the gun so that even if you wanted to fire real ammo, you couldn’t?  It’s easy enough to do and the gun would still look 100% realistic.

The so-called “armorer” is up to her neck in culpability here.

Not just the armorer is up to her neck in culpability here but the assistant director could also be up to his neck in culpability since he was the one who handed the gun off to Alec without telling him that it was loaded with live ammo.  Who does that in the first place? Secondly, why wouldn't anybody who was on the set check the chamber to make sure that the gun was safe to use before shouting out "COLD GUN?"?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/26/21 at 10:27 pm

I really wish more sites online talking about the negligent homicide in the Twilight Zone movie would use “Renee Chen and Myca Le” as often as they do “Vic Morrow”,

It’s usually “2 child actors”.

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/21 at 11:32 pm

I really wish more sites online talking about the negligent homicide in the Twilight Zone movie would use “Renee Chen and Myca Le” as often as they do “Vic Morrow”,

It’s usually “2 child actors”.

Director John Landis admittedly broke California Labour laws by having those children work after hours, and for their and Morrows death, he was acquitted of an involuntary manslaughter charge and it never harmed his career

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/27/21 at 3:29 am

According to this article, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10134061/Criminal-charges-not-ruled-shooting-Alec-Baldwin-film-report.html?ito=push-notification&ci=R9Sz9M-jRq&cri=Qpeh48UAeM&si=43485817&xi=2ac4997b-1bf0-4c19-974b-482a0de52564&ai=10134061, there are going to be some criminal charges against people because there were some crew members who were shooting at cans just before someone handed the gun off to Alec.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/21 at 4:28 am

Like fake guns?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/21 at 5:23 am

Director John Landis admittedly broke California Labour laws by having those children work after hours, and for their and Morrows death, he was acquitted of an involuntary manslaughter charge and it never harmed his career

Director Boris Sagal, father of Kathy Sagal and the Doublemint Twins :-*) suffered a similar death as did Vic Morrow and the two child actors back in ‘81, when Boris walked into the tail rotor of a helicopter.

The movie that Landis and Morrow made could never be made today in 2021. People would be burning down the movie houses over the script lines that Vic had.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/21 at 5:24 am

According to this article, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10134061/Criminal-charges-not-ruled-shooting-Alec-Baldwin-film-report.html?ito=push-notification&ci=R9Sz9M-jRq&cri=Qpeh48UAeM&si=43485817&xi=2ac4997b-1bf0-4c19-974b-482a0de52564&ai=10134061, there are going to be some criminal charges against people because there were some crew members who were shooting at cans just before someone handed the gun off to Alec.

Who the hell uses a .44 Magnum to plink tin cans? I guess we now know. Idiots.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/27/21 at 2:50 pm

Who the hell uses a .44 Magnum to plink tin cans? I guess we now know. Idiots.

Well, according to my previous post the assistant director is notorious for not following film set safety protocols.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/28/21 at 1:36 am

Not just the armorer is up to her neck in culpability here but the assistant director could also be up to his neck in culpability since he was the one who handed the gun off to Alec without telling him that it was loaded with live ammo.  Who does that in the first place? Secondly, why wouldn't anybody who was on the set check the chamber to make sure that the gun was safe to use before shouting out "COLD GUN?"?

Well, according to my previous post the assistant director is notorious for not following film set safety protocols.

Alec Baldwin is not off the hook for this incident, not by a long shot (pun not intended).

First of all he was one of the executive producers for Rust, meaning he had some input as to who was hired for this crew, yet he proceeded to work with these individuals despite their reputations for shoddy work.

Second, there have been reports that several crew members walked off the set and quit due to safety concerns. Certainly Baldwin had to have been aware of this, yet he allowed the production to continue instead of halting it until these safety issues had been addressed.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, Alec Baldwin has been working in Hollywood for well over 30 years and has been in other productions where firearms were utilized, so I'd imagine that he has at least some awareness of proper firearm safety protocol and although I don't want to make any accusations, it seems quite possible that he chose to ignore these protocols despite the obvious dangers.

Alec Baldwin is an A-list Hollywood actor and he had the clout to take measures to prevent this from happening, yet he didn't. I think it's a given that the armorer and assistant director will be charged with negligent homicide. Alec Baldwin probably won't be, but I do think he is partly responsible.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/28/21 at 2:29 am

Alec Baldwin is not off the hook for this incident, not by a long shot (pun not intended).

First of all he was one of the executive producers for Rust, meaning he had some input as to who was hired for this crew, yet he proceeded to work with these individuals despite their reputations for shoddy work.

Second, there have been reports that several crew members walked off the set and quit due to safety concerns. Certainly Baldwin had to have been aware of this, yet he allowed the production to continue instead of halting it until these safety issues had been addressed.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, Alec Baldwin has been working in Hollywood for well over 30 years and has been in other productions where firearms were utilized, so I'd imagine that he has at least some awareness of proper firearm safety protocol and although I don't want to make any accusations, it seems quite possible that he chose to ignore these protocols despite the obvious dangers.

Alec Baldwin is an A-list Hollywood actor and he had the clout to take measures to prevent this from happening, yet he didn't. I think it's a given that the armorer and assistant director will be charged with negligent homicide. Alec Baldwin probably won't be, but I do think he is partly responsible.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10138995/Investigators-probing-Rust-shooting-not-exactly-sure-Alec-Baldwins-whereabouts.html?ito=push-notification&ci=MOVRGObw9P&cri=KRdJxhyxFv&si=43485817&xi=2ac4997b-1bf0-4c19-974b-482a0de52564&ai=10138995

The assistant director David Hall is now admitting that he should have checked the drum of the gun before he handed it off to Alec Baldwin.  The Armorer Hannah Guiterrez-Reed said that the guns are stored in a safe that nobody else has access to.

I don't think that anybody is saying that Alec Baldwin isn't at least 50% responsible for killing Halayna Hutchinson and wounding Joe Souza.  But how much responsibility is actually going to be put on Mr. Baldwin if charges are laid against him? I actually think that Alec is going to get off of the hook because he's cooperating with the police.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 11/09/21 at 4:27 pm

Social media has jeopardised any trial though. Especially the frequent branding of Baldwin as a cold blooded murderer of a “helpless” woman. A conviction could easily be vacated as unsafe.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/16/21 at 12:30 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2021/10/29/rust-shootingwho-could-be-held-legally-responsible-and-why/?sh=1b5aeef91cfb

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/23 at 1:59 am

It's been reported the day before yesterday that Alec Baldwin and Hannah Guiterrez Reed are being charged with Involuntary Manslaughter in the death of Halanya Hutchins.  The Assistant Director David Hall was also charged but took a plea deal.

q1qgHUtuAXU

Alec Baldwin and Hannah Guiterrez Reed I'm sure will get a fair trial and all of the facts will be known when the trial date is set.

Check for new replies or respond here...