inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pete Seeger to be honored with US postage stamp

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/02/21 at 12:36 pm

The U.S. Postal Service announced today (November 1, 2021) that it will issue a stamp honoring Pete Seeger some time in 2022. The attached photo shows the preliminary design, based upon a photograph taken by Pete's son Daniel Seeger.

I'm happy to see this. My only suggestion is maybe show more of the banjo.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/252336149_10223169012706250_7610566865866626714_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=OfDeHmhnW_gAX-e6V_Z&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=2694fcf4392e9a3e7ce0b392538b20ff&oe=61A7A1FC

Subject: Re: Pete Seeger to be honored with US postage stamp

Written By: Contigo on 11/02/21 at 12:51 pm

The U.S. Postal Service announced today (November 1, 2021) that it will issue a stamp honoring Pete Seeger some time in 2022. The attached photo shows the preliminary design, based upon a photograph taken by Pete's son Daniel Seeger.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/252336149_10223169012706250_7610566865866626714_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=OfDeHmhnW_gAX-e6V_Z&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=2694fcf4392e9a3e7ce0b392538b20ff&oe=61A7A1FC

Where have all the banjos gone

Great news! He should have been awarded one  long time ago.

I remember ages and ages ago, someone mentioned Pete Seeger, and someone else replied "Oh I love Pete Seeger and the silver bullet band, my favorite song is 'night moves' "  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/21 at 4:15 pm

I have said this many times, I have always felt like Pete was a family friend. He lived not too far from us when I was growing up. In 1966, he did a (free) concert for a fundraiser for an organization that my dad was involved with. I have a copy of the letter the organization wrote to Pete that we found in my dad's files when we were cleaning out his house. There is also a signed pic from Pete "To the (our last name) children." And after he signed his named, he drew a banjo. His pic is in my high school yearbook because he would often come by. And of course that pic I have of him with my step-father that I posted a couple of times.

Cat 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/02/21 at 6:40 pm

I have said this many times, I have always felt like Pete was a family friend. He lived not too far from us when I was growing up. In 1966, he did a (free) concert for a fundraiser for an organization that my dad was involved with. I have a copy of the letter the organization wrote to Pete that we found in my dad's files when we were cleaning out his house. There is also a signed pic from Pete "To the (our last name) children." And after he signed his named, he drew a banjo. His pic is in my high school yearbook because he would often come by. And of course that pic I have of him with my step-father that I posted a couple of times.

Cat

I have a good Pete Seeger story. I was in a used record store and they had a bunch of records for $1 as these places sometimes do. It's always mostly junk. But this one had "Pete Seeger Sings Traditional Christmas Carols" on Folkways Records for $1. Both the record and the cover were in impeccable condition. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Folkways (they have since been acquired by the Smithsonian) but the records came in VERY sturdy, stiff cardboard. There was also a multi-page insert booklet included with a history of the songs and the sheet music! I grabbed it. The man at the counter was perturbed. he said "this shouldn't be $1" in a nasty way. I was ready to make a bit of a scene because by law if something is marked at a certain price, even if it's a mistake, that's the price you pay, period. But he relented pretty easily. Likely the Millennial staff that worked there filed the record in the $1 bin, having no idea of it's value or even what it was. They probably just saw what looked to them like an old fashioned thing. It's a terrific holiday album. Sometimes I listen to it when it's not even the Christmas season.  ;)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pNgAAOSwy~JfxxkC/s-l300.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/03/21 at 3:59 am

That's wonderful. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/21 at 1:16 pm

I have a good Pete Seeger story. I was in a used record store and they had a bunch of records for $1 as these places sometimes do. It's always mostly junk. But this one had "Pete Seeger Sings Traditional Christmas Carols" on Folkways Records for $1. Both the record and the cover were in impeccable condition. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Folkways (they have since been acquired by the Smithsonian) but the records came in VERY sturdy, stiff cardboard. There was also a multi-page insert booklet included with a history of the songs and the sheet music! I grabbed it. The man at the counter was perturbed. he said "this shouldn't be $1" in a nasty way. I was ready to make a bit of a scene because by law if something is marked at a certain price, even if it's a mistake, that's the price you pay, period. But he relented pretty easily. Likely the Millennial staff that worked there filed the record in the $1 bin, having no idea of it's value or even what it was. They probably just saw what looked to them like an old fashioned thing. It's a terrific holiday album. Sometimes I listen to it when it's not even the Christmas season.  ;)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pNgAAOSwy~JfxxkC/s-l300.jpg

SCORE!

Another Pete story. It was about the same time as that pic was taken of Pete & my step-dad. Actually, I think it might have been a week or two before. Pete was playing outside at a park along the Hudson. Another fundraiser but this included a pumpkin sale. Each pumpkin purchased, some much went to the cause-that sort of thing. So, we went there to buy a pumpkin and to hear/watch Pete. My mother went up to the stage and asked Pete about a song she remember him doing a long time ago. Pete was like, "Oh wow. I had forgotten about that song." He tried to recall it. He could only remember bits of it but my mother was very happy to even hear that bit of the song.

I THINK this is the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u644E46rGq0

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/04/21 at 1:39 pm

SCORE!

Another Pete story. It was about the same time as that pic was taken of Pete & my step-dad. Actually, I think it might have been a week or two before. Pete was playing outside at a park along the Hudson. Another fundraiser but this included a pumpkin sale. Each pumpkin purchased, some much went to the cause-that sort of thing. So, we went there to buy a pumpkin and to hear/watch Pete. My mother went up to the stage and asked Pete about a song she remember him doing a long time ago. Pete was like, "Oh wow. I had forgotten about that song." He tried to recall it. He could only remember bits of it but my mother was very happy to even hear that bit of the song.

Cat

Fun song!  It says something that he was so approachable that your mother could just go right up. And that he was at least WILLING to honor the request, even if he couldn't remember it.  It makes it all the more special that he even tried.  :)

Here's one I could be singing these days  ;D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26cdta-NdM

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/21 at 1:51 pm

Fun song!  It says something that he was so approachable that your mother could just go right up. And that he was at least WILLING to honor the request, even if he couldn't remember it.  It makes it all the more special that he even tried.  :)

Here's one I could be singing these days  ;D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26cdta-NdM

He was VERY approachable. That photo that I kept referring to, is also proof. My parents just ran into him that day and he acted as though they were long lost friends. I'm sure he didn't know who they were or maybe he did remember them from that pumpkin thing. And my mother ALWAYS had her camera with her (the days before smart phones and now everyone has a camera now).

Carlos also has a Pete story. He saw him at Carnegie Hall and after the show, Carlos went up on stage with his kids. He greeted them as if they were old friends.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/04/21 at 3:52 pm

He was VERY approachable. T

Cat

Richie Havens was that way too. I met him a few times and he would always talk to me like I was an old friend he had just been talking to ten minutes before. He was a true hippie in the best sense of the word.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2lZfHuO-sP5GEI1zitL5ykzVWmin6XUbEgg&usqp=CAU

Check for new replies or respond here...