inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think we'll make it to 2030?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/22 at 1:33 pm

I'm thinking the world may end before then and we may not even see 2030.

Subject: Re: Do you think we'll make it to 2030?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/22 at 2:08 pm

If you believe what I believe, that there is a better life outside of the one on this earth then the thought of the world ending doesn't seem so bad.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/02/22 at 2:27 pm

They’ve been predicting the end of the world since October 22, 1844.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/22 at 2:29 pm

They’ve been predicting the end of the world since October 22, 1844.

I did my undergraduate Honor's Thesis on that.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/02/22 at 2:35 pm

Cat

Cool.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/22 at 3:11 pm

I grew up in the cold war era. We were under constant threat of so-called "nuclear annihilation". Kids had "air raid drills" in schools where they had to duck under their desks. I never had to do that, but we had an air raid drill where we had to file out of the classroom and stand against the wall of the corridor. As if that would do anything to save anybody. Trust me, this end of the world never comes. The world still wags. In fact, it strikes me that it is somewhat of an exercise in egocentrism for people to think the world will end in their lifetime. Of all the times the world could have ended before or after their lifetimes, it will only happen in THEIR silly little lifetime. Pure egocentrism. I could say the same about the Second Coming, but I don't want to get into that territory here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/22 at 3:30 pm

I grew up in the cold war era. We were under constant threat of so-called "nuclear annihilation". Kids had "air raid drills" in schools where they had to duck under their desks. I never had to do that, but we had an air raid drill where we had to file out of the classroom and stand against the wall of the corridor. As if that would do anything to save anybody. Trust me, this end of the world never comes. The world still wags. In fact, it strikes me that it is somewhat of an exercise in egocentrism for people to think the world will end in their lifetime. Of all the times the world could have ended before or after their lifetimes, it will only happen in THEIR silly little lifetime. Pure egocentrism. I could say the same about the Second Coming, but I don't want to get into that territory here.

They stopped the air raid drills by the time I got to school. But yeah, living under the threat of nuclear annihilation was interesting-and being in the military during the cold war was also interesting.

Even if the bomb(s) were dropped-life would still go on. I'm sure you remember movies like Threads & The Day After. Even Mad Max and The Day After Tomorrow. There was still life on the planet-it was just different. Even if an asteroid hit the planet, life would still go on. Look what happened the last time an asteroid hit. Life continues but in a different form. 

The only time when life will cease to exist on this planet is when the sun dies in about another 10 billion years give or take a day or two.

Cat

Written By: Emman on 01/02/22 at 3:31 pm

I've been thinking about this from the position of the US going to war with China.

The media has been hyping up the "China" threat lately, everything from the CCP censorship(how ironic ::)), Hong Kong protests, Olympics, feminism, Taiwan ect. 

But especially in regard to Taiwan, that could inflame a situation that would turn into World War 3, we're talking about mass extinction if that happens. There's a US foreign policy apparatus that is literally obsessed with war and regime change, the people involved imo are evil but do they have any self-preservation instincts?

If the bad future Taiwan situation happens, I hope there is a mass anti-war movement in the US that at least puts up a hell of a resistance to this crap.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 3:26 am

Cat
Was that the William Miller "Great Disappointment"?

Written By: Howard on 01/03/22 at 3:46 am

It's not going to end, don't believe what you read or hear sometimes.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 3:51 am

Planet Earth will continue with cockroaches as the survivors.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/03/22 at 7:41 am

I don't know if humans will make it to 2030, but the Earth will be fine.

09FmRNb3Krg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/03/22 at 7:55 am

Just focus on making it through today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 10:07 am

Just focus on making it through each day?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/22 at 3:03 pm

Was that the William Miller "Great Disappointment"?

Yup. But William Miller did NOT set the date. One of his followers did. He said "ABOUT 1844." What got me was that his followers not only gave away all their possessions but donned white robes and went up on roofs and trees because the ascend into Heaven will be shorter. Miller himself spend the day at home.

William Miller's homestead (and gravesite) is just a hop, skip & a jump from where I am sitting right now. 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/22 at 3:06 pm

Yup. But William Miller did NOT set the date. One of his followers did. He said "ABOUT 1844." What got me was that his followers not only gave away all their possessions but donned white robes and went up on roofs and trees because the ascend into Heaven will be shorter. Miller himself spend the day at home.

William Miller's homestead (and gravesite) is just a hop, skip & a jump from where I am sitting right now. 

Cat
...ascend into Heaven by jumping of the roof, angels catching them?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/22 at 5:03 pm

...ascend into Heaven by jumping of the roof, angels catching them?

Who knows. In all my research, I never came across how the believers felt the day after.

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/22 at 5:14 pm

Given all the craziness happening in the world right now and all the built-up political tension, I highly doubt we will make it to 2030... I think US and China will go to war soon. Everyone knows WW3 will bring an end to the world, given its nuclear power.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/03/22 at 5:57 pm

Just focus on making it through each day?

Exactly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/22 at 12:39 am

Given all the craziness happening in the world right now and all the built-up political tension, I highly doubt we will make it to 2030... I think US and China will go to war soon. Everyone knows WW3 will bring an end to the world, given its nuclear power.
Do you mean nuclear weapons, not power?

Written By: Howard on 01/04/22 at 3:06 pm

Planet Earth will continue with cockroaches as the survivors.

Is that all?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/04/22 at 3:07 pm

Don't worry about what will happen 8 years from now.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/22 at 3:08 pm

I think you worry too much.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/22 at 8:22 am

Is that all?  ???
That is what the scientists say.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/22 at 3:57 pm

I think I'll make it to 2030.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/22 at 4:01 am

I think I'll make it to 2030.
We'll have to sweep those 'roaches away first?

Check for new replies or respond here...