inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV will just be full of reality shows in the future

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/22 at 11:04 pm

People will get sick of TV in how it is right now. It will all just become reality shows.

Subject: Re: TV will just be full of reality shows in the future

Written By: duenas8 on 01/08/22 at 3:18 am

What kind of reality shows? Will we get back to the 2000’s type?

Written By: Howard on 01/08/22 at 7:12 am

People will get sick of TV in how it is right now. It will all just become reality shows.

I think family sitcoms will start to slowly fade away as we will most likely get more & more reality shows on TV.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/08/22 at 7:41 am

Fine by me, I stopped watching cable TV years ago. All the good stuff is on the streaming services now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/08/22 at 8:14 am

This is all a moot point. It absolutely doesn't matter how network broadcast TV ends up or whether it's reality shows. Network TV is toast, just like terrestrial radio. It's in the dumpster. We live in an on demand culture now. Nobody is watching so-called "appointment TV". Ratings have tanked. About 10 people watched the Oscars, for example, and ratings keep going down, down, down. People are streaming what they want, when they want. And the quality is there as well. So to even worry or predict what network TV will be doing is like saying "the Titanic will be changing it's decor". Doesn't mater. Down, down, down it goes.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/08/22 at 9:16 am

As nostalgic as I am for the 2000's, one thing I don't miss is the reality TV craze of the early-to-mid 00's. I liked it when it started to fade and shows like The Office (reality TV backlash) and sitcoms like HIMYM and Big Bang Theory premiered, as well as action/adventure shows like Lost, Prison Break, etc.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/22 at 1:04 pm

Fine by me, I stopped watching cable TV years ago. All the good stuff is on the streaming services now.

Everybody is streaming a lot of shows and pay per views too.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/22 at 1:05 pm

As nostalgic as I am for the 2000's, one thing I don't miss is the reality TV craze of the early-to-mid 00's. I liked it when it started to fade and shows like The Office (reality TV backlash) and sitcoms like HIMYM and Big Bang Theory premiered, as well as action/adventure shows like Lost, Prison Break, etc.

What about 2 Broke Girls?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/08/22 at 1:36 pm

What about 2 Broke Girls?

Never watched that one but one show I liked from around the same time is the New Girl. Also Parks and Rec.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/08/22 at 8:31 pm

This is all a moot point. It absolutely doesn't matter how network broadcast TV ends up or whether it's reality shows. Network TV is toast, just like terrestrial radio. It's in the dumpster. We live in an on demand culture now. Nobody is watching so-called "appointment TV". Ratings have tanked. About 10 people watched the Oscars, for example, and ratings keep going down, down, down. People are streaming what they want, when they want. And the quality is there as well. So to even worry or predict what network TV will be doing is like saying "the Titanic will be changing it's decor". Doesn't mater. Down, down, down it goes.

Excuse me, but by your definition, I'm nobody. I listen to terrestrial radio (as well as YouTube, CD and vinyl). I watch TV, and appointment TV (and what I miss I have to catch On Demand or streaming), but a lot of that has to do with not having a DVR anymore. I'm one of those 10 people who watched The Oscars.

That said, I don't have a strong attachment to most of the shows I watch on network TV. I watch a lot of game shows, Nickelodeon, SNL, ABC sitcoms, and more niche/alternative shows. Sometimes PBS. The shows I really care about tend to be either on cable or streaming, or tend to be golden oldies, or both, or shows that I didn't get to watch the first time. I'm often too tied up to stick with streaming series, or if a show is on cable... I've never heard of the show until it becomes super popular and/or so long in the tooth that it's a lost cause... or I don't have the channel/service it's on, or it's on a channel I don't usually watch. Sometimes I have scheduling conflicts (and no DVR). Another issue is that my folks put parental controls on my cable box (which I hate!), so I don't always know what's on. (I have to pull up the cast/crew or actually watch it to know what it is.) The best shows tend to be TV-MA, so this is frustrating.

Currently, I'm watching Seinfeld on Netflix and The Sopranos on HBO Max. I want to get back into watching Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Tiger King and Unsolved Mysteries.

I categorically hate reality TV. Even with so-called celebrities, I'm like "Who are these people and why should I care?" I just have no interest.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/08/22 at 8:56 pm

Excuse me, but by your definition, I'm nobody. I listen to terrestrial radio (as well as YouTube, CD and vinyl). I watch TV, and appointment TV (and what I miss I have to catch On Demand or streaming), but a lot of that has to do with not having a DVR anymore. I'm one of those 10 people who watched The Oscars.

That said, I don't have a strong attachment to most of the shows I watch on network TV. I watch a lot of game shows, Nickelodeon, SNL, ABC sitcoms, and more niche/alternative shows. Sometimes PBS. The shows I really care about tend to be either on cable or streaming, or tend to be golden oldies, or both, or shows that I didn't get to watch the first time. I'm often too tied up to stick with streaming series, or if a show is on cable... I've never heard of the show until it becomes super popular and/or so long in the tooth that it's a lost cause... or I don't have the channel/service it's on, or it's on a channel I don't usually watch. Sometimes I have scheduling conflicts (and no DVR). Another issue is that my folks put parental controls on my cable box (which I hate!), so I don't always know what's on. (I have to pull up the cast/crew or actually watch it to know what it is.) The best shows tend to be TV-MA, so this is frustrating.

Currently, I'm watching Seinfeld on Netflix and The Sopranos on HBO Max. I want to get back into watching Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Tiger King and Unsolved Mysteries.

I categorically hate reality TV. Even with so-called celebrities, I'm like "Who are these people and why should I care?" I just have no interest.

Points well taken! I too watch PBS, and if there is a broadcast show I really want to see (such as the past 10 weeks when the new season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" aired) I will tune in when it airs. (Though I don't worry if I don't, because it's on demand.) I may have been overstating my case, but what I was trying to convey is that the old days of the monoculture and the GATEKEEPERS are over. The consumer is in full control now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/22 at 9:37 am

Speaking of the outdated Oscars and their cratering ratings, the no-ceremony Golden Globes, and now the postponed Grammy Awards, commentator Bob Lefsetz suggests doing THIS to drag the Grammys kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. What do you think? As we have discussed, the old network paradigm is all but dead and buried and they are the only ones that don't seem to know.

The Grammy Postponement
https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2022/01/09/the-grammy-postponement/

This is a chance for the organization to get up to date.

What I’m proposing is an 86 night extravaganza on social media highlighting the nominees in each and every category.

Let’s speak English. The Grammys can’t afford to piss off CBS, its benefactor. Without that big check the Grammys are SOL. But when you’re beholden to the dying old you’re behind the 8 ball when change finally arrives, and it’s hard to catch up. As it is the Grammys are out of touch with the public. As are the Oscars. You leave the public behind at your peril, you must keep people INVOLVED!

So it’s an 86 night pre-game show, a run-up to the actual ceremony, and it takes place on YouTube. Why YouTube? Because it has the most eyeballs and it’s free. Sure, some other platform will offer a big check, but that defeats the purpose. Sometimes you have to leave money on the table in the furtherance of your goal, which in this case is exposing the most people to the most music.

Let’s be clear, the public is flummoxed, they don’t know where and how to find new music. Did you read that MusicBusinessWorldwide story about 82% of the U.S. market being catalog? That’s right, over three-quarters, and it keeps going UP! Turns out the public is tuning out new music, or doesn’t know where to tune it in, so this is where the Grammys and YouTube come in.

Every night it’s a new category. That’s right, for 86 days straight a Grammy category is going to be featured. An explanation of the category, maybe even some history, and then the nominees themselves. And sure, it can be one half hour long stream, but even better is to break it up. This is how you do it. You can consume the whole thing straight, or you can consume the bits you want to, which are featured conspicuously on the Grammy YouTube page AND LIVE THERE FOREVER!

Now of course  you can just play the recordings, or the music videos, but with people paying attention, nominees will clamor to present new renditions. Which the Grammys will embrace. Cut it acoustic, do it live, make a new video, it’s the artist’s choice, and it’s at the artists expense.

Now the big categories are spread out through the three months. And maybe the big categories even get two nights in a row. And one of the reasons we do this is because we’re going to tie-in TikTok. For each big category we’re going to have a TikTok contest/challenge. With the winner flown out to the ultimate Grammy ceremony where they get to meet and and create a TikTok video with the act whose song they created the clip to. And, of course, pictures will be on the Grammy Instagram account. The Instagram account will be an endless stream of information and photos for the 86 days.

The key is to create a destination people return to on a regular basis. One and done is history. Like too many albums. They promote them and they’re over in a weekend, if not a day. That’s the wrong paradigm in today’s culture, you keep yourself out of the public eye at your peril. And one long Grammy show on CBS filled with commercials at an appointed time is so last century it’s almost not worth staging. Then again, there’s that contract with that big payment. Only 56% of Americans still watch satellite and cable TV. Think about that, Dan Bongino’s YouTube channel reaches more people than CNN. You’ve got to go where the people are, and make it easy for them and ON DEMAND, so they can watch it when they want to.

If other outlets want to get on board…

No. Everybody needs to know to start at YouTube, you can’t muddy the water here.

And let’s hope that this Grammy extravaganza causes outsiders to participate, not only on TikTok. We want naysayers to create their own videos complaining about who has been left out. And if the Grammys are smart, and they rarely are, an award must be added that is voted for online. I know the ballots are in, so we’re going to create a new category, Entertainer of the Year. I’m not married to the moniker, the hipper the better, but let the fans vote.

Make it available and get the fans involved. It’s not a difficult concept.

And CBS will have no complaints, this will drive traffic to its ultimate awards telecast. And as far as CBS having its own streaming platform… They can give the show away for free there, they can capitalize on the show, but they get none of the run-up on their outlet, because they’ve got too small a footprint and no buzz.

And in truth the awards ceremony should be on Netflix. Which can afford to pay for it and would. But then there’s that old CBS contract to contend with. Once again, you’re married to the past at your peril. But in this case the Grammys have some options and they should grasp them and try to save the organization, because they’ve done a good job of streaming straight ahead into irrelevance.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/22 at 10:27 am

Speaking of the outdated Oscars and their cratering ratings, the no-ceremony Golden Globes, and...

I am wondering has there been a good number of films released to justify to hold an Oscar Ceremony?

Written By: Howard on 01/11/22 at 3:24 pm

What new reality shows will there be in the future?

Written By: Ripley on 01/12/22 at 4:30 pm

Sadly. I would rather watch reruns of 90’s Real World, which I enjoyed, than the crap on now. Real Housewives (cat fights, whining, bragging), The Kardashians who didn’t become popular until Kim K’s p video. Maybe it’s not all bad. But the rich people ones get on my nerves.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/22 at 4:41 pm

What new reality shows will there be in the future?

They could do an InThe00s reality show.  We could all compete against each other.  Whoever wins becomes a Moderator with unlimited powers for the board.  ;D

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/13/22 at 6:16 pm

They could do an InThe00s reality show.  We could all compete against each other.  Whoever wins becomes a Moderator with unlimited powers for the board.  ;D

What should it be called?

"The Real Moderators of inthe00s"

"Dancing With The Decadeologists"

"Keeping Up With The Spammers"

"America's Next Top M0derat0r"

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/22 at 7:00 pm

I see what you did there.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/14/22 at 3:56 am

What should it be called?

"The Real Moderators of inthe00s"

"Dancing With The Decadeologists"

"Keeping Up With The Spammers"

This one sounds cool.

Written By: Girli on 01/09/23 at 8:29 am

Exactly all I the stuff I watch is on youtube and if besides all the best "reality" show is the internet, the stuff you can discover/watch/read whatever can be truly raw, real and uncensored  8), TV in the 2020s is literally a retirement home for those who hate the internet but that just my young brain talking. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...