inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2022 'Phrases That Should Be Banished' List Released

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/22 at 1:32 pm

Lake Superior State University has released it's annual list of the top 10 misused, overused or useless phrases submitted by people from across the globe. I, for one, am glad to see the awful "no worries" on the list. When exactly did this silly phrase replace "you're welcome"? Just because I thank somebody doesn't mean I have any worries! It's so inelegant. Nothing beats the gracious "you're welcome".

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/03/michigan-university-banished-words-list/9076189002/

The list:

Wait, what?
Topping the list of frivolous phrases is "wait, what?" which is commonly used in informal or social media language. The question is an inaccurate “response to a statement to express astonishment, misunderstanding, or disbelief,” said a response from a wordsmith.

No worries
This phrase is usually found as a substitute of "you're welcome," but writers are tired of it. Responses reflect the phrase's meaninglessness and overuse.

At the end of the day
This phrase made its first appearance on the Banished list in 1999, but at the end of the day, people still love to use it. Critics say "day" is an imprecise measurement and "things don't end at the end of the day."

That being said

People call the phrase a useless word filler and redundant justification. Other words such as "however," "but" or "that said" are better alternatives, according to the responses.

Asking for a friend

Many use this phrase to avoid being identified. Social media posts with the phrase hint at someone else, but we all know who you're asking for. Submitters cite misuse and overuse.

Circle back
"It’s a conversation, not the Winter Olympics," stated the university. It explained people use the phrase in conversation as if it's a skating rink and people want to go back to their previous location.

Deep dive
“Do we need ‘deep’? I mean, does anyone dive into the shallow end,” someone wondered. Others reminded those that they aren't near a body of water, so there's no need to use the phrase.

New normal
The overuse of this phrase stems from how the pandemic affected humankind, but one person says, "After a couple of years, is any of this really ‘new’?”

You're on mute
The COVID-19 pandemic caused many businesses and organizations to move to virtual meetings. And we've all been here. Let's hope we all can locate the unmute button in 2022.

Supply chain
Headlines were flooded with this term toward the end of the year citing the numerous issues we've seen with consumer goods shortages. One response said the phrase is simply a buzzword and scapegoat for any item that doesn't arrive on time.

Subject: Re: 2022 'Phrases That Should Be Banished' List Released

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/22 at 1:54 pm

I wouldn't use "no worries" instead of "you're welcome." I would use it when someone is apologizing.

I totally agree about "At the end of the day." Whenever I hear that phrase, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-DZa5cuFyk

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/22 at 2:02 pm

Hakuna Matata, is no passing craze, it means no worries!

nbY_aP-alkw

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/22 at 2:14 pm

Let me add one to the list.

Transformation

Written By: Howard on 01/11/22 at 3:20 pm

Lake Superior State University has released it's annual list of the top 10 misused, overused or useless phrases submitted by people from across the globe. I, for one, am glad to see the awful "no worries" on the list. When exactly did this silly phrase replace "you're welcome"? Just because I thank somebody doesn't mean I have any worries! It's so inelegant. Nothing beats the gracious "you're welcome".

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/03/michigan-university-banished-words-list/9076189002/

The list:

Wait, what?
Topping the list of frivolous phrases is "wait, what?" which is commonly used in informal or social media language. The question is an inaccurate “response to a statement to express astonishment, misunderstanding, or disbelief,” said a response from a wordsmith.

No worries
This phrase is usually found as a substitute of "you're welcome," but writers are tired of it. Responses reflect the phrase's meaninglessness and overuse.

At the end of the day
This phrase made its first appearance on the Banished list in 1999, but at the end of the day, people still love to use it. Critics say "day" is an imprecise measurement and "things don't end at the end of the day."

That being said

People call the phrase a useless word filler and redundant justification. Other words such as "however," "but" or "that said" are better alternatives, according to the responses.

Asking for a friend

Many use this phrase to avoid being identified. Social media posts with the phrase hint at someone else, but we all know who you're asking for. Submitters cite misuse and overuse.

Circle back
"It’s a conversation, not the Winter Olympics," stated the university. It explained people use the phrase in conversation as if it's a skating rink and people want to go back to their previous location.

Deep dive
“Do we need ‘deep’? I mean, does anyone dive into the shallow end,” someone wondered. Others reminded those that they aren't near a body of water, so there's no need to use the phrase.

New normal
The overuse of this phrase stems from how the pandemic affected humankind, but one person says, "After a couple of years, is any of this really ‘new’?”

You're on mute
The COVID-19 pandemic caused many businesses and organizations to move to virtual meetings. And we've all been here. Let's hope we all can locate the unmute button in 2022.

Supply chain
Headlines were flooded with this term toward the end of the year citing the numerous issues we've seen with consumer goods shortages. One response said the phrase is simply a buzzword and scapegoat for any item that doesn't arrive on time.

I use 'Wait, What"? a lot, I don't think it's overused, why do they think that?  ???

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/11/22 at 6:32 pm

I don't wanna say I disagree with this list, so I won't.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/22 at 6:42 pm

"Circle back" has been ridiculous since day one. Anybody who talks like that is an idiot. It's business-speak. I remember it showing up in a book called "Why Businesspeople Speak Like Idiots" some years ago. "New normal" is used wrong because, as the article points out, people keep saying it long after whatever was "new" has become just "normal". Think of all the people you know who STILL express surprise that they are hearing Christmas songs as early as late September or October, etc. It's been done for YEARS now. Just so you get the message, every year the Hallmark Channel runs commercials with Jack O Lanterns wearing Santa Claus hats. It's all one season now. Why are you still surprised? When does the new normal become "normal"? Just because somebody doesn't like it doesn't mean it's not "normal".

Written By: Ripley on 01/12/22 at 4:26 pm

Caught Me Off Guard
It Was Ahead if It’s Time
😏
I find it annoying when people use this first one in titles for reaction videos. Or when someone says that the song was ahead of it’s time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/22 at 4:40 pm

23 years ago I was offered a job as "Director of Supply Chain" for my company.  They wanted me to take the position to fix some major problems that they were having.

I told them that I had too much self-respect to take any job that had "supply chain" in the title, because anybody I ever met who blabbered on about "the supply chain" (and usually their expertise in it) was a blithering idiot and a quack.  So if they wanted me to take over the department, they had to change the name.

Which they did.  And then me and my team proceeded to kick butt...  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...