inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bob Dylan sells his master recordings to Sony Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/22 at 1:40 am

Bob Dylan has sold the master recordings to his entire back catalogue to Sony Music, in the industry's latest blockbuster music acquisition.

The deal, completed last July, includes everything from classic 1960s albums like Blonde On Blonde, up to his latest release, 2020's Rough And Rowdy Ways.

Billboard magazine says the catalogue is worth about $200m (£149m), based on annual revenues of roughly $16m (£12m).

Dylan previously sold his publishing to Universal Music for a reported $400m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60118887

Subject: Bob Dylan sells his master recordings to Sony Music

Written By: Dude111 on 01/25/22 at 7:49 pm

Thats sad....... It will all be turned into digital crap :(

Subject: Re: Bob Dylan sells his master recordings to Sony Music

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/22 at 8:02 pm

???  ???  ???

He's ben with Columbia/Sony since 1962. They have released all his albums and CDs. I would suspect it's all already "digital crap". If you want analog, search out the original vinyl albums. I have them. But then again, I bought them all when they were new.  ;D

I'm not exactly sure how this sale changes anything, since, as I said, he has already been with Columbia/Sony for over 50 years. Several years ago when he sold his publishing for some 300 million, now THAT was a big deal. Notice how many other artists followed suit. But, as usual, he did it first and set the tone. Dylan is still far more influential in the business than many people know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/22 at 8:07 am

Yes, the times are changing, and the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/22 at 10:32 am

As opposed to analogue crap? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/22 at 10:38 am

As opposed to analogue crap? ???

Analog is not crap. Soundwise, it is VASTLY superior to digital. But it's a moot point. None of this has anything to do with Dylan selling his masters to Sony, I don't know why people are even bringing it up. His analog masters are analog and his digital masters are digital, and will remain so. As far as whether Sony releases them in analog or digital I  don't imagine they will do anything different than they are already doing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/22 at 10:54 am

What could be worse is licensing the work out for all sorts of advertising. Like using “Buckets of Rain” to sell Depends undergarments, “Forever Young” to hawk cheap facelift creams, or “It Ain’t Me Babe” to promote paternity DNA tests.  :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/22 at 11:06 am

What could be worse is licensing the work out for all sorts of advertising. Like using “Buckets of Rain” to sell Depends undergarments, “Forever Young” to hawk cheap facelift creams, or “It Ain’t Me Babe” to promote paternity DNA tests.  :P

AGAIN, this is nothing that has not already happened. Dylan licensed "Love Sick" from his classic "Time Out of Mind" album to Victoria's Secret and even appeared in the commercial. He licensed "I Want You" to Chobani yogurt, in a commercial that debuted during the Superbowl. Google Instant (whatever that is) used portions of the "Subterranean Homesick Blues" video, both Kohl's and Pepsi have used "Forever Young", Brother Printers used “The Times They Are A-Changin', Co-operative Group used  “Blowin’ in the Wind” , Travelers  used “If Not For You”, and Dylan himself also appeared in commercials (with or without his music) for IBM, Chrysler and Cadillac/XM.

See all these commercials HERE:

https://bestclassicbands.com/dylan-songs-tv-commercials-12-10-20/

So, I ask you again, what has changed?

The only difference is that Sony now gets the profits for all this instead of Dylan. He got his humongous flat fee.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/22 at 6:25 pm

AGAIN, this is nothing that has not already happened. Dylan licensed "Love Sick" from his classic "Time Out of Mind" album to Victoria's Secret and even appeared in the commercial. He licensed "I Want You" to Chobani yogurt, in a commercial that debuted during the Superbowl. Google Instant (whatever that is) used portions of the "Subterranean Homesick Blues" video, both Kohl's and Pepsi have used "Forever Young", Brother Printers used “The Times They Are A-Changin', Co-operative Group used  “Blowin’ in the Wind” , Travelers  used “If Not For You”, and Dylan himself also appeared in commercials (with or without his music) for IBM, Chrysler and Cadillac/XM.

See all these commercials HERE:

https://bestclassicbands.com/dylan-songs-tv-commercials-12-10-20/

So, I ask you again, what has changed?

The only difference is that Sony now gets the profits for all this instead of Dylan. He got his humongous flat fee.

Yeah but I am looking for more hard core use.

Such as when the makers of Preparation-H approached the estate of Johnny Cash about using Ring of Fire to advertise their ‘rhoid cream.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...