inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/22 at 9:24 am

The Atlantic has run this very telling article.

Is Old Music Killing New Music?
Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking.

Read it HERE:

www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/old-music-killing-new-music/621339/

Excerpts:

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm. Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling. But the news gets worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police.

I encountered this phenomenon myself recently at a retail store, where the youngster at the cash register was singing along with Sting on “Message in a Bottle” (a hit from 1979) as it blasted on the radio. A few days earlier, I had a similar experience at a local diner, where the entire staff was under 30 but every song was more than 40 years old. I asked my server: “Why are you playing this old music?” She looked at me in surprise before answering: “Oh, I like these songs.”

Never before in history have new tracks attained hit status while generating so little cultural impact. In fact, the audience seems to be embracing the hits of decades past instead. Success was always short-lived in the music business, but now even new songs that become bona fide hits can pass unnoticed by much of the population.

Only songs released in the past 18 months get classified as “new” in the MRC database, so people could conceivably be listening to a lot of two-year-old songs, rather than 60-year-old ones. But I doubt these old playlists consist of songs from the year before last. Even if they did, that fact would still represent a repudiation of the pop-culture industry, which is almost entirely focused on what’s happening right now.

Decades ago, the composer Erik Satie warned of the arrival of “furniture music,” a kind of song that would blend seamlessly into the background of our lives. His vision seems closer to reality than ever.

Some people—especially Baby Boomers—tell me that this decline in the popularity of new music is simply the result of lousy new songs. Music used to be better, or so they say. The old songs had better melodies, more interesting harmonies, and demonstrated genuine musicianship, not just software loops, Auto-Tuned vocals, and regurgitated samples.

There will never be another Sondheim, they tell me. Or Joni Mitchell. Or Bob Dylan. Or Cole Porter. Or Brian Wilson. I almost expect these doomsayers to break out in a stirring rendition of “Old Time Rock and Roll,” much like Tom Cruise in his underpants in "Risky Business":

Just take those old records off the shelf

I’ll sit and listen to ’em by myself …

Subject: Re: Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/25/22 at 9:42 am

I can relate. My Spotify is dominated by pretty much nothing but older music. I have a couple songs from the 2010s, but one would conclude that I'm a big fan of '80s and '90s music by listening to my Spotify. I've said before that I think the current era is the weakest when it comes to popular music.

Written By: Contigo on 01/25/22 at 12:05 pm

Yeah .
I'd say 90% or more of the songs on my computer or iPod are music from the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s . The rest are from the 80s  and 40s

I'd guess that I have 4 or 5 songs from 1990 to today

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/22 at 12:18 pm

Yeah .
I'd say 90% or more of the songs on my computer or iPod are music from the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s . The rest are from the 80s  and 40s

I'd guess that I have 4 or 5 songs from 1990 to today

Songs on my computer, and what I listen on the radio are of the era you describe, plus I have various classical music, especially Beethoven.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/22 at 12:30 pm

I think there's a bigger picture here that people are missing. I mean, my preference for music of the 60s and 70s is legendary, and, as such, with this news I could be doing a victory lap all over creation. But that's not the point. The point isn't what your music preference is, or even WHY this is happening ("today's music sucks", blah, blah, blah). It's the fact that it's happening at all. When in history has the old overtaken the new? This is a distinct sign of a culture in decline, if you ask me.

Written By: Contigo on 01/25/22 at 2:34 pm

I think there's a bigger picture here that people are missing. I mean, my preference for music of the 60s and 70s is legendary, and, as such, with this news I could be doing a victory lap all over creation. But that's not the point. The point isn't what your music preference is, or even WHY this is happening ("today's music sucks", blah, blah, blah). It's the fact that it's happening at all. When in history has the old overtaken the new? This is a distinct sign of a culture in decline, if you ask me.

I understood the bigger picture you were trying to make, and its an excellent observation.  As I have got older I have discovered some new genres of music, and I like all of them, from pre-rock to the crooners, big bands, swing, jazz, ragtime , different periods of classical music, and I like all the genres and music, its all pretty good. The only music I do not like at all is music over the last 30 years, where has the talent gone? 
Old overtaking the new? Distinct sign that the culture is in decline? very possible. 

Written By: Howard on 01/25/22 at 3:06 pm

I can relate. My Spotify is dominated by pretty much nothing but older music. I have a couple songs from the 2010s, but one would conclude that I'm a big fan of '80s and '90s music by listening to my Spotify. I've said before that I think the current era is the weakest when it comes to popular music.

My Spotify just has older music and that's it I can't stand today's music.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/25/22 at 3:25 pm

The Atlantic has run this very telling article.

Is Old Music Killing New Music?
Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking.

I listen almost exclusively to old music - mostly late-50s to mid/late-80s.  (The one exception being CCM and/or church music.)  This is music I grew up with.

I have to say, the article makes me sad.  Why are 17 year olds listening to the same music I listened to when I was 17?  What does that say about the young up-and-coming artists trying to make a name for themselves?  Not that I'm unhappy that young folks like my music - on the contrary, it's great.  But when young folks pan "their own" music, that rubs me the wrong way.  I'd love to see this turn around; I think it would be good for everybody.  Music industry, are you listening?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/22 at 4:21 pm

Today's music ain't got the same soul. Just give me that old time Rock-n-Roll.

I usually listen to everything from '50s-'90s. I may have one or two albums written later than '90s but not much.

I think it has to do with the decline of radio. When I was a kid, I listened to a top 100 channel-WABC-AM radio in NYC and used to wake up to Cousin Brucie. He played all the latest music being produced in the day. As a teen, I graduated to FM where I listened to all the latest rock music being produced in the day. When I became an adult and started driving, I would still listen to FM in the car which played all the latest music that was being produced.

I stopped listening to the radio sometime in the '90s/2000s. So, I no longer hear the latest music being produced. I now listen to music either on my CDs (yes, I still listen to CDs) or YouTube.

In the past, when there is a new song out, it would be played over the airwaves to reach most of America via the radio. Now, how are new songs introduced? I don't know. Today, anyone can "produce" their own music and try to "sell" it to the public-but very few succeed at that.

I'm sure there are people out there making GREAT music today but where are they? How do they reach the masses? Video The Internet killed the radio star.

Cat

Subject: Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/25/22 at 7:39 pm

Of course old music is killing new music..

MOST MUSIC 0UT NOW IS GARBAGE.....

Im glad to have as much analogue as I have of stuff!

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/22 at 10:22 pm

I like today's music, but there's more songs I don't like than I do.  I make my own year by year playlists of songs I like from each decade.  An average one from the 80s has over 1000 songs.  My 2021 playlist has 168 songs

Written By: Howard on 01/26/22 at 3:25 am

I don't listen to the radio as much anymore so that's why I prefer the old music compared to today's crap.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/26/22 at 3:44 am

For every post-2011 song I don't like, there are countless ones I do like. Bieber? He has a few "decent" songs, but I'm not a fan. As far as current hitmakers right now (2020-2022), I'm big on The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo. Harry Styles had a pretty big era recently, as well, and to my surprise, I actually liked what he had to offer. I liked "You Broke Me First" and I'm loving Måneskin so far.

I also like to seek out artists who aren't quite as popular, or are indie (Bahari, Aurora, Sigrid, for example). I've also heard some new music from older artists like Abba, Tony Bennett, and former Styx frontman Dennis DeYoung.

As for where to find this new music, I still listen to the radio, KISS-FM, usually on Saturdays when they do Most Requested Live. I've found songs I would have had to dig through YouTube to find. I'm sure some pop stations are better curated than others. I found a lot of freshman major label artists who were on the verge of making it... or being dropped and going indie... or being relegated to cult status (The aforementioned Eden XO, Bahari, Melanie Martinez). Sometimes, one of these artists would manage to score at least one hit before disappearing into obscurity (Ruth B, Daya) or (more often the case) they'd never chart (either on Billboard or Mediabase). I was afraid Halsey would never have a hit, during her Badlands era.

I used to be an NMS. From 2001-2011, there was a period where I largely thumbed my nose at current pop musicians not named Britney Spears. It was "rock only" for me. At some point, I lost my classic rock station, as it had switched frequencies and moved to digital and I started listening to the Top 40 pop station for laughs. To my surprise... the music didn't suck. It was actually, unironically good. Every time I see an NMS, they remind me of me back then. (Strangely enough, a lot of the songs I wrote off in the 2000s, I later realized were actually pretty good, the ones that managed to stand the test of time.)

Now, while my radio is almost always set to KISS-FM, I do listen to a nice mix of music from across time. "Rasputin" is usually just a click away. I've gotten into Boney M. Most of my records were Grandma's, and most of my own records are new releases. My CD collection more or less reflects my changing musical tastes.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/26/22 at 5:27 am

Why do we remember 19th century music so well, when artists like Beethoven, Mozart or Verdi were around, but we can barely remember 1900-1940 music. Maybe we’re entering in that period of music again, where new music has to compete with the masterpieces of the past century and they’re simply losing the fight.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/22 at 9:34 am

Why do we remember 19th century music so well, when artists like Beethoven, Mozart or Verdi werce around, but we can barely remember 1900-1940 music. Maybe we’re entering in that period of music again, where new music has to compete with the masterpieces of the past century and they’re simply losing the fight.

What?

Seems to me that the music "industry" has become much less centralized, with lots of people self-producing their music.  I see it just about every week in our Sunday paper with local (and excellent) musicians releasing new albums (CD's).  They are also experimenting with blended styles like Celtic/Bluegrass, which is interesting stuff.  I think it's just rock that is in decline

Written By: Howard on 01/26/22 at 2:16 pm

For every post-2011 song I don't like, there are countless ones I do like. Bieber? He has a few "decent" songs, but I'm not a fan. As far as current hitmakers right now (2020-2022), I'm big on The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo. Harry Styles had a pretty big era recently, as well, and to my surprise, I actually liked what he had to offer. I liked "You Broke Me First" and I'm loving Måneskin so far.

I also like to seek out artists who aren't quite as popular, or are indie (Bahari, Aurora, Sigrid, for example). I've also heard some new music from older artists like Abba, Tony Bennett, and former Styx frontman Dennis DeYoung.

As for where to find this new music, I still listen to the radio, KISS-FM, usually on Saturdays when they do Most Requested Live. I've found songs I would have had to dig through YouTube to find. I'm sure some pop stations are better curated than others. I found a lot of freshman major label artists who were on the verge of making it... or being dropped and going indie... or being relegated to cult status (The aforementioned Eden XO, Bahari, Melanie Martinez). Sometimes, one of these artists would manage to score at least one hit before disappearing into obscurity (Ruth B, Daya) or (more often the case) they'd never chart (either on Billboard or Mediabase). I was afraid Halsey would never have a hit, during her Badlands era.

I used to be an NMS. From 2001-2011, there was a period where I largely thumbed my nose at current pop musicians not named Britney Spears. It was "rock only" for me. At some point, I lost my classic rock station, as it had switched frequencies and moved to digital and I started listening to the Top 40 pop station for laughs. To my surprise... the music didn't suck. It was actually, unironically good. Every time I see an NMS, they remind me of me back then. (Strangely enough, a lot of the songs I wrote off in the 2000s, I later realized were actually pretty good, the ones that managed to stand the test of time.)

Now, while my radio is almost always set to KISS-FM, I do listen to a nice mix of music from across time. "Rasputin" is usually just a click away. I've gotten into Boney M. Most of my records were Grandma's, and most of my own records are new releases. My CD collection more or less reflects my changing musical tastes.

What are your favorites from them?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/26/22 at 8:57 pm

I'm listening to plenty of new music, but it's all alternative and underground stuff. Not exactly chart toppers here.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/26/22 at 9:56 pm

What are your favorites from them?

Rasputin
Ma Baker
Daddy Cool
Sunny (Bobby Hebb)

Then maybe...
Rivers of Babylon
No Woman, No Cry (Marley)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/22 at 3:37 am

Rasputin
Ma Baker
Daddy Cool
Sunny (Bobby Hebb)

Then maybe...
Rivers of Babylon
No Woman, No Cry (Marley)

There are some others that most likely never made the charts that I like from Boney M.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/27/22 at 5:25 am

Some people—especially Baby Boomers—tell me that this decline in the popularity of new music is simply the result of lousy new songs. Music used to be better, or so they say. The old songs had better melodies, more interesting harmonies, and demonstrated genuine musicianship, not just software loops, Auto-Tuned vocals, and regurgitated samples.

There will never be another Sondheim, they tell me. Or Joni Mitchell. Or Bob Dylan. Or Cole Porter. Or Brian Wilson. I almost expect these doomsayers to break out in a stirring rendition of “Old Time Rock and Roll,” much like Tom Cruise in his underpants in "Risky Business":

OP, your post misses the all-important explanation for this phenomenon:

I can understand the frustrations of music lovers who get no satisfaction from current mainstream songs, though they try and they try. I also lament the lack of imagination on many modern hits. But I disagree with my Boomer friends’ larger verdict. I listen to two to three hours of new music every day, and I know that plenty of exceptional young musicians are out there trying to make it. They exist. But the music industry has lost its ability to discover and nurture their talents.

In fact, nothing is less interesting to music executives than a completely radical new kind of music. Who can blame them for feeling this way? The radio stations will play only songs that fit the dominant formulas, which haven’t changed much in decades. The algorithms curating so much of our new music are even worse. Music algorithms are designed to be feedback loops, ensuring that the promoted new songs are virtually identical to your favorite old songs. Anything that genuinely breaks the mold is excluded from consideration almost as a rule. That’s actually how the current system has been designed to work.

The problem isn’t a lack of good new music. It’s an institutional failure to discover and nurture it.

Having discovered Magdalena Bay a few months ago - pop music's best kept secret - I'm inclined to agree. There is plenty of downright revolutionary material out there, but it's all underground because it's never given a chance.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/22 at 9:20 am

The problem isn’t a lack of good new music. It’s an institutional failure to discover and nurture it.

While this is indeed accurate, doesn't the blame also fall somewhat on the shoulders of the consumers themselves? Just because it isn't being spoon fed to them doesn't mean they can't seek it out. In the old days of radio stations, record stores, etc, I would regularly seek out music I hadn't heard. I didn't wait until it was fed to me on the radio. I would buy albums that looked interesting without having heard a single song. And, in those days, it cost money to do that. Now people can do it  for free if they want. I think the general public just aren't interested enough o do that anymore. So we are back to where we started. The old has overtaken the new. A very unusual state of affairs.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/27/22 at 9:52 am

While this is indeed accurate, doesn't the blame also fall somewhat on the shoulders of the consumers themselves? Just because it isn't being spoon fed to them doesn't mean they can't seek it out. In the old days of radio stations, record stores, etc, I would regularly seek out music I hadn't heard. I didn't wait until it was fed to me on the radio. I would buy albums that looked interesting without having heard a single song. And, in those days, it cost money to do that. Now people can do it  for free if they want. I think the general public just aren't interested enough o do that anymore. So we are back to where we started. The old has overtaken the new. A very unusual state of affairs.

As a teen I used to be able to pre-hear music in the local music store, they would actually play the album for you.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/22 at 10:01 am

As a teen I used to be able to pre-hear music in the local music store, they would actually play the album for you.

The public library also had albums that one could either listen to there or take home. And they very frequently had off-the-beaten-track stuff like albums on Folkways, etc. This was a good way to hear new and different music without spending money.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/22 at 10:16 am

Listening in an audio booth in which two people could squeeze into.

The public library also had albums that one could either listen to there or take home. And they very frequently had off-the-beaten-track stuff like albums on Folkways, etc. This was a good way to hear new and different music without spending money.
My library used to charge a subscription to take out albums.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/22 at 10:51 am

They never did that in this country. Library services are always free. The problem was, a lot of  people checked out records (or outright stole them), and never brought them back. It was an ongoing problem.

Nowadays, libraries still have tons of CDs, but nobody steals them.

1) They can simply take them home and copy them and return the original.
2) CDs aren't really a thing anymore for a lot of people, so they are not in particular demand.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/27/22 at 11:29 am

This might be a controversial statement, but we really need to remove rap and its derivatives from the equation. It’s become so entrenched in and inseparable from the pop landscape in the last two decades and it’s the reason for all the software looping, auto tuning, and reliance on samples. It seemed like its popularity was starting to wane in the early ‘10s and then Gen Z brought it back with a vengeance. Sadly mainstream audiences are no longer impressed by dynamic melodies, god-given vocal talent, or musicianship with real instruments. They just want to hear a “sick beat.” There are exceptions of course like Adele and Taylor Swift but the bulk of what’s popular still seems to be the crap manufactured in a booth.

I’m glad people are revisiting older music in evidently huge numbers and hopefully it will inspire a new generation to bring back the elements that made old music so great.

Sincerely,

A 31 year old baby boomer

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/22 at 11:53 am

This might be a controversial statement, but we really need to remove rap and its derivatives from the equation. It’s become so entrenched in and inseparable from the pop landscape in the last two decades

BINGO! I was planning to post something about this. You are correct. For culture to move forward and become "unstuck":

1) ALL vestiges of rap/hip hop and any permutations thereof MUST GO. Including any future "changes" to it. It's still rap. There is simply no other way. It's too entrenched, it has made the culture stuck.
2) All "Marvel" type "superhero" movies MUST go. See reasons above.

Until this happens, culture will remain stuck.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/22 at 2:15 pm

Exactly, they used to do that at the record stores where you'd listen to a sample of the song before you bought the whole album.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/22 at 2:17 pm

They never did that in this country. Library services are always free. The problem was, a lot of  people checked out records (or outright stole them), and never brought them back. It was an ongoing problem.

Nowadays, libraries still have tons of CDs, but nobody steals them.

1) They can simply take them home and copy them and return the original.
2) CDs aren't really a thing anymore for a lot of people, so they are not in particular demand.

That's because people can listen to music for free on the internet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/22 at 2:18 pm

That's because people can listen to music for free on the internet.
CDs can still be played on the computer, and I still do.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/22 at 2:45 pm

I do that sometimes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/28/22 at 10:43 am

Listening in an audio booth in which two people could squeeze into.

Sounds like fun ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/22 at 10:45 am

Sounds like fun ;)
Booths like this.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xAQMPkQPDVQ/UST99JS2TuI/AAAAAAAACG0/yS2EILNbfI0/s640/listening+booth.jpg

Written By: nally on 01/28/22 at 9:23 pm

I can't do it with my current one. It doesn't have a CD-drive.

However, I do have a machine that I can play mine on.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/28/22 at 9:34 pm

I can't do it with my current one. It doesn't have a CD-drive.

They have external disc disc drives that you can plug into the USB port on your computer to play discs. I have used them and they work very well. They are also inexpensive. Get one.

Here's an example of one, but there are many models:

www.amazon.com/External-Blingco-Protable-Notebook-Computer/dp/B072BR5VWK/ref=asc_df_B072BR5VWK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309707619534&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9869364602552751635&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001990&hvtargid=pla-571235464471&psc=1

Written By: Howard on 01/29/22 at 7:20 am

Booths like this.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xAQMPkQPDVQ/UST99JS2TuI/AAAAAAAACG0/yS2EILNbfI0/s640/listening+booth.jpg

That's pretty old school.

Written By: nally on 01/29/22 at 11:00 am

They have external disc disc drives that you can plug into the USB port on your computer to play discs. I have used them and they work very well. They are also inexpensive. Get one.

Here's an example of one, but there are many models:

www.amazon.com/External-Blingco-Protable-Notebook-Computer/dp/B072BR5VWK/ref=asc_df_B072BR5VWK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309707619534&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9869364602552751635&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001990&hvtargid=pla-571235464471&psc=1

Interesting. I had not realised that such things existed. However, it would take up more space on the desk, and it would sorta defeat the purpose of having a nice compact laptop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/22 at 11:52 am

Interesting. I had not realised that such things existed. However, it would take up more space on the desk, and it would sorta defeat the purpose of having a nice compact laptop.

True, but many laptops these days don’t come with built-in CD players.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/29/22 at 12:01 pm

They are very trim and flat and take up no space at all. And when you are not using it you unplug it and put it away. Simple.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/22 at 1:52 pm

True, but many laptops these days don’t come with built-in CD players.

Mine does, you can just pop in a music CD and it plays right away.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/31/22 at 5:58 am

Listen, I'm with you; I am a person who consciously seeks out the deeper cuts. I think the last time I actually listened to Top 40s on the regular was around the time I joined here, almost 5 years ago. But the problem is that millions of music listeners, even people who would consider themselves connoisseurs, lack either the time or patience to do like me. And a bigger problem still: music is one of the most over-saturated creative industries in existence. There are literally tens of thousands of new musical releases everyday, between the mainstream outlets and more obscure ones like Bandcamp and Soundcloud. It could even be millions.

So while music consumers certainly share some of the blame if they're just mindlessly consuming whatever is being fed to them, remember that there is a holy sheesh amount of noise out there (no pun intended). It's probably a Herculean task just for talent scouts - who are trained to seek potential - to find the diamond in the rough, so imagine how difficult it would be for an average music listener to know where to look (assuming they have the time and energy to do so). (Edit to add: It's also a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Even assuming music promoters can justify their practices as just responding to consumer demand, how can consumers demand/say they want something they don't even realize exists?)

Another major factor here is, even if consumers did put in the time and effort to find worthy alternative and underground music creators, that's great, but it doesn't solve the problem of actually developing that potential. Only backing from major labels can do that. Grunge would not have exploded if not for SubPop, and hip-hop and rap may have just been trapped in the block party scene if not for DefJam records. Imagine if punk had never grown beyond CBGBs and Max's Kansas City. The locus of the problem here is industry labels have the knowledge, tools, and resources to lift underground bands and new, revolutionary sounds out of obscurity, but they won't, for reasons explained in the article. Without that proper nurturing of innovative talent, artists and genres stagnate and never evolve beyond their underground iterations.

And no, the problem is not hip-hop or rap, or at least it's not inherently those genres that is the problem (an accusation which frankly smacks of pearl-clutching moral panic). The problem is over-saturation of those genres. Hip-hop and rap - and particularly trap and mumble rap - just happen to be predictable, safe bets. So major labels seeking a safe, certain return invest and re-invest in those artists because they know they're assured to get that return. It's no different from the 2000s when we were over-saturated with rock music stuck in its post-grunge stage, which ultimately led to the demise of mainstream rock music. Over-saturation of these genres is the problem, not the genre itself. And until a talent scout out there decides to pick up another potential New York Dolls or Nirvana (or the vaporwave or electro-swing or neo-prog equivalent), underground musicians with obvious potential are going to fade into obscurity in the noise, and genres that could revolutionize mainstream music will stagnate.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/02/22 at 5:19 pm

If this is true, it's a shame. There's a lot of great stuff coming out now, people should be listening. It annoys me when older generations refuse to give new music a chance. Don't people get tired of listening to the same decade of music for their entire lives?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/22 at 7:36 pm

If this is true, it's a shame. There's a lot of great stuff coming out now, people should be listening. It annoys me when older generations refuse to give new music a chance. Don't people get tired of listening to the same decade of music for their entire lives?

Although you may have a point about older generations listening to a certain music (and that argument has existed for decades. I, a Boomer, used to say it to my own parents), the fact is that if older music has overtaken new music, which, at 70% of the market, statistically it HAS, then it's a whole lot more than just "older generations" who are listening to it. This is a culture-wide situation.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/02/22 at 10:33 pm

Actually, "older" me listens to three decades of music (late 50's to late 80's) and I don't get tired of it - in fact I discover "new" old music all the time and love it - alongside the many old stand-bys.

To your point about the great stuff coming out now, I have no qualms about listening to anything that strikes me as good.  But it's hard for me to pick out good new music out of the vast music universe.  Even the logistics of that is a problem.  I do agree 100% with you - new music deserves a chance.  But I think the audience for this exhortation is younger folks - unless younger folks embrace the "great stuff" coming out, it won't thrive.  In other words, waiting for us oldsters to take the lead on this issue means it won't likely improve.

Written By: nally on 02/02/22 at 11:34 pm

Actually, "older" me listens to three decades of music (late 50's to late 80's) and I don't get tired of it - in fact I discover "new" old music all the time and love it - alongside the many old stand-bys.

I feel the same way. I like to listen to "older" decades of music as well, plus newer stuff. A lot of the older music is new to me. Even posts on the "Your (decade) song of the day" threads have posts with songs I don't think I've heard before. That's how I learn about new stuff. :)

To your point about the great stuff coming out now, I have no qualms about listening to anything that strikes me as good.  But it's hard for me to pick out good new music out of the vast music universe.  Even the logistics of that is a problem.  I do agree 100% with you - new music deserves a chance.  But I think the audience for this exhortation is younger folks - unless younger folks embrace the "great stuff" coming out, it won't thrive.  In other words, waiting for us oldsters to take the lead on this issue means it won't likely improve.

Well stated. O0

Written By: Howard on 02/03/22 at 3:28 am

Not for me, it doesn't, I don't want to listen to today's music because it sucks.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/03/22 at 12:10 pm

But it's hard for me to pick out good new music out of the vast music universe.  Even the logistics of that is a problem.  I do agree 100% with you - new music deserves a chance.

Ah, you see? My point exactly!

Written By: Howard on 02/03/22 at 2:18 pm

Is your husband into the same thing as you are? What kind of music does he listen to?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/06/22 at 3:37 pm

Is your husband into the same thing as you are? What kind of music does he listen to?

Well, before we married his music library was almost entirely either CCM or Christian worship (which I have a substantial amount of myself).  We married and he started liking a lot of the 60s/70s sounds that I like.  He's had a special interest in late 70s popular rock (e.g. Supertramp, Jackson Browne) because he remembers it from his youth.  But he doesn't like disco.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/22 at 3:58 am

Well, before we married his music library was almost entirely either CCM or Christian worship (which I have a substantial amount of myself).  We married and he started liking a lot of the 60s/70s sounds that I like.  He's had a special interest in late 70s popular rock (e.g. Supertramp, Jackson Browne) because he remembers it from his youth.  But he doesn't like disco.

Does he like Doo-Wop?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/07/22 at 11:20 am

Does he like Doo-Wop?

Not a big thing with him.  If I listen to it and he hears it, he might listen and maybe enjoy it.  He doesn't "seek it out".

Written By: nally on 02/12/22 at 3:27 pm

Not for me, it doesn't, I don't want to listen to today's music because it sucks.

A lot of it doesn't interest me actually...but there are a few "newer" songs I actually like. Either due to upbeatness/catchiness, or their lyrical content has a good message.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/22 at 3:47 am

A lot of it doesn't interest me actually...but there are a few "newer" songs I actually like. Either due to upbeatness/catchiness, or their lyrical content has a good message.

I don't hate all new music today there are some that have some catchy beats and fun to dance to.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/22 at 8:26 am

I don't hate all new music today there are some that have some catchy beats and fun to dance to.

That's an abrupt change of attitude from your last three posts on this thread:

My Spotify just has older music and that's it I can't stand today's music.

I don't listen to the radio as much anymore so that's why I prefer the old music compared to today's crap.

Written By: nally on 02/13/22 at 1:34 pm

I can agree with this.

Written By: kitesarefun on 02/13/22 at 6:48 pm

I do try to make an effort to find new music like by browsing Bandcamp and Spotify playlists but I can't really find much I like, a lot of it sounds the same to me and feels like it lacks soul compared to older music. For me it's not due to paradox of choice, I waste hours looking for info on older and more obscure albums on  music sites like last.fm but don't feel motivated to do the same for new music.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/22 at 7:54 pm

I do try to make an effort to find new music like by browsing Bandcamp and Spotify playlists but I can't really find much I like, a lot of it sounds the same to me and feels like it lacks soul compared to older music. For me it's not due to paradox of choice, I waste hours looking for info on older and more obscure albums on  music sites like last.fm but don't feel motivated to do the same for new music.

I agree with this. And I know what you mean about he lack of soul, I have lamented this very thing for years. Where did it go? Has anyone noticed that so many indy bands have a distinctly "babyish" sound? As if they have no life experience at all.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/22 at 3:42 am

That's an abrupt change of attitude from your last three posts on this thread:

There was no need to quote me.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/14/22 at 8:55 am

There was no need to quote me.  ::)

When a person posts THREE separate times that they cannot stand current music, even going so far as to call it "crap" and say "it sucks", and then suddenly softens and says they can tolerate it because it has "catchy beats" and can be danced to, I would most assuredly say it is worth quoting. That's a sudden change of attitude that warrants discussion. Consistency is not your strong point. But it matters not. As Emerson so famously said, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".  ;)

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/14/22 at 1:19 pm

New artists put just as much passion into their music as old artists. Y'all are just too old to get into the new styles sorry

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/14/22 at 1:24 pm

New artists put just as much passion into their music as old artists. Y'all are just too old to get into the new styles sorry

Not entirely accurate. Kitesarefun, who posted the following yesterday, stated in an earlier post that they was born in 1999, which would make them 22-23.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/19/22 at 7:43 am

Ever since the Superbowl Halftime Show, Dr. Dre's Chronic and Chronic 2001 albums along with Eminem's have been back on the top of the charts.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/19/22 at 10:24 pm

This is probably an unpopular opinion here, but there have been some amazing country music artists debuting over the last several years. But you'll almost never, ever hear them on mainstream radio.

Written By: Girli on 01/09/23 at 6:45 am

is not that older is killing newer music, it that fact there is too much music being released thanks to 21st century tech where everyone (talented or not) can make music and publish it on a plethora of sites/independed labels, that said music can be good or bad but I think many people don't bother to listen because where in the 2023 now (3 YEARS deep in this decade) and another 21st century decade has come and gone and many advancements have been made, but the music industry is oversaurted to the point where there is *SO MUCH* to listen to and most pepople rather just cling to the old stuff since it's a maze going discovering music nowadays on the internet also "mainstream" artists/labels of today are trying their hardest to get peoples attention by rushing releasing an album in a very short time span with little to no thought put into or keep relying on people listing to the their old stuff it because their "fans" (especially new "fans") who can get bored if they don't release anything in 2 weeks they could go and listen to someone else who is similar or better than that artist thanks to a variety of music discovery platforms and 3 decades (00s,10s,20s) of 21st century music, but hey I don't blame them we all need to make money, and there are plenty of great new albums released today that can be appreciate by the upcoming and current generation (like me 8) 8) )

Check for new replies or respond here...