inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whoopi Goldberg Gets a Time Out

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/02/22 at 5:24 am

Legendary talk show figure Whoopi Goldberg (real name, Caryn Johnson) has been slapped with a two-week suspension by the ABC network, over comments she made regarding the Holocaust. To paraphrase, she said that the Holocaust was not because of Jewish race, but “man’s inhumanity to man”.

Which of course is silly because the Nazis were all about racial “purity”. Now all of that said, she was not justifying or making light of the Holocaust… but some people got their pants all in a wad over this and so she’s suspended. (For the record I am not a fan of hers, but the whole suspension thing is a childish, juvenile pandering-type action by ABC to satiate some idiots).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/media/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-suspended/index.html

Odd indeed, as she is the Elizabeth Warren of Judaism, claiming for years that she is ethnically Jewish, even though a DNA test suggested otherwise, and none of her traceable ancestors were Jewish.

This is not Caryn’s first run-in with controversial remarks. She once claimed that Roman Polanski’s rape of a 13-year old was not so bad because, after all, it was not “rape rape”.  :o

Subject: Re: Whoopi Goldberg Gets a Time Out

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/22 at 9:19 am

How come nobody ever mentions that Caryn Johnson has always used the alias "Whoopi Goldberg" as a sort of "comedic name" which she took on in less woke times. With "Goldberg" being a Jewish surname, this is rather offensive in itself. I think she may have been realizing this in these recent woke times, because I notice that often on the View she is billed now as just "Whoopi". But she's kind of stuck with "Whoopi Goldberg" and I think It may come back to bite her.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/02/22 at 9:23 am

How come nobody ever mentions that Caryn Johnson has always used the alias "Whoopi Goldberg" as a sort of "comedic name" which she took on in less woke times. With "Goldberg" being a Jewish surname, this is rather offensive in itself. I think she may have been realizing this in these recent woke times, because I notice that often on the View she is billed now as just "Whoopi". But she's kind of stuck with "Whoopi Goldberg" and I think It may come back to bite her.

Would it be any more or less “offensive” if her stage name were O’Hara or Ferrari?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/22 at 9:56 am

Would it be any more or less “offensive” if her stage name were O’Hara or Ferrari?

But she didn't, she picked "Goldberg", because, according to National World (1), "the name Goldberg reportedly came from the fact that her mother thought her name was 'not Jewish enough' for her to become famous." Which is highly odd in itself, as this was at a time when many Jewish performers like Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) and Melvin Kaminsky (Mel Brooks)were changing their names AWAY from Jewish sounding names to avoid anti-Semitism. Like everybody else, I kinda like Whoopi, but she says some silly stuff on the View. It's a garbage show.

(1):
www.nationalworld.com/news/people/whoopi-goldberg-what-did-the-view-host-say-about-the-holocaust-is-she-jewish-and-twitter-apology-explained-3549961

Check for new replies or respond here...