inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taylor Swift Course Launched at New York University

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/03/22 at 11:11 am

Taylor Swift Course Launched at New York University
https://variety.com/2022/music/news/taylor-swift-course-nyu-clive-davis-institute-1235170200/

Excerpts:

New York University’s Clive Davis Institute has introduced its first-ever course on Taylor Swift, which launched on Jan. 26 and continues through March 9.

Taught by Rolling Stone’s Brittany Spanos, the class will cover Swift’s evolution as a creative music entrepreneur, the legacy of pop and country songwriters, discourses of youth and girlhood, and the politics of race in contemporary popular music, according to a rep for the program, who noted that the course has a long waitlist.

The course description reads in part, “This course proposes to deconstruct both the appeal and aversions to Taylor Swift through close readings of her music and public discourse as it relates to her own growth as an artist and a celebrity. Through readings, lectures and more, the class delves into analyses of the culture and politics of teen girlhood in pop music, fandom, media studies, whiteness and power as it relates to her image and the images of those who have both preceded and succeeded her. We’ll also consider topics like copyright and ownership, American nationalism and the ongoing impact of social media on the pop music industry.

Subject: Re: Taylor Swift Course Launched at New York University

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/07/22 at 5:28 pm

WHY?? I actually imagined how cool a "Pop Music History" class would be, but why focus on such a specific artist?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/22 at 6:16 pm

This is why it's hard for me to have sympathy for people who take stupid classes in college and then go crying about how they have $100,000 in student loans to pay off.

College is a scam anymore.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/09/22 at 7:53 pm

Ew

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/22 at 5:08 am

Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a course on Britney Spears.  8)

Written By: Elor on 02/10/22 at 10:35 pm

Perhaps they’ll follow this up with a course on Britney Spears.  8)

Must be great for job interviews:
"I have a bachelor in Swift and a master is Spears."
"You're hired!"

::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/22 at 7:06 pm

Must be great for job interviews:
"I have a bachelor in Swift and a master is Spears."
"You're hired!"

::)

And said student will want John Q. Taxpayer to pick up the tab for their student debt.

Written By: Elor on 02/12/22 at 3:00 am

And said student will want John Q. Taxpayer to pick up the tab for their student debt.

Yep, some courses are just nonsense.
But quite frankly though I don't know any other first world country that charges for higher education. I think you're shooting yourselves massively in the foot with a for profit system that excludes plenty of intelligent people that just can't afford it or fear they might not be able to afford it. Just my 2c.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/12/22 at 8:51 am

But quite frankly though I don't know any other first world country that charges for higher education. I think you're shooting yourselves massively in the foot with a for profit system that excludes plenty of intelligent people that just can't afford it or fear they might not be able to afford it. Just my 2c.

Never underestimate the power of greed.

Written By: Elor on 02/12/22 at 9:19 am

Never underestimate the power of greed.
When it comes to the US I certainly don't. Nothing is sacred when the almighty dollar gets involved. You guys even have for profit prison systems. :o
Probably just a coincidence that you also have the highest incarceration rate in the world.... not. :-X

Written By: karen on 02/12/22 at 9:21 am

How does it work in Germany? In the U.K. you get a student loan (fixed amount) from the government that is re paid after graduation from your earnings once you reach a certain threshold. After thirty years the loan is written off.

Also all universities charge the same in tuition fees pretty much. The government set a maximum that could be charged, so surprise, surprise all universities charge this. In theory market forces could change this, but it hasn’t happened yet

Written By: Elor on 02/12/22 at 10:55 am

How does it work in Germany? In the U.K. you get a student loan (fixed amount) from the government that is re paid after graduation from your earnings once you reach a certain threshold. After thirty years the loan is written off.

Also all universities charge the same in tuition fees pretty much. The government set a maximum that could be charged, so surprise, surprise all universities charge this. In theory market forces could change this, but it hasn’t happened yet

University and college are basically for free. There was a time when 500€ had to be paid per semester but that was canceled some time ago. I had to pay around 130€ per semester as administrative fees back then IIRC. However a few things have changed since then (Diplomas were replaced by Bachelor / Master degrees and so on) so I'm not sure how the current system is handled. But there is no way you would start your working life with 50,000€ in debt.

Check for new replies or respond here...