inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oscars 2022: The Power of the Dog leads nominations

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/22 at 8:59 am

Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog, an intense western starring Benedict Cumberbatch, leads the Oscar nominations with 12.

It is closely followed by Dune, which has 10, and Belfast and West Side Story, which have seven each.

Olivia Colman, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Garfield are among the British acting nominees in the leading categories.

Dame Judi Dench and CiarĂ¡n Hinds are nominated for supporting roles.

Both appeared in Belfast, Sir Kenneth Branagh's autobiographical black-and-white film about a family in Northern Ireland during The Troubles.

The Oscar nominations in full

Subject: Re: Oscars 2022: The Power of the Dog leads nominations

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/22 at 11:27 am

I'm a little disappointed Lady Gaga didn't get nominated for House of Gucci

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/22 at 11:43 am

Personally for me, I like to see as many Oscar Nominated films so that I can choose for myself and try and pick the winning films, but this year like last year, it is difficult due to the pandemic, and the films are being shown on different viewing channels. Some I have seen, some I have not, and I am not paying to view all.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/08/22 at 11:47 am

The "Oscars" seem increasingly and increasingly outdated and irrelevant with each passing year. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/22 at 11:54 am

The "Oscars" seem increasingly and increasingly outdated and irrelevant with each passing year. 
That is the one thing I have been fearing over the years, now it is too much hype, with not so great films.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/08/22 at 12:07 pm

That is the one thing I have been fearing over the years, now it is too much hype, with not so great films.

It has consumed itself. It exists in a bubble. It's gone the way of "Miss America" which sort of still exists, but in a strange afterlife kind of way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/22 at 11:27 am

Personally for me, I like to see as many Oscar Nominated films so that I can choose for myself and try and pick the winning films, but this year like last year, it is difficult due to the pandemic, and the films are being shown on different viewing channels. Some I have seen, some I have not, and I am not paying to view all.

"The Power of the Dog" is on Netflix and next month "West Side Story" will be on Disney+.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/19/22 at 8:32 pm

I've seen a grand total of three movies nominated in any category: King Richard, Dune and Don't Look Up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/22 at 7:22 am

Just seen Steven Spielberg's remake of "West Side Story" and from the nominated films I have seen so far, it is the best directed yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...