inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Feb 2021 is where the early 20s truly culturally began

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/12/22 at 2:40 pm

A lot of people say March 2020 but the vaccine rollouts didn't happen and Biden wasn't inaugurated until January of last year. 2020 was in a transitional state that leaned more towards now than the 10s because COVID but it wasn't complete until Febuary.

Feb 2021 to now feels like its in the same era with minor changes. On the other hand say April 2020 for instance is in a very different position than April 2021.

Subject: Re: Feb 2021 is where the early 20s truly culturally began

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/13/22 at 11:16 am

Not sure how many would agree with this, but I've said before if it wasn't for the pandemic then 2021 would have been the more changeful/shift year, especially pop-culture wise. There is little to no trap music and instead there is a pop-punk revival like with Olivia Rodrigo and Gayle. There's also the rise of K-pop culture with BTS and Squid Game. Usually the inaugural year for a president is the more changeful year, even if the same president is elected for a second term (such as 2013 or 2005 for examples). Otherwise, I still think it's March 2020 which started the COVID/pandemic era.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/14/22 at 3:48 pm

Not sure how many would agree with this, but I've said before if it wasn't for the pandemic then 2021 would have been the more changeful/shift year, especially pop-culture wise. There is little to no trap music and instead there is a pop-punk revival like with Olivia Rodrigo and Gayle. There's also the rise of K-pop culture with BTS and Squid Game. Usually the inaugural year for a president is the more changeful year, even if the same president is elected for a second term (such as 2013 or 2005 for examples). Otherwise, I still think it's March 2020 which started the COVID/pandemic era.

2021 to me just felt like a continuation of the shift from late 10s music to more retro pop and pop punk starting to emerge from the underground with nothing drastically changing.

K-pop culture has been popular for quite a while as well. Gangnam style back in 2012 and you had BTS in the late 10s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/15/22 at 9:02 pm

2021 to me just felt like a continuation of the shift from late 10s music to more retro pop and pop punk starting to emerge from the underground with nothing drastically changing.

K-pop culture has been popular for quite a while as well. Gangnam style back in 2012 and you had BTS in the late 10s.

That is true with retro pop as it has been around since early 2020 with The Weekend, Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, etc. At the same there was still plenty of trap and the lo-fi sound. K-pop culture has been around but I felt like in 2021 it really had a breakthrough.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/20/22 at 3:04 pm

I gotta agree, it only makes sense that 2020 was transitional, being a year full of more change than... any other year in our lifetimes! Just think of the start to the end of 2020, it's almost like 2 different worlds!

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/21/22 at 4:26 am

I gotta agree, it only makes sense that 2020 was transitional, being a year full of more change than... any other year in our lifetimes! Just think of the start to the end of 2020, it's almost like 2 different worlds!

Yeah. It felt like a rollercoaster when we were going through it. It wasn't even just COVID. You also had widescale riots for months and a new US president. It was also the first proper year the UK PM was in office since he got elected at the end of 2019.

Check for new replies or respond here...