inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You can already tell 2022 isn't looking good for music

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/22 at 11:17 pm

It's not looking too promising. Maybe it's a sign mid 2020s music will suck? It's not looking good like the awesome music of 2020 and 2021 (especially 2020).

The only good popular hit that came out in 2022 was the Weeknd's song (I think it's called sacrifice).

Subject: Re: You can already tell 2022 isn't looking good for music

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/19/22 at 7:39 am

I noticed that as well. The Weekend's DawnFM and Snoop Dogg's B.O.D.R. albums are some of the only good music of this year. I also like Saweetie's new single "Closer" which I mentioned before that has the early 2020's disco-ish sound. My Spotify playlist for this year only has 6 songs.

That's one similarity 2022 has with 2006, and of course not a good one. It's actually gone downhill in the later part of 2021 with fewer good songs and further in between. Because of that, I keep listing to the same stuff in my drive to work and grow tired of them really quick.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/20/22 at 3:06 pm

We're witnessing a fragmentation of what people listen to like never before. Less people are keeping up with the "new stuff" and more people are either listening to older stuff, or underground/indie. I actually follow the charts, they're the weakest they've been in years. Something big needs to happen to get people re-interested in pop music again or it might end up dying out this decade

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/20/22 at 3:46 pm

I feel like most of the good music dropped in 2020 and first half of 2021, so artists/groups ran out of ideas for material to record.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/20/22 at 4:32 pm

We're witnessing a fragmentation of what people listen to like never before. Less people are keeping up with the "new stuff" and more people are either listening to older stuff, or underground/indie. I actually follow the charts, they're the weakest they've been in years. Something big needs to happen to get people re-interested in pop music again or it might end up dying out this decade

I don't know that it can. You already explained why in the beginning of your post. A fragmentation, a Balkanization, if you will, has occurred which is likely irreversible. There simply is no CENTER anymore. It's the reason there could never be a Beatles, for example, ever again, or any ONE BIG THING. The world just isn't set up that way anymore. The center did not hold.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/21/22 at 4:30 am

Pop punk seems like it's going to fully break mainstream this year(in 2021 I wouldn't say it was genuinely mainstream) and throwback pop is more popular than ever before so I would say this year is going to be pretty kickass for music.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/22 at 3:25 pm

As far as songs that debuted in the charts (so far) in 2022, I really like this one by Alesso and Katy Perry, but I've been a fan of both artists since they each made their debut all those years ago ...

Alesso and Katy Perry - When I'm Gone
N-4YMlihRf4

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/22 at 10:37 am

Looks like 2022 isn't looking good for anything (except movies) but for the sake of staying on topic for this thread, I was thinking that could be why so many hits from 2020 are still on the charts, like Blinding Lights and Levitating. I was also thinking about how at least 2020 had a lot of good, upbeat music to listen to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/22 at 11:00 am

With the current events happening in western Europe, it is not looking good if we start singing "We'll Meet Again"?

Check for new replies or respond here...